• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main R.O.B.?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
We robots all come from different backgrounds and have different stories. We're all here for our own reasons. What're yours? Playstyle preference? Plain nostalgia? Maybe something a bit more personal?
As for me, I got into R.O.B. after watching Chibo play a few matches on Smash 3DS. I was enamored by his Gyro play in particular, so I was interested in picking up the character, along with a few others (I really didn't have much of a tentative main in Brawl, so I was looking for some direction on who to use in the new Smash since my Melee main still hadn't made his big return to Smash yet). Fast-forward a month or so later when I finally got my hands on Smash 3DS. I quickly unlocked R.O.B. and went to town on the single player modes with him, and I was instantly hooked. Even when I tried out some of the others later down the line, no other character resonated with me as much as the Robotic Operating Buddy. Also, retro characters and robots in general are just cool.

Last edited:

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I was originally a Ness main, but I wasn't really enjoying it, so I decided that I would choose a random character on Classic mode and see if I liked how they played. The first one was ROB, and I stuck with them.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Brawl came out when I was 8. After I unlocked him I only played him because I ****ing love robots.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
So before Brawl had released in the states, there was this Japanese gameplay video and one of the characters being used in it was ROB. It was the cutest thing ever. And once I got used to his playstyle, no one else felt comfortable to me. It was also really fun to be known as that player who was actually contributing to the meta back then, because there wasn't a ton of ROBs out there to show what he was worth. And ppl always get hype to watch me play in both Brawl and Wii U. Gotta love hype robots <3

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Because information from my databases indicates that the Robotic Operating Buddy is superior to carbon based life.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Because information from my databases indicates that the Robotic Operating Buddy is superior to carbon based life.
This comment, LOL.

When ROB was announced in Brawl I wasn't too thrilled about ROB being in the game but around that time my love for Robots began to grow anyway. I started off maining Mario and Peach in Brawl. Was using Mario since 64. But I eventually decided to start messing with ROB and his design just felt right to me so I've been using him as a secondary since.

But now since I hate Mario's design in Smash 4 and Peach isn't very fun to use in singles in most match ups in this game, the Robot lives on. I still love his aesthetic (and I think they did a much better job with his appearance and stature since Brawl. He's less stiff and more lively despite still being a Robot.) and I've been placing the highest with him so apparently it was meant to be, lol.

Last edited:

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
When the game was announced but not yet released I had intended to main :4tlink:or :4bowserjr: My preference is zoning projectile characters which is evidenced by my mains in pm being :samus2: and :ivysaur:. Denti (a p-good ivysaur in pm) had gotten the japanese version of smash 3ds before it released here and I saw how good :4sheik: was. I figured sheik would become meta so I decided to get ahead of the curb and start practicing her.

I was getting pretty good results due to how broke she was in 1.0 but I didn't like her so I fiddled with others and ROB really struck a chord with me. I figured out a lot of the stuff I later saw pros doing and knew I had found my main. Anywho I now play :4bowserjr: also because I like the character design so much and Tweek (from S@X) makes him look so clean.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
I mained Meta Knight in Brawl as a kid. Playing the game with my cousin whom I couldn't beat using MK, I tried lot's of different characters. I tried ROB, and for some reason he just clicked, and I fell in love. His mechanical style and versatility make me love the character, I can never go back.
:dr^_^:

optimuskirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0746-7459
I actually only chose R.O.B., because... He is a robot. & after playing TONS of Brawl, I kinda just got used to him. His gyro game can be pretty awesome. I've gotten MANY off-camera kills by jumping off the stage, charge his gyro, & shoot it at the person while he is in the microscope... thing. I also like how in this game, he's actually shiny! In brawl, his textures just APPEAR for him to be shiny. (an example of actual Shininess in Brawl is Samus.)

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I have chosen ROB as my main because I have in interest in AI and robotics, so that contributed vastly to my decision to main him. I actually tend to choose robotic characters in any game that has them because of this. I also have developed an affinity for ROB from all the years I played as him, so I probably continue to main him for a long time coming. Besides, when I play him, I realize that ROB superior, flesh creatures inferior.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
i chose rob in brawl and loved the fact that i could beat my 2 cousins at the same time with him. fast foward now, i have gone through greninja, bowser jr, duck hunt, and nobody really clicked until i chose rob again. He just has soooooooooo much freedom, I legit think if somebody from melee, guilty gear, blazblue, persona 4 arena, skullgirls, marvel, or other complex fighting games came to smash 4, They would have common ground with somebody that played rob.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
His role as the Ancient Minister made me really feel for him. Iunno, I generally like to play as characters to play as that character. Playstyles usually comes second for me.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
Story time~
For most my melee and brawl years I was a kirby main
(and I know I was the best one, I spammed down b and beat all my friends and all the level 9 cpus
dont h8)
When brawl came out and me and my bro were unlocking all the characters playing through SSE, we eventually unlocked ROB. At first glance I thought he was the coolest character ever. I didnt know who the heck he was (in fact I thought he was just made up for the story mode at first) but he was a robot, robots are cool!
So I played as him
and my little 9 year old self was super sad.
I didnt know how to use him, his up b didn't do any damage, his laser didnt do anything, what does the spin top do, ect.
I personally thought he was like pichu and the worst character in the game and hated him.
When me and my friends played random we would always laugh at whoever got ROB. (and I'd eat them to copy the "PHASER LASER" he had, which I loved doing...it was a foreshadow...)
but to me at that age, ROB just looked like a dumb character and the absolute last thing that would ever become my main.

Fast forward to freshmen year of high school
I'm over my friend's house and beating him up with my kirby. He started to get frustrated and I was all "I'm better at this game than you!"
He then looks at me and goes.
"If you're so good, beat me with a character that isnt kirby"
I laugh nervously because Kirby was all I knew how to play, I stare at the select screen for about 5minutes.
"Well?" he snickers.
My smile widens as I go over and choose ROB.
"I'll beat you with the worst character in the game." I say. My friend laughs at me and the match starts.
After probably the longest match ever, I do win it and my friend rage quits.
I dont know what happened, but something about ROB...just felt good...
I went home that night and messed with him more, eventually starting to love this character to bits for how he played and just him as a character, I used him for the remainder of Brawl's lifespan eventually forgetting about kirby. When sm4sh was announced I made the promise I would finally play smash more seriously and do it all as a ROB main.
(then came the most depressing 2 years of my life waiting for him to get confirmed and when he did I was super happy)
and now im here

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Story time~
For most my melee and brawl years I was a kirby main
(and I know I was the best one, I spammed down b and beat all my friends and all the level 9 cpus
dont h8)
When brawl came out and me and my bro were unlocking all the characters playing through SSE, we eventually unlocked ROB. At first glance I thought he was the coolest character ever. I didnt know who the heck he was (in fact I thought he was just made up for the story mode at first) but he was a robot, robots are cool!
So I played as him
and my little 9 year old self was super sad.
I didnt know how to use him, his up b didn't do any damage, his laser didnt do anything, what does the spin top do, ect.
I personally thought he was like pichu and the worst character in the game and hated him.
When me and my friends played random we would always laugh at whoever got ROB. (and I'd eat them to copy the "PHASER LASER" he had, which I loved doing...it was a foreshadow...)
but to me at that age, ROB just looked like a dumb character and the absolute last thing that would ever become my main.

Fast forward to freshmen year of high school
I'm over my friend's house and beating him up with my kirby. He started to get frustrated and I was all "I'm better at this game than you!"
He then looks at me and goes.
"If you're so good, beat me with a character that isnt kirby"
I laugh nervously because Kirby was all I knew how to play, I stare at the select screen for about 5minutes.
"Well?" he snickers.
My smile widens as I go over and choose ROB.
"I'll beat you with the worst character in the game." I say. My friend laughs at me and the match starts.
After probably the longest match ever, I do win it and my friend rage quits.
I dont know what happened, but something about ROB...just felt good...
I went home that night and messed with him more, eventually starting to love this character to bits for how he played and just him as a character, I used him for the remainder of Brawl's lifespan eventually forgetting about kirby. When sm4sh was announced I made the promise I would finally play smash more seriously and do it all as a ROB main.
(then came the most depressing 2 years of my life waiting for him to get confirmed and when he did I was super happy)
and now im here
You know rob ain't the worst character right?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Better yet, in SSBB he started out being sixth on the tier list! I do not know where he is now but I think that last time I checked he was around mid/high.
Anyway he most definitely was not the worst in SSBB and did not even come close to being the worst.

This reminds me of the guy who lost with Snake and then said that Snake sucks because his smashes or F-Smash (I do not remember which) are so slow. Silly noobs and their messed up tiers.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
When I first played Brawl and didn't know a thing about how to properly play (I was suuuuper casual,most of how good a character was to me was how good their b button moves were, and none of ROB's moves really did any damage or killed) I thought he was lol
but those days are gone now, for I have been enlightened
I now know ROB is the best character ([OuO]

Last edited:

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
I've mained R.O.B. since the Brawl days since I like playing as robots and I also liked it's moveset. Fastforward to Smash 4, I'm really liking the new changes to it's movesets, combos, and the gyro shenanigans.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
As I'm still a fairly new player to SSB4, I've been experimenting with a lot of characters online, one of them being R.O.B. I had originally intended to main Ike, as he was my main in Brawl, but there seems to be less emphasis on aerial combat in this game, so the nair, fair and bair that were my bread and butter seem to clang into shields much more often than they used to. I hadn't really been able to get into the headspace of staying on the ground, until I gave R.O.B. and his laggy aerials a go. And then I just kind of kept going. I like his throws, his juggling potential, his kill power, his reflector, and his insanely great projectile game. My profile still calls me an Ike main, but I may end up having to change it, I've been playing R.O.B. pretty much exclusively lately and been having much, much better results.

blueaquajet3

Smash Rookie
Well, I can't say I played R.O.B. in brawl because I almost exclusively played Toon Link in that game, I still always liked R.O.B. Years later when smash 4 came out I questioned why they brought him back as I still wanted Mewtwo and Lucas back (well we know what happened there), and I wasn't too thrilled with his inclusion. I sucked at smash 4 because I trained exclusively off of CPU's in SSBB and got destroyed in my first few online matches. Eventually I learned and advanced my play with my main Shulk, who eventually got replaced by Samus. Sure I was good with them, yeah, but I could not beat one of my best friends who mains dedede. Always got super close but never won. Some time in the future I got bodied by a Sonic and realized just how bad Samus was in the Sonic matchup, in fact, so bad that I wanted to learn a new character that could combat Sonic, and maybe even my friend's dedede. I took a look at the character select screen and that one little robot in the corner caught my eye... the character that absolutely demolished me every time I ran into one on for glory. I picked R.O.B., fought a computer opponent, and everything felt natural to me. Come time a month later I'm taking names and finally beating Sonics and my friend's dedede. He's my best character out of any smash game and I'll continue to use him and his glorious gyros.

1FC0

Smash Lord
When I first played Brawl and didn't know a thing about how to properly play (I was suuuuper casual,most of how good a character was to me was how good their b button moves were, and none of ROB's moves really did any damage or killed) I thought he was lol
but those days are gone now, for I have been enlightened
I now know ROB is the best character ([OuO]
R.O.B.'s B moves except for B> were incredible in SSBB. Also both Gyro and Super Robo Beam were kill moves, and the Gyro could do up to 18% damage.

In fact killing with the laser was one of my favorite ways to kill.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
Found out who he was in 2005. (Mario Kart DS), Have loved the character since then, (Because of how he looked.) I bought a R.O.B. a few years later, because of how great he is. You can't image how happy I was when he got announced for Brawl. Now I could play as him in another game besides Mario Kart DS!

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Perhaps I'm a bit shallow compared to the other stories here, but I picked him in Smash 4 because I happened to enjoy his new play style and how fluently he moved. That, and I did like his role in the SSE, even if I dislike the SSE itself.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
I love how ROB helped save the gaming industry but he goes pretty unnoticed about it. He an underdog.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
First post on Smashboards ever. What better thread to post in for a R.O.B. main?

I started playing R.O.B. as a main in Brawl and was happy to see that he is still a blast to play in Sm4sh. His play style is unique and his projectile game fits my personalstyle for the game. Plus, what could be cooler than a retro robot accessory?

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
First post on Smashboards ever. What better thread to post in for a R.O.B. main?

I started playing R.O.B. as a main in Brawl and was happy to see that he is still a blast to play in Sm4sh. His play style is unique and his projectile game fits my personalstyle for the game. Plus, what could be cooler than a retro robot accessory?
In that case, welcome to the boards!

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
In that case, welcome to the boards!
Thank you MintyBreeze. I actually registered over a month and a half ago but my registration e-mail never came through. Smashboards took an eternity to fix this for me. Happy to finally be here though.

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
Though ROB isn't my main, he's definitely a character I love playing. One reason I love him is Robo Beam. The laser goes straight through any projectile, which is very useful in For Glory since it punishes the crap out of those annoying projectile spammers. Whenever I'm having trouble with those kind of players with my mains (ZSS and Mewtwo) in FG, I always switch to ROB because that Robo Beam is a way of saying "**** you, and your annoying play style".
Then there's the Gyro, which is the most beautiful thing in like ever. It punishes campers, can be used for edgeguarding (if used correctly), and speaking of if used correctly, it can rack quite a bit of damage.
And need I mention the exquisite d-throw which can be used to set up that lovely u-air juggle? I think not.

zakzedd

Smash Rookie
NNID
zakzedd
I attempted to attend my first Project M tourney with Ike, but people kept beating me because everyone already knew how Ike works. Tried my other secondaries, Ivy and Ganon, but the only char I could beat people with was Rob. I hadn't even lab bed with him at all, So my pm main became Rob.

As for sm4sh, I tried shiek, pika, rosa and Luigi for a while, but never really beat many people. With our largest tourney in my country coming up, I needed a main, so I tried Rob because PM. Turns out I kick ass with him too. Used him for the one time we played brawl too.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Down taunt and winning screen that screws his robotic body back to place. Nough said ;)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Aside from the fact that I love retro characters I also believe it was because he fit my play-style rather well. When he was announced for Brawl I felt indifferent. A new character was nice but at the same time I didn't have the need to play as him.

My current Mains in Brawl at the time were: :gw::kirby2::zelda::peach::toonlink:

Once I unlocked ROB and started playing as him in Classic Mode, against friends, etc I slowly started to get into him. If I remember right in Brawl he was a bit of a light weight, and one thing I've noticed throughout all the Smash games is I typically tend to go for the lighter weight characters. I was just never fond of the whole heavy/tank style compared to my friends who believed heavier and more brute force was always better (of course my viewpoint changed a little when ROB became heavier and I grew fond of Dedede).

It also helped that I was also fond of a long distance play-style as well. Of course I had my up close and personal characters too. Either way, I began to love ROB more and more with each passing day. I will never grow tired of that Robotic Operating Buddy.

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
Though ROB isn't my main, he's definitely a character I love playing. One reason I love him is Robo Beam. The laser goes straight through any projectile, which is very useful in For Glory since it punishes the crap out of those annoying projectile spammers. Whenever I'm having trouble with those kind of players with my mains (ZSS and Mewtwo) in FG, I always switch to ROB because that Robo Beam is a way of saying "**** you, and your annoying play style".
Then there's the Gyro, which is the most beautiful thing in like ever. It punishes campers, can be used for edgeguarding (if used correctly), and speaking of if used correctly, it can rack quite a bit of damage.
And need I mention the exquisite d-throw which can be used to set up that lovely u-air juggle? I think not.
This montage pretty much sums up why I enjoy him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGmJqzuIIc

1FC0

Smash Lord
If I remember right in Brawl he was a bit of a light weight, and one thing I've noticed throughout all the Smash games is I typically tend to go for the lighter weight characters. I was just never fond of the whole heavy/tank style compared to my friends who believed heavier and more brute force was always better (of course my viewpoint changed a little when ROB became heavier and I grew fond of Dedede).
Your memory banks have faulty data. R.O.B. was the tenth heaviest character in SSBB.

Bob Cabbage

Smash Rookie
When I first got the 3DS version, I played an online match. My only main at the time was Shulk, and I ended up fighting a R.O.B., who destroyed me. Afterwards I became interested and started using him. I've been in love ever since.

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
I liked his design, in brawl he was the only character to hover everywhere and not have legs or feet, and his move set felt unique. plus he wasn't commonly mained by people which was the only reason i never used him in mario kart.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I fell in love with the destructive robot back in the brawl days when I was about 17 I never intended to main him as I mained Samus and I think Wolf at the time. But R.O.B. ended up just clicking with me and quickly became my best character. In smash 4 I was at first thrown off by the differences of him this game and wasn't that interested in him until I saw Mister Eric on stream at shuffle. I knew that by just studying him and a few others and learning how best to apply his kit this game I could once again become a very good R.O.B. player. After a week of practice I was already beating the best people in my area with him and new it was the start of something special and since then have won and placed well at many tournaments lately mostly playing our favorite killing machine :). If I had to some up what I love about R.O.B. is that he is an excellent zoner with a very versatile kit and unique moves and playstyle. I also like that he is uncommon in the tournament scene so people don't have much experience versus him and many have no idea just how good he really is!

Meatman

Smash Rookie
R.O.B. that magnificent robot. Really what made me want to main rob R.O.B. was initially his Japanese design, I really liked the way he looked with his cream and red colors. What helped was definitely his actual playstyle itself. I loved really everything about his playstyle especially his aerials (that bair). I eventually took a liking to him and invested time into learning him and optimizing his playstyle. Thats about it, not really a special story like some other people's.

Top Bottom