• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main R.O.B.?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I fell in love with the destructive robot back in the brawl days when I was about 17 I never intended to main him as I mained Samus and I think Wolf at the time. But R.O.B. ended up just clicking with me and quickly became my best character. In smash 4 I was at first thrown off by the differences of him this game and wasn't that interested in him until I saw Mister Eric on stream at shuffle. I knew that by just studying him and a few others and learning how best to apply his kit this game I could once again become a very good R.O.B. player. After a week of practice I was already beating the best people in my area with him and new it was the start of something special and since then have won and placed well at many tournaments lately mostly playing our favorite killing machine :). If I had to some up what I love about R.O.B. is that he is an excellent zoner with a very versatile kit and unique moves and playstyle. I also like that he is uncommon in the tournament scene so people don't have much experience versus him and many have no idea just how good he really is!
<3

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep. I mained Doc for many years in Melee, and when Brawl came out I tried finding a replacement character by testing everyone on Random. Rob is the only one that I thought was cool and unique, so I stayed with the Robot. Laser and fsmash are the best moves ever. Beep!

earthman888

Smash Rookie
Sm4sh was pretty much the first smash game that I played where I didn't absolutely suck. At first I mained Game & Watch but then found it frustrating to play as him due to his lack of good kill options and his low weight. So I went on the quest to find a new main. It needed to be unique, powerful, and not be a character so common and shall I say "tier strong" so that I wouldn't be considered a tier junky. So one day I looked at the roster, saw r.o.b. and was like "eh why not". Turns out he was actually a really cool character and I got the hang of him rather quickly. Also seeing footage of Mister Eric at tournaments just strengthened my love for this character.

KefkaTheMighty

Smash Champion
NNID
SpikeSpiegal777
Sm4sh was my first game that I went competitve for. I got into the competitve scene in December, and I mained villager that time. I wasn't satisfied and started to play around the cast. I watched Chibo play ROB and I felt enamel red by his play style, and vowed to make him my main. Since then I've vastly improved, placing fourth in a local tournament with other hardcore sm4sh players. That's pretty much my experience with ROB and Sm4sh.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I like R.O.B's gyro shenanigans.

I love the feeling of z-dropping the gyro into an up smash for a kill and just the different mix up potential R.O.B has really makes him feel exciting to use.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I remember picking ROB up when I first got Smash for 3DS. I played a couple of matches with Pikachu and then I went out to try some of the other characters. I found ROB to be quite fun to play as, not only that but he is very versatile in my eyes.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Started playing him after watching a few tournament matches of ROB vs Link. I've always liked playing unorthodox characters, especially in fighting games.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Because he's cute, viable, fond of his moveset, used him in Brawl a lot, and he seems obscure as a character since no one saw him making it into Smash.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Sm4sh was my first game that I went competitve for. I got into the competitve scene in December, and I mained villager that time. I wasn't satisfied and started to play around the cast. I watched Chibo play ROB and I felt enamel red by his play style, and vowed to make him my main. Since then I've vastly improved, placing fourth in a local tournament with other hardcore sm4sh players. That's pretty much my experience with ROB and Sm4sh.
I know it's late but...

:3

DJGameGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJGameGuy
Back in Brawl I decided to try playing as him after hearing all of the hate for him after his reveal as a part of the roster, and previously playing as him in Mario Kart DS. After seeing his role in the SSE and learning his playstyle I fell in love with him, Gyro shenanigans were some of the most fun I had with that game despite him not being very good in it. Now in Sm4sh he has received some significant changes that have kept my fire for the robot burning strong.

I also love seeing the looks on peoples' faces when seeing I play R.O.B. competitively, I may not be the best but for a lot of people the matchup seems refreshing, win or lose.

Pluffington

Smash Rookie
Actually, before i started to main R.O.B, my main was Lucas. But he got boring pretty fast. I saw MisterBeepEric playing R.O.B on his stream, having fun, and doing sick combos. I was all like "Teach me Senpai" I ended up teaching myself R.O.B, it was great! That's basically my story :p

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
So I started using R.O.B. back in Mario Kart DS and was thrilled when I saw him in Brawl. Originally, he wasn't my main (it was Mario since I used him in the past games), but fueled by the need to show R.O.B.'s worth to the neanderthals that wanted silly characters like Ridley and Geno, he quickly became my most used character and my pick in tournaments. My love for R.O.B. carried over to Smash 4, with the only character I like as much being male Wii Fit Trainer.

R.O.B.'s wire coil that connects his torso and base is my favorite thing about him, and his up throw is my favorite throw in Smash Bros. history.

I also really, really, really hope they fix R.O.B.'s eyes in the next patch. R.O.B.'s emotions need to be showcased just like every other character's and it's unfair that Sakurai is deliberately ignoring the glitch. I'm actually really close to writing a letter to Sakurai with your signatures on it to get him to fix it.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
This is a lot longer than I thought it'd be :p
I tried to remember the very first time I actually started liking R.O.B.
It's still a bit fuzzy, but what I can actually remember is still sort of shocking to me.

Basically, R.O.B. was one of the few characters in Brawl that I just couldn't understand. He was one of those characters that you would get after pressing Random, sigh, then proceed to get your butt kicked because you couldn't spam anything correctly.

At some point, I started playing sorta competitively (but still without knowing the community), and I don't know whether I was trying to get good at every character or if I was just looking for a main, but I tried R.O.B. again.

This time, I tried using moves other than the slightly-spammable Side-B. Obviously, that meant using Neutral-B and Down-B. That was completely enough for him to become on par compared to my other secondaries at the time, along with few other moves.

By the time I playing Smash 4, I found out about the competitive community, eventually decided to main R.O.B., and can now shamelessly advertise my YouTube channel.

So basically, I guess I main R.O.B. because projectile spam is fun.
If I had to explain why I still stick to R.O.B., that'd take a few more paragraphs, so I'm done for now.

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
Back when Brawl was still fun, there was a character I had no idea about. All I knew was that he was a robot and robots are cool. Once I unlocked him I was super excited and glad to play a character I didn't know about. Now, Smash 4 comes around. I stopped playing Brawl with my last main being Ike because why not, and began to get into competitive play. I picked up Bowser Jr. and Game&Watch, but I wasn't having much success with the latter character. So, I began soul searching. I stumbled across R.O.B. and he just felt right. I began using him on For Glory (like a scrub) and my love for him was strengthened and will most likely never perish.

PIXLEsauce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cheatingtaco
3DS FC
2320-6152-1291
when i played brawl i played him because he's a robot with lasers

i play him in smash 4 because he's a robot with lasers

he's a robot with lasers

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
I'm loving the shield pressure you can give when hopping back and forth, alternating between gyro and angled laser. Also, it's hilarious watching others trying to punish a retreating nair in vain.

If shield regen gets nerfed, GG.

ROB also compliments my G&W because I can switch from zoning & traps to mobility & unpredictability.

Last edited:

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
R.O.B isn't actually a Main for me, and not even really a Secondary since I haven't truly mastered him yet.

But honestly, its how he plays and the functions of the Gyro and how... fluent he feels when I play him. He also happens to stuff out characters that beat out how I play Little Mac quite a lot of the time, specifically other Little Macs, Mario, and for some reason Fox, all three of which (minus Fox to a limited extent) I partially struggle with as my good 'ol main. Landing with Lasers and Robo Hoo-Hah is always a pleasure, and the ability on the one Animal Crossing with the side-to-side moving platforms to up throw suicide... Ah, glorious.

Also, ARM REFLECTOR IS STUPIDLY FUN TO USE.

ArKlaV

Smash Rookie
I main our fabulous little robot for many different reasons. I used to (and still do) main the pits, but i noticed that I had a lot of trouble with rush-down characters such as :4yoshi: and :4falcon:, so i decided to pick up a character that could zone them out and keep them at bay, and now :4rob: is working wonderfully for me as a dual main with Pit/dPit.

Although I did play him in brawl, i wasn't competitive at all, and really only played against cpu's and occasionally with friends. I still found the character interesting, and didn't want to betray him.

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
I unlocked him on the Wii U version, decided to try him out, liked how he played, loved him ever since. R.O.B seemed like a simple character to use (to me). The way you have to rely on his gyro for help in your battle, and how you have to space your lasers effectively are pretty much something I look into a character that has projectiles. Ever since, I mained him along with :4falcon:

nikochen4

Smash Rookie
Back then my temporary main was meta knight, if you can call main to just spam Special attack, then one day i was playing chosing random, and there he was, i felt that it was easy to use, his gyro was lovely and its fuc*** awesome.

1FC0

Smash Lord
ARM REFLECTOR IS STUPIDLY FUN TO USE.
I agree that it is fun to use but it is the worst reflector in the game which is a pity. You need to not only predict what the opponent is going to do but also exactly when and far in advance too and it is pretty risky to mispredict. Though maybe that makes it more satisfying when it succeeds as reflector.

Top Bottom