• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main or play as Roy?

TheMasonOrder

Banned via Warnings
Just something I want to know, why do most people play as Roy and why not better characters like Marth?

My reason is that I find Roy to be so overhated and I feel bad for the poor guy (I can simulate the same problem that he had with me in the past and today), so I began to use him more.

So my Roy brethren, tell us why you play or main Roy whether you like him, hate him, don't care for him, etc.

Zerthex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3883-6084-5037
He was my favorite as a kid because of the fire sword and as a result of playing him so much he became my self-insert character. Finding and executing the strengths in a relatively bad but interesting character is rewarding.

Last edited:

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
I wanted to switch mains over before I got into serious practice to get in this game again (Because I awful) and after play testing a crap ton of characters, I realized I really like playing Roy as a character. I always liked him better than Marth when I was younger, and him being Low Tier makes it all the more satisfying if I can crush my opponent.

Roy is my Boy. :3

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
When I used to play Melee many 10 years ago I used Roy and was oblivious to the deeper side of the game so my character choice did not matter. Over time thought from watching Ken play Marth and noticing Roy's severe limitations I grew to prefer Marth and now just much prefer the character. He is just so much more flashy and can actually follow up and control the stage. I still use Roy on occasion just for kicks for old times sake but can't imagine playing his for real. I feel he would stunt my growth because there is so little that character can do and can barely make use of conversions.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I play Roy because he's fun, mainly. Yeah, he sucks in a lot of respects, but when your opponent knows that and you still KO him with a pivot Fsmash or DED combo, it makes it all the more satisfying. Plus I like his gold costume a lot.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I picked up Roy for the first time in 12 years about 2 months ago. It was really really awful, but I did it because I stumbled upon the thread actually using Roy or something like that in the Roy boards. I play Ness, so I figured I would try to help them figure out any options at all. Turns out, I couldn't add a thing to the thread, though I tried. In any case, I hate the character, but he is our boy, and he looks great in blue. I really enjoy seeing someone make him look remotely good, because I finally know how awful he is. That said, I never really liked playing as him or Marth before I new about how deep the game was.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
I play Roy because I hate tiers and he's not bad. You just need to know how to use him.
The general consensus of Roy mains is that he is a bad character. It's sad, but true. If you learn him well and play perfectly, you still can win; but it won't come nearly as easily as a perfectly played Fox, or quite a few others.

I'm not saying don't play him, but I am saying don't expect to find some magic technique that puts him on uber tier.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Roy is a terrible character. Don't trick yourself into thinking he's good. He's not. That being said, terrible characters with the right player can place well, AXE and Taj being the most notable examples. If you hate tiers then I'm not sure what to tell you, tiers are indicative of how well a character places. If Roy ever placed consistently at the top of a tournament then maybe he would be higher on a tier list.

Also I play Roy because I like developing the metagame.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I play Roy because I hate tiers and he's not bad. You just need to know how to use him.

I think its 2013 and we should stop hearing this stuff =P

Anyways, I play roy because I am unexplicably drawn to his playstyle, like I am with sentinel in UMVC3.
I never like characters for particular reasons, I just use who I think is fun :D

low tier user

Smash Cadet
I think its 2013 and we should stop hearing this stuff =P

Anyways, I play roy because I am unexplicably drawn to his playstyle, like I am with sentinel in UMVC3.
I never like characters for particular reasons, I just use who I think is fun :D
But what year it is does not determine whether I talk about tiers or not. I like his and Ganondorfs playstyle.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
We're not saying talking about tiers is bad. You just need to understand that Roy is bad. If you ever plan to get really good with Roy, you need to understand that he's bad.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I just like Roy as a character, I can't really explain it. I know he's a pretty bad character but he just has that coolness factor and of course fire.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Roy can be fun against space-fallers

Or against someone who's just straight up worse than you

Or Roy dittos

Against any heavy/floaty characters though, playing Roy is ****ing TORTUROUS imo

I have all the respect to you guys, because Roy really REALLY sucks lol

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I love Roy. He's bad, that's why I play marf, but he's loads of phun and has sexeh ph1r3. It feels great to kinda do well with such a bad character =)

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Because he became my auto main since he was the only one I ever played with in Melee when I was younger. And he's a challenge/fun to play.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
Roy is a terrible character. Don't trick yourself into thinking he's good. He's not. That being said, terrible characters with the right player can place well, AXE and Taj being the most notable examples. If you hate tiers then I'm not sure what to tell you, tiers are indicative of how well a character places. If Roy ever placed consistently at the top of a tournament then maybe he would be higher on a tier list.

Also I play Roy because I like developing the metagame.

Roy isn't terrible, just not good. You should also be aware that the tier list is based around tourneys and is only consistently based on how people play those characters. If there are a lot of fox and Marths, they will develop to the point of going to the top. Remember when Mewtwo left the bottom of the trash to Pichu? With enough time, he can juggle almost anyone from low to high percents. I've done it before so improvements still exist. I still haven't found a single person figure out how to use Roy's tips. He has 3 decent ones that are really helpful, and I don't mean the d-tilt or neutral b either.

I use him cause I like his running animation. It tricks my mind to seeing him faster than Marth. Even when I play Marth, I feel like he's too slow, and that completely throws off my game. Facts<Feel of the character. Also at times his third DED upward one launches them into a viable forth at high percentages, can haven't figured out what does it yet. Plus his metagame could always get a boost. Also he's the WTF character that makes you think, where the devolpers high when creating him? or were they just thinking he'd be OP with that intentional d-tilt combo starter and unaware of the other things that developed later. He's just pure potential I guess.

Or maybe because only He, Falcon and Falco have the more impactful voices, and I hopelessly seek to see that power. Marth just doesn't.

.K1

Smash Apprentice
I switched from Marth to Roy because I picked him up once a long time ago in casuals and hes just made Marth feel like molasses since then. I sincerely believe Roy is a sleeper mid/high tier character in this game......its just that people are way too focused on playing him like Marth. I also personally feel like his shffld moves are......safer? I guess?....for a lack of a better word. He doesnt float nearly as much as marth and theres considerable difference when you compare Roy and Marths shffled moves. I still have a lot of stuff to work on with Roy, but theres not a single Roy player than can say other wise. Not Sethlon, not V3ctor, not anyone. No one has cracked Roys potential yet, but it will happen, just like it took forever for people to realize MSP was ******** good in Marvel 2......Please dont think im implying that Roy will be MSP level....I think he has the potential to crack top 12-15, but not much higher. He just gets ***** by certain characters reallllllly hard.......namely shiek and IC's....but then again, shiek beats almost everyone (or goes even with them).

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Marth is obviously better, but cooler, nah. I have more fun playing our boy. It's so weird that Roy has more power but almost all non smash attacks hit like paper. I enjoy the challenge of playing him.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I play Roy because I have always enjoyed playing him since the very first day I unlocked him and though I have discovered over the years that he's a terrible character, he's fun to play and very satisfying to win with. That, and of course, he's my boy. DED, SHFFL, d-tilt, chaingrabs (on fastfallers), and mindgamed F-Smashes all day!

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
I choose Roy, because in my personal opinion, He has way better combos than Marth or any other character within the game, And I mean actual consecutive hit combos. Also I love him because of his Tip action and his sweet spots ; I can't explain why I love it but when I play him I feel that there is a lot of usefulness within the Tip hits as weak as they may be. I have love for his quickfall and hate for it at the same time, my main reason for loving his quick fall is using it as an advantage which is three terms put together Quickfall + L-Cancel + attack. If all these actions done fast enough I believe it can be deadly. Those are my reasoning's.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I choose Roy, because in my personal opinion, He has way better combos than Marth or any other character within the game, And I mean actual consecutive hit combos. Also I love him because of his Tip action and his sweet spots ; I can't explain why I love it but when I play him I feel that there is a lot of usefulness within the Tip hits as weak as they may be. I have love for his quickfall and hate for it at the same time, my main reason for loving his quick fall is using it as an advantage which is three terms put together Quickfall + L-Cancel + attack. If all these actions done fast enough I believe it can be deadly. Those are my reasoning's.
I agree with you but I think it's quite clear Roy is really bad with very little combo ability but hey to each his own.

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
True, but only thing I see bad about Roy is when he's thrown off the platform ( on any stage) or if the player isn't up to speed with him. But I have to disagree with you with his combo ability. My main reason for that is the he throws heavy set characters Like Falco, Fox, and C.Falcon It's not too far of range and with fast enough finger play you can continue the combo. For example I came up with a combo that Flowed very nicely 6 Consecutive hits and can end with a K.O. But don't get me wrong I've seen many of his flaws when going up against high tier characters and players.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
They're fastfallers, not heavy characters, and pretty much everyone in the cast can combo fastfallers, that's barely an asset in today's game.

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
You're right anyone can combo them, But I think Roy can combo them better. But that is just my opinion on it :)

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
His attacks hit like paper, like someone said. Yeah he's got chaingrabs but it's clear he's bad.

Last edited:

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
In jr high I was just really drawn to him. He looks cool, and he's just a neato mosquito. He stuck out to me and I had decided that he would be my main. I've been playing with him ever since. He's a very fun character. It's always cool seeing myself get better with him and seeing others do things that I didn't think were possible with him. I love Roy.

Aidoony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sheikah2
The general consensus of Roy mains is that he is a bad character. It's sad, but true. If you learn him well and play perfectly, you still can win; but it won't come nearly as easily as a perfectly played Fox, or quite a few others.

I'm not saying don't play him, but I am saying don't expect to find some magic technique that puts him on uber tier.
Fox is a uphill battle and roy may be hard to master but he's not like fox

Personally I don't play roy because of his steep learning curve I play Doctor Mario for many a reason like pill rushing and others.

His attacks hit like paper, like someone said. Yeah he's got chaingrabs but he's it's clear he's bad.
be quite roy is great character even with his flaws

Last edited by a moderator:

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've decided roy sux and marth is gaaaay.
falcon is love. falcon is life.
goodbye

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
^ Wow. What a traitor.

I currently play Roy because I play SSBM on Dolphin and my controller adapter hasn't arrived yet. Keyboard Warrior for life!
i'm not going to miss him

Top Bottom