• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main or play as Roy?

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
I play Roy because I feel very comfortable using him, similar SHFFL, DJ, and FF timings with my other main C.Falcon might be why I feel this way.
Marth is a great character but I cannot use him at all (I tried), Roy's my boy.
I had the courage to use him in tournament recently and took some games off other players, feels very satisfying.

Reptile (Kira)

Smash Rookie
I heard the relationship between Marth and Roy explained pretty well to me at one point... "It seems that Marth and Roy were supposed to be pretty even, but then somehow all of the good things for Roy got put into Marth instead".

I'm not a Roy main, or even a Marth main, but that's how I see him.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
He feels really satisfying to play as. Nice fall speed, short hop, even just moving around with him is really fun.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
His movement is fantastic. Recovery is garbage, but moving around the stage with or without wavedashing and SHFFLing attacks is so satisfying. I'm also a sucker for aggressive fighters, and the PH1R3 is just a bonus. I almost managed to overwhelm a Marth main on netplay today. >u> All the SHFFLs and DEDs.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Is fun to play, and has funny combos. Check out m2k's roy for example.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Roy's our Boy! I like using Roy for fun cause the fastfall helps me get that down tilt so fast lol!

Last edited:

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
I'm a little late to this thread, but I use Roy because people so often sleep on his options. They play him like they're just playing against Marth and only very rarely respect DED, pivot fsmashes, or dtilt because they're stuck in this weird mindset that Roy is literally just Marth but worse. He's only kinda like that, and different enough to be confusing against players who can't adapt. He's not my main by any stretch of the imagination, but he's fun to whip out in friendlies or just for the hype.

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
A skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world. That is why I main Roy.
OK that's definitely not true lol
M2K's Roy beat MilkMan and SWED, but they aren't exactly Mang0, and M2K isn't the best indication of what the average "skilled Roy" looks like because he's good with everybody. Roy can look good in the right hands, but as far as beating any Fox in the world? No way.

Last edited:

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
M2K's Roy beat MilkMan and SWED, but they aren't exactly Mang0, and M2K isn't the best indication of what the average "skilled Roy" looks like because he's good with everybody. Roy can look good in the right hands, but as far as beating any Fox in the world? No way.
Lol. It's just an inside joke.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
A skilled Roy can beat any Fox in the world. That's why I main the characters displayed underneath my profile picture.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
I main Roy because I hate Marth's tipper mechanic, never got used to it when trying to switch to him as my main (tried to switch since he's so much higher tier than Roy). Also, Roy just suits me better. I like his "up close" playstyle. I have Dr. Mario as my secondary for when Roy won't do the job.

Last edited:

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
furry gf??? dood so lucky. you should suggest a zssXfox cosplay to her :smash::059:

I'm the skilled Roy who can beat Mang0.

Sethlon could with the PM crutch, but I'm the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjQIakX-e1c

Jibo23

Smash Rookie
I main him because I feel that he has potential, I also find him to be cool and challenging character. Sure according to the tiers list he's a pretty bad one at that, but that's because no one has found that potential yet. In my opinion if he's played correctly he probably be almost as good as Marth, because of the semi-clone factor. Well that may be farfetched, but that's just how I see it.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
A skilled Roy can beat any- Ah, they beat me to it. I'm guessing those guys are also from Melee Hell.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I'm officially changing my tag to "A Skilled Roy" ever since i lost a bet and have to main him

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I honestly have trouble using DED effectively. I imagine it's one of his only tools for combatting floaties (i can combo spacies so easily though lol)

I honestly have trouble using DED effectively. I imagine it's one of his only tools for combatting floaties (i can combo spacies so easily though lol)
DED, Blazer, dsmash, usmash all bend floaties over. Fsmash hurts their aerial approaches. You've already lost if you try to cc on Samus or Peach, but they're not unwinnable otherwise. You can OHKO Puff with a hitbox on reverse Blazer and get surprise kills near the top blastzones on floaties with Blazer at any %.

Last edited:
I know it's just everything feels like a read tbh
That's the life story of low-tier and mid-tier heroes, and how Roy functions. You'll pretty much leave the bet like:

after focusing more intently on using hard reads or picking apart the foe to win. You'll at least take that from the experience. Hopefully you like Roy enough to keep him as a main or secondary/pocket character after the bet.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Roy is my secondary, I main DK now (used to main Samus)
The underlying reason is that I play low tiers only, my religion doesn't let me play high/top tiers.

I think the true reason I play Roy is that I feel he is actually a "balanced" Marth. His move speed, lag, attack speed, fall speed are fair for someone that has a sword with large disjointed hitboxes (heavy sword, wears armor). To me Marth is a very broken character; he is the same as Roy but for some magical reason he is floaty (despite also wearing armor, swinging a sword and being the same weight), his aerial attacks are faster AND stronger than Roy's even though his sword has less mass. I think it's pretty unfair to give a character such disjointed hitboxes; insane grab range and then a bunch of other bonuses/advantages on top of that, then put him in a game with characters like Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, etc.

The only real problem with Roy (and I'm sure the devs screwed this up big time) is that his aerials do so much less damage, less knockback/hitstun AND they are also slower than Marth's. It still pisses me off thinking about it. Speed for Power. Simple game design 101. In an attempt to re-invent Marth and re-balance a new char they basically Pichufied him.

Also I'm 99% sure Marth is a lesbian, based on the hairdo and matching hairband.

Last edited:
Top Bottom