• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main or play as Roy?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
9/11 shirtpost m8
I don't understand 20XX internet slang and memes

Are you trying to say that Roy was so bad he caused 9/11 preemptively?
Or did 9/11 somehow profoundly alter Melee right before it's impending release thereby gimping Roy?

Most likely I'm just being told to move on and forget the past.
Poor Donnie Darko.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
I've tried to play as marth before, but he is just so slow. Roy's playstyle is much faster, and that makes it a lot more fun.
#THEPH1R3

Last edited:

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand 20XX internet slang and memes

Are you trying to say that Roy was so bad he caused 9/11 preemptively?
Or did 9/11 somehow profoundly alter Melee right before it's impending release thereby gimping Roy?

Most likely I'm just being told to move on and forget the past.
Poor Donnie Darko.
Time heals all wounds.

Roy is my secondary, I main DK now (used to main Samus)
The underlying reason is that I play low tiers only, my religion doesn't let me play high/top tiers.

I think the true reason I play Roy is that I feel he is actually a "balanced" Marth. His move speed, lag, attack speed, fall speed are fair for someone that has a sword with large disjointed hitboxes (heavy sword, wears armor). To me Marth is a very broken character; he is the same as Roy but for some magical reason he is floaty (despite also wearing armor, swinging a sword and being the same weight), his aerial attacks are faster AND stronger than Roy's even though his sword has less mass. I think it's pretty unfair to give a character such disjointed hitboxes; insane grab range and then a bunch of other bonuses/advantages on top of that, then put him in a game with characters like Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, etc.

The only real problem with Roy (and I'm sure the devs screwed this up big time) is that his aerials do so much less damage, less knockback/hitstun AND they are also slower than Marth's. It still pisses me off thinking about it. Speed for Power. Simple game design 101. In an attempt to re-invent Marth and re-balance a new char they basically Pichufied him.

Also I'm 99% sure Marth is a lesbian, based on the hairdo and matching hairband.
Your Brawl main is DDD when he started as #4 in 08 and remains high tier ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't see the problem with playing broken or good characters, imo it's a terrible idea to play a mid/low tier if you don't have personal attachment to the character or real justification for limiting yourself.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Your Brawl main is DDD when he started as #4 in 08 and remains high tier ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't see the problem with playing broken or good characters, imo it's a terrible idea to play a mid/low tier if you don't have personal attachment to the character or real justification for limiting yourself.
I don't play Brawl competitively. Got the game on release day to play with friends and I chose DDD right off the bat before tiers even existed for the game, stuck with him for a while. I now play Zelda more than DDD on the rare occasion I play Brawl.

Thanks for trying to call me out and push your opinion on mine though, always appreciated ;)

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I main Roy because I am the kind of guy that likes to go rushdown guns ablazing up on the enemy's face, a playstyle Roy is, in theory, supposed to be based around.

To play Marth effectively, you have to be way too technical and precise for my liking, thus I prefer Roy's sloppy and freestyle gameplay.

That, and ph1r3 5w0rd.

I main Roy because I am the kind of guy that likes to go rushdown guns ablazing up on the enemy's face, a playstyle Roy is, in theory, supposed to be based around.

To play Marth effectively, you have to be way too technical and precise for my liking, thus I prefer Roy's sloppy and freestyle gameplay.

That, and ph1r3 5w0rd.
gary you main roy because u ****ing suk. roy requires more tech skill than marth and gets less out of it :sadeyes: but I main Roy because I'm a pimp like him and his 6 women.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438

That, and ph1r3 5w0rd.
Well put. Roy main = Leeroy Jenkins

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
gary you main roy because u ****ing suk. roy requires more tech skill than marth and gets less out of it :sadeyes: but I main Roy because I'm a pimp like him and his 6 women.
What tech skill? Besides the fact that you have to make sure your chest is making contact with the enemy's chest to make sure your sweetspot lands, Roy is far more straightforward than Marth.

And my name's not Gary.

And I'm completely aware this is a joke.

Well put. Roy main = Leeroy Jenkins
Lee-Roy Jenkins.

What tech skill? Besides the fact that you have to make sure your chest is making contact with the enemy's chest to make sure your sweetspot lands, Roy is far more straightforward than Marth.

And my name's not Gary.

And I'm completely aware this is a joke.

Lee-Roy Jenkins.
You have to harness a faster SHFFL, waveland from ledge is more difficult due to Roy's fall speed, waveland from ledge is essential for fsmashing Marth/Sheik when they're forced to get on stage, you have to be better at teching when hitting the ground since Roy is a fastfaller, you will receive hard knockdown every time you get shined so you have to tech that, you need good DI, wall teching when being edgeguarded, and creative recovery even more than Marth does to survive, you have less edgeguard options versus spacies so you have to be more reactive with the tools you have, you have to be more flexible and reactive with chaingrabs because you can't up throw -> up tilt like with Marth, you have to know when sweetspot and sourspot hitboxes collide where the sweetspot will take priority so you can get the most range out of Roy's disjoint, your ledge options are limited to fair, waveland, neutral getup, and rolling getup, angled Blazer matters so much more than angled Dolphin Slash, you have OHKOs on Peach and Puff that are sketchy and hard to land, usmash spike, his dair meteor is much more difficult than Marth's, and you have to dissect Roy's bad MU's far more than Marth has to dissect his.

Also, Gary's this guy: https://www.facebook.com/garywang.fremblem?fref=ts
Sorry, assumed you were him.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Roy because he's our boy... Just kidding. I am used to his speed and attacks most of the time. He is good for competitive play against my friends and he is my favorite just because.

Monk of MaZe

Smash Cadet
I always perferred playing as him over Marth when I was a kid and even though now I started playing Marth I still go back to Roy because of nostalgia and this feeling that he has potential to be really good.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Yes Marth might be a easier character to use but remember Roy he's a character that hasn't master his full meta game yet not even sethlon himself I never see him use tips only in PM

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
i used to prefer marth because he was considered better and i had more experience with him, but i tried out roy, and felt i was better using him and then I started to prefer the way he plays.

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
looking back i was better with roy but now i cannot use him, i have a way better marth, but i do use roy in PM as a main still.

I push Roy because he's a potent upper-mid tier character as good as Yoshi, Pikachu, and IC's. Roy mains aren't experimenting with tech chasing because they think chaingrabs on spacies is one of the only things redeeming him. They don't experiment with Dreamland or Pokestadium because they're brainwashed into only trying to do well on FoD and FD. They constantly feed off SSBwiki and other players who know nothing about the character on Roy opinions, they don't form their own opinions with conviction. They worship players who are just good or great instead of trying to reach or surpass their levels. They're afraid to dual-main or experiment with top-tiers in junction with Roy, either as a main, secondary, or dual-main. People aren't willing to tech chase, platform cancel, powershield, or shield drop punish. They fsmash when they could ftilt, they use DED too much and don't use it in the right ways, they don't utilize usmash/dsmash when he has some of the best smashes in the game, they don't condition, they strike the wrong stages, they don't fix their habits. They suck.

People play Roy because he's "fun" or "a challenge" or "he's cooler/fits better than Marth" and they give up too easily. A lot of Roy mains are weak, scrubby, or lazy. They give up when people write off the character entirely, and randomly accept opinions to make things easier. Roy mains are p*****s who just accept the character's stigma and how they're treated by the community, and they let people s***post on the Roy boards all day about how the character is useless and just accept that it's everywhere. It's disgustingly pathetic how horrible this place is, the Roy boards are forever gonna be a horrible cesspool of casual players and people who write off Roy yet somehow waste their lives on the boards contributing absolutely nothing to smash or low/mid tiers until I prove the community wrong. Remember and thank me when these boards stop being so s***ty, they have been since the 2000's so nothing's new I guess.

I main Roy to prove that y'all are frauds, and because he needs a player with the right mindset to prove his potential. None of you guys can do this, so I guess I have to.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I push Roy because he's a potent upper-mid tier character as good as Yoshi, Pikachu, and IC's. Roy mains aren't experimenting with tech chasing because they think chaingrabs on spacies is one of the only things redeeming him. They don't experiment with Dreamland or Pokestadium because they're brainwashed into only trying to do well on FoD and FD. They constantly feed off SSBwiki and other players who know nothing about the character on Roy opinions, they don't form their own opinions with conviction. They worship players who are just good or great instead of trying to reach or surpass their levels. They're afraid to dual-main or experiment with top-tiers in junction with Roy, either as a main, secondary, or dual-main. People aren't willing to tech chase, platform cancel, powershield, or shield drop punish. They fsmash when they could ftilt, they use DED too much and don't use it in the right ways, they don't utilize usmash/dsmash when he has some of the best smashes in the game, they don't condition, they strike the wrong stages, they don't fix their habits. They suck.

People play Roy because he's "fun" or "a challenge" or "he's cooler/fits better than Marth" and they give up too easily. A lot of Roy mains are weak, scrubby, or lazy. They give up when people write off the character entirely, and randomly accept opinions to make things easier. Roy mains are p*****s who just accept the character's stigma and how they're treated by the community, and they let people s***post on the Roy boards all day about how the character is useless and just accept that it's everywhere. It's disgustingly pathetic how horrible this place is, the Roy boards are forever gonna be a horrible cesspool of casual players and people who write off Roy yet somehow waste their lives on the boards contributing absolutely nothing to smash or low/mid tiers until I prove the community wrong. Remember and thank me when these boards stop being so s***ty, they have been since the 2000's so nothing's new I guess.

I main Roy to prove that y'all are frauds, and because he needs a player with the right mindset to prove his potential. None of you guys can do this, so I guess I have to.
That "Undyne" determination though. In all seriousness, how's the progress with the experimentation?

LSDX

Wah!
Mason is the real homie.

I'm the best Roy in IL undisputed until somebody else wants to show me their tournament results of this year.

Top Bottom