• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Inkling?

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
Why did you end up choosing Inkling as your main (Assuming you do.)

It could be anything. From liking their play style, personality or simply thinking they're really good.

What made you want to main them?

Last edited:

kimohno

Smash Rookie
I honestly just loved the "Hipster" Skin on first sight and also teal is my favorite color, so I went with it. Claims that "Inkling is the best character ever" didn't hurt on top. Also I like most B attacks and the Jab is so great. But I am not doing to well with them compared to other characters, due to their lack of kill power, the boring tilts and the refill mechanic, and the lacking range.

I still like them, but I might not main them in the future.

ande

Smash Cadet
Mostly because of the movement and because their aerials felt pretty melee

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It was my initial goal to main Inklings but their gameplay haven't convinced me yet. I consider myself an Isabelle main but things might change. I will be playing mostly only Inkling this week, maybe I will get used to their aerials that feel so weird for me so far.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
They have a lot of elements I like - great dash dance, good airspeed, phenomenal jab, great recovery and easy edgeguarding., Decent kill options and coming in my favorite color is just icing on the cake.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
I've always loved the squid-kid aesthetic and how well Nintendo gets across that pure, unadulterated coolness factor, so I wanted to give them a shot. I like fast characters who want to get in and be aggressive, which is why I've enjoyed Pikachu and Shiek in previous games - so after playing them a bit I realized they were a nice fit for me. Learning that they're upper teir simply sealed the deal!

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I've always loved the squid-kid aesthetic and how well Nintendo gets across that pure, unadulterated coolness factor, so I wanted to give them a shot. I like fast characters who want to get in and be aggressive, which is why I've enjoyed Pikachu and Shiek in previous games - so after playing them a bit I realized they were a nice fit for me. Learning that they're upper teir simply sealed the deal!
I love the inkling style as well. I love Splatoon. And I love the way they play. But unfortunately, with the only kill confirm they have is the roller, they will drop from upper tier in a couple of months, as people learn to play around the roller.

If they can get some other kill confirms they will remain upper tier.

Reila

I love the inkling style as well. I love Splatoon. And I love the way they play. But unfortunately, with the only kill confirm they have is the roller, they will drop from upper tier in a couple of months, as people learn to play around the roller.

If they can get some other kill confirms they will remain upper tier.
So you will only play them if they are upper tier? Okay...

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
So you will only play them if they are upper tier? Okay...
I'm sorry. Was this thread about why I play inkling? Or was it about judging why other people play?

Forgive me if I don't want to handicap myself by playing a low tier character.

Reila

I'm sorry. Was this thread about why I play inkling? Or was it about judging why other people play?

Forgive me if I don't want to handicap myself by playing a low tier character.
I don't see the need to be a jerk about it. I asked a question. Learn some manners.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I don't see the need to be a jerk about it. I asked a question. Learn some manners.
Since your question was sincere and not a sarcastic remark, to answer your question: I didn't choose the inking because they were top tier. I chose because of their play style. Was it a bonus because they were considered top tier? Yeah, but after spending considerable amount of time playing with them, it's becomes frustrating getting opponents to 150%+ and not having a reliable way to kill. I will still pocket the squid, but not sure I'm going to continue to main them. It could also be I'm just a bad player. Take your pick.

blastyblaze

Smash Rookie
Fantastic recovery, and one heck of a tilt. Although not an avid user of the bombs... any tips?

Reila

Fantastic recovery, and one heck of a tilt. Although not an avid user of the bombs... any tips?
I have been playing around with the bombs, and so far:

1. I like using them to edgeguard obviously (however, they have a great recovery so I will often chase people with the roller or with aerials outside the stage instead).

2. I like throwing the bomb between the opponent and me when I want to refill ink. Even if they are fast they will have to manuveur around the bomb to get to me (be careful against Cloud though since his projectile travels through the ground, so it will hit you when you are inside the ink pool)

3. When recovering from an upwards angle (like super above the stage), I like tapping the button and letting the bomb fall with me. It doesn't protect you but it makes the opponent thinks twice before approaching you (it will depend on the opponent fighter's kit though). In short, think of the bomb more as a zoning tool than as a damaging tool. The damage is the icing on the cake.

Last but not least I have managed to combo the bomb into up throw (you have to use the bomb while being midair) twice, but I don't know if it is a true combo, and I don't have data on what % it works or doesn't work.

blastyblaze

Smash Rookie
Thanks! I've gotta do a bit more of 2 for sure, I mostly just recover a bit of ink when enemies are knocked off the side, and then try to down-tilt them.
This is the most wholesome inkling help i've gotten, thanks dude!

D

Deleted member

I chose Inklings as my main because I adore Splatoon and the Inklings as characters. I love their personalities, design, everything: They are probably some of my most favorite characters in fiction, lol.

I also chose them because of the playstyle. They have a godly air-game and unique set-ups that set them apart from other characters on the roster, and as someone who used to main Wario, that playstyle just really clicked with me.

Dongler

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6579-1166-5791
I honestly have been maining inkling in Nintendo games (aka Mario Kart) that weren't Splatoon for a couple years now. When I saw Inkling's gameplay in smUsh, it further cemented my intention to main them. I had no idea they would be as strong as they are, but that makes it even more worthwhile in my opinion.

Raaban

Smash Rookie
Was always interested in Inkling. The reason is not because of the game, (I'm not the biggest fan of Splatoon [still not a bad game]), but because of the Inkling themselve. In my opinion an interesting character in Splatoon and Smash.

Playstyle is fun, movement is sick, sounds are funny, Agent 3 color is broken. I need nothing more than that. : )

*cough* And I like killing people with roller kill confirms *cough*

Whit

Smash Journeyman
I've spent hundreds of hours in Splatoon and Splatoon 2. It is my absolute favorite online game outside of smash. You bet your Booyah that I was planning on making inkling the second the teaser trailer came out and oh boy are they are super fun to play as. I sit around 3.60~3.67 GSP and win or lose it is always fun because I am the goddang Inkling.

People complain a lot about the roller, but the way I see it if you get caught by the roller that's your fault. It is absolutely shieldable and very escapable if you mash even at higher percentages. Especially after 2.0. A lot of the time, people just don't want to make the effort to mash because they think they won't make it before I get them. That's their fault for not trying. Besides there are plenty of cheaper moves on other characters that people spam like no other, so to anyone that complains about the roller, cry me a river.

Their aerial game is godly if you can space it right and when you get gud at aiming that bomb, say goodbye to your enemies recovering. Not to mention that ink is just so good and so much fun. Jumping in close when they're at low percentages and laying on that neutral B stuns them long enough to get almost full coverage real quick. Then racking up that damage with Aerials and tilts makes for an EZPZ game.

I used to play Brawl and Project M competitively, but even as the roster grew in smash 4 I never found a character I truly connected despite being a longtime, diehard Nintendo fan. However, as soon as I saw the trailer for Splatoon at E3, I knew it was something special and I was right. So why do I main the Inkling?

I. BLEED. INK.

D

Deleted member

Roller is a meme.
Are people still complaining after the nerf? TBH it's questionable that it even needed one. The roller nerf feels like the K. Rool nerfs: Unnecessary knee-jerk reactions to salty social media comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

Are people still complaining after the nerf? TBH it's questionable that it even needed one. The roller nerf feels like the K. Rool nerfs: Unnecessary knee-jerk reactions to salty social media comments.
I agree it didn't need a nerf but the nerf wasn't that big of a deal so I am not complaining.

Maybe I should star whining in social media until they buff Isabelle (a proper buff, not a buff on what was already good - nair)

D

Deleted member

I agree it didn't need a nerf but the nerf wasn't that big of a deal so I am not complaining.

Maybe I should star whining in social media until they buff Isabelle (a proper buff, not a buff on what was already good - nair)
Oh yeah no, I'm not complaining either. It's barely different than it was before, and the proper strats are unaffected by it.

Isabelle buffs would be amazing. Her and K. Rool both could use help, which is ironic considering those two were some of the most complained about characters back in December.

JRedd7272

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4384 0504 6810
Inkling is my secondary main, but I do like playing as them. I do like Splatoon, but I also really like how Inkling’s combos and aerials are. If you’re careful enough, you can rack up high percentages really good! :)

Also, side special forward Smash combo.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I find Inkling pretty nice because she doesn’t feel janky to me as she doesn’t use some cheap comeback mechanic and you’ll have to play her well to get rewards with ink. My personal problem is her kill power because it is the worst kind of design they can do with this character. All they literally have to do is make the splatbombs more consistent and don’t bounce on UNSHEILEDED opponents, have her fair be a consistent kill move (because it does kill at reasonable percents), and make the down tilt at least kill at 160% on ledge. Just to prevent dumb comeback mechanics and have Inkling get some actual benefits from rage (because it ruins her only decent kill confirm). I don’t want Inkling to get more than that because these three things alone will give Inkling more consistent results and stop stupid crap from happening.

Rick-Woomy!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7643-3959-7772

It could be anything. From liking their play style, personality or simply thinking they're really good.

I really just main inkling because I’m good with them. Some of it is because I’m a fan of the Splatoon series and otherwise me jus being a little bit of a tier *****, but mainly it’s because inkling is the only fighter I’m actually actually competent with. I also secondary incineroar, and pocket Mario and Rosalina and luma.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
I liked playing as Inkling in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, so naturally, that carried over to Smash.

JoZerp

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 6326 4459 2403
Seventh alt, she's so cute \(>w<)/ and that face when she moves while crouched.

Kaiism

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2104-6657-5125

I main inkling because splatoon is one of my favorite game series of all time. When I found out that Inkling can be one of the best characters I used by the right person, I started playing them a LOT, I then evolved into someone who can’t decide between their 5 or so mains.

Top Bottom