1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do i suck with Top Tier characters?

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Playb0y, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Playb0y

Playb0y
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

Idk it seems that i only do okay with low tier characters like Dr Mario Kirby etc... I can atleast get one stock off some skilled player but if I try playing Cloud Diddy Sonic or Regular Mario i get completely trashed on...

2. link2702

link2702
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

1. The opponents know the high tier matchups extremely well since they encounter more of those characters and less of the low tiers.
    2. Some high tiers are difficult to play at the levels that truly make them shine. They aren’t like brawl metaknight in this game where any moron could pick him up and figure out how to do semi-decent at him, even bayonetta requires some training and competence to use her effectively when against a decent opponent. So when you don’t fully dedicate yourself to certain high tiers you’ll never be able to play them in the way that makes them so dangerous.
    3. Some low tiers have easier learning curves to get decent at them. Granted they’re still low for a reason, and so while some might be easier to pick up than some high tiers, if the opponent knows the matchup and what few options that low tier has and how to exploit them, the low will still likely get wrecked.

Vycoul and Uffe like this.
  3. KEYLIME SSB

KEYLIME SSB
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

The tier list is not a concrete entity. The only criteria is based on tournament wins, and if you want to be good with a certain character, then you can. There are good and bad characters, but you should still try to find which one suits you best. Don't blindly follow the tier list.

Baby_Sneak and NINTENDO Galaxy like this.
  4. Pixel_

Pixel_
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

Tier lists only really apply to top/near-top level play.
    If you're winning with low tier characters, then you're probably not at the point where you have to worry about tiers, since there's still other factors to consider like lack of matchup knowledge (which tier lists don't consider).

Baby_Sneak likes this.
  5. NINTENDO Galaxy

NINTENDO Galaxy
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

3DS FC:
    2836-0624-6177
    NNID:
    NINTEN_Galaxy
    Tier liste can also rely on hype, upsets, and kneejerk reactions. Play who you want and watch your opponents cry foul when they lose. Good luck.