• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do Fire Emblem fans hate Roy?

Toxiphobe

Smash Cadet
Roy is just plain out awesome and he's pretty awesome in his own game which I've beaten. Those who say he has a boring personality probably never even played fire emblem and just lazily hate him because omg3clonesslotwaste yeah no.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I've played FE6, and his personality is pretty bland, especially when compared to the other Lords in the other games, IMO. He's a bad unit with terrible stats with an extremely late promotion, so he's pretty much a liability during 90% of the game.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
In some of the FE games you literally had to whittle an enemy down to low HP so a Lord could finish them off.

Unless you were Hector. Since that Lord was godly.
I didn't have any trouble in FE7, 8, or 14 with levelling up the lords. Those are the only FE games i have played besides 6. Out of those, 6 was the only one where I had a ton of trouble levelling up a lord. Again, maybe I'm just bad, but to me Roy seemed terrible.

Last edited:

Tarry

Smash Cadet
NNID
CyrenCE
Roy is one of the worst lords in the whole series, if he promoted earlier he would be better.

GenG

Smash Lord
The Roy from Smash and the Roy from Fire Emblem are two different characters.

Roy was in Smash even before it starred his own game and Sakurai gave him a unique and suitable personality for a fighting game.

Roy is the most boring lord ever in his game, but it's one of the coolest Smash characters ever, even more now thanks to his awesome design and bold moveset.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There's 3 main reasons why Fire Emblem fans dislike Roy. Note this basically only applies to Western fans, since in Japan Roy and The Binding Blade are among the most popular Fire Emblem games there.

===

1. Roy's characterization. Roy is stoic, especially quiet, and doesn't exactly talk much to carry the plot. Part of that problem is the translation isn't particularly great in spots. He's also very young, at the age of 15, and is one of the youngest Lords in Fire Emblem history.

Another part of that dynamic is really in Fire Emblem 6: The Binding Blade we got the first game where the entire ensemble cast really had a more intricate role in the plot. Sure in 4/5 we had a few moving Lords and other highly characters, but everyone else feels largely just like another face in the crowd. Roy didn't get enough screen time because of that transition, and it ultimately hurt his characterization and character development. Intelligent Games tried to make the rest of the cast matter so much that Roy wasn't the main character of the manga, but rather a manga original character, with different characters basically "taking over" various chapters.

In a proper remake of Fire Emblem 6: The Binding Blade this would obviously be alleviated through some means. Intelligent Systems have in later Fire Emblem games since employed methods that keep the main characters in the spotlight while not make every character feel like a face in the crowd.

===

2. The second main reason Western Fire Emblem fans dislike Roy is he's fairly underpowered (although in the end he can easily be super insanely overpowered). He's not exactly terribly helpless and weak throughout, but he can be at parts. Western Fire Emblem fans are backwards group in a sense. Many of the dedicated Fire Emblem fanbases' favorite characters are the overpowered ones, and their least favorite ones are the underpowered ones or even balanced ones. Hector in Fire Emblem 7 for instance is very overpowered, and yet Western Fire Emblem fans almost universally praise him when discussing balance. Among dedicated fans of other series, as well as most Japanese Fire Emblem fans, the inverse is true. They loathe these sort of imbalances.

Aside from a few overpowered units, Fire Emblem 6 has a pretty balanced cast. You really have to think to win, when compared to 8 you can basically do no wrong. Newer fans are put off by this, and again, long-time fans don't like this, especially since the challenge starts early. Fire Emblem 7 doesn't even begin to get remotely close to hard until the game is 2/3rd's over.

Roy actually functionally is very different from most Lords. Since he's so young, he's kind of weak and fairly inexperienced. He kind of serves a Tactician-like role, but still he must be strongly protected. You can't just YOLO with him like you can with say Robin, Hector, or tons of Fire Emblem 8 characters (well not until the end if you level him up right and RNG grind).

A few people earlier in this thread used a chess analogy with Roy where he's like a king early, and how late in a game of Chess the King becomes really powerful. I like to think of it more like say a boxer. In boxing you don't just go and plug anybody against a world class boxer, you go through the amateurs, then the bar boxing scene, then the clubs, then the bigger clubs, then big regional shows, and then you start making it in prime time. Roy starts off as basically an amateur boxer surrounded by potential pro opponents. You gotta scare off those potential opponents with more experienced units, build him up against similarly experienced boxers, and gradually keep allowing stronger and stronger enemies to fight him and protect him from much better boxers less and less. Eventually when he gets the Binding Blade though, he often becomes really good and sometimes even essentially invincible.

===

3. Western Fire Emblem fans want their favorite Fire Emblem characters over Roy. Look at all the speculation "waifus of the week" that go out of style whenever they get "old" or "something new and trendy comes along." Many of these people think Smash should have these minor characters like say Lissa or Anna instead of just the main Lords and Tacticians.

There's also people who would prefer Lords with original or different skillsets and movesets, like Hector, Chrom, Lyn, and Sigurd. Some of this logic can be kind of faulty, since clones and semi-clones, especially veteran ones, aren't directly competing for time, resources, and "slots" for a spot on the roster. And if they were, we wouldn't have Lucina and Robin both playable in Smash 4.

\\

Last edited:

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
I think people hated the fact that Roy was returning because Marth already has a clone, which is Lucina. Also they were worried that he would be laggy like Marth and Lucina in Smash 4. But I think people will soon love Roy because he is so much better than Marth and Lucina in Smash 4.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
A lot of fans tend to consider him to be the worst lord in the series. As an example, pretty much everyone on this Reddit says so.

People think he's bland, but none of the main lords in other Fire Emblem series don't seem particularly better. Including dear Sigurd (who's an overrated character in an overrated, tedious game).

COME AT ME NOW!
In FE6: The Binding Blade, you have to protect him a lot of the time. So people find him annoying and one of the weakest Lords of the series.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Eh I wouldn't call Hector OP. Blazing Sword had 3 lords to sift through. Hector's personality and the fact he wields an axe are why I love him.

Ike on the other hand along with Haar and Tibarn can go to town on entire armies and not take a single hit.

That said FE7, FE8, and FE14 are very easy IMO.

Only time a FE game was hard was in the old NES/SNES days and with the Lunatic modes.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like part of it comes from this extremely weird stigma people have against clone characters.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So happy that alot people brought in the points on why I can't really dislike Roy - especially considering what most Western FE-fans like instead. I always felt the the "Chess"-analogy/Boxer was fitting on why Roywas what he (an inexperienced fighter prior to the war in his continent) , and how it helped to prevent another case of "SoLord" like Ike, Hector, Ephraim, Sigurd, etc. (Who would make other units be useless when you feed 'em more EXP to just sweep the competition)

Roy not given entirely much characterization kinda sucks in FE6, but when checking the supports it's still there - stoic but optimistic idealist with amazing and thoughtful quotes littered throughout. He could be said to be part tactician and part lord in FE6 (though still relying on Marcus and Cecilia for some help), which when related on his low experience in fighting before, makes absolute sense.

You could even go with an idea baout Roy in Melee being Post-FE6 Roy coming to Marth to learn more about proper swordfighting, who then went off to train more to be SSB4's Roy, reaching his "potential" he has been said to have if trained up enough. Packing that speed and power from his OP Master Lord-class along with Sword of Seals, he now packs a serious threat. Not to mention Smash Bros-series seems to keep filling in his personality a bit.

Also FE6 being highly successful in Japan strongly helped Fire Emblem to have even more potential and demands for oversea releases and staying popular overall after Shouzo Kaga's departure from the company. So yeah.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Eh I wouldn't call Hector OP. Blazing Sword had 3 lords to sift through. Hector's personality and the fact he wields an axe are why I love him.

Ike on the other hand along with Haar and Tibarn can go to town on entire armies and not take a single hit.

That said FE7, FE8, and FE14 are very easy IMO.

Only time a FE game was hard was in the old NES/SNES days and with the Lunatic modes.
this is also why I like Hector as well but man do I know a ton of people who love him because his stats were ridiculous.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Roy's FE game was good, until the very end which was anti-climatic. As a unit in his own game he was really 'meh' imo.

Melee Roy was fun, but outclassed by Marth.

PM Roy is #*@^*& ridiculously fun.

Sm4sh Roy, I'm not too sure how I feel about yet. Very different from both the PM and Melee Roy, that's for sure.

Troykv

Smash Master
I remember read that Sigurd is the only lord that actually is... perfect in all the things that you need... Overused him is the best way to make the game easier... and faster... that is ridiculous xD

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
A lot of fans tend to consider him to be the worst lord in the series. As an example, pretty much everyone on this Reddit says so.

People think he's bland, but none of the main lords in other Fire Emblem series don't seem particularly better. Including dear Sigurd (who's an overrated character in an overrated, tedious game).

COME AT ME NOW!
People like to parrot info, especially when it drives some sort of biased agenda. I'm no FE buff, so I played his game pretty recently to see all these things for myself & to see everything from the eyes of a non-FE fan . . . and he *never* came across to me as a whiny individual. He did need to be protected often, though; his late promotion is quite a problem in the last act. No idea why they made it like that.

That's really my only complaint against him, though. As a character, he's a very kind-hearted individual, inexperienced with leadership (and love), but compassionate and a great strategist.

Quillion

Smash Hero
ok just making sure it was low quality bait, which I was fairly certain all this thread would be
Bait? This question is serious.

I was actually against Roy's return just because fans of his home series hated him (at least Pokémon fans love Mewtwo since forever).

But now that Roy was actually confirmed, I actually got to ask this very serious question and get good responses.

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
Fire emblem fans don't hate Roy.
I am a Fire Emblem fan, and I hate Roy. However, I am learning more and more that that is the minority opinion on Roy, and that Roy as a fighter in smash is actually rather commendable. in fact, i'm putting my hate for him him as a character aside and am going give him a go in smash 4 and buy his character dlc. i may end up regretting this, but whatever, it's only what, $4-5, could be worse.

Superfiremario

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Fire Emblem fan and I like Roy. I haven't played his game, but I heard that he's a terrible unit. Being a bad unit doesn't make me hate a character.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I dedicate this song to everyone complaining about how terrible Roy is on behalf of all Smash fans.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I am a Fire Emblem fan, and I hate Roy. However, I am learning more and more that that is the minority opinion on Roy, and that Roy as a fighter in smash is actually rather commendable. in fact, i'm putting my hate for him him as a character aside and am going give him a go in smash 4 and buy his character dlc. i may end up regretting this, but whatever, it's only what, $4-5, could be worse.
Hate is a strong word. You don't like him. You don't *hate* him.

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
Hate is a strong word. You don't like him. You don't *hate* him.
yes, hate is a strong word, that's why i used it, because i meant it. all i meant by quoting you is that you is that you shouldn't speak for a group of people as a whole when there will always be a minority.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly, people who hate on Roy expect their lords to be OHKO machines and that's really what his hate base is. The Western fanbase that worships Hector/Ephraim and loathes anyone that doesn't fit the trope.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Honestly, people who hate on Roy expect their lords to be OHKO machines and that's really what his hate base is. The Western fanbase that worships Hector/Ephraim and loathes anyone that doesn't fit the trope.
I like
lyn

Quillion

Smash Hero
God forbid that people actually want a Fire Emblem game to be challenging.

And people complained about including casual mode.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's really funny because while everyone craps on Roy, he was pretty much decent for me in his game. He still held his own against most units while being cap'd at Lvl. 20 even if he lacked in comparison to other units and he had his Rapier to deal with many different kinds of units. Also, the Sword of Seals along with the Hammerane to vastly extend it's uses allowed me to pretty much annihilate everyone on the map once he promoted.

Last edited:

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
I kinda find it funny that many people consider Roy to be the worst Lord while Marth couldn't promote in his games, not to mention that the Falchion is inferior to the Sword of Seals except for having infinite usages

Troykv

Smash Master
I kinda find it funny that many people consider Roy to be the worst Lord while Marth couldn't promote in his games, not to mention that the Falchion is inferior to the Sword of Seals except for having infinite usages
In the original game (Fire Emblem NES) the Falchion makes Marth INVENCIBLE against everything, except range attacks and dragon rocks.

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
1. Because he's an inferior Marth clone in melee.
2.Because he's not an army sweeping god of destruction like Robin. :088:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
2.Because he's not an army sweeping god of destruction like Robin.
Just swap in Robin for Hector and then you get the Western FE fanbase in a nutshell.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I think they don't understand the character. He's not supposed to be an unstoppable god - he's a honest, young but mature noble whose ideals and bravery make him heroic. FE6 is a very Japanese game, and much is lost in translation. Roy as a unit is weak, but it's seemingly intentional as the story builds up to his characteristics as a leader and person leading to him suddenly becoming a god-beast when he is deemed worthy of the Sword of Seals. It's more a Sword in the Stone kind of story than a Robin Hood one.

Troykv

Smash Master
Just swap in Robin for Hector and then you get the Western FE fanbase in a nutshell.
This can applies with other characters (Western Released or not characters), like Sigurd, FE10!Ike, and the two that you say.

ESoTeRlC

Smash Rookie
NNID
FullofHell
3DS FC
4828-4417-3634

COME AT ME NOW!
ohhhhhhhh, I know you didn't just say that. I think we're going to have to engage in fisticuffs for insulting one of the best games of all time. Don't get why you got to bash FE4 when anyone who knows what's up with a good Fire Emblem game knows FE6 is also one of the best.

You want to talk boring and bland? Chrome

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
A lot of FE fans hate Roy because he's pretty much the worst lord in FE history. The amount of special treatment you have to give him until he promotes (which is FAR too late in the game) makes me wish I was using another character.

But he's also our boy. Lucina's our gal. And Marth's our... er, girl?

Annd Ike's our bike.

Last edited:

~Grynn~

Smash Rookie

COME AT ME NOW!
everyone who love fire emblem hates roy because 1. he was in melee before he was in a fire emblem, and he was weak as ****, easily one of the worst units in his own game. while his father eliwood was a ****ing badass that one-shotted enemies

Top Bottom