• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you pick Falco instead of Fox?

ntpetit

Smash Cadet
Falco easier than Fox

Falco is a lot easier to start of learning advanced techs on than fox is. When I started to learn how to play competatively, I chose falco because he obligates you to play with alot of tech skill, but it's actually possible to short hop with him when youre starting.

However, now that I've been playing competatively with Falco for almost a year, Fox isnt that hard to play. I mean, certainly I'm not a great Fox player, but I can do a ton of the tech skill required to play Fox. On top of that, some tech skill is harder with Falco. Example? Waveshining. If you can waveshine with Falco, you can do it with Fox pretty easily. Falco has weird WD timing IMO.

Other than Falco being an easier character to start off with, I saw a video of PC Chris, and was just stunned that things like what he did were even possible in SSBM.

Oh, and Starfox is a pimp game. N64 style.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
fox is harder to be as effective as falco with

i think fox's waveshine is harder, since you need to be able to do perfect waveshines. with falco, it's not that important

Mr. Derp

Smash Apprentice
FORMALLY: Ryu777 ...OLD POST COUNT: around 500
hmm, i actuallyy have less trouble while playiong with fox, you dont have to worry about combos. its just dash dance, shine, dair, shine, full hop nair shine, laser spam, shine into upsmash and my fingers dont feel like they are acting any crazier than when I play falco.

Smash Master
Fox is harder to play. You have to actually mindgame your approaches instead of firing that broken blaster. Also, the two extra frames before Falco jumps makes JC shines, Waveshining, Short-Hopping, etc... easier.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
He's my most common opponent, so eventually I just picked him up. I already had so much knowledge about Falco from playing against Falcos all the time. I've never progressed so fast with any other character before.

Razed

Smash Ace
Because I completely dominate all my friends with him =). They hit me about 3x in a 4 stock match, and then they swear at their controllers and it makes me smile cause the controller is probably secretly calling my friend a dumb@ss when he's not looking and then I picture a controller being a face with the control stick as one eye and the A button as the other, then I picture the controllers dancing with eachother and that makes me feel good =')

So that is why I play falco!

Eaode

Smash Champion
uh, laser, combos, Bombsoldier, and he's easier

And i was playing one day and played falco (im usually CF) and realized he's my best char.

BTW, if you want to get better tech skill, practice with fox for a month or 2, tats what i did =D, now my fox is proficient enough to play. Not win, but I can play him now :)

path411

Smash Cadet
I picked him up when i was first learning to shffl and etc to make my fingers faster for other chars, now I find him alot more fun then fox, pillars, shl, spikes = falco goodness.
not gonna lie, I still hate falco's wd since I normally play as IC or shiek where I basically just mash x/r as fast as I can to wd 100% of the time. it always takes me a bit to get used to falco's laggy wd =p

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
i 1st pikd up falko in like 02 a few yrs ago when i saw a *** vid wher falko wuz throwin sum shl's on sum d00d 'n layin down shines 2 attax 'n i wuz liek WHOA but dats not vry imprtant cuz it wuz such a long tiem ago rite.

the real important decision i made was after a tournament or two, when i asked myself "should i ditch falco for fox?" and after i tried using fox seriously, i realized i could not get myself to consistently waveshine and infinite and even shorthopping constantly was hard, so i decided that if i couldn't play a technical fox i wouldn't play him at all =(. so i stayed with falco and mastered his tech skills instead. i can play a technical falco now, but i always wish i could use fox the way i wanted to back then...

however now my fox is a secondary and i love using him =)

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I at first picked falco because he was blue :lick: I love blue. Then I started watching bombsoldier, and I was like "holy ****!" I wish I could do that stuff! Then it came between falco and fox, and I picked falco. Not because he was blue, but because of his shine combos and his movement. It's like if you have ever watched a good Mewtwo player, (Taj) you can see how graceful and amazing his movements are. Falco players like Shiz are doing that with Falco. I was amazed. Waveshining looked so cool. I had to pick him.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
I mained falco because my friends told me to play him lol. I didn't care. I first mained fox but I guess my style was really really aggresive.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I play both..but I main Fox not Falco...I picked up falco because he is so easy to play compared to my technical Fox and I HATE playing falcos with Samus and Fox so I picked Falco up to Falco ditto.

Knuder967

Smash Rookie
I have to disagree I think that Falco has more control then falco. When you play with falco it feels like your just flowing with him. When I'm fox i basically fly off the edge because I can't tell where I'm going.

Selphious

Smash Cadet
Cause I always liked Falco from Star Fox 64... and because his SHL is so much fun to approach with, spiking is easy with him, and he's a flexible character (in 2 ways), he can stretch abnormally far :laugh: and you can do many things with him in any situation (very high jump / easy to use short hop - for example.) Shine comboing is tons of fun, and accidentally Phantom Dashing off the edge every once in a while is also fun :( Falco is just a cool bad@ss mofo in my opinion.

On a side note, I use Marth and Falco so it's funny watching all the Falco players (including myself) complain about chain grabbing and "how much of an advantage" Marth has over Falco.

Swiss Falco

Smash Apprentice
Okay, Im'm honest: He looks really cool! ^_^ This was the reason, why I picked him, not Fox. And now, I'm happy, that I did that ^^ Because spaming Falco's SHLs is really cool! I like his spikes and strong Down-Attacks much more, than Fox's strong Up-Attacks.

Oh! And an other reason: All of Fox's coats suck, there isn't any cool color! ^_^ The colors of Falco's coats rock! Red Falco 4-ever ^_^

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
I personally like Falco's playing style more than that of Fox. Fox dances around and then moves in for quick attacks. Falco just goes offensive and puts the pressure on the opponent. And Falco takes less mindgames..
+1. and falco is one pimp *** bird

mario-man

Smash Lord
I don't really use anyone except Mario and Luigi, but Falco is waaaay better that Fox in my oppinion. I guess it's because of his jumps, but whatever it is, I guess he just fits my style more.

pdk

Smash Lord
because there's no useless laser AIDS

that and CAHM AWN is a line that rightfully belongs to terry bogard:

|
|
\/

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
i like falcos combos more and how they look so badass

fox seems too jerky and less graceful then falcos high *** jump and getto laser approaches

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i still use fox and all but i choose falco over the 2 because i like the way falco puts his hand on the ground when i do wavedashes :D it looks cool whenever i do my little wavedash victory dance

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I would have to say the ability to shorthop brought me in, trying to do that with Fox is ridiculous. And without shorthopping there is no shffling, which would really hurt my game.

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
I have to disagree I think that Falco has more control then falco. When you play with falco it feels like your just flowing with him. When I'm fox i basically fly off the edge because I can't tell where I'm going.
Falco is better than Falco? This is news to me!

Falco or Fox. Meh, it's the player. Fox is speed, Falco is control. I picked Falco but who cares.

Rampage

vx
I have pretty fat fingers but I can still play fox pretty good

At first I played falco because he was just easier to control but then I realized I wasn't getting any better so I went to fox got him down and the next time I played falco I was 10x better

I main both at the moment and I play both of them pretty well

true story.

Top Bottom