• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are you a Smasher?

D

Deleted member

I'm a Smasher since N64 days. When next installment is released, the series gets better and better. It's because we play as characters from many different video game franchises. I love crossover media. As long as the creators have permission and licenses from other companies.

DrkRoxas

Smash Apprentice
I started playing around 2009, and had ups and downs, I played when the people were active, here in Venezuela there's not such a community as in the USA or Europe, I stopped playing around 2011 and started recently again, we're trying to revive the community here, this game is just too fun and very competitive to give up on it. We're even trying to teach new smashers, we have like a thousand friends that say they play melee and have never heard of a wavedash.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I've been playing Smash since the N64 days as well. At first, I basically just smashed with my friend in the summer of 2000 all the time, walk to Krogers and pick up frozen pizzas, Smash again. Eventually more of my friends would Smash it became much better. I didn't enter my first tournament until February of 2009. From 2009-2011 I had entered a few tournaments in the local area, but Smash has overall been the best competitive game I've ever played with a good amount of friends.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
Extremely good times as kid with melee.
Want back as freshman after brawl.
Find videos of pros and want to be like them.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Mine is a interesting story; Before Brawl I never owned any of the games, my first experience was Smash at a friend's house back in the day. The guy kept laying down fire as Samas. I never got a N64 and by extension Smash, I never liked the controls back then.
Years later and much older I saw Brawl and remembering the time before I wanted it, but as a habit I don't like to buy a console for just one game, so I waited for others; eventually I used the Wii Fit as the excuse to get the Wii. Brawled for ages, hated the campaign - it took me two years to realize the gate into the final boss battle in the maze. :facepalm: And with the Virtual Consul I picked up Smash recently.

I continue to to play Smash games, including the fan-made games on the PC, because it's just so fun, Brawl because of the socialization with me and the family and friends, and I like the idea of fighting characters from different games, with the potential to create your own with fan games I'd like to think that that kind of syncretism can be applicable for the gaming community as a whole. But most of all it's same for any game you play, you play because it's fun. :)

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
I am not sure. I tried Brawl with a friend a few years ago, and later I started the first game. I like playing as different characters, but I don't actually like fighting games in general. I guess I started because many others played it, I have no idea why I'm still playing it, but I don't want to quit yet.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Please let me tell you that most people here, including the mods, are afraid of what I love - sex appeal. You're barely allowed to talk about it, even though it's included in all Smash games except the first one.

Why do I continue?

Because I have a very strong will. If people don't like the same as I do, fine. But I never change just to "fit in", or to "please the moderators".

The reasons I play Smash is beause:

- it's a very good and fun fighting game with tons to unlock and discover
- Peach's butt attacks

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
As a kid I played it because it was a fun game with all the different Nintendo characters. When I was about 12 I got into a huge Smash Bros rivalry with my brother and over the next couple of years I became obsessed until I could finally match his skill. Then one day at random I thought "I'l try and do more then just match my brother, I'l go for world champion", after about a year I finally entered a tournament. At first it was all about winning and being the best but as I kept playing I noticed it was more about socializing with people. I also grew a new understanding of Smash and fell in love with it all over again. But I still think competition is good for improvement in anything, when I get slightly better at Smash I don't just feel like I've improved as a Smasher I also feel like I've improved as a person which is why I still have the bar set at world champion. There's also the thrill of fighting really strong and deverse players, it might sound weird but I compare the fighting game community to the characters in fighting games. Take Street Fighter for example, the characters in that are all have deverse looks and personality with different fighting styles and it's actually pretty similar for the people who play it. Same with Smash, there are Smashers who are quite and reserved while others are loud and full of energy and others who are more laid back. Some go for tactics while others go for a bull dozzer approach. The community gives the game more replay value than you could fit on a thousand disks.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I play Smash because I love Nintendo and all the games are fun. What else is there to say? My passion for this game is so strong that I want to (and have) play(ed) competitive.

In regards to the OP, despite what the media might scapegoat, the social stigma around gaming is practically gone. Just about everyone plays some sort of game nowadays. The mass appeal of games has been proven with CoD, GTA, or even Candy Crush Saga. Nerdy hobbies and culture are ever more present in popular culture then they ever have been in the 80s, 90s, or early 00s. Every single person, no matter how much they might transcend the label, has at least one nerdy pursuit.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Smash Brother is arguably the best gaming experience, because it have the most beloved gaming franchises ever created in one single game, what else can be asked for?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Please let me tell you that most people here, including the mods, are afraid of what I love - sex appeal. You're barely allowed to talk about it, even though it's included in all Smash games except the first one.

Why do I continue?

Because I have a very strong will. If people don't like the same as I do, fine. But I never change just to "fit in", or to "please the moderators".

- Peach's butt attacks
Rock on brother

spacer`1

Smash Rookie
I'm a Smasher because it made me friends with people that I really liked, and it was just a great way to hang out with them a lot, get familiar, etc. Pretty much my first year of college was all melee all the time. I'm still Super Smash Bros with the people I played with, even though we barely ever play anymore. I picked it up recently because I felt a hole in my life where Smash used to be, and I discovered netplay. :)

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
In today's highly judgmental society, which looks down on so many activities it deems abnormal or antisocial (including Smash), gamers receive a lot of flak from the media. They are shown as troubled addicts, living zombies, hopeless nerds, and *gasp* SCHOOL SHOOTERS EVEN (Columbine, anyone)?
When a "nerd" says this, it enforces the negative stereotype.

This is the only reason the stereotype is still alive to this day.

Why do I continue?
- Peach's butt attacks
(nevermind. Couldn't find the 60's spiderman photo that might've fit with this.)

Moneypants

Smash Rookie
When I'm alone or have nothing to do, I pay smash to either kill time or learn and try to apply new stuff, but when I play with friends I play to have a good time with them; it keeps a smile on my face and it puts one on theirs, especially when funny things happen :3
Smash feels like such a great way to spend time in any way possible, no matter who you're with.
Great stress management too IMO.

Ness 682

Smash Apprentice
I play Super Smash Bros. because I like Ness all too much. I also like the game-play and uniqueness that it provides over other fighting games. It can be fun or competitive, in which I like to switch off between to prevent from burning out from the game! ^^

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I became a Smasher when the N64 one came out, but I really didn't know about the competitive Melee scene until an article in Nintendo Power celebrated the glory that that game is and was. After that I definitely wanted to get involved, but I've never played anyone that competitively because my major is very taxing. However, I love the series and will always devote a little time to it now and again. Especially Melee, because that game kind of changed my life.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I started smashing when I was around 8 or so with the n64. Sadly, I was rather bad and could only play as Mario and never got to the chance to unlocking Falcon until at least 4 years later. When I was 14, I moved onto Melee. :p

T1000416

Smash Cadet
Smash Brothers is an absolute good. Smash Brothers is life.

.... okay, maybe that's reaching out too far. But the Smash Brothers experience is one of a kind. I've met and continue to meet so many people through mutual love of this franchise. It's takes "as fun as it gets" to a whole new level.

It also takes "murderous rage" to another level too. But the less said about that the better...

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I've loved playing video games since I was a wee lad, and my brother introduced me to video games in the first place. The first System that I played on was the N64 and one of the first games I played with my brother was SSB. We didn't get along that much back then, but one thing we could always do was play with each other, and SSB was one of the few games we didn't end up arguing about.

Then when we got the GameCube, because of SSBM, we started playing with one another even more. I was clearly more interested in the game, but we would still have fun nonetheless.

Then once we had gotten a Wii and SSBB, Brawl was a whole new experience for us. Though, it was slower than Melee it was more accessible for the both of us, so he was a bit more interested in playing it. Then, some few years later I discovered other fighting games like Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Persona 4 Arena, and so on. At the point, I had a whole new appreciation for fighting games and started looking at Frame Data and the like. My brother kind of slowed down with fighting games, but I have him to thank for my love of them and video games in general. So SSB holds a special place in my heart for that reason. :)

Haha... sorry for the Wall-O-Text coupled with my kind of life story. XD

Urielhelix

Smash Cadet
I love smash cause it keeps me from doing this stuff on people in real life! XD It helps me work on my fighting tactics with out kicking and getting my ### kicked.

After a good hard day of training I love just coming home and sitting on my couch to play endless hours of smash while I stuff food in my face!!!

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
At first I thought this would sound shallow but the more I think about it the more I find it's true. The reason I've been so into smash since the beginning is because Link is a playable character.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
It was one of the only good 4 player games back then besides golden eye and revenge.
I suppose I never realized the 4-player realm was so limited back then (considering the current market is kind of flooded with those games). The only others I could think of to add to your list are Mario Kart and Mario Party, but I've never really been a fan of either of those.

D

Deleted member

I grew up with the series since 1999. I love every single game and I always try to improve my skills and have some fun.

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm a Smasher because:

- it brought me the love of my life. No joke. It was something that Baha and I had in common and 13 years later, here we are with a kiddo and all.
- it brought me great friendships that have lasted for years. We had a tourney to celebrate our wedding and had so many great friends show up. Years later I still talk to these people and even visit them!
- it will never get old. It's a fantastic game. I mean, even if you really REALLY suck, you can still have fun!
- my 2 year old is starting to learn to play it and thinks that it is awesome. How cool is that?

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
It's a game that my friends and I have played since the very beginning and always reminds me of good times. It's one of those games you can just play and forget about all your problems and I love that about smash. Plus it's obviously so much fun that it really never gets boring for me.

D

Deleted member

My favorite thing about this game is that it's NOT online.
In high school there was a something exciting about hearing that a dude from a different group of friends was good at smash.
I was the best in my group of friends but I wanted to be the best in my school.
I was approaching people I normally never would have talked to but Smash gave me a reason to move out of my comfort zone.
In my junior year I held a small tournament and all kinds of people showed up that I didn't even know played Smash.
It was a lot of care free fun and I think about those days hanging out with new friends and playing Smash often.
These days I've got a job and other responsibilities but I still find the time to play anyone who thinks they're better than me!
I'm even trying to see if there's enough Smashers in north east LA for me to host a local tourney but Echo Park doesn't seem to have many Smashers.

NyteShadows

Smash Rookie
NNID
NyteShadows
It was just a game I found out at my cousin's house when I was 3. I found the game more than cool, I thought it was the best game in the entire universe, and how couldn't it be with all of Nintendo's popular characters brawling it out in one game? It was the only game where you could see Pikachu from the popular handheld game Pokemon, fighting someone like Mario who is every kid's idol, on top of the Great Fox from Star Fox!

When I played smash even more as I got older around 6 and above, I realized that other people like my friends at school played it too. It brought us together because it was a great party game. We liked throwing pokeballs and screaming once we saw a mew. We liked simply playing 1v1s and getting competitive on a friendly level. It was a great game for me back then. Fast forward to me now, a teen in High School, realizing that people at my school still play smash. I start playing with them, and I just thought that I was the best, and that I would beat them. We held a small friendly tournament at my friend's house and when I realized that I was not the best of the 10 of us, barely getting top 3. This made me realize that I am not the best. This got me training right away, but that didn't stop my friends as well. I have been beating them the past 3 weeks, but just this weekend they beat me back. I really want to go to my first tournament with them, it really is a great game that brings people together, and when I watched The Smash Brothers documentary, it made me realize that it was more than just a game. It made me join this site and learn about the community. Despite being in a small town and only being some kid in high school, I hope to befriend any smashers in my town or near it.

This game really just bonds people and gives a sense of happiness and competitiveness in us that I've never really had with other activities before. That is why I play smash. :)

hahapwnd09

Smash Rookie
I played it casually when i was younger, but around high school, me and some friends began to go to this clubhouse and hooked up a gamecube, and we would play for hours.

Now we play against each other competitively, but we feel like it is too late to join into the melee tournament world because people are just too good now (also we live around some of the top players in the world, so any tournament around here that we know of will be futile), so we can't wait for ssb4 to come out to try to be the new kids on that block.

And I don't think that there is anything different with playing these games still. It is a hobby that is fun and competitive.

This game is great, and i absolutely love it, and that is pretty much what brings me to it.

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
Pretty simple really. Got an N64 way back in the day, friends had one, so we wanted a game we could play together. I can't remember which one of us got it first, but it's history from there. Whenever we'd get together we'd try out whatever wacky ideas we could come up with, and just have a total blast. Once Melee came along was when we really started to get competitive with each other, but it never really expanded past our group of friends. A couple of them since moved away, and I really only have one friend who actually has a Gamecube to play Melee, and no one in my group of friends ever got a Wii. Plan to replace my broken one with a cheap used one when I can, probably right after Christmas.

As for why I continue to play it myself though, I always appreciated how it looked simple on the outside, but actually contained an unexpected amount of depth to it once you really started to get into the mechanics of how the characters work. The simple ability to pick up a control and have a fun time drew me in, and the quality of the games and room to always grow better are what kept me in the end, all without ever losing that fun that I've loved since the beginning.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
This is also the reason I play. I have a history with Smash, nothing significant though. I really liked this post as it was straight to the point and not overly pretentious.
My history with the game is fairly extensive, but only because ultimately, it's fun. It's actually not my favorite fighting game, though. I'd play Melty over smash, but the community is kinda ded.

I compete in smash because that's what I find fun. Playing casually is kinda bleh to me.

Dorizzle

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4227-2265-7992
I grew up playing a bunch of games in my childhood, whether it was on the ps2, the xbox, or the gamecube. I bought melee a few months after it came out and well being around 11 and having no one to play with, I grew bored of it and didn't touch it for a really long time. Brawl came out for the Wii and it was basically the same thing expect I had grown up and I played with some of my friends casually and I always ended up beating them. Not too long ago, my friend showed me the Smash Documentary and yeah, I guess it's dumb to say that's how I became a smasher but well I really enjoy playing all the Smash games. A few of my friends and I have started a thing where we hang out at my house all night and basically play it non-stop till we fall asleep. I enjoy proving people wrong and showing them up. I'm good at it but I'm just getting started.

Top Bottom