• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why are three dimensions inferior to two dimensions

VietGeek

Smash Hero
i do not understand this concept and know some ppl will refuse to explain it any longer

however i wish to be educated and use the knowledge to pretend im qualified for the many things i will pursue in life

:048:

Rayku

Smash Lord
Nice avatar, Lounis

I have this picture in my head of VietG when he types. I think it portrays him well. Unfortunately, it's impossible to describe.

VietG should make sense every so often.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
**** rayku maybe u should tell me upfront next time we meet cuz im curious now

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
correct me if i am wrong, but two-dimensional objects dont technically exist, right?
objects themselves aren't two/three/four/etc. dimensions, is the way we see them that determines their dimension.

Jaff

Smash Rookie
objects themselves aren't two/three/four/etc. dimensions, is the way we see them that determines their dimension.
This is pretty much the answer right here, because we have two eyes, we have the depth perception that allows us to see in 3 dimensions. Without that, the whole world might as well just be a nicely drawn painting.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
This is pretty much the answer right here, because we have two eyes, we have the depth perception that allows us to see in 3 dimensions. Without that, the whole world might as well just be a nicely drawn painting.
*high five* I'm glad there are other people that think like this.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
<content redacted>
just because the person sees in 2nd dimension, doesn't mean thats the only one that exists. even if you're only counting on one plane, space still exists, its just not represented in the diagram. and about the one eye thing, your mind still retains some memory of what things would like in the 3rd dimension, which is why depth perception is hindered, but not removed completely.

EDIT:: please try to refrain from calling me ******** just because our views are different. it makes you look like a *******.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I don't think you understand how dimensions work
I don't think you understand my view on this. its different from yours, get over it.

EDIT:: I'll try and get a visual aid of what I'm talking about. I know I'm bad at explaining things, but I want you to atleast partly understand what I'm trying to say.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Diagram:

Person (1):
say for some reason, this person was born with one eye. from there perspective, looking at a cube, they would only see one side, which would appear as a square (2 dimensional). everything they looked at would be represented in a 2 dimensional way. although they would be able to see edges and sides, they would not be able to see the distance from side to edge to side.

Person (2):
our everyday, human being. they look at a cube, and they see what we all see, a cube (3 dimensional). this doesn't really need any explanation. by looking with 2 eyes, you can see multiple perspectives of this object, allowing you to fully examine, its size, shape, distance, volume, etc.

Person (3):
now say that you have someone that was born with 3 eyes. from their view, they would see what we believe is a hyper cube (4 dimensional). they would see from 3 different perspectives, each from one eye. they would not only see depth, but they would also see something that we as 2 eyed humans can't explain. we don't really know what this would like to anyone, frankly because we have no comparison.

all these people would still exist in space, its simply the way they would see that would be different. thus, its not the objects that have separate dimensions, but the way that we see them that determines their dimension.

I apologize if this is hard to understand, I know I'm not very good at explaining things.

Top Bottom