• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are the starters weak?

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm just wondering if anyone does this for fun....
All I did was raise Pichu to lv.56, and haven't touched him since.....
And is it just me, or do the starters stink?
I am not really too hardcore, but I've raised Blastoise to 83, Charizard to 83, and my Venusaur to 66. All of them stink. I haven't raised my Hoenn starters....
And I only have one Jotho starter. But they stink! WHY?

PCHU

Smash Lord
I guess I'm just used to my Lv.100 Mewtwo, and comparing other normals to it.
To test if they are good, I raise them to Lv.50, then multiply their stats by 2.
I raise them higher only if they have 300 in HP, SP Attk, SP Dfense, or Speed.
That's why I am going to train my Lugia and my.......
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Not Raikou, Suicune, or Entei, I've caught them, and they stink
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Latias, I don't care, she was one of my favorites
Latios, I don't know....
Kyogre, my friend gave it to me, and it's already 71, so I'm not touching it.
Groudon: WOW, more than likely.
Rayquaza: Done, Lv. 100. The first Lv. 100 I raised, besides my friends Salamence.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you play with legendaries too often. I don't think the starters suck as much as you think them to be, maybe you're just not raising/using them the best way.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, Yes. I do.
I play with Legendaries often, much too often.
And I put them on drugs, mostly to boost their speed or specials.
I should've drugged my Rayquaza on Carbs.

But I do raise them right.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
=_=... you have a major Uber problem... don't you?

Charizard-Sweeper
Blastoise-Tank/Wall/Spinner
Typhlosion-Sweeper
Meganium- Wall
Feraligator- Sweeper
Blaziken/Sceptile- Sweeper
Swampert- Wall/Tank
Empoleon- Tank
INFERNAPE- THE BEST SWEEPER OF ANY STARTER!

Either you've never played on wifi without Ubers, or, you know nothing of the Metagame...

Suicune does NOT stink... one of the best bulky waters in the game.

Torterra and Venusaur aren't good starters :\...

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Starter Pokémon aren't bad. They are some of the best Pokémon in the game. I dislike using Ubers. It's like borrowed power. They are already strong. You really aren't doing much to them. You aren't taking a weak Pokémon and making it strong. You are taking a strong Pokémon and making it stronger. I don't like using ubers.. no skill involved in having Mewtwo use Psychic on everything. I use Legendaries to fight the Elite four the first time, as my in-game team isn't strong enough yet. Thats about it. If you wanna know if a Pokémon is strong check out it's base stats and move pool. Multiplying it's stats at level 50 is kinda tedious.

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
And I put them on drugs, mostly to boost their speed or specials.
I should've drugged my Rayquaza on Carbs.

But I do raise them right.
...Um, do you know what EVs are? It sounds like you don't understand the mechanics of the drugs...no offense. If this is the case, I suggest you go here. Serebii is a good source of basic information. Read that before you continue training.

Doubling stats at level 50 is a bit inaccurate as the aforementioned EV points will throw off your calculations if you haven't been keeping track.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I know that it's inaccurate, but it's my best shot. Also, I went to Serebii before I went here, so I read up on a few things. And what's wrong with legends?
My Mewtwo can't Psychic EVERYTHING, so I went on it's strengths and, basically, it's attack doesn't play a part in his attack, as the only moves that he has are Psychic, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. And if he dies, Rayquaza has
Dragon Claw, Brick break, Ice Beam, and Crunch. And my starters have the Celedon-bought moves too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Um...stick with the Uber environment??

Most of the starters make nice sweepers, like DDGatr or BellyZard for example. Others provide decent walls like Empoleon and MixPert.

I don't see how you think the starters are weak.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm saying compared to my other main ones that I use.
I mean, I want them to have stats in the 300s.
The Regis have incredible potential, they have stats over 100, and they are only lv.40! That Means a few in the 300s.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
I'm saying compared to my other main ones that I use.
I mean, I want them to have stats in the 300s.
The Regis have incredible potential, they have stats over 100, and they are only lv.40! That Means a few in the 300s.
Well, it all depends on a Pokemon's base stats. Some Pokemon's stats can't get above 300, and others' stats shouldn't be above 300.

Your Pokemons' stats can, and probably will, exceed 300 if you work on the stat (i.e. beneficial nature, EV training, perfect IV).

Also, if you're comparing your starters' stats to your Ubers', then your starters' will obviously be lower. They're Ubers for a reason.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
but pokemon isn't my thing smash is
First of all, don't triple post. Second, why are you even here if Pokemon ain't ur thang?

YES, I KNOW I SCREWED UP MY TITLE.........
But I can't change it.
Yes, you can. In your first post, click the edit button. Then, click Advanced. Then you can go up and change the title.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Icon_of_Sin

Smash Apprentice
Stats aren't important.

Actually,Starters are pretty good. I mean a blastoise can crap on mewtwo's face in a battle.(so can my amazing furret)Besides, all pokemon are pretty useless in reality.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
wow, you guys have offended me horribly.

Venasaur a bad starter? Venasaur is one of the best starters out there. None of the other starters can take hits like Venasaur while hitting with powerful stab from moves like sludge bomb and leaf storm. He get's leech seed, sleep powder and stun spore as level up moves. He's not weak to stealth rock and he is immune to toxic spikes. He's a awesome utility pokemon, annoyer, wall, and just all around awesome.

With leech seed and leftovers he can even take out Blissey. Her massive HP restores more damage then he will take from a seismic toss or ice beam. Not many special attackers can do that. The only one that comes to mind is Nasty plot Porygon.

Check the tier list before you start dissing Venasaur.

OU: Infenape, Swampert

BL: Blakizen, Charizard, Empoleon, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Torterra, Typhlosion, VENASAUR!!!!

UU: Blastoise, Meganium

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
wow, you guys have offended me horribly.

Venasaur a bad starter? Venasaur is one of the best starters out there. None of the other starters can take hits like Venasaur while hitting with powerful stab from moves like sludge bomb and leaf storm. He get's leech seed, sleep powder and stun spore as level up moves. He's not weak to stealth rock and he is immune to toxic spikes. He's a awesome utility pokemon, annoyer, wall, and just all around awesome.

With leech seed and leftovers he can even take out Blissey. Her massive HP restores more damage then he will take from a seismic toss or ice beam. Not many special attackers can do that. The only one that comes to mind is Nasty plot Porygon.

Check the tier list before you start dissing Venasaur.

OU: Infenape, Swampert

BL: Blakizen, Charizard, Empoleon, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Torterra, Typhlosion, VENASAUR!!!!

UU: Blastoise, Meganium
I haven't commented on Venusaur yet. That means I'm still on your good side, right?

Anyway, last I checked, Typhlosion was UU. However, I've seen that Smogon has recently changed their tier list around, but I haven't looked at Typhlosion yet.

Don't forget, Venusaur can also attack physically with a comfortable 82 base Attack, as well as Swords Dance, Seed Bomb, Earthquake, and some other attacks I don't remember.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Empoleon is one of the best pokemon for countering Specs Mence... don't rag on him either. Resisting Dragon w/ an Ice Beam to threaten? Should make Mence go crying home to its trainer. Sceptile kinda got owned by the Physical/Special split in DP, losing Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, and Crunch. Now he's more physical.

But yea, the starters are actually really good. That's why they're starters, so that you can use them throughout the whole game. Powerful in the beginning, powerful at the end.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Starters stink? You on crack dear sir?

Swampert in my Trick Room team *****.
My infernape is just insane.
My(shiny) Dragondancing physical Charizard destroys.
My Venusaur is just a biatch xD (SLeep Powder/Leech seed/Synthesis/Sludge Bomb @ Big Root)

Oh yeah empoleon is nice to, raising one now as my friend bred a piplup for me.

rainbowkirby100

Smash Cadet
You're just way too used to playing with legendaries. And not touching the Hoenn starters may be a factor. And my Swampert rules. You might just not be using good moves to teach them. In my opinion, the starters are one of the better pokemon to train.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
From what I've heard, Typhlosion is the BEST scarfEruption poke in the game (excluding ubers).

Typhlosion@ChoiceScarf
Modest/Blaze
252/252/6 pure sp.sweeper
-Eruption
-Hidden Power[ground]
-Hyper Beam/Quick Attack
-Blast Burn/Quick Attack

Eruption spam until you get hurt, consider switching out. Switch in with the suicidal recharge attacks or to pick off Focus Sashers with quick attack. Typhlosion won't last very long, but STAB eruptions with high speed should not be overlooked. Most teams lack fire attacks to handle the common steel types. Typhlosion is great for attacking then retreating.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Ok, I get it...I guess I just like 300's in stats.
But, yes, I see that the starters are good. But, Aren't Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence/metagross, and Garchomp better?

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I get it...I guess I just like 300's in stats.
But, yes, I see that the starters are good. But, Aren't Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence/metagross, and Garchomp better?
Well, yes. But any team that doesn't have a counter to these crazy OUs has been designed to fail. Starters, on the other hand, aren't always the first thing people think to counter (seriously, are you going to run into more CSphlosions, or Garchomps). Also note that the dragons you mentioned get OHKO'd by ice, something heavily exploited in the metagame.

Kips

Smash Ace
There are no weak starters in my opinion. Venusaur, Blaziken, Infernape, Swampert and more are plain amazing in their abilities. They can usually be team staples in a multitude of roles, with many being able to compete at OU or BL.

D

Deleted member

the best starter, a pokemon you start with to go through the game, is bulbasaur on the basis that he destroys the first 2 gyms and gets a sleep move at an extremely low level (sleep powder, lv 13.) allowing you to go through the game quickly and easily with the early and far superior Gyarados and Kadabra. Just my opinion though.

Top Bottom