• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are so many people lying to themselves?

Rexxgrim

Smash Rookie
So since my previous post where I spoke of World of Light after completing it the first weekend of Smash Ultimate's release - I have been digging into my Achiever side and have played a decent amount in the online mode in order to gain progress toward the Challenges. While using Golden Hammers on some, I still ended up playing a fair amount of Online matches and gave mostly all characters multiple spins to try the water and see if I could come to like a character I did not expect to enjoy.

While doing this - A buddy of mine did the same thing, we are both achievers and realized that not all of the Challenges can be met in Arena matches so we often sat on Discord or right next to one and other and player online matches separately but spoke about them as we went on and after all this time - I must say that I am baffled by the amount of people who not just here on SmashBoards - but who in general all over the place where any form of "Smash Community Discussion" can be sparked (Reddit, Facebook groups, Discord groups) - Are straight out lying to themselves when it comes down to character balance.

I myself am ATTEMPTING to become what people mostly mean by a "Try-hard" player. I'm practicing to time Perfect Shielding, I've been getting into Attack Canceling and boost grabs more recently. On C.Falcon, Luigi and K.Rool just to mention some of the character I had the most fun with (although having tried with more than these three) - I have practiced those supposedly "Auto-win" combos and so on and so forth.

Thankfully so that my impression is not skewed; I got my buddy who is pretty much the opposite - He currently cares little about the mechanics of the game, plays mostly just to mess around and kick some tail with his fave Nintendo characters and although he looks to improve - currently that is not his main goal of interest.

The result of all this is that I get to experience and see both sides of the coin that is the "general" mentality between the polarizing ends of different Smash players while also getting to experience how it is to face both sides as the online mode currently matches me with "try-hards" as well as the more relaxed players. And oh boy has this made me get a good giggle out of everyone who calls this game broken.

To my experience it seems that currently ANY - And I mean ANY character has SOMETHING to show up with to the fight and that is simply comes down to the skill of the player holding the controller. Sure as all hell some characters will always have counters. But this is just a good thing. With so many characters as we have now: you'd want SOMEONE to hard counter SOMEONE ELSE in one way or another. And I feel like the counter balance is better now than before.

This aint no Smash 4 where the only way to beat Cloud is to off stage him as Charizard and edge guard.

This aint no Smash Brawl where the only way to beat Meta Knight is to wobble him into oblivion as Ice Climbers.

This aint no Smash Melee where the only way to beat Fox is to be SUPER gimpy with Pikachu.

Currently I feel like no character is in that "On a pedestal" levels of broken, nor is anyone "the worst" - Sure some will always be a bit "better" in general terms than someone else as balancing out all of these characters is a tough task but I do feel like Nintendo has done a pretty swell job for the launch of the game. Some changes can be done sure.

As someone who may start to main Inkling - I personally think the roller's Burying effect should last somewhat sorter as it feels a tad strong at the moment; That is whenever I meet someone who does not mash their controller as VS these guys - The roller does sweet FA besides paint the map until the much higher percentages of damage.

^ And that right there is the main thing I feel mostly anyone who complains about Smash Balance fails to see. It all comes down to how good you are and how you handle game mechanics.

I'm pretty darn sure if that Nintendo dropped an overnight patch that just sat a "MMR" staple on everyone and had that be followed to the max when matchmaking online; most of the complaints would be gone but currently that is not the world we live in. But even if that were to happen I know people would complain, and complaints are fine - leave constructive criticism all you want. But don't try to tell me that there is much of a "broken" state in this game atm.

Compared too the last 3 Smash games, 2 of which sure was un-patch able and is stuck in broken hell holes of "MK needs to be banned" or "Shine spamming" - I'd say that Ultimate has started out extremely well rounded and will most likely just need more of a "MMR" system fix in online mode rather than much character balancing as atm; Everyone is here - but most importantly; Everyone has something to bring to the fight.

So why are people spouting nonsense and lying to themselves regarding character balance? Do some of you really not see the forest for the trees? Was that ONE time K.Rool got you by up-throw into Up-B really something so scarring that you had to go on and call him the most broken character in the game? Like come on folks, shape up or wake up.

Oddball

Smash Lord
It's been a thing since people start playing videogames. The player isn't bad. It's just that the computer is over powered and cheats.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
People will blame anything but themselves when they lose. For example, anyone who says they main low tiers "because they're good" is probably garbage at the game and only main bad fighters as a way of excusing themselves when they get bodied.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
People will blame anything but themselves when they lose. For example, anyone who says they main low tiers "because they're good" is probably garbage at the game and only main bad fighters as a way of excusing themselves when they get bodied.
Lol, we really need to play; Im always willing to 1v1 so, whenever youre ready.

Top Bottom