• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are people considered bad for maining Little Mac?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I haven't played Smash yet, but from what I have seen of Little Mac, this is what I got

PROS

Very high speed
Very high damage
Very high knockback
Lot of Super armor
KO punch
Powerful counter
Final Smash is whack (I've seen smash attacks inflict over 40% and KO at barely 50%)

Cons

Lightweight (82 value)
Crap recovery
Useless in the air besides pot shots and interrupting
VERY LOW survival (because of being about the 8th lightest character and an embarrassing recovery)

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Bad by association.

Early online was full of awful players side specially off the edge or getting shieldgrabbed then gimped off the side over and over and it's probably attached a permanent stigma to the character.

I find that the only Macs left now are actually great, I usually love playing them.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
A couple of reasons; He has assets that make new players gravitate towards him, and ever one and their grandma played him in for glory mode upon launch. Personally I think the hate is misplaced and I have massive respect for Little Mac mains, or even secondaries. He is really hard to play in the higher levels, and is easily the most disrespected character.

MikiSagittarius

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1461-6991-9602
Little Mac isn't bad in the air

The average human can only jump 4-5 feet in the air, while Whopper here can almost jump the entire FD

On a more serious note: Little Mac is character people with skill should play, his offensive ground movement and power in physical attacks is tremendous making him a solid character and practically a comfortable glove for people with high skill levels who can use him correctly

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love Little Mac! Sure his Up+B, Side+B, and overall air game are bad but he makes up with fast ground speed, KO meter, and strong punches. He's really fun to play with.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I love Punch Out!!! and Mac is so enjoyable to play in this game, Mac is without a doubt one of Nintendo's coolest characters in my opinion and I'm glad he's in Smash. Even though I don't and won't main him, I still like to support his metagame, and I hope all you Mac players can forge a good future for him, and I'll stick around to see it!

I do wish he had a better Uair (at least with higher shield damage) and a better Neutral B than Straight Lunge so he can deal with platform camping and he'd have a neutralb he can actually use for something. If another balance patch cam to his aid fixing these 2 things, that'd be all it take for this character to be good, I think.

Deadzombie

Smash Rookie
I love Punch Out!!! and Mac is so enjoyable to play in this game, Mac is without a doubt one of Nintendo's coolest characters in my opinion and I'm glad he's in Smash. Even though I don't and won't main him, I still like to support his metagame, and I hope all you Mac players can forge a good future for him, and I'll stick around to see it!

I do wish he had a better Uair (at least with higher shield damage) and a better Neutral B than Straight Lunge so he can deal with platform camping and he'd have a neutralb he can actually use for something. If another balance patch cam to his aid fixing these 2 things, that'd be all it take for this character to be good, I think.

Try a Dtilt smash against a shield with a Ftilt.

The body blow itself takes the shield down to 15% so if you charge it's just little longer it's knock out time

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Try a Dtilt smash against a shield with a Ftilt.

The body blow itself takes the shield down to 15% so if you charge it's just little longer it's knock out time
I meant against people standing on platforms above you, where your tilts aren't going hit them and Mac is forced into the air. Mac doesn't really have an answer to platform camping and the stage he's on can work against him due to his weak aerials and his short double jump. All he can really use is Rising Uppercut/UpB, which is pretty darn unsafe and easily punished if your opponents shield it. His Up Aerial is a safer option, but it does a lot less damage (and a not very damaging move in general) and your opponents can still shield that too. I mean, yeah Mac's shield pressure game is dangerous while he's grounded, and Mac is obviously a beast on the ground in general. Its just that as long as there are platforms, they can just camp up there and force him to fight airborne and he can't do much. Almost all other characters can take care of platform camping with upwards projectiles, their own Uairs, or just jumping up to the platforms with them, and Mac doesn't really get those luxuries.

The rest of his aerials? They can suck as many balls as they want. I just desire a stronger Uair for people standing on platforms. I view this as his biggest weakness rather than his recovery, personally. Mac is a lot more dependent on stage choice than other characters are, and that's kinda why people are having a negative view of him currently.

Deadzombie

Smash Rookie
You can always try up tilts they have enough range to make a small hit box even then empty jumps into grabs. rising nairs into spot dodge might be safe.

I have to go into practice but this interests me to.

Also custom moves are slowly becoming a factor

Last edited:
Top Bottom