• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Who's gonna use the 3ds as a wii u controller?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I think I'll give it a try, especially in a party setting as opposed to competitive. I also have a feeling there are gonna be some characters that feel more natural with each control scheme. Maybe dark pit on 3ds and pac-man with pro/gamecube controller?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Unless I had the new 3ds with it's working C-stick then I wouldn't even think of this as a option. Once I get my C-stick back I'm never going back to playing without it.

edit: Even in a party setting, unless I'm just the best there and I don't need it.

Last edited:

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
I will. NOT. (lol jk)

I might use my 2DS as a controller at some point, but I'll probably just stick to a GameCube controller when playing Smash.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Unless I had the new 3ds with it's working C-stick then I wouldn't even think of this as a option. Once I get my C-stick back I'm never going back to playing without it.

edit: Even in a party setting, unless I'm just the best there and I don't need it.
To each his own. If you get a new 3ds lemme know how the c-nub works :) personally I used just the wii remote for the majority of my brawl days and snake played smooth like butter even without the c-stick. Idk if this game's gonna be too fast paced for just the wii remote though.

I will. NOT. (lol jk)

I might use my 2DS as a controller at some point, but I'll probably just stick to a GameCube controller when playing Smash.
U have a 2ds also? Have you been able to compare how a 2ds and 3ds handle at all? I feel like the 3ds would feel more like a traditional controller because the stick and the buttons don't seem as spread out.

tuterking

Smash Rookie
NNID
TuterKing
3DS FC
1435-4089-0435
No way. I will use my 3ds to play the 3ds version but when it comes to the WiiU I will use the pro controller. I find it hard to tilt attack on 3ds, there is not right analog stick. and the joy stick is much better. 3ds is fine but when it comes to the best controller you got to go for the pro controller, or i guess GCC but I'm not spending money on that.

vypex

Smash Cadet
Only as a last resort, would only use 3ds if my GC controllers broke.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
3ds is at two disadvantages. The circle pad, and the controller is the system itself. If I break a Wii U controller, I still have the system.

Thor

Smash Champion
If I want to enter a Smash 4 Wii U tournament and they don't have the Gamecube Controller converters, I will use my 3DS over any other control scheme, since I would definitely want to play at one with a control scheme I am familiar with.

If they have the converters though, I'll use my Gamecube Controller - the c-stick is helpful and I like the Z button for grabs, since I tend to use R and Z when I play Brawl/Melee (though I am trying to change that habit, it is with me as of now).

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
"Who's gonna use theeea, buahahaaaahahahahaha! Oh that's good." My exact quote on seeing the title of this thread.

I'm sorry but The CPad fails so hard to ever be a controller. I don't even care if I have to use the tablet. I'm not using the 3DS.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I probably might for the sake of muscle memory because I'll still be playing the 3DS version too.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I might for eight player smash if I don't have enough controllers... assuming I can get enough people.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I still own a couple of GC controllers that are in top shape, and they are vastly superior to the 3DS in every aspect I can imagine. Don't know why I would bother playing with my 3DS and risking to damage it since it seems to have problems surviving intense inputting.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If I have a lot of friends over sure I can volunteer to use my 3DS, but heck no otherwise, probably the best thing about the Wii U version is that you can use a proper controller.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'll only use my 3DS when I'm playing the 3DS version so I'm not gonna consider it unless I actually need it.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
No, my 3DS has already gone through enough harm with Smash 3DS.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
To each his own. If you get a new 3ds lemme know how the c-nub works :) personally I used just the wii remote for the majority of my brawl days and snake played smooth like butter even without the c-stick. Idk if this game's gonna be too fast paced for just the wii remote though.

U have a 2ds also? Have you been able to compare how a 2ds and 3ds handle at all? I feel like the 3ds would feel more like a traditional controller because the stick and the buttons don't seem as spread out.
I say the 2DS is, because it's not super thin like the 3DS's bottom half and it has larger shoulder buttons.

As for my response to the topic at hand, yes when I have friends over, no when I'm by myself.

Last edited:

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
I've gotten pretty comfortable with the 3DS, plus I suck horribly with the GC controller (hate the button layout) So pretty much yeah.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
When I go to my friend's house and play Smash Wii U (because I don't have a Wii U) I will use this option as I am more used to the 3DS controls now.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
It's a bad options to use the control. People are obviously gonna prefer using other controls. But at the same time, I'm pretty sure friends that come over to play might like the 3DS as an option. Or with the lack of controllers, we'll mostly be going for the 3DS. I mean, for an eight player match, I don't have eight controllers. Also if friends come over and have never played the Wii U version or don't own it, they might want to go with the 3DS just to feel comfortable.

Besides it's better than the Wii Mote.

Chaos Brawler

Smash Rookie
When I heard about all the different controller options I was excited to use my 3DS. Now i'm starting to doubt that using it would be a good idea since it's so fragile.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Only if I'm in a situation like there aren't enough controllers to use, or if playing with 6+ people. Another situation is if my Wii U controller dies and I am too lazy to charge it; I could grab the 3ds from my pocket to use.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Pahahahaha WAHAHAHAHAAAA No.
I'd sooner use a Wiimote sidewa- blurghghghghgh I can't even finish that sentence....
But no, no way. Not happening. Not even as a super desperate last resort.

Ohzma

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-5448-8974
I can't stand the 3ds as a controller... I. JUST. CAN'T.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's a nice option to have. Not one I will often use, when my precious gamecube controller comes to me, but.......yeah, it-ll be a thing....

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I will main with my 3ds since I dont own a Wii U, but are there really any disadvantages for playing with a 3ds instead of a gamecube controller/wii U pro controller?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No c-stick, and 3ds isnt as sturdy.

Also throwing controller in rage with 3ds = losing a system.

ShenanigansFox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4554-0285-0683
Probably never unless we dont have a spare controller/one breaks. Either way probably just using my Wiiu pro controller over a GC controller anyways.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Uuuh theres no way man

On the gamecube controller i can easily preform a much better combo than what im getting in the 3ds version

(But on the bright side i will have mewtwo in winter/spring 2015) (by winter i mean march)

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I actually may end up doing this when I go to tournaments. I don't have a Wii U and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. I don't like the sound of having to change the control settings before every match. I'll even have c stick with the new 3ds coming out.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
I'll try it out, no way I'll use it permanently though. I'm aiming my sights towards that Super Smash Bros themed Gamecube controller that comes with the bundle for the game.

darkchip1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkchip1
No way.
My A, B, R and X buttons feel a little unresponsive, and my stick seems a little bent down the middle. My 3DS' controls are actually frustrating me. Can't wait for the Gamecube controller to come back.

Khao

Smash Lord
As my own personal controller when playing on my own? Ewwww, no ****ing way.

As a way to make up for having more players than controllers while there's still support for more in the game? Definitely.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I'd only use it casually, and even then, rarely. But it's at least better than the Wiimote by itself.
As my own personal controller when playing on my own? Ewwww, no ****ing way.

As a way to make up for having more players than controllers while there's still support for more in the game? Definitely.
This.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Entirely depends on the availability of GC controller adapters for the wii u on launch day. I will be downloading the game the second I can... I will be playing the game the second I can... so if that happens before the adapter comes into play, who knows... I might get a few rounds in with the 3ds. C-stick asap though... And I want to Dacus again so, GC hands down.
:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom