• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@ Munomario777 Munomario777
I'm not going to convince you that Kirby would win. You're not going to convince me that Sonic would win. This whole thing is pointless, we might as well just agree to disagree like before and call it a tie.
M'kay. I still fail to see how he'd resist that amount of force, but whatever.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
@Dryn
Hmm... I played Xenoblade all the way through, and perhaps it's mentioned somewhere in there (the game has a LOT of text) but I don't recall any kind of spiritual connection being a major part of the story behind ether. Again, I might have missed it, but I'm wondering where that idea came from, since it seems to be the major thing that makes you think Ether can't be analogous to quarks/atoms.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
@Dryn
Hmm... I played Xenoblade all the way through, and perhaps it's mentioned somewhere in there (the game has a LOT of text) but I don't recall any kind of spiritual connection being a major part of the story behind ether. Again, I might have missed it, but I'm wondering where that idea came from, since it seems to be the major thing that makes you think Ether can't be analogous to quarks/atoms.
If Shulk needs ether to reach full power ether should be in the arena. Otherwise it would be unfair.

Is this the longest thread on smash boards?

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
If Shulk needs ether to reach full power ether should be in the arena. Otherwise it would be unfair.
We're not giving fighters an unfair advantage. Ether is unique to the Xenoblade series, and this battle does not take place in any fighter's universe.
Is this the longest thread on smash boards?
I think that honor probably goes to the social threads. :p

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Palutena, Ganondorf, and Ness' powers absolutely carry the same implications that Shulk does. Palutena is a goddess, but outside of her universe she would be a chick with green hair. Ganondorf is the holder of the Triforce of Power, but outside of his universe he'd be a big dude holding a piece of scrap metal. If you are assuming they're on a battlefield where all of our physics apply, then none of these characters could do anything. They do rely on an "all-pervasive thing"... Palutena and Ganondorf's magic, Ness' PSI abilities... Without magic or PSI, like Ether, they're nothing.
You're misunderstanding. I didn't say Shulk doesn't have his abilities. I said that being in an etherless location, he wouldn't be able to will anyone out of existence because they're not made of ether. This ignores the fact that Shulk has never done this to any of his enemies before, so willing them out of existence is not part of his MO. Shulk's Monado uses ether and is likely made of it, so it'll be able to generate ether. Palutena's power, Ganondorf's power, and Ness' power do not sustain their respective universe. I'm willing to bet whatever it is that sustains them are at least present in other universes as well.

Quantum mechanics tells us how the things that make up atoms work... so yes, it has everything to do with an atomless universe because you're implying that none of it would apply, when above you said that these characters are fighting in a universe with physics similar to our own... By your logic, if Ness can control PSI in his own universe and was plopped into Xenoblade, he wouldn't be able to do anything. Vice versa with Shulk. Sonic would be moving so fast he would be unable to breathe, the entire planet would be ravaged by the damage he leaves behind, and his tendons/joints would rip themselves apart. But here, in the battledome, their powers apply. Why would we not let them fight with their powers...?
No it doesn't because quantum mechanics doesn't tell us anything about atomless universes. You also built a straw man. I am not saying Shulk doesn't have his abilities. I'm saying that he cannot will people out of existence because they lack ether. If Darth Vader was in this match, he would only be able to use the Force on himself because his body has midi-chlorians. Unless there was something comparable to midi-chlorians in his opponent's body, then he wouldn't be able to use the Force freely on others. Shulk is made of ether. He can use vision because it involves him and danger. Shulk can use Monado Shield because he is made of ether. Shulk cannot will another out of existence because they're not made of ether.

If not then Bowser would stomp everyone because he's a nine foot tall, 2600 lbs lizard and no one would be able to scratch him.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Ether in our world contains oxygen. I never claimed it was dioxygen or anything of the sort. I said that ether contains oxygen. In our universe, Shulk could do whatever he wanted because he manipulates ether. And since we're fighting using our universe, he would blinkstomp the entire cast. He'd turn them into tuna sandwiches or turn their weapons into liquid or simply will them out of existence.
Yeah, ether in our world isn't ether from the Xenoblade universe because it doesn't share the same properties. Ether in our world is A. Ether in Xenoblade is B. The law of identity says A is A. This means all the characteristics have to be exactly the same, otherwise A and B aren't the same. Since it's not part of Shulk's MO to will people out of existence, he wouldn't do it.

And no, "of course" ether isn't different. You don't know that. That's my point. If you're going to say "X doesn't work but Y and Z do because that's just the way it is", then your argument holds no credibility.
It is different. Unless you're willing to prove that ether in our universe affects a spiritual world.

@Dryn
I've never played Xenoblade, but man, do scripts sure come in handy.

"The Monado is a divine sword capable of disturbing the very fabric of existence. Of both the material and the immaterial." (Alvis)

What's the fabric of existence made of?

"Magnified greatly, it has the power to control the very fabric of our world – ether." (Alvis)

So the Monado can affect the existence of the Xenoblade universe because it's made of ether. Atoms as far as I'm aware are physical. I'm not going to bother trying to prove that there exists a spiritual world. So, ladies and gentlemen, are we going to say ether is magic?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I think that honor probably goes to the social threads. :p
It's the best thread on Smashbros, though!

I'm willing to bet whatever it is that sustains them are at least present in other universes as well.
What makes you say that?

No it doesn't because quantum mechanics doesn't tell us anything about atomless universes. You also built a straw man. I am not saying Shulk doesn't have his abilities. I'm saying that he cannot will people out of existence because they lack ether. If Darth Vader was in this match, he would only be able to use the Force on himself because his body has midi-chlorians. Unless there was something comparable to midi-chlorians in his opponent's body, then he wouldn't be able to use the Force freely on others. Shulk is made of ether. He can use vision because it involves him and danger. Shulk can use Monado Shield because he is made of ether. Shulk cannot will another out of existence because they're not made of ether.
You don't know whether there's anything comparable in an opponent's body, you have no idea. You can't prove that Ness or Darth Vader's abilities would or wouldn't work.. but you assume that Samus' Energy Tanks would because it's convenient for your argument. Why not apply this to all combatants? If we were debating Darth Vader, I would most certainly assume his abilities would work. Midi-chlorians are present in all living beings... who is to say we don't have them? That Mario or Peach or Yoshi don't? The same goes for Ether....

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
If we're going by the rules you tried to lay out, that we can't assume X because we're in a different universe, then Bowser could beat any of the rest of the cast because you can't ever know if their powers would work or how they would react. He's a 9 foot lizard who weighs over a ton. No one could kill him, let alone hurt him.

Yeah, ether in our world isn't ether from the Xenoblade universe because it doesn't share the same properties. Ether in our world is A. Ether in Xenoblade is B. The law of identity says A is A. This means all the characteristics have to be exactly the same, otherwise A and B aren't the same. Since it's not part of Shulk's MO to will people out of existence, he wouldn't do it.
You don't know that, though. You have no idea. You're grasping here.

And you're right, it's no in Shulk's MO to do it, he didn't even want to be a god in the first place. I already said pages back (granted, before you and I started this discussion) that if morals are on Shulk would at least entertain the fight and play around before massacring whoever he's facing. Morals off and he just blinks them away.

No Smasher has the relative abilities or feats to stack up to Shulk. He killed a future-seeing universe buster. We can go back and forth about this forever, but until you prove that anybody could beat a future-seeing universe buster with reality warping abilities I'm not convinced anyone can do anything to Shulk.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
What makes you say that?
It's not stated that they need something exclusive to their world to function.
You don't know whether there's anything comparable in an opponent's body, you have no idea. You can't prove that Ness or Darth Vader's abilities would or wouldn't work.. but you assume that Samus' Energy Tanks would because it's convenient for your argument. Why not apply this to all combatants? If we were debating Darth Vader, I would most certainly assume his abilities would work. Midi-chlorians are present in all living beings... who is to say we don't have them? That Mario or Peach or Yoshi don't? The same goes for Ether....
Midi-chlorians are exclusive to the Star Wars universe (they're not shown to be in any other universe), and they need to be inside the target for Vader to manipulate them. Samus's gear may be exclusive to the Metroid universe, but they don't require anything specific to be in the environment. Shulk needs ether to be inside his target in order to manipulate said target. Ether is exclusive to the Xenoblade world (Alvis describes ether as "the fabric of our world"), so outside of the Xenoblade world, Shulk cannot use these techniques on anyone but himself.
If we're going by the rules you tried to lay out, that we can't assume X because we're in a different universe, then Bowser could beat any of the rest of the cast because you can't ever know if their powers would work or how they would react. He's a 9 foot lizard who weighs over a ton. No one could kill him, let alone hurt him.
Bowser being a lizard =/= Shulk relying on a universe-exclusive substance.
Ether has shown many different properties that matter in other worlds does not demonstrate. Instead of being redundant, I'll refer you to the posts Dryn and I have made on the subject.
And you're right, it's no in Shulk's MO to do it, he didn't even want to be a god in the first place. I already said pages back (granted, before you and I started this discussion) that if morals are on Shulk would at least entertain the fight and play around before massacring whoever he's facing. Morals off and he just blinks them away.
Except Alvis is not here.
No Smasher has the relative abilities or feats to stack up to Shulk. He killed a future-seeing universe buster. We can go back and forth about this forever, but until you prove that anybody could beat a future-seeing universe buster with reality warping abilities I'm not convinced anyone can do anything to Shulk.
Shulk can see the future... in his own universe. He can reset the universe... in his own universe (and if Alvis is present). Since we're not in Shulk's universe, he is not a "future seeing universe buster". Those abilities rely on things present in his universe and his universe alone.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What makes you say that?
In the Mario universe, it's the stars that bring life. In our universe, the same can be said of us. As the late Carl Sagan would put it, we are all made from "star stuff". The Zelda universe relies on the three goddesses, although it doesn't appear that anyone relies on the goddesses' power to remain alive. It's almost as if the Zelda universe is polydeistic. The Metroid universe is known for having the Sun, the planet Earth, as well as planet Jupiter, as well as the asteroid belt where the dwarf planet, Ceres, would be located. You can see this here. It'd be closer to our universe and closer to the Mario universe than the Xenoblade universe.

Considering characters like Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu are all from a different universe, I can say with absolute certainty that none of them have something called ether. Mario relies on atoms. Link relies on force, the very breath of life. Samus relies on atoms. I suspect those from Pokémon are supposed to rely on something similar, but who knows? One thing is for certain, both the Zelda and Pokémon universes have some divine being''s existence for the creation of the universe.

Bowser would either be very slow or incapable of moving. However, you're still making a straw man because I'm not denying anyone their abilities and none of these characters rely on something like ether in order to be able to use their abilities.

Like any assertion, I can dismiss it.

That has nothing to do with morals. It has to do with method. Just because someone who enjoys killing, doesn't mean they'll first go in for the kill. They very well may prefer to humiliate their prey.

It's not for me to prove. I'm not making the claims, I'm doubting them.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
You're misunderstanding. I didn't say Shulk doesn't have his abilities. I said that being in an etherless location, he wouldn't be able to will anyone out of existence because they're not made of ether. This ignores the fact that Shulk has never done this to any of his enemies before, so willing them out of existence is not part of his MO. Shulk's Monado uses ether and is likely made of it, so it'll be able to generate ether. Palutena's power, Ganondorf's power, and Ness' power do not sustain their respective universe. I'm willing to bet whatever it is that sustains them are at least present in other universes as well.
This sounds reasonable to me. I personally don't agree with it, but it's not an unfair view to take at all.

I've never played Xenoblade, but man, do scripts sure come in handy.

"The Monado is a divine sword capable of disturbing the very fabric of existence. Of both the material and the immaterial." (Alvis)

What's the fabric of existence made of?

"Magnified greatly, it has the power to control the very fabric of our world – ether." (Alvis)

So the Monado can affect the existence of the Xenoblade universe because it's made of ether. Atoms as far as I'm aware are physical. I'm not going to bother trying to prove that there exists a spiritual world. So, ladies and gentlemen, are we going to say ether is magic?
However, I have no idea how this shows that ether isn't analogous to subparticles like quarks or atoms? I guess you can argue the word "immaterial" implies "not matter", but the Monado can control both atoms AND energy, which would be both material and immaterial. It seems to me that Ether is analogous to quarks/atoms since there's no discussion of it in a magical/spiritual sense. It just so happens that the beings of the Xenoblade world can manipulate atoms/quarks innately, as if by magic! (Not so very different from Zelda, Robin, et al.) XB just gives it a fancy name.

But hey, fancy names can certainly imply a difference, so I don't think it's unreasonable to take the opposite stance. After all, people are kneejerking power levels just based off the word 'goddess' without regards to feats, so it's not uncommon here.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
@Dryn

I'm not sure if "magic" is the right term. I think we should just call it "ether". I can't really think of a fitting term for something like this to be honest.
However, I have no idea how this shows that ether isn't analogous to subparticles like quarks or atoms? I guess you can argue the word "immaterial" implies "not matter", but the Monado can control both atoms AND energy, which would be both material and immaterial. It seems to me that Ether is analogous to quarks/atoms since there's no discussion of it in a magical/spiritual sense. It just so happens that the beings of the Xenoblade world can manipulate atoms/quarks innately, as if by magic! (Not so very different from Zelda, Robin, et al.) XB just gives it a fancy name.
As far as I'm aware, atoms, quarks, and general energy don't look like this:

Or share many other properties of ether. Energy isn't material, but that doesn't mean that it can directly affect the spiritual world.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

But hey, fancy names can certainly imply a difference, so I don't think it's unreasonable to take the opposite stance. After all, people are kneejerking power levels just based off the word 'goddess' without regards to feats, so it's not uncommon here.
Quarks and sub-atoms are physical objects. Energy is also physical. Things can be massless and physical like photons.

@Dryn

I'm not sure if "magic" is the right term. I think we should just call it "ether". I can't really think of a fitting term for something like this to be honest.
That'd probably be what ether is closest to. If that's the case, then it should be able to manipulate anyone who is made of magic or affect their magic abilities.

Or share many other properties of ether. Energy isn't material, but that doesn't mean that it can directly affect the spiritual world.
Energy is material, if by that you mean it's physical. I've never observed a physical object be affected by a non-physical object.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
That'd probably be what ether is closest to. If that's the case, then it should be able to manipulate anyone who is made of magic or affect their magic abilities.
Just because it's closest to magic doesn't mean that it's the same thing, or that it should be treated as the same thing. Birds are apparently the closest thing we have today to dinosaurs, but there are some clear differences, and they cannot be treated as the same thing. The same applies here.
Energy is material, if by that you mean it's physical. I've never observed a physical object be affected by a non-physical object.
Yes, it is physical. By "material" I was referring more to matter and all that. I agree with your points here.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Quarks and sub-atoms are physical objects. Energy is also physical. Things can be massless and physical like photons.
I'm not denying that Energy is physical, but by definition it's not 'material' - made of matter - which is the phrasing used by Alvis that you posted.

@Dryn
As far as I'm aware, atoms, quarks, and general energy don't look like this:
Fair point!

What other properties? What 'spiritual world'? I'm not trying to debate, I just generally what to know what these are in the context of Xenoblade... (I've played the game and ether isn't really a main focus. It's generally just background flavor to the main story, so it's possible that it got brought up in NPC dialogue or something that I missed.)

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
What other properties?
Appearing as it does in the image above, appearing as crystals, forming stat boosting gems, being mined, etc.
What 'spiritual world'?
The one that @Dryn brought up.
I'm not trying to debate, I just generally what to know what these are in the context of Xenoblade... (I've played the game and ether isn't really a main focus. It's generally just background flavor to the main story, so it's possible that it got brought up in NPC dialogue or something that I missed.)
That's quite possible.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Just because it's closest to magic doesn't mean that it's the same thing, or that it should be treated as the same thing. Birds are apparently the closest thing we have today to dinosaurs, but there are some clear differences, and they cannot be treated as the same thing. The same applies here.
It'd be their version of magic, just like PSI would be Ness' version of magic. In the Zelda universe, there is force, which is the sacred power of the gods. This is also the breath of life, so it's possible that force affects the material and immaterial worlds in the Zelda universe.

I'm not denying that Energy is physical, but by definition it's not 'material' - made of matter - which is the phrasing used by Alvis that you posted.
It's supposed to be energy and mass, actually. Considering "divine" was used within that same sentence, I'd suspect "immaterial" is referring to spiritual, rather than physical, according to the definition from the Oxford English Dictionary. There are gods, after all.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
That's kind of a large logical leap to be making given that Xenoblade doesn't imply any kind of spiritual presence whatsoever in the game... In fact, it seems to be using the fairly common trope where "Magic exists, but here's a pseudoscience explanation for how it works". Xenoblade characters have fantastical powers and technology, and the magitechnobabble explanation is "Ether Manipulation". Because no one has to explain how a person can manipulate -Ether-, whereas if they'd called it "Quark manipulation", NOW you're too close to actual science.

Which again, is a fair enough reason to disallow Ether in this scenario. But disallowing it because it's not similar enough to quarks/atoms because quarks/atoms aren't 'spiritual' (neither is Ether...) is disingenuous to Xenoblade's source material.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It'd be their version of magic, just like PSI would be Ness' version of magic. In the Zelda universe, there is force, which is the sacred power of the gods. This is also the breath of life, so it's possible that force affects the material and immaterial worlds in the Zelda universe.
Yes, but they shouldn't be treated as the same thing.
That's kind of a large logical leap to be making given that Xenoblade doesn't imply any kind of spiritual presence whatsoever in the game...
There are gods. Isn't the Monado (which relies on using ether to get things done) used to kill them?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That's kind of a large logical leap to be making given that Xenoblade doesn't imply any kind of spiritual presence whatsoever in the game... In fact, it seems to be using the fairly common trope where "Magic exists, but here's a pseudoscience explanation for how it works". Xenoblade characters have fantastical powers and technology, and the magitechnobabble explanation is "Ether Manipulation". Because no one has to explain how a person can manipulate -Ether-, whereas if they'd called it "Quark manipulation", NOW you're too close to actual science.

Which again, is a fair enough reason to disallow Ether in this scenario. But disallowing it because it's not similar enough to quarks/atoms because quarks/atoms aren't 'spiritual' (neither is Ether...) is disingenuous to Xenoblade's source material.
It's not a logical lea at all. Anyone who mentioned the word "immaterial", or "divine", or "gods" suggests the presence of the spiritual. Until you can prove that ether is anything like quarks (physical objects), I'll stick to this position.

Yes, but they shouldn't be treated as the same thing.
It'd be fair to at least treat them analogous.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If anyone is interested, I just finally posted up What type of energy is the power beam made of?. I've been working on this for a while. For those who cannot get to my blog for whatever reason, here you go.

According to the official Metroid Prime Web site, the power beam is referred to as “the basic energy unit”. [1] This would likely be understood as a joule. [2] The official Metroid Fusion Web site calls it an “energy beam”. [3] Energy comes in different forms, and I would suspect the power beam is at least using kinetic energy, since the object fired is in motion. Let’s go over the properties of the power beam. It’s able to knock back humanoids. This doesn’t necessarily mean the power beam has mass. Photons are massless, but still possess momentum. Second, the information about Eyons tells us the power beam produces a bright flash of light when it ignites. [4] To ignite means to cause something to catch fire. “Ignite” here probably means “explode”, since the power beam never sets anything on fire. Of course, it does leave charring on walls.

The next thing we can learn about the power beam is that it’s not considered a “natural energy”. [5][6] It could be artificial energy, or as a few have suspected, supernatural energy. If it’s supernatural energy, we must forfeit any understanding of the power beam by this point. If it’s artificial energy, then we can continue. I am inclined to think it’s artificial energy because the way it’s described seems to match a natural understanding. No doubt, in order for it to be such, it must be man-made. Plasma is found in nature and it can be produced unnaturally, but this kind of thinking would contradict the plasma, ice, and wave beam being natural, since these are produced unnaturally. My only guess to resolve this inconsistency is to say that the Chozo aren’t affected by heat, cold, and electricity.

The power beam uses several types of energy, such as kinetic (due to its motion), potential (because of its reference point), thermal (the motion of the particles), and gravitational energy (its association with the gravitational field), but this doesn’t necessarily mean this is what the power beam is made of. It’s doubtful that the power beam is electrical or sound energy because it shares neither of these properties. All we have left are chemical, elastic, electromagnetic, ionization, and nuclear energy. It could be possible that chemical energy is used to generate the power beam, just like a battery would produce light, but again, that would be what the power beam uses, not what it’s made of. I’m not so sure that the power beam would fall under elastic, ionization, or nuclear energy, however.

Considering Samus’ beam weapons fall under directed-energy weapons, I wouldn’t be surprised if electromagnetic energy was what the power beam was made of. More specifically, what would this beam actually be? Considering the power beam does not pass through solid objects like the wave beam, that would mean it’s being absorbed by the target. Gamma rays and radio waves can pass through solids, and so can visible light, but only if it’s powerful enough. We know the power beam isn’t powerful enough to pass through solid, unless it destroys the solid by smashing into it. For anyone who might be wondering, yes, I am proposing the idea that the power beam is a laser, or more specifically, a pulsed laser. What would this coincide with?

I think the power beam would best fit pulsed energy projectiles (PEP) because not only are the beams fired in bursts, they’re non-lethal. Of course the power beam can kill, but it’s the weakest of Samus’ beams. So the power beam could be a more powerful PEP. This is done by laser heating, which causes plasma to form on a target surface. The electrons in the plasma absorbs laser light through inverse Bremsstrahlung and heats the air. The plasma is heated strongly and a shock wave forms and moves away from the surface. Electron density is high enough to absorb all of the laser light in the shock front. Then high pressure air plasma exerts a very large mechanical force on the target. [7]

These properties are similar to the power beam, except the power beam is not referred to as plasma or a laser, and the projectile can be seen traveling, rather than waiting to hit a target before the results occur. An alternative could be a laser bullet. [8] Whether or not the power beam is anything like a PEP or PIKL, the one thing that stands out is that it is most likely made of electromagnetic energy. Why does the power beam have to be electromagnetic energy when it uses other types of energy? Considering directed-energy weapons emit high focused energy and these include electromagnetic radiation, particles, and sound, it seems to make the most sense for electromagnetic energy to be part of the power beam’s aspect.

Sure, bullets use kinetic, potential, thermal, and gravitational energy as well, but I’m not aware of these energies as objects that stand alone. The power beam is energy, not mass. I suspect this will make some question whether or not the power beam actually travels at the speed of light based on what we can see in game play, and I wouldn’t expect any less. However, I am not going to work strictly with the visual speed of projectiles in the Metroid series, considering there have been beams that are described as lasers or high-frequency beams, and yet travel slower than what the intended speed would be. From my observation, I think the closest thing the power beam would match is PEP. I honestly am not certain what else it could be at this point.

1. “The Power Beam is the basic energy unit produced by Samus Aran’s standard Arm Cannon.” – Official Metroid Prime Web site, Power Beam
2. APS Physics, Energy Units
3. “Samus’s standard Energy Beam is sufficient for defeating weaker enemies encountered early in the mission. Samus will need to upgrade, however, before facing more dangerous creatures.” – Official Metroid Fusion Web site, Normal Beam
4. “Immobile organisms entirely composed of ocular tissue. Capable of launching sustained energy beams when active, the Eyon is sensitive to light and will close shut if a bright flash ignites nearby.” – Metroid Prime, Logbook, Eyon
5. “Chozo Ghosts are spectral entities whose partially-phased nature makes them invulnerable to natural energy types, such as fire, ice, and electricity.” – Official Metroid Prime Web site, Chozo Ghost
6. “Bioelectric field invulnerable to natural energies. [. . .] This partially phased nature makes them invulnerable to natural energy types, such as fire, ice, and electricity.” – Metroid Prime, Logbook, Chozo Ghost
7. NDIA PIKL, Moore
8. Scientists Demonstrate What A Real Laser Bullet Would Look Like

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I'm not really out to prove that Ether is exactly the same as quarks, there could very well be some differences that I'm missing, not the least of which being that image that Muno showed of condensed ether. I'm just taking issue with the way you're imposing a 'spiritual world' into XB's lore, which has basically no support, which really goes against your usual interpretations that I've read from you throughout this topic. You're making the assumption that something exists when there's no proof of it. The only thing you're using as proof are a character's claims, which I -know- you've argued against in the past, like in the case of Zelda/Sage's claims about Ganondorf.

It definitely feels like a similar scenario here. I'm going to assume it's because you haven't played the game and you're just taking info from wikis without the visual cues and context from the game itself. Particularly with regards to the words 'gods' and 'divine', the game uses them more in a metaphorical sense. Certain characters have the abilities and feats akin to deities, but they are mortals made all-powerful through science. Literally having reset the universe by mistaken experiment involving Ether, there's no indication that Ether is anything "spiritual" or that there is a "spiritual world". It's kind of like the Galactus origin scenario from Marvel Comics if you're familiar with that. GodLIKE power, but doesn't require the existence of the spiritual.

If anyone is interested, I just finally posted up What type of energy is the power beam made of?. I've been working on this for a while. For those who cannot get to my blog for whatever reason, here you go.
Also, yay! New Nintendo nerdery to read~

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm not really out to prove that Ether is exactly the same as quarks, there could very well be some differences that I'm missing, not the least of which being that image that Muno showed of condensed ether. I'm just taking issue with the way you're imposing a 'spiritual world' into XB's lore, which has basically no support, which really goes against your usual interpretations that I've read from you throughout this topic. You're making the assumption that something exists when there's no proof of it. The only thing you're using as proof are a character's claims, which I -know- you've argued against in the past, like in the case of Zelda/Sage's claims about Ganondorf
I would like to it clear that I've come to accept the statements from Zelda and the sages concerning Ganondorf. There was something about some figure in the past in one of the Zelda manuals that made it clear to me that this individual received knowledge from the goddesses, who are omniscient. I accepted that Ganondorf could not be killed by anything except the power to repel evil. Tell me what you think "immaterial" means because this is Alvis, the one who seems to know all that there is to be known of ether, who is including "immaterial" into "the very fabric of existence".

It definitely feels like a similar scenario here. I'm going to assume it's because you haven't played the game and you're just taking info from wikis without the visual cues and context from the game itself. Particularly with regards to the words 'gods' and 'divine', the game uses them more in a metaphorical sense. Certain characters have the abilities and feats akin to deities, but they are mortals made all-powerful through science. Literally having reset the universe by mistaken experiment involving Ether, there's no indication that Ether is anything "spiritual" or that there is a "spiritual world". It's kind of like the Galactus origin scenario from Marvel Comics if you're familiar with that. GodLIKE power, but doesn't require the existence of the spiritual
I took a bit of info from the Xenoblade Wiki, but the game's script is what I relied on to get to this conclusion, since I was unsatisfied with what the wiki had to say. I was also interested in finding out if Shulk's vision relied on ether. So I went to the source itself. I don't see any reason to think of "divine" and "gods" as figurative, especially if they're omnipotent, an attribute only the classical definition of "god" would have.

Also, yay! New Nintendo nerdery to read~
I hope you enjoy.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
You know what I just realized, Yoshi has never been shown to take damage in any of his games that I can remember.

It says on the wiki that ether is required for living things to live in the xenoblade universe. So if the ruling is that ether is not present, Shulk would just die at the start of the match and be bottom tier.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
You know what I just realized, Yoshi has never been shown to take damage in any of his games that I can remember.
He has a proper life bar in Woolly World. You can die as him in Super Mario 64 DS. Yoshi appears in Sunshine as a mount like in the 2D platformers; I'm not sure if he can take damage or not. He can't technically die in Galaxy 2; rather, he retreats to an egg. I think this would count as a loss, though, as he has to be retrieved by Mario. He will "die" from bottomless pits in games like Super Mario World. We can't see what happens when he falls into lava, as he's not allowed into castle stages. Mario Maker may shed some light on that, though.
It says on the wiki that ether is required for living things to live in the xenoblade universe. So if the ruling is that ether is not present, Shulk would just die at the start of the match and be bottom tier.
Shulk is made of ether, so he can stay that way in the battle.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero

I know. Ether deficiency occurs when there is a change in the atmosphere. While I think that's funny, we're ignoring that because that would be unfair to Shulk. Shulk already has all of his abilities. The only thing that he cannot do (and most likely wouldn't do if ether was present) is will people out of existence. Honestly, even with ether present, it's not like the characters on the roster are made of it, so it still wouldn't work.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Tell me what you think "immaterial" means because this is Alvis, the one who seems to know all that there is to be known of ether, who is including "immaterial" into "the very fabric of existence".
Ugh. I hate pulling out dictionaries in debate, it feels so pedantic. Merriam-Webster states that it means "Not consisting of matter; intangible". Basically, yes, spiritual things are all immaterial. But not all things immaterial are spiritual is what I'm getting at. Alvis can use that word and simply be referring to all of those things without any implication of a spiritual existence in the XB universe.

I don't see any reason to think of "divine" and "gods" as figurative, especially if they're omnipotent, an attribute only the classical definition of "god" would have.
I'm not sure how omnipotence implies the existence of a spiritual world? Is a spiritual world required for omnipotence? Does Ether need to have a spiritual component to confer omnipotence? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely trying to talk through the logic here and coming up with dead ends.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ugh. I hate pulling out dictionaries in debate, it feels so pedantic. Merriam-Webster states that it means "Not consisting of matter; intangible". Basically, yes, spiritual things are all immaterial. But not all things immaterial are spiritual is what I'm getting at. Alvis can use that word and simply be referring to all of those things without any implication of a spiritual existence in the XB universe.
Well, immaterial refers to spiritual, rather than physical. This is attributed to philosophy from the OED. Synonyms for "immaterial" are intangible, incorporeal, not material, bodiless, unembodied, disembodied, impalpable, ethereal, unsubstantial, insubstantial, airy, aerial, spiritual, ghostly, spectral, wraithlike, transcedental, unearthly, supernatural. Funnily, "ethereal" contains the word "ether". Ether is defined as:

(also aether) chiefly literary The clear sky; the upper regions of air beyond the clouds.

(the ether) informal Air regarded as a medium for radio.

(also aether) Physics, archaic A very rarefied and highly elastic substance formerly believed to permeate all space, including the interstices between the particles of matter, and to be the medium whose vibrations constituted light and other electromagnetic radiation.

I wonder if the developers of Xenoblade is using the aether of physics, which is now an obsolete scientific model. By the way, the word ether comes from the Greek word aither. That's how the Greek's actually spelled it. It's pronounced "ee-ther", not "ay-ther". I suspect "daemon" is also pronounced like "demon", from which we get the word, and "aeon", pronounced "ee-on". Anyway, the last definition seems to fit with ether. Too bad it's not real.

I'm not sure how omnipotence implies the existence of a spiritual world? Is a spiritual world required for omnipotence? Does Ether need to have a spiritual component to confer omnipotence? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely trying to talk through the logic here and coming up with dead ends.
I used to be a Christian, but the only two people I can point to are Thomas Aquinas and William Lane Craig. I think they spoke of omnipotence as an attribute of an incorporeal god.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
He has a proper life bar in Woolly World. You can die as him in Super Mario 64 DS. Yoshi appears in Sunshine as a mount like in the 2D platformers; I'm not sure if he can take damage or not. He can't technically die in Galaxy 2; rather, he retreats to an egg. I think this would count as a loss, though, as he has to be retrieved by Mario. He will "die" from bottomless pits in games like Super Mario World. We can't see what happens when he falls into lava, as he's not allowed into castle stages. Mario Maker may shed some light on that, though.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Super Mario 64.

Last edited:

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
(also aether) Physics, archaic A very rarefied and highly elastic substance formerly believed to permeate all space, including the interstices between the particles of matter, and to be the medium whose vibrations constituted light and other electromagnetic radiation.

I wonder if the developers of Xenoblade is using the aether of physics, which is now an obsolete scientific model. By the way, the word ether comes from the Greek word aither. That's how the Greek's actually spelled it. It's pronounced "ee-ther", not "ay-ther". I suspect "daemon" is also pronounced like "demon", from which we get the word, and "aeon", pronounced "ee-on". Anyway, the last definition seems to fit with ether. Too bad it's not real.
That is just outright cool. The nerd in me that loves technobabble explanations is satisfied with this.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been playing Kid Icarus for the NES. It was one of the first games I had for the NES, the other being Super Mario Bros. Comparing Pit from Kid Icarus with Pit from Uprising kind of bothers me. It would have been nice if Pit just had his bow shoot heart-tipped arrows like Cupid, not some blue, ethereal energy. Fire arrows would have been a nice comeback as well.

I am not happy that the game was directed by Masahiro Sakurai because he doesn't plan on making a sequel. I wish it would have been made by Toru Osawa instead. He's that important fellow who is responsible for Kid Icarus. I don't like that Pit can break the fourth wall, either. I would be interested in seeing Pit show up in The Legend of Zelda, though. That'd be cool.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Any items/feats from KI1 that you think might be interesting to share or debate about?
In Kid Icarus, Pit acquires an item called protective crystal. It can harm enemies who touch them. Its damage output will be equal to Pit's arrow strength. By the way, the arrow strength increases the damage of Pit's arrows. This in addition with the fire arrows will cause extra damage. The fire spirals around the arrows, by the way, which slightly increases the diameter of the attack. Pit can also wear silver armor, which reduces damage by half.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I thought he got some kind of temporary invincibility item in the older KI games, a la Starman. But I haven't played them, so not sure. I do know that he had the Angel Feather powerup that allows him limited-time flight, so even without the 3ST or GST or Palutena, he can fly on his own for a bit.

Reckless Godwin 2.0

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Turns out he seems to be able to produce a burst of speed that allows him to travel supersonic. At least Mach 1.2, the low-end speed of supersonic objects.

Also, if the speed Pit can travel is 100 m/s, and if he roughly traveled to the Lunar Sanctum in 32 seconds, then the distance is 3,200 meters (3.2 km.). Pit dodges a laser around that distance, which means his reaction time is 10.67 microseconds. Well, let's do something. 1 meter divided by 3,200 meters is 3.125%. Multiply that by 299,792,458 m/s (the speed of light) and Pit will be able to react to speeds of 9,368,514.31 m/s from anyone within a meter. In other words, no one should be able to hit Pit, except those who can move at light speed.
You are calculating reaction times with video game lasers. You never calculate reaction times with video game lightning or lasers. You should be wary of using video game black holes as well.

Has the ability in question resisted 45212697.67 pounds of force? Even if we extrapolate, and say that they will survive and counter the attack, Sonic can withstand it; he crashes into walls at these speeds with no issue. He will then attack them again for a KO.
Don’t bring up this extrapolating nonsense, Miracle activates more than half the time which is enough and Counter scales with the force of the enemy’s attack. Walls give way, Counter doesn’t.

Taking a hit from someone strong enough to throw something around the sun and back is proof.

Enough to go around the solar system in seconds, that's much faster than the speed of light

Can Sonic survive half the force of his own attacks? I don't think he can.
Are you sure that feat wasn’t an outlier or done for comedic affect?

The full force of his own attack. Lucina and Male Robin use the FE13 version of Counter which returns full damage. Ike is the user of the half strength Counter.

Because it's effective.

That won't

Because it's supposed to lock onto things.

Point?

Because there would be no game. The player would lose instantly.

Meanwhile, Mega Man has already done said time stopping while Shulk was having the vision.

The goal is to kill the opponent by any means necessary.

Not if Mega Man follows them.

I believe it's in one of the movies.

Explain to me how Shulk will dodge Sonic's attacks.

Do you have a video of Shulk surviving it?

What protective power does the Monado have? Mega Man's weapons can destroy robots, which are made of metal.

I saw no proof.

And Chaos is called a "god of destruction".

How is asking for durability feats a no limits fallacy?

Prove the force of the Monado's attacks, then.

How is this link relevant?

When has Shulk demonstrated the latter?

Oh, sorry. Would you mind condensing that a bit? There's a lot to take in. :p

When did I say that?

What feats of durability have they demonstrated?

No, precognition is knowing when to dodge; dodging ability is the ability to actually do the physical dodging. I could be tied to a chair and be told that I would be shot in the head (precognition), but I'm tied to a chair, so I cannot dodge it.

Ah. Those rely on the Talent Gauge, no?

Does it not block only one attack normally?

Singleplayer can be bypassed by playing the entire game with multiple players.

Lore is proof.

Around ten yards, IIRC.

Then how did Shulk have visions throughout the game?

Why would he be against anything related to gods, yet keep the Monado? If he was smart about these things, he wouldn't abandon his own godship.

Why would he give up the best thing that ever happened to him, that being becoming a god?

Shulk parries the robot with his sword. The sword has godly power. It would seem that the sword possesses the strength here.

"Ally" is defined here as a sentient being that can operate separately from the main character in a meaningful way. The wisps are only useful when Sonic combines with them, so they are items, not allies.

No, he's not. If he was, Shulk would not get to use the Monado.

When has he been shown to disable mystical gems? That's the Master Emerald's job.

Did he use his "omnipotence" to do this?

I saw a link to a video of a robot swinging a large sword at another robot. How does this relate to the Power Bomb?

And not what she's doing.

We'll have to see. I hope it does well, it looks like a really cool game. :/

I somewhat doubt that. :p

What good will this do?

It also shows wildly different properties from matter and energy in other universes.

Prove how much force it possesses, then.

1. This never happened in other universes. Prove that the Monado can transform matter into ether.
  2. Prove that other universes possess ether. Keep in mind that it is not simply "matter and energy", by the way. You'll need the specific properties to be paralleled to prove anything.

I'm working with Trick Room increasing the speed of the user or decreasing the speed of the target so that the user can exceed an opponent 9x faster than them, as to not extrapolate. Both will have the same effect. I'm interpreting the "high priority moves ignore the swap" deal as fighters with fast enough moves can move quickly enough to still be faster than the user of Trick Room, even when slowed down. (If that makes sense. :p)
It’s not effective because it puts them in danger. Melee range is typically the most dangerous range to be in.

Your wrong, knock it off.

It probably locks on to heat signatures, like modern combat aircraft.

It can reach out further than you think.

He doesn’t have that power, Mr. extrapolation!

Time stops when Shulk has visions, otherwise they would be useless in combat. Mega Man won’t waste Time Stop on a human because he isn’t supposed to kill them. Look at how many times he shows Dr. Wily mercy.

The goal isn’t to kill the opponent, the goal is to defeat the opponent by incapacitation.

Mega Man isn’t that fast.

Link please?

So it is still up in the air.

He won’t, he will shield them instead.

https://youtu.be/VjxDkW5_EhI?t=129 vision at 2:09-2:21, connects at 2:43-2:47. In the video Shulk’s max Hp is 6093, while the laser hits for 2381. If Shulk were at full HP he would be able to survive two of the lasers back to back, three if he threw out a light heal after the first laser connects.

The Monado itself is unbreakable so it should have no trouble blocking Mega Man’s shots.

You are a lost cause.

I don’t care what it is called, it is no more of a god than King Kong is.

We are talking about how Shulk can ignore Super Sonic’s invincibility and kill him in one hit.

I don’t see any Darknuts in Zelda parrying the sword of a several story tall robot. You can’t use standard enemies from Zelda as a benchmark.

Player characters are typically way stronger than their enemies by at least an order of magnitude if not more.

Every single time he dodges an attack.

No. I have to read and respond to your rebuttal, it’s only fair you do so in kind.

By implying Mega form invincibility has no upper threshold.

Look up Metal Face’s durability, scale up to account for the fact that Yaldabaoth is around 2-3 times taller than him.

Your example is hilariously bad, Shulk isn’t restrained at all like in your example. You also forgetting the part of his visions which will tell him when to dodge.

Yes, they rely on the talent gauge.

Gameplay mechanic (one attack or series of attack) vs Cutscene (lasts for quite a while in the Arachno Queen scene). Which one do you think I’m going to use? Hell, which one would you use?

None of the games here allow that, except the newer Mario games.

I suspect that this reply is out of place.

10 yards translates to 9.14 meters. The M in the distance chart must mean Meters which puts the opponent in range for Monado Buster, Purge, Eater and Cyclone. That is going to be painful for the opponent.

Because it came into existence with the new universe.

I guess Godhood scared him away, not to mention all the bull**** Zanza put everyone through.

Let’s take a vote, how many people would like to have a fully functional Monado? I would abuse godhood so hard I would wind up trolling entire countries and create my own personal harem of loyal Superwomen.

Since when do swords possess strength? As strong as Shulk is he still has some difficulty holding back Dunban from executing one of their enemies, and Dunban is wielding a normal sword with his one good arm.

Seriously?

That would defeat the whole purpose of this thread.

He is at minimum on par with the Master Emerald and arguably much higher.

How else would he kill him? Until he pulled out the Monado III he was only annoying Zanza, and Zanza acted as if he was in no danger at all.

That blow could be blocked by Monado Shield, and the Power Bomb and Smart Bomb could be blocked by Monado Shield. The Robot hitting the other “Robot” would produce far more force than either of the bombs, and destroying a room has nothing on that.

You can still tell if she is rushing forward to smack you or bracing to fire a powerful shot.

It’s the Wii U, expect disappointing sale figures.

Putin.

This is in response to Dryn saying that Shulk can’t envision himself.

So? I don’t see you railing against the lunacy of slow moving anti-grav cannonballs in Mario games.

I’m not a physics major.

1. Other universes were not destroyed by Zanza’s experiment.
  2. Earth existed in the old universe, that is all I need.

Sonic doesn’t have different priority moves and you shouldn’t be using made up figures. I’m going to give Mewtwo the win against Sonic because of Trick Room countering him into oblivion.

One thing worth mentioning is that while Trick Room may be a field effect, we don't actually know how far its effect extends. For people considering this as a battle, it's entirely possible that it doesn't cover the whole 10x10 km or whatever battlefield. I personally don't know how it's used in the anime either.
Doesn’t matter. When Sonic gets ensnared in Trick Room he will never get out of it alive. He might even die of suffocation because his lungs and heart are slowed down too.

According to Wikipedia, "Some of the reinforced concrete buildings in Hiroshima had been very strongly constructed because of the earthquake danger in Japan, and their framework did not collapse even though they were fairly close to the blast center. Since the bomb detonated in the air, the blast was directed more downward than sideways, which was largely responsible for the survival of the Prefectural Industrial Promotional Hall, now commonly known as the Genbaku (A-bomb) dome."

Using Nuke Map and setting the explosion to be detonated in the air, the fireball would have only covered 0.1 km^2. Aside from the fireball, the thermal radiation reached 12.5 km^2. Samus' power bomb is set on the ground.

Notice it's the Monado that's affected. This cannot be carried over into an etherless location.

Actually, the snare beams are generated by Metroid Prime, a Metroid that fed on vast quantities of Phazon, a semi-sentient, extraterrestrial material with mutagenic properties that kill weak organisms and mutate strong organisms. Phazon is what caused the destruction of planets, including Aether, which caused a dimensional rift, creating not only a dark version of the planet, but other alien life. You read that correctly. Phazon messed with spacetime.

Had the part about ether affecting the immaterial not been mentioned, or if there wasn't some ethereal realm that ether also affects, then ether could have been compared to atoms. Because atoms are physical objects, we cannot assume that's what it is.

Only with force, not much else.

The curve of those arms or whatever make it difficult to calculate. I thought about using a cylinder, perhaps. I'm not sure what the density of the body is. I suppose I could try working with steel, although I doubt this is acceptable. Say it's 2 meters and the diameter is 1 meter. Using pi * r^2 * h would give us a volume of 1.5707963267948966 m^3. The density of steel is 7,800 kg/m^3. This gives us a mass of 12,252.21134900019348 kg. Next, the acceleration.

The distance isn't all that far, so I'll say 2 m/s^2. Using F = ma, this gives us 24,504.42269800038696 kg m/s^2, which is equal to 2.75 tons-force. This assumes I calculated everything correctly, but it relies on a lot of assumptions. I'm sure anyone would doubt the mass being equal to that of steel, unless the Arachno Queen was metallic. I was being generous.

On the other hand, Samus' speed booster produces a force of 21,763.35 kg m/s^2. You can see the speed booster wouldn't meet this expectation, but shinesparking would make a difference since the acceleration would be equal to the velocity, resulting in 43,526.7 kg m/s^2, or 4.89 tons-force. I'm also ignoring the mass of Samus' armor since the consensus is that her body mass is 90 kg.

The other videos are difficult to determine.

I worded things wrong. I wasn't trying to say the explosions don't act like actual explosions. I meant to say the cause of the explosions are unknown to me because I don't have the explosive material. I could try using the blast radius, of course. I don't think I'd be able to cover every explosion, though, just the one on Mechonis Field. Also, here's what half a kiloton of TNT looks like. Apparently, according to the narrator, that's enough to wipe out a small city. I don't have anything for even 3 kilotons on video.

What kind of armor? Steel melts at1,370°C. Cast iron melts at 1,375°C. Still interesting. Samus is vulnerable to at least 800°C, so that could harm Samus.

X parasites were the top of the food chain on planet SR388. They're able to perfectly duplicate other organisms and retain their memories. The only thing the X parasites cannot copy are mechanical objects. The Ing of Dark Aether, on the other hand, can possess organisms and machines. I'd say the Ing are more of a threat than the X, honestly. I looked up "space locusts", but got nothing. If you want to go ahead and tell me, you're more than welcome to.

If there are multiple universes, it doesn't necessarily mean they behave the same way as other universes. Earth in the Xenoblade universe doesn't necessarily mean it's the same in another universe with a planet called Earth. Even if ether was present, I'm not sure how that's supposed to change anything. Shulk can use Monado Shield. He can use vision. Shulk is inherently made of ether, but it doesn't mean the rest of the roster is. It's like how Darth Vader would be able to use the Force on himself, but not anyone else who lacks midi-chlorians.

As for Mischievious (sic) Naberius, I'm sure Samus could defeat it. She's dealt with Quadraxis and other large enemies
Japanese prewar building for top tier. /sarcasm

Rejected.

The Monado messes with space-time too, especially the time part.

So your saying it will only work in universes with ghosts like the Mario and Fire Emblem universe? Your being silly.

That is all I need to make my point.

Would that amount of force be needed to punch through a person with mandibles like that?

Facepalm.

That explosion looks anemic compared to even a weak nuke.

Jade Face describes his body being made of steel, even if normal steel isn’t anywhere near as durable. I don’t see Shulk beating Samus without Sodo’s interpretation due to Samus’s extensive arsenal and very high damage resistance. I’m going with the notion that Shulk can render Power Bombs and lasers useless with Monado Shield but Samus can just keep up the pressure indefinitely with all her other weapons.

When I used the term “space locusts” I was classifying them based on their behavior, in that they will wipe out all human life if they aren‘t stopped which is difficult thanks to near limitless numbers. Before Monolith Soft. created the Mechon and their near-impervious armor and the Telethia and their mind reading capabilities, they created the Gnosis which could wipe out most mid tier sci-fi universes. These vs threads should give you an idea of their power (https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/precursors-flood-halo-vs-gnosis-xenosaga.325139/, https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/gnosis-vs-sci-fi.157173/, and https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/gnosis-xenosaga-vs-forerunners-halo.261638/). Even Samus would be at a loss as to how to fight these beings (assuming she doesn’t just find a new weapon or ability lying around).

You would receive all sorts of flak if you tried to use that reasoning in a vs thread involving Star Wars.

That thing is making me dizzy (funny how it blasts orbs at you and attacks you via stamping the ground (those rings of fire are actually visualizations of shockwaves for Samus right?)). I never thought that battle would end. I’m sure Samus could beat both of those spider tanks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpiderTank), but I seriously doubt that there are all that many in the cast that can best those foes!

I'm referring to the distance between the planets. Look at this link to see what I mean.
Nice space link Munoboy.

Ether in our world contains oxygen. I never claimed it was dioxygen or anything of the sort. I said that ether contains oxygen. In our universe, Shulk could do whatever he wanted because he manipulates ether. And since we're fighting using our universe, he would blinkstomp the entire cast. He'd turn them into tuna sandwiches or turn their weapons into liquid or simply will them out of existence.
Don’t you mean turn their weapons into Tuna (http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...1/019.png/revision/latest?cb=20130205053152)? You left yourself open for that one!

@Dryn
There are only three instances of spiritual matters in Xenoblade. The first one is the heart to heart in Ose tower where Riki claims to sense the ghosts of Shulk’s parents. The second is when Dickson implies that Melia and Kallian will be lovers in the next life after Zanza resets the universe. The third involves Melia, Riki, and Kallian after beating Ms. “You’ll pay for your insolence”.

Yes, you could say ether was magic in Xenoblade. Ether in the other Xeno games was a substitute for magic and served as a catch-all term for special abilities like Chi, Nanomachines, and drawing power from a higher dimension via Zohar.

That is why you should ignore the ruling.

That is just outright cool. The nerd in me that loves technobabble explanations is satisfied with this.
You better stay away from Xenoblade’s two older sister video game franchises Xenogears, and Xenosaga! There are all sorts of technobabble explanations in Xenogears perfect works (book) and you can’t throw a rock without hitting an acronym in Xenosaga or its associated tombs.

@Dryn, @Nerdicon, @ Munomario777 Munomario777 , DjinnandTonic, @ monzer monzer Should we ban using video game lasers or lighting for the purposes of reaction feats?

My Canon Smash Tier List

Out of 62 contestants excluding Alph and the Koopalings but including one bonus character.

Cosmic tier (SSS):

:4shulk:: 60 wins. Excellent strength and reflexes combine well with combat precognition. Monado Arts provide a tool for nearly every situation. Wearing a Mechon armor set all but nullifies any physical attacks that come his way. The Monado III is obscenely powerful with an extremely high critical hit rate (75% base) and can cut through and harm pretty much any being or armor. His assorted skills (native and linked) cover his weaknesses and boost his strengths. His assorted ether gems let him ignore status effects, add bonus effects to the Monado and improve his durability and healing.

:4palutena:: 60 wins. Can use all the same weapons as Pit and can use even more powers. Her divinity gives her a substantial durability advantage and her peerless knowledge gives her even better Intel than Samus. She can fly via levitation.

Overpowered tier (SS):

Metal Face: 58 wins. Awesome combat on the ground and better still in the air. His armor renders physical attacks useless and can take nasty blows from energy weapons with ease. His cannon enjoys great range and he is one of if not the most maneuverable aerial fighters on the field.

:4samus:: 56 wins. Her Power suit’s array of powerful futuristic weaponry and assorted abilities let her crush most of the cast outright. Her visor’s assorted vision modes and scanning capabilities will allow to spot invisible enemies and give her important Intel. She even has her Gunship which will let her give chase in air battles.

:4ness:: 53 wins. This bat wielding kid has a ridiculous amount of strength and durability. His PSI powers allow him to inflict great damage, inflict myriad statuses including instant KO, heal himself, put up barriers that reflect attacks as well as teleport.

:4lucas:: 52 wins. An inferior version of Ness, but he still retains most of the dangerous abilities that Ness has.

:4lucina:: 52 wins. If birthed by female Robin she will have access to everything she has plus her Lord class tree and will have a slight statistical edge over her too.

:younglinkmelee:: 51 wins. An excellent selection of equipment and magic including the Nayru’s love and Chateau Romani combo let him outlast most other combatants.

:4fox:: 51 wins. The Arwing lets him waste the roster.

:4robinm:/:4robinf:: 51 wins. An assortment of classes grants him access to a multitude of weapon types and skills for the job allowing him/her to best even Ike. He/She can also ride a variety of mounts including flyers. Some classes are restricted by gender.

:wolf:: 50 wins. Replace the Arwing with the Wolfen II for similar results.

:4mewtwo:: 49 wins. Psychic powers of this level are very difficult to fight against.

:4falco:: 49 wins. Same as fox.

:4megaman:: 49 wins. Has a durable body and excellent weapon selection. His time altering moves will decide most matches but his programmed leniency to humans might cost him a few.

:4ganondorf:: 47 wins. The immunity to most attacks and powerful combat puts him high but he is brought down by the number of god-slayers and divine/holy weapon wielders on the roster.

:snake:: 47 wins. His arsenal of modern weapons, gear and CQC techniques will aid him immensely. Few members of the cast will be able to counter his cloaking device.

:4myfriends:: 45 wins. His greater strength and his sword Ragnell put him above Marth and Roy. His skills can also cause all sorts of grief.

:4pit:: 44 wins. Weapon variety and some powers let move towards the top of the pack.

:4darkpit:: 43 wins. Nearly the same as Pit

:rosalina:: 42 wins. Her shield, army of Lumas and assorted powers put her towards the top of the pack.

:4sonic:: 41 wins. His speed is something to be feared but his cocky attitude and crap durability without rings will cost him some matches.

:4tlink:: 41 wins. A less broken version of young Link.

:4link:: 41 wins. A less broken version of young Link.

Superhuman Tier (S):

:4feroy:: 38 wins. Statistically on par with Marth who uses the Sword of Seals that improves his defense and permits exploding blows at a distance but can only be used twenty times before breaking.

:4marth:: 36 wins. Superhuman swordsman whose Falchion negates melee strikes, he lacks effective ranged attacks though. (No Sphere abuse considered)

:4peach:: 36 wins. Putting her enemies to sleep and bombing them into submission is a viable strategy against most of the cast. Power-ups don’t hurt either.

:4mario:: 35 wins. Has versatility with F.L.U.D.D. and power-ups.

:4luigi:: 34 wins. Same as Mario, replace F.L.U.D.D. with Poltergust.

:4bowser:: 33 wins. His sturdiness, strength, size and vehicles go a long way.

:4falcon:: 33 wins. Can make roadkill out of half the cast, but can’t do anything to fliers. The Blue Falcon is going to run out of gas sooner or later.

:4zss:: 32 wins. Samus is far weaker without her power suit, but she can still win with her Paralyzer and superhuman attributes.

:pt:: 30 wins. The balanced team of Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Pikachu, Lapras, and Snorlax gives him plenty of options. It is going to be hard taking on as many as six Pokemon at a time.

:4kirby:: 28 wins. His assortment of abilities, and invincibility candy are great, buy his small stature and iffy handling of the warp star near the ground cause him to lose a lot of ground.

:4sheik:: 26 wins. Deku nuts are dangerous weapons.

:4greninja:: 26 wins. High speed and good stats combined with Protean makes for a good Pokemon.

:4metaknight:: 24 wins. His skill with Galaxia and its powers compensates for his pathetic size disadvantage.

:4charizard:: 24 wins. His fire attacks, size, and flight are pretty decent strengths.

:4lucario:: 24 wins. One of the stronger Pokemon. Aura Sphere helps against speedsters.

:4pikachu:: 23 wins. His speed and electric attacks can only go so far.

:4bowserjr: : 23 wins. Inferior to his dad due to his much smaller size.

:4wario2:: 23 wins. His power-up selection is anemic compared to the Mario Bros (where is invincibility?), and strength only goes so far by itself.

:4dk:: 22 wins. His great strength has only limited use and his gadgets are inferior to the real things.

:4miigun:: 21 wins. Projectiles are important.

Peak Human Tier (A):

:4yoshi:: 18 wins. Poor power-up selection and limited ammo are only mitigated due to the danger his tongue presents to smaller, slower fighters.

:4zelda:: 17 wins. She has some skill with medieval weapons, but her rate of fire with the bow is terrible.

:4pacman:: 17 wins. He has only a few good moves and power-ups.

:4ryu:: 16 wins. His martial arts and Hadokens will let him win in close and medium range but will lose to any equally skilled weapon user.

:4diddy:: 15 wins. His limited flight won’t offset his lower strength and weaker gun compared to Donkey Kong.

:4gaw:: 13 wins. His 2D form lets him dodge most projectiles with ease, but his lack of good projectiles himself and his vulnerability to most melee strikes knocks him down a couple of pegs.

:4miisword:: 13 wins. Self explanatory.

Strong Tier (B):

:4dedede:: 11 wins. He may be able to hurt you badly with his hammer, but his short size reduces his reach.

:popo:: 11 wins. Their lack of combat experience and durability brings them down but their hammers are no joke and there are two of them to compensate.

:4littlemac:: 10 wins. Boxing only takes you so far here.

:4villager:/:4villagerf:: 9 wins. An axe and slingshot can have some effect here.

:4miibrawl:: 8 wins. Self explanatory.

Normal Tier (C):

:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:: 6 wins. Being in shape has limits in this setting.

:pichumelee:: 6 wins. Its small size and weak stats let its electrical powers down.

:4jigglypuff:: 4 wins. Requires time to put enemies to sleep and lacks a good follow up.

:4drmario:: 3 wins. Just an average doctor with no real combat power.

:4duckhunt:: 3 wins. Some fighters here are so pathetic they can be taken out by a mere dog.

Pathetic Tier (D):

:4olimar:: 1 win. Him and his Pikmin’s lack of size is a fatal weakness.

Just Why? Tier (F):

:4rob:: 0 wins. Being an inanimate object makes him a punching bag for everyone else.

Metal Face Capabilities

Ground Offense:

Strength feats:

Picks up and tosses an air transport craft with ease (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=355 at 5:55-6:19).
Picks up and tosses a Mobile Artillery unit with ease (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1251 at 20:51-21:02 and 21:25-21:38).

Claw Power:

His claws can be electrically charged to paralyze his victims for a decent chunk of time (about 140 seconds) (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1156 at 19:16-19:30, Shulk gets paralyzed at 19:29 and recovers fully from it at 21:48).
His claws can penetrate stone floors (https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1388 at 23:08-23:19)
His claws can also be infused with a green fluid that can decompose all life on Bionis (https://youtu.be/TklN4NyeGTA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=723 at 12:03-13:15).
His claws are just as sturdy as the rest of his armor and can be used to block and parry.

Cannon Power:

Blows off one of the Mobile Artillery’s weapon pods (sphere version) (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1206 at 20:06-20:13).
Damages one of the spires on the roof of Galahad Fortress (https://youtu.be/TklN4NyeGTA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1032 at 17:12-17:17).
It takes a while to charge and can be interrupted (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1224 at 20:24-20:27, https://youtu.be/0jgp5KelTdE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=999 at 16:39-16:57, https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1407 at 23:27-23:33, and finally at https://youtu.be/TklN4NyeGTA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1025 at 17:05-17:16).
During gameplay, he uses it by flying into the air out of reach and fires a beam at the ground with enough force that it effects a wide area around the impact and severely injures anyone in the blast radius as well as throwing them backwards thought the air and dazing them (https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1690 at 28:10-28:32).

Air Offense:

Claw Power:

Destroys one of Colony 9’s anti-air batteries by slicing it from the tip of the barrel to it’s base ( https://youtu.be/GfGG-oLBpCc?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1020 at 17:00-17:07).
Casually slices through numerous High Entia defense drones (https://youtu.be/DIq0LZ-n3vw?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1265 at 21:05-21:30).

Cannon Power:

Destroys another one of Colony 9’s anti-air batteries (Sphere version) (https://youtu.be/GfGG-oLBpCc?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=945 at 15:45-15:55).
Blasts his way through High Entia aircraft while sustaining no casualties to his forces off screen (https://youtu.be/B38oGvjifug?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=265 at 4:25-4:36).
Slaughters a wide swath of Prison Island Skyrays (Beam version) (https://youtu.be/E6J71JZ28r4?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=165 at 2:45-3:03).
Is able to incapacitate a stationary Meyneth!Fiora and Face Nemesis with a surprise shot from long range (Sphere Version) (https://youtu.be/wq5FtW9kgAE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1207 at 20:07-20:23).

Defense:

Armor:

The first battle with Metal Face which gives a good indicator of the effectiveness of Mechon armor against physical attacks (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1064 at 17:45-18:50).
The second half of the first encounter gives you an idea on how to damage him but not many will be able to take advantage of it (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1317 at 21:57-22:40).
Takes no damage whatsoever from a Colony 9 Anti-air gun (https://youtu.be/GfGG-oLBpCc?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=974 at 16:14-16:39 (compare the easily destroyed standard Mechon with Metal Face)).
Takes no damage from Colonel Vangarre’s gun at point blank range (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=323 at 5:39-5:50).
A long range shot from the main cannon of the Mobile Artillery to the backside of Metal Face is able to knock him to his knees but does no lasting damage (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1171 at 19:31-19:37).
Takes no damage from the smaller weapons of the Mobile Artillery (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1203 at 20:03-20:23).
Only a small part of his anti-Monado armor on the left side of his face is damaged after Fiora jams the Mobile Artillery’s cannon barrel into his face and fires (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1222 at 20:22-20:51).
His armor can be melted, but doing so will be difficult (https://youtu.be/0jgp5KelTdE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1033 at 17:17-17:30 and 18:09-18:12, https://youtu.be/POpcxsfkG7c?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=2095 at 34:55-35:08 Vanea herself who is responsible for assembling faces is surprised by the damage that Metal Face sustained).
He recovers quickly from being electrocuted by the Prison Island defense system (https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1413 at 23:33-24:18).
He can continue to resist even when his cannon and both arms have been severed (https://youtu.be/TklN4NyeGTA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1179 at 19:39-20:10).
Jade Face claims Mechon Face armor is made of steel (https://youtu.be/N-Q6oeHKVlU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1227 at 20:27-20:45), although there must be some other factor involved that gives it it‘s durability.

Agility/Reflexes:

He can rapidly shift between his ground and flight modes (https://youtu.be/GfGG-oLBpCc?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=999 at 16:39-16:46 and https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1412 at 23:31-23:35).
He has avoided two anti-air gun rounds by evading laterally and after they have been fired (https://youtu.be/GfGG-oLBpCc?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1013 at 16:53-17:00).
Dodges a powerful ray from Alvis’s Telethia twice (https://youtu.be/0jgp5KelTdE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1015 at 16:55-17:13).
His best evasion feat would be how he avoided multiple rays from the Prison Island defense system (https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1027 at 17:07-17:30).
His best attack speed feat would be when he brushed Reyn and Dunban aside and impaled Emperor Sorean (https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1451 at 24:11-24:34).

Other Abilities:

He has some sort of alternate vision mode https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1056 at 17:36-17:47
He managed to hit Zanza through a shield with one of those life dissolving spears https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1232 at 20:32-20:50

Personality:

Metal Face can be a real troll and enjoys playing with his prey and taunting them. Examples include:

Against Vangarre: (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=323 at 5:23-6:25)
Against Shulk & Co. at Colony 9: (https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1129 at 18:49-18:53 (Metal Face is wagging his finger at the impotent Monado Boy)
Against Fiora at Colony 9: https://youtu.be/tmMj_A_GLcU?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1251 at 20:51-21:45
Against Shulk at Colony 6: https://youtu.be/0jgp5KelTdE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=682 at 11:22-11:53
Against Dunban and Dickson at Colony 6: https://youtu.be/0jgp5KelTdE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=955 at 15:55-16:35
Against his own comrade Face Nemesis: https://youtu.be/B38oGvjifug?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=247 at 4:07-4:22
Against Emperor Sorean (would make an excellent KO taunt against six Smash Bros characters): https://youtu.be/H-5rhe7ekhA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1484 at 24:44-24:55
Against Shulk and Dunban at Valak Mountain: https://youtu.be/wq5FtW9kgAE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1315 at 21:55-22:38
Against the party at Sword Valley: https://youtu.be/TklN4NyeGTA?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=652 at 10:52-12:03

This should give you a better idea of how he will fight and in the worst case scenario will make wrecking him on Gaur Plains in Smash more satisfying.

Spoilers:

Metal Face has a pilot in his chest area who is just as resilient as the other Mechon and wields dual beam claws and is capable of fire based attacks (https://youtu.be/wq5FtW9kgAE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1266 at 21:06-21:31).
He can control his Face by remote control (https://youtu.be/wq5FtW9kgAE?list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP&t=1333 at 22:13-22:30 and at 24:58-26:09).

Metal Face Trolls his way into battle!

“I’m better than all of you!”

:4mario:: “This party’s over!” Gets skewered.

:4luigi:: Gets skewered.

:4peach:: Gets skewered.

:4bowser:: Gets skewered.

:4bowserjr:: Gets skewered.

:rosalina:: Gets skewered or blasted.

:4drmario:: Gets skewered.

:4yoshi:: Gets skewered.

:4wario2:: Gets skewered.

:4link:: “Tell me. How does it feel to be such a pathetic hero?” Gets skewered eventually.

:younglinkmelee:: “Just die!” Gets skewered three days later.

:4tlink:: Gets skewered eventually.

:4ganondorf:: loses a war of attrition, but Ganondorf will need a lot of painkillers.

:4zelda:: Gets skewered.

:4sheik:: Gets skewered.

:4samus:: Gets skewered or blasted eventually. “Did you really expect to beat me?!”

:4zss:: Gets skewered.

:4kirby:: Gets skewered.

:4dedede:: Gets skewered.

:4metaknight:: “This fly infestation is beginning to bug me!” Gets skewered.

:4marth:: Gets blasted.

:4feroy:: Gets skewered.

:4myfriends:: Gets skewered.

:4lucina:: Gets skewered.

:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Gets skewered.

:4dk:: Gets skewered.

:4diddy:: Gets skewered.

:4fox:: Gets skewered or blasted.

:4falco:: Gets skewered or blasted.

:wolf:: Gets skewered or blasted.

:4ness:: Gets skewered.

:4lucas:: Gets skewered.

:pt:: Gets skewered X7.

:4charizard:: Gets skewered.

:4pikachu:: Gets skewered.

:4jigglypuff:: Gets skewered.

:4mewtwo:: Gets skewered or blasted.

:pichumelee:: Gets skewered. “Weak! Weak and pathetic!”

:4lucario:: Gets skewered.

:4greninja:: Gets skewered.

:4pit:: Gets skewered. “Looks like he’s had his wings clipped!”

:4darkpit:: Gets skewered.

:4palutena:: Gets crippled by a combo of the power of weak point exposure and assorted powers knocking out his cannon and flight device. Gets done in by attrition. “No! No! Not like this!”

:4falcon:: Gets skewered.

:popo:: Gets skewered X2. Weak! They’re all so weak!

:4gaw:: Gets blasted.

:4olimar:: “What’s that? The poor insects are a little confused?” Gets blasted X101.

:4rob:: Gets skewered.

:4littlemac:: Gets skewered.

:4duckhunt:: Gets skewered X2.

:4villager:/:4villagerf:: Gets skewered.

:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:: Gets skewered.

:4shulk:: Gets owned badly. “Too much… The Monado is too much!”

:4pacman:: Gets skewered.

:4megaman:: “Let’s settle this, machine to machine!” Gets skewered.

:snake:: Gets skewered. “That it, Grandpa?!”

:4sonic:: Gets skewered. “Too slow! You’ll never stop me now!”

:4ryu:: Gets skewered.

:4miibrawl:: Gets skewered.

:4miisword:: Gets skewered.

:4miigun:: Gets skewered.

Metal Face: Can I get my Face icon now, hahaha?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Don’t bring up this extrapolating nonsense,
Then don't extrapolate.
Miracle activates more than half the time which is enough and Counter scales with the force of the enemy’s attack. Walls give way, Counter doesn’t.
You have yet to prove that Counter will never fail.
It’s not effective because it puts them in danger. Melee range is typically the most dangerous range to be in.
Unless you move at such high speeds that it's practically impossible for the opponent to land a counter attack.
Your wrong, knock it off.
Whoops, realized I left off a bit of that sentence. Add "help him avoid the Blue Falcon" to the end of that. :p
It probably locks on to heat signatures, like modern combat aircraft.
Does Shulk not have a heat signature?
It can reach out further than you think.
IIRC, the combatants start a bit further away than that.
He doesn’t have that power, Mr. extrapolation!
He performs it in... I think Twilight Princess someone said?
Time stops when Shulk has visions, otherwise they would be useless in combat.
Or he just processes them that quickly.
Mega Man won’t waste Time Stop on a human because he isn’t supposed to kill them. Look at how many times he shows Dr. Wily mercy.
Oh really?
The goal isn’t to kill the opponent, the goal is to defeat the opponent by incapacitation.
Which would be accomplished by killing them.
Mega Man isn’t that fast.
Point is, the "edge of the screen" deal is proved as a game mechanic when Mega Man follows the projectile, preventing it from despawning.
Link please?
Sadly, as I didn't originally find this, I don't know of a video that documents it. :/
So it is still up in the air.
What is? (It would be helpful if you put your responses inside the quotes by ending them, posting your reply, and then continuing them, to avoid confusion and all.)
He won’t, he will shield them instead.
Prove that it can withstand that amount of force.
https://youtu.be/VjxDkW5_EhI?t=129 vision at 2:09-2:21, connects at 2:43-2:47. In the video Shulk’s max Hp is 6093, while the laser hits for 2381. If Shulk were at full HP he would be able to survive two of the lasers back to back, three if he threw out a light heal after the first laser connects.
Prove the attack's force.
The Monado itself is unbreakable so it should have no trouble blocking Mega Man’s shots.
What has it withstood?
You are a lost cause.
I saw speculation based on the size of the blade, not proof based on actual calculations.
I don’t care what it is called, it is no more of a god than King Kong is.
Okay, let me know when King Kong absorbs the negative energies of the second most powerful power source in his respective universe (and resided in the most powerful power source for many years).
We are talking about how Shulk can ignore Super Sonic’s invincibility and kill him in one hit.
Ah. So prove that the Monado's attacks exceed those of deities in power, and specify how much so.
I don’t see any Darknuts in Zelda parrying the sword of a several story tall robot. You can’t use standard enemies from Zelda as a benchmark.
Defense is irrelevant to offense.
Player characters are typically way stronger than their enemies by at least an order of magnitude if not more.
I fail to see how Link is stronger than Ganon.
Every single time he dodges an attack.
Which attacks?
No. I have to read and respond to your rebuttal, it’s only fair you do so in kind.
The part of your post that you're referring to wasn't directed at me. Show me what I need to see, and I'll read/watch it.
By implying Mega form invincibility has no upper threshold.
When?
Look up Metal Face’s durability, scale up to account for the fact that Yaldabaoth is around 2-3 times taller than him.
Show me what I need to see, and I will read/watch it.

Also, size doesn't directly to correlate to durability.
Your example is hilariously bad, Shulk isn’t restrained at all like in your example.
He's "restrained" by being too slow to dodge the attack.
You also forgetting the part of his visions which will tell him when to dodge.
I could be told to run faster than a car to avoid it, but I won't be physically able to.
Yes, they rely on the talent gauge.
Does it not run out?
Gameplay mechanic (one attack or series of attack) vs Cutscene (lasts for quite a while in the Arachno Queen scene). Which one do you think I’m going to use? Hell, which one would you use?
I'll use the one that happens more than once. It's not a gameplay mechanic; it's Monado Shield.
None of the games here allow that, except the newer Mario games.
Point?
I suspect that this reply is out of place.
No, I think I replied to the right thing.
10 yards translates to 9.14 meters. The M in the distance chart must mean Meters which puts the opponent in range for Monado Buster, Purge, Eater and Cyclone. That is going to be painful for the opponent.
Ah. How much force does this output?
Because it came into existence with the new universe.
Except, this is before the new universe was created, no?
I guess Godhood scared him away, not to mention all the bull**** Zanza put everyone through.
Well, it's just that - a guess. I'd like proof.
Let’s take a vote, how many people would like to have a fully functional Monado? I would abuse godhood so hard I would wind up trolling entire countries and create my own personal harem of loyal Superwomen.
I'm all for a fully functioning Monado, giving it the ability to use arts, manipulate ether, etc. However, there is no ether here for it to manipulate, and no Alvis to help Shulk reshape the universe.
Since when do swords possess strength?
Since they became magical.
As strong as Shulk is he still has some difficulty holding back Dunban from executing one of their enemies, and Dunban is wielding a normal sword with his one good arm.
So, this would count against Shulk then?
Seriously?
Yes.
That would defeat the whole purpose of this thread.
Why is that?
He is at minimum on par with the Master Emerald and arguably much higher.
And how does that mean that he shares the specific ability to disable seven specific gems?
How else would he kill him?
I dunno, with a sword? Infused with godly power?
Until he pulled out the Monado III he was only annoying Zanza, and Zanza acted as if he was in no danger at all.
Prove that Monado III = omnipotence.
That blow could be blocked by Monado Shield, and the Power Bomb and Smart Bomb could be blocked by Monado Shield. The Robot hitting the other “Robot” would produce far more force than either of the bombs, and destroying a room has nothing on that.
Prove the swing's force.
You can still tell if she is rushing forward to smack you or bracing to fire a powerful shot.
You can tell that she's doing something that involves moving her leg. That's rather vague, isn't it?
It’s the Wii U, expect disappointing sale figures.
:/
This is in response to Dryn saying that Shulk can’t envision himself.
Ah. I think he could.
So? I don’t see you railing against the lunacy of slow moving anti-grav cannonballs in Mario games.
Because I accept those as slow-moving objects. They move slowly, and don't share the same properties as high-speed cannonballs in real life as a result. The same thing applies to ether and other universes' building blocks.
I’m not a physics major.
Well, I'm afraid that you lack proof.
  1. Other universes were not destroyed by Zanza’s experiment.
  2. Earth existed in the old universe, that is all I need.
  1. And?
  2. Prove that it possessed ether, and that it's identical to other universes.
Sonic doesn’t have different priority moves
Priority essentially means the speed of an attack, from what I can gather.
and you shouldn’t be using made up figures.
I'm using an example that someone provided.
I’m going to give Mewtwo the win against Sonic because of Trick Room countering him into oblivion.
I'm giving Sonic the win because Sonic is simply too fast for Trick Room to activate (and Trick Room is too slow to activate against many moves), and even if it did, there's no evidence that it would work well against Sonic.
Doesn’t matter. When Sonic gets ensnared in Trick Room he will never get out of it alive. He might even die of suffocation because his lungs and heart are slowed down too.
If his internal organs are frozen, so are the parts of his body that need blood and oxygen.
Nice space link Munoboy.
Pretty insane eh?
@Dryn, @Nerdicon, @ Munomario777 Munomario777 , DjinnandTonic, @ monzer monzer Should we ban using video game lasers or lighting for the purposes of reaction feats?
We already have a rule that says that objects move at the speeds shown unless otherwise specified (so lasers don't necessarily move at the speed IRL lasers do).
:4sonic:: Gets skewered. “Too slow! You’ll never stop me now!”
lolwut

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure that feat wasn’t an outlier or done for comedic affect?
Done for comedic effect, yes, but that doesn't change that fact that he did it. It being an outlier, no, many of the villains in Kirby are reality warpers or have control of the universe, and Kirby and the other characters can still do significant damage to them.

The full force of his own attack. Lucina and Male Robin use the FE13 version of Counter which returns full damage. Ike is the user of the half strength Counter.
Wait, counter works like like that in awakening. Excuse me while I go second seal Vaike and Robin to warrior.

My tier list 4.0 I think?

SS-tier
:4shulk:
Shulk with ether can just will any character out of existence and is really feeling it. There's no contest.

S-tier
:4kirby:
Travels faster than light on a warp star, throws things around the sun, can become a (weaker than normal)black hole and can deal significant damage to beings that have control over the universe.
:4metaknight:
Tornado does insane damage and stops time at is moves, everything else is the same as Kirby
:4pit:
Travels extremely fast, can kill gods, and has a very durable mechsuit.
:4mewtwo:
Is stronger than gods, and can use trick room, power split, and guard split to turn the battle in his favor if he can survive that long.
:4darkpit:
Same as pit except he doesn't have a mechsuit.
:4dedede:
Same as Kirby and Meta Knight except he doesn't have hyper nova or a time stopping tornado.
:4palutena:
Has at least the same amount of power as Pit and Dark Pit, except she isn't as fast.
:4sonic:
Can go super duper Sanic fast and can fasltly fast up to fast fast levels of fastness.
:4ganondorf:
Any one who can damage him can easily kill him, anyone who can't would lose to him.

A-tier
:4lucina:
Counter and miracle combined can kill Sanic.
:4robinm::4robinf:
Counter and miracle combined can kill Sanic.
:4samus:
Has a huge arsenal and is very durable.
:4ness:
Has immense physic power.
:4lucas:
Same as Ness.
:4myfriends:
Has power close to gods, and is very well rounded, with many useful skills.
:4marth:
Same as Ike.
:4feroy:
Same as Marth
:4bowser:
Can just step on the majority of characters and kill them.
:4bowserjr:
if he gets all the things he has in the super Mario galaxy, the other fighter will have to kill Megalegs, That hammer robot, his airship, and him in his clown car.
:4lucario:
Has power close to a god and deals double damage on fighting and steel attacks.
:4charizard:
Has power close to a god, and when he mega evolves it makes it become sunny, allowing him to deal 50% more damage with his fire attacks.
:4greninja:
Has close power to gods, and can change his type to match his enemy and become stronger than them.
:4zss:
Like Samus but less durable.
:4pikachu:
Does double damage with a light ball and has power close to the Pokemon gods.
:rosalina:
Can create black holes and planets at will with lumas, but she is only as durable as Mario.

B-tier
:4dk:
Technically knocked the moon out of orbit, but he was falling so he had a lot of downward momentum. He is still incredibly
strong though.
:4jigglypuff:
Apparently has about 1/3 of the strength of a Pokemon god.
:4fox:
Has access to several powerful vehicles.
:4falco:
Same as Fox
:4diddy:
Agile, well rounded, and hoo hah powers
:4tlink:
Fierce deity mask.
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:
Have a very limited arsenal, but are definitely strong.
:4yoshi:
Fast, has good distance attacks, and even has some powerups.
:4wario::4wario2:
Same as Mario but he has a bike.
:4drmario:
Normal Mario, but with Doctor skills as well.
:4luigi:
Has all the powers that Mario has, except he can jump higher.
:4mario:
has access to around 50 different power ups.
:4link:
Has a strong arsenal of equipment and also wields the master sword.
:4megaman:
I haven't ever played a Mega Man game, but from what I know he has a huge arsenal.
:4sheik:
Agile, strong, but lacks an arsenal.
:4zelda:
Has magic powers and a surprisingly strong bow, but lacks a diverse arsenal.
:4peach:
Similar stats as Mario, but doesn't have as many powerups.

C-tier
:4falcon:
Is fast, strong , and can perform a falcon punch.
:4ryu:
I don't know much about street fighter, but Ryu can create energy attacks and is very strong for a human.

D-tier
:4pacman:
Doesn't have a big arsenal, but has some strength.
:4duckhunt:
A dog, a bird, and a guy with a gun, that's really it.

F-tier
:4littlemac:
A boxer.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Yoga instructors.
:4gaw:
A normal human being
:4mii::4miif::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
Normal people
:4villager::4villagerf:
Little children.

FF-tier
:4olimar::4alph:
To small to do anything.

FFF-tier
:4rob:
Isn't alive.

FFFF-tier
:substitute:
Also isn't alive, but at least rob can move.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You are calculating reaction times with video game lasers. You never calculate reaction times with video game lightning or lasers. You should be wary of using video game black holes as well.
Any reason I shouldn't?

The Monado messes with space-time too, especially the time part.
In a world pervaded with ether.

So your saying it will only work in universes with ghosts like the Mario and Fire Emblem universe? Your being silly.
No. I'm not sure how ether would work against others. The properties aren't clearly stated.

Would that amount of force be needed to punch through a person with mandibles like that?
Probably not. I actually erred in my last calculation. I didn't consider all four mandibles. So it'd be much higher. Again, this is under the assumption that these mandibles have the same density as steel, which I have no reason to think is the case, unless it was a Mechon.

That explosion looks anemic compared to even a weak nuke.
It can wipe out a small city. Again, that's only half a kiloton. Samus' power bomb produces 3.01 kilotons.

Jade Face describes his body being made of steel, even if normal steel isn’t anywhere near as durable. I don’t see Shulk beating Samus without Sodo’s interpretation due to Samus’s extensive arsenal and very high damage resistance. I’m going with the notion that Shulk can render Power Bombs and lasers useless with Monado Shield but Samus can just keep up the pressure indefinitely with all her other weapons.
I know. I'm not even contesting that. I don't know of anyone on the roster who would be able to withstand the amount of temperature the Monado could generate. It'll likely defeat unshielded opponents.

When I used the term “space locusts” I was classifying them based on their behavior, in that they will wipe out all human life if they aren‘t stopped which is difficult thanks to near limitless numbers. Before Monolith Soft. created the Mechon and their near-impervious armor and the Telethia and their mind reading capabilities, they created the Gnosis which could wipe out most mid tier sci-fi universes. These vs threads should give you an idea of their power (https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/precursors-flood-halo-vs-gnosis-xenosaga.325139/, https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/gnosis-vs-sci-fi.157173/, and https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/gnosis-xenosaga-vs-forerunners-halo.261638/). Even Samus would be at a loss as to how to fight these beings (assuming she doesn’t just find a new weapon or ability lying around).
This wouldn't be outside of what Samus normally deals with. According to the Metroid: Zero Mission manual, p. 7, "If the Space Pirates were able to breed the Metroids and use the creatures as biological weapons, the destruction of all galactic civilization would be near certain." The Metroid II: Return of Samus manual, p. 5, states, "Even one living Metroid could easily wipe out an entire planetary civilization."

You would receive all sorts of flak if you tried to use that reasoning in a vs thread involving Star Wars.
I'm sure I would. Even if we agreed that midi-chlorians were in the battlefield, it wouldn't mean the opponent would be made of midi-chlorians or even have those for the force to even work on him/her.

That thing is making me dizzy (funny how it blasts orbs at you and attacks you via stamping the ground (those rings of fire are actually visualizations of shockwaves for Samus right?)). I never thought that battle would end. I’m sure Samus could beat both of those spider tanks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpiderTank), but I seriously doubt that there are all that many in the cast that can best those foes!
I suspect that's what those things are supposed to be. In Metroid Prime, Samus dealt with space pirates who can generate shock waves, which Samus can jump over. In hyper-mode difficulty, Quadraxis is a pain in the butt. Destroying the legs with the lightblast (light beam when charged) really helps, though. This is because Quadraxis was possessed by the Ing, so Quadraxis ended up having the vulnerability of light energy.

Yes, you could say ether was magic in Xenoblade. Ether in the other Xeno games was a substitute for magic and served as a catch-all term for special abilities like Chi, Nanomachines, and drawing power from a higher dimension via Zohar.
If that's the case, then it's possible that Link and Zelda can be defeated by Shulk. Both are Hylians. "With their magic infused blood, the Hylian people were endowed with psychic powers and skill in wizardry." (ALttP manual, p. 4) Since the property of ether is both material and immaterial, considering that the Monado is supposed to be divine itself, it should be able to affect Link and Zelda, since the goddesses would have had to endowed the Hylians with magic-infused blood. Whether or not that's true for Gerudos, I can't say.

I think we should because it's things like this will occur throughout fictional universes. It won't be so much of a question of whether or not lasers or lightning actually travel at the proper speed in game play as it will be a question of whether or not it's an outlier.

Top Bottom