• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who wrecks fox?

Even if Fox's stuff is easier to execute that seems to imply to me that Marth has to rely upon fox to mess up in the first place. Which I expect to not be the case and pretty poor gameplan.

I would not think that larger stages might necessarily be a problem except those with higher platforms. Plus, Marth can still always throw said furry into tech chase and take CG if opponent puts themselves in an area to be CG'd properly. Otherwise, there is more work at directing a fox away from center stage towards the sides with something that is not Utilt/Uair.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
all of fox's stuff is much easier
larger stages ruins marths autokills on fox
ban system makes it easy to eliminate stages with marth's CGs

thats basically all it takes. theres more than that but i'm lazy
Eh, Fox's stuff is much easier but so's Marth's grab shenanigans and pivots :)

I get what you're saying though. Since I only use Marth for when people counterpick me to good Marth stages (like YI) I guess the stage thing doesn't apply.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Honestly the metagame hasn't developed enough to the extent to claim Fox has any significantly disadvantageous matchups, aside from arguably M2. I feel like PM was made with the mindset of buffing every character up to be on par with spacies. For instance, look at Link. Before he was literally impossible to play against spacies, but now he's got a fighting chance. He got significant speed and power buffs in his melee and projectile game. He can now outcamp fox, neutralize his approaches with jab, and still wreck him with d-throw -> up B. However, Fox can still waveshine Link to death. A lot of new, heavier characters have great combo game, but are still combo food themselves (i.e. Snake, Ike, Charizard). Floaties can wreck Fox as easily as Fox can upsmash them. Being that it is much harder to edgegaurd in PM due to everyone's buffed recoveries, it basically comes down to how well you play in neutral, how familiar you are with your character, how well your react to pressure, and how well you can read your opponent. While this game still is unbalanced, I feel it is almost silly to get so scientific about counter-picks and counter-characters, but then again look how far M2K has come with that mindset. He figured out that M2 is a great spacie counter (being able to get out of combos via WHOOP and whipping his tail around for 100% and then Shadow Claw). Yet if Mango decided to invest in PM he'd figure out how to read M2's teleports, how to DI the combos, and figure out where to get the up-air/up-smash.

J3f

Smash Cadet
Fox still rules the Neutral game. Even if you can get a 0 to death combo, it's reliant on you getting in a confirmed follow up to your opener.

Dominate the Neutral game and you can control the flow of the match. I don't believe any other character has the neutral game advantage against all their match-ups like fox does.

Fox really should lose some neutral games, Pit comes close with projectile camping and decent speed with disjointed hit boxes.

Fox's throw to up air is too free, it's an over the top KO at low percents that comes out with any touch or shield pressure. Link has a similar kill combo with his down throw to down air, but his grab is really risky. It probably needs to be nerfed to PAL levels considering it's the way of guaranteeing a kill regardless of stage or character.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Fox will never be played optimally, so while saying that he rules the neutral game is technically true, against actual players, you'll be able to find/ take advantage of/ capitalize on habits, or holes in gameplay. Even the best players have habits.

xSTx

Smash Cadet
Any character that can stop his momentum or force him to think twice.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Sonic has an even or slight advantage against Fox in neutral and offstage. If McCloud isn't careful with aerials and lasers Sonic's speed can easily punish him and give him that Wizzy combo. Then again even if Sonic's rolling around at the speed of sound, he ain't rolling at the speed of the shine. Particularly one cc'd on the spin dash. They both just pretty much destroy each other.

xSTx

Smash Cadet
In Project M 3.02 Fox isn't the top tier, Pit is without a doubt.

He has at least one took every top tier in Melee carried. Chain Grabs, gimp, projectile, great dash dance, he's impossible to gimp if the Pit player is smart. JUST for this matchup, outside of this he has combos on floaties like Jigglypuff.

He isn't overpowered, or needs to be nerfed but he has EVERY tool we are scared of.

Edit : We can up throw up air at 70%, that's our best in our bag of tricks for Pit.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
If Fox has a disadvantage, it is 55-45 at worst. I feel like Pit, Marth, and Mewtwo are the hardest characters for fox to take down.

Top Bottom