• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you Want to Main, but can't due to the Moveset?

DaVe^

Smash Rookie
I'm just very curious on what people would have to say on this topic. In my opinion I'm putting down Diddy Kong. Sure, he has an OUTSTANDING recovery system…. But something about his moves set me off.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
Sonic. Love the character but just doesn't feel good to me to play. Just not comfortable with him at all. I don't know why. Fast, short ranged characters just aren't my preferred playstyle.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Greninja. X and Y where my favorite Pokémon games up to this point. Unfortunately, I just can't seem to find myself being comfortable playing the character.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Bowser Jr. Wanted him in since Brawl, and while I love the uniqueness, something about the clown car moveset just doesn't sit well with me

DaVe^

Smash Rookie
Bowser Jr. Wanted him in since Brawl, and while I love the uniqueness, something about the clown car moveset just doesn't sit well with me
I 100% understand what you're saying there. I try using Bowser Jr. but the moves are just cheap and are confusing to handle.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I always wanted to main WiiFit Trainer but dam......that move set it awful and don't even start me on her grabs...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I felt this way about Palutena at first.

Then I trained every day 'til I got used to her. I had to earn the right to play as her. When the Goddess of Light extended her hand and let me join her hallowed ranks, I knew I had become a hero.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Rosalina. She's a powerful character and love her to death, but I can't get behind her lack of CQC and using Luma as a body shield.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:4luigi: I don't have the mashing ability to do Jumpless Cyclone. Technically he's still playable without it, but I just see all the opportunities I could be using Cyclone in a match if I could press B faster and it eats at me.

:4drmario: Good recoveries and offstage game are two of my most favored aspects of characters; Doc has some decent edgeguarding options, but his recovery is Mac tier. Not technically moveset related but he's a bit slower than I'd like as well.

:4dedede: Ironically he's actually my most-played character, but I dropped him over his lack of answers to being camped. I don't traditionally do heavyweights though, so I'm not entirely sure I'd go back to him even if Gordos were replaced by his Brawl Waddle Dees.

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Bowser Jr. seemed awesome at first, but I was disappointed when I discovered he needed a vehicle to get around in. His gimmicky moves were a huge turnoff. Since when did his clown car ever have these abilities to shoot cannonballs or even explode and somehow re-spawn? And this isn't a huge factor, but his Smash Ball move is lame. I really thought they would have incorporated Shadow Mario into it somehow, instead of painting a 2-dimensional X across the screen.

I try to get the hang of Rosalina, but I can't with Luma on top of it. To me, her attacks are slow and Luma isn't always reliable. She's a really difficult character to get the hang of, but she has a lot of potential. I'm just not interested in her enough to practice with her and master controlling two different people simultaneously.

Lastly, Pac-Man. I liked him at first but he ended up not being as good as I thought. His attacks are pretty predictable (and kid of boring). I also dislike his ability to change through an arsenal of fruits in battle, because in Pac-Man, they heal you, not hurt you. But finally... aren't the ghosts his enemies? In his smash-attacks he is literally using the ghosts as a weapon. I thought if he touched them he died, but maybe that's just me.

I had my mind set on playing as the Wii Fit Trainer up until the game launched. She just can't be utilized the way I like to play Smash, and I didn't want to learn the nuances to use her effectively.

To clarify, her short hop aerials barely ever hit anyone, her running up-smash is awkward and again fails to hit certain characters, and her Deep Breathing niche is not really that useful. Even a full-blast Sun Salutation is easily dodged, absorbed or reflected. It just led to a clumsy and frustrating experience for me. I could learn to deal with those things, but why bother when characters like Mario, Ike and Little Mac offer immediate gratification?

If there was one thing I really liked about WFT, though, it was her side special. The medicine ball is good for hitting foes who are off-stage; I had some hilarious KOs that way.

Last edited:

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I've been hearing a TON about Wii Fit trainer. I was never excited about her / him.... And never will be honestly.
She has never really been too exciting for me... when they first announced her, I was thinking, "oh no, 3 newcomers into this thing and I already want one of them out of the game."

Her attacks are short-ranged, her recovery is 'eh', and her Deep Breathing is pretty useless. Sure, Medicine Ball may sometimes be effective, but that's the only good thing I can say about her... and where did they even get the idea for her neutral-special anyway?

And she still thinks it's a clever idea to spit out fitness tips in the middle of a battle? Definitely realistic.

Last edited:

Labyrinthian3D

Smash Rookie
I would love to main the young gawd:4palutena:, but her moves are a little too slow for me. I feel she only really benefits from being able to switch up her moveset with her custom moves.

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I would love to main the young gawd:4palutena:, but her moves are a little too slow for me. I feel she only really benefits from being able to switch up her moveset with her custom moves.
Her custom moves make her much more diverse and give her more opportunities to set up combos and rack up damage on opponents, but I haven't found her original moves too much of a bother. In custom move tournaments, Palutena will really shine.

DaVe^

Smash Rookie
Her custom moves make her much more diverse and give her more opportunities to set up combos and rack up damage on opponents, but I haven't found her original moves too much of a bother. In custom move tournaments, Palutena will really shine.
True. You have to be very patient with Palutena, especially if you're playing for Glory.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
I'd also have to agree with Wii Fit Trainer. Wanted her to be one of my mains but her moveset just feels horrible to me.

Last edited:

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
If Wario actually played like Wario should/resembled him in anyway, I would never play as anyone else. But Sakurai decided to turn him into stupid bull****: the character. Ugh.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
I always wanted to main WiiFit Trainer but dam......that move set it awful and don't even start me on her grabs...
Same, every time I run into one in FG (which is almost never) I really get inspired to play as her. Then when I go and try to, everything just explodes.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I would love to use :4zelda: since she's my 3rd favorite of the three wielders of the Triforce (:4link::4ganondorf: being first and second respectively) but her moveset just feels underwhelming ever since Melee...

D

Deleted member 269706

Fox feels like he's just slipping all over the place when I use him. I'm so used to the slower characters that Fox is almost impossible to transition to!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Pac Man. Though he has some hilarious movesets, something about them just didn't feel right to me.

Sir Spacebar

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spersburr
3DS FC
2423-4079-8114
I've always wanted to try out :4palutena: since she has a diverse moveset and you can customize her to your liking, but outside of her specials, her smash attacks and tilts feel too sluggish to me and I can hardly rack up some damage without just spamming autoreticle. Plus, I hate the fact that you HAVE to use her default moveset when playing online.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Here we go:
:4bowser: Too slow, too Ridley, too laggy.
:4falcon: Too fast, can't get the hang of combos and kill moves.
:4fox: Laggy aerials and nyeh specials.
:4ganondorf: TOO SLOW! Nothing to do with the P:M Ganon I used to play.
:4lucina: CAN'T KILL. Always lost and aerials are all laggy.
:4jigglypuff: Too light, Rest is a pain.
:4sheik: Same probs that I had with Captain and Lucina.
:rosalina: Can't get the hang of Luma.
:4zss: Dunno how to kill/combo.

I can play them fine casually, because if I use :4ness: I'll brutally murder them, but in serious:4ness: I don't get the hang of characters I wanted to play. And I don't want a pocket :4diddy: he is brain dead and cheap.

Last edited:

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
:4pit: I mained him in Brawl, but he's so different in Smash 4
:4metaknight: One of my favorite characters from Brawl (I wasn't competitive I just liked the Kirby series) but he feels completely different

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
captain falcon. while he IS my main in 64, trying to pick him up in sm4sh was really weird, and his dash grab always throws me off.

Meowjesty

Smash Rookie
I really wanted to main :4lucina:, but then he just was a worse Marth.
My poor waifu... basically my feelings too. ):

On the other hand, whenever I try to play Greninja I can't really get into him even though he's one of my favorite Pokemon starters out of the series and I also can't pick up Charizard even though he's one of my favorite Pokemon in the game. I feel both their play-styles are really boring and Charizard especially feels kind of bland IMO.

Toaster

Smash Rookie
:4olimar: I've seen people crush with this character and I always want to try him out but when I do, I can't do anything and he's a little slow for my tastes.
:4samus: Oh Samus. Samus is the character that I first started playing with when I first played Melee and the character I played casually with in Brawl. Now that I'm trying to play competitively in sm4sh, Samus just doesn't cut it. Still kinda fun casually though!

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Although I wouldn't main anyone over Zelda, I was really excited to play as Palutena and Rosalina when they were annouced and can't seem to get the hang of either.
:4palutena:: tilts are the laggiest in the game. As someone that's used to playing characters like Zelda and Samus, I know the importance of tilts and am habituated to fast, combo-starter tilts. Palutena doesn't agree with me so we're not really friends anymore. Her specials are underwhelming (even a lot of her customs imo) and she has no options OoS (maybe utilt?).
:rosalina:: I guess my problem with Rosie is that her aerials feel awkward to me. Her fair is great but laggy and starts from below her to end just above her which is weird. I despise her nair too. I get that it hits all around her but the trajectory of the hitbox is really uncomfortable.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
:4villagerf:: Their moveset focuses heavily around projectiles, which I suck at using.
:4pacman: : Again, a projectile-heavy character. Plus I have serious difficulty killing with Pac.
:4ludwig: : All the disjointed hitboxes feel awkward to use and overall doesn't feel right to me.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
:4ness: I tried using him for a while but PM spoiled me and I just don't find this iteration of the character to be as fun
:4pit: I thought Pit looked like a really fun character pre-release but he still doesn't feel all that good to me
:4bowserjr: He's fun but I think he has to play too defensive for my tastes
:4villager: Same as above but more so

well the 4 characters I wanted to main before the game came out were :4pacman::4darkpit::4littlemac::4lucina:
I hate spam characters and the clones are inferior gameplay wise. Little mac is self explanatory (my most wanted newcomer [that had a chance,. RIP viridi] too :/)

after playing the game it's a split between :4bowserjr: and :4samus:. Bowser jr was my most wanted in brawl and I love the clown car idea. but the playstlye just doesn't feel right for how he moves. samus can use moves that aren't specials but she just feels so inferior. her improved physical game just doesn't make up for the less than average specials. At least I can fight the amiibo version of her

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
:4luigi:, full stop. I love the character, but he's just too clumsy, with bad air speed and awkward recovery moves.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm pretty lucky that I mesh well with the characters I really like and enjoy using them.

I suppose I'd like to use Olimar a bit more, but his moveset isn't that enjoyable to me.

Top Bottom