• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who would you consider marios best matchup

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
If GAW try to d throw he can use NAIR and up b I have found these useful in many matches with friends
If you nair or air dodge right out of down throw, it can be read and you'll get up smashed for your troubles. If you up b, it can usually be punished regardless of what followup I do after down throw. Also, bair to bair to up b at low-mid percents can gimp Mario fairly well, while any attempt for Mario to edgeguard G&W will end up getting outprioritized by up b.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
If you nair or air dodge right out of down throw, it can be read and you'll get up smashed for your troubles. If you up b, it can usually be punished regardless of what followup I do after down throw. Also, bair to bair to up b at low-mid percents can gimp Mario fairly well, while any attempt for Mario to edgeguard G&W will end up getting outprioritized by up b.
Huh guess my friend don't know that much I still think it's :4mario:50:50:4gaw:

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
I've heard it 45:55 and 55:45 for both characters. Mario is a pretty good combo weight for G&W, and he gets a ton of damage off grabs. G&W gets out of Mario's combos pretty quickly due to his light weight. And you only need one solid hit on Mario with no jump to take his stock. On the flip side, Mario does well in the neutral and can camp with fireballs to force G&W to approach with his very bad approaches in neutral and punish it. His up smash and fsmash kill incredibly early, around 80-90% without rage, and his down smash is frame 5, which is faster than a frame 6 dtilt from G&W. Mario wins the neutral, but G&W basically wins everything else.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I'd rather throw a ton of fireballs at them and make them work to get over to me. Since jabbing the fireballs leaves Ganon in a little tiny laggy animation, you can run up and grab. It's relatively easy to react to side b off stage if you're playing very cautiously, which you should be because recklessly going at Ganon will get you destroyed. Fludd is basically almost always the safer option, especially since you don't have to risk going offstage and get suicide killed. I tend to lean towards using cape than Fludd. It's easy to edgeguard with cape when they're recovering from below the stage and you're basically 100% sure they're going to up b right then.
Well for me, the cape is risky than the Fludd because I have to think about timing it right or else, he'll take me down with him with his side-b. I do the same way with Mario's fireballs as well so I guest thats a good point. Ever used the Fludd for spacing and putting him in a bad position besides edgeguarding?

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I've heard it 45:55 and 55:45 for both characters. Mario is a pretty good combo weight for G&W, and he gets a ton of damage off grabs. G&W gets out of Mario's combos pretty quickly due to his light weight. And you only need one solid hit on Mario with no jump to take his stock. On the flip side, Mario does well in the neutral and can camp with fireballs to force G&W to approach with his very bad approaches in neutral and punish it. His up smash and fsmash kill incredibly early, around 80-90% without rage, and his down smash is frame 5, which is faster than a frame 6 dtilt from G&W. Mario wins the neutral, but G&W basically wins everything else.
Thanks for the information I'm going to bed now

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
Well for me, the cape is risky than the Fludd because I have to think about timing it right or else, he'll take me down with him with his side-b. I do the same way with Mario's fireballs as well so I guest thats a good point. Ever used the Fludd for spacing and putting him in a bad position besides edgeguarding?
I only really use cape if I know that up b is his only option because he's below the stage. If he's above or at the height of the edge, you should either bair him because that should beat out side b, or stay away from teetering on the edge and use Fludd, that way if he side bs and somehow misses the Fludd, you'll hit the floor and not die. Fludd in neutral can be used to screw with Ganon approaching, and if he side bs he can sometimes go straight off the edge, go into freefall state and die. Mario should basically always have control of the match and the stage because he has projectiles to keep Ganon at bay.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I only really use cape if I know that up b is his only option because he's below the stage. If he's above or at the height of the edge, you should either bair him because that should beat out side b, or stay away from teetering on the edge and use Fludd, that way if he side bs and somehow misses the Fludd, you'll hit the floor and not die. Fludd in neutral can be used to screw with Ganon approaching, and if he side bs he can sometimes go straight off the edge, go into freefall state and die. Mario should basically always have control of the match and the stage because he has projectiles to keep Ganon at bay.
Sounds tough to pull off, but I'll try my best to cape the up-b when I face a good Ganon player with Mario.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
G&W beats Mario 55:45. He can escape combos pretty well and has disjoints that ruin Mario's life. Plus Mario can't really gimp G&W.
Both DK and Ganondorf beat Mario as well (probably the only two heavyweights able to do so). DK has better range and now has a kill combo with his Ding Dong. :4mario:40:60 :4dk: or 45:55 I'd say. Ganon also outranges Mario, plus his f-air can trade offstage with Mario's up B. He is combo food for Mario though and has a pretty linear recovery outside of customs. Therefore, :4mario:45:55 :4ganondorf:imo.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
G&W beats Mario 55:45. He can escape combos pretty well and has disjoints that ruin Mario's life. Plus Mario can't really gimp G&W.
Both DK and Ganondorf beat Mario as well (probably the only two heavyweights able to do so). DK has better range and now has a kill combo with his Ding Dong. :4mario:40:60 :4dk: or 45:55 I'd say. Ganon also outranges Mario, plus his f-air can trade offstage with Mario's up B. He is combo food for Mario though and has a pretty linear recovery outside of customs. Therefore, :4mario:45:55 :4ganondorf:imo.
Hmm... Is Donkey Kong's Cargo Throw really that good? I know it got buffed, but wow. I'd also think that Mario does well with DK offstage. I always just assumed that if you play aggressively against DK, he doesn't really have any fast aerials and he loses to rushdown characters. I've never necessarily played a good DK. As for Ganon, you should just be sweetspotting the edge with up b so he can't do anything about it. If he tries to dair you, you can just wait for him to whiff and then up b or up b early. As for edgeguarding, Mario has several moves that should make Ganon scared of ever getting offstage: Fludd, Cape, bair, and nair. Mario juggles Ganon well. As long as you're always moving and evading Ganon, he shouldn't be able to corner you and kill you early. I'd say DK is what you said, but Ganon is 55-45 Mario.

Last edited:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I seem to have a little bit of a difficult time fighting Kirby, but maybe it is just me not knowing the MU...

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I seem to have a little bit of a difficult time fighting Kirby, but maybe it is just me not knowing the MU...
:4mario:60:40:4kirby: mario can force kirby onto the air,or into shield with fireballs. Has better mobility and frame data. Can easily cape final cutter. And can kill kirby easily. Kirby can't combo mario due to his nair. Hope this helps you out.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Okay thanks. I am a new Mario player so I do not know much.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
I would probably say Robin is his best MU. Earlier I got an awesome spike when he was up-bing, When he was about to do his second green beam-thingy (LOL), I caped him, so when it shot out, it spiked him. So AWESOME!

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I would probably say Robin is his best MU. Earlier I got an awesome spike when he was up-bing, When he was about to do his second green beam-thingy (LOL), I caped him, so when it shot out, it spiked him. So AWESOME!
Your not the only one imo :4mario:80:20:4robinm: it's really easy for mario.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Yeah... Robin is a disappointment in this game. I wanted him to be a good character, but he loses to most of the cast...

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Yeah... Robin is a disappointment in this game. I wanted him to be a good character, but he loses to most of the cast...
I think robin is lower mid but he does lose a lot of matchups he might even lose to bowser since he can just rush him down.

Drake Lalonde

Smash Rookie
I would have to say I personally have the most trouble of heavy being .:4dedede:.. He lives to infinity and sometimes deciding weather to cape or fireball the Gordos back gets annoying. I have had a ton of success against :4ganondorf::4charizard::4dk: though. Maybe DDD just has my number :/

Top Bottom