• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who would you consider marios best matchup

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
:4mario: does pretty good against most of the cast but who does he like the most in my opinion it could be:4palutena: :4myfriends::4littlemac::4robinm::4samus:or:4zelda:with :4bowserjr::4dk::4kirby:and:4dedede: being maybes

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I'd say Robin. Little Mac can screw you if you're too reckless. Robin however... not really. He/She gets combo'ed to oblivion and has a predictable recovery too.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I'd say Robin. Little Mac can screw you if you're too reckless. Robin however... not really. He/She gets combo'ed to oblivion and has a predictable recovery too.
Mario's cap makes it impossible to zone as robin

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I consider most heavy weights to be easy. Good Ganondorf players could really have you to your peak of mercy, though..
Ganondorf arguably wins vs Mario, or goes even.
I have 4 heavy weights :4bowserjr::4dk::4dedede::4myfriends: who would you consider easiest
Not sure about Bowser Jr. and DK, but DDD and Ike I agree that Mario has the advantage.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Ganondorf arguably wins vs Mario, or goes even.

Not sure about Bowser Jr. and DK, but DDD and Ike I agree that Mario has the advantage.
Here are why mario beats :4bowserjr:and:4dk: mario capes all of Jr's projectiles and stops him from approching with clown car he can escape Jr's combos and jr himself is very easy to combo punish and gimp however all of Jr's moves are disjointed and he is hard to kill :4mario:55:45:4bowserjr: as for dk he is pretty easy to gimp combo and punish he had no projectiles and has to deal with fireballs on a smart way however he has more range than you and he's hard to kill so once again :4mario:55:45:4dk: possibly higher :4bowser::4charizard::4rob:and according to many people :4wario2: are also good matchups for mario that are heavy weight

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
In terms of votes
1:4dk:
1:4littlemac:
2:4robinm:

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
home many of you would consider :4drmario:as a very good matchup for :4mario:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario invalidates Robin pretty blatantly, so that's technically his best matchup. Robin just loses in every part of the matchup. He can't stop Mario from camping or rushing him down, and he has probably the worst recovery in the game. It's so bad that even Mario has a very easy time gimping it, and you usually shouldn't be gimping people as Mario unless they DIed terribly and would be gimped by any other character anyway.

Mario also craps on DDD pretty hard and is nearly unwinnable for him minus the fact that DDD is actually kinda stupid to approach, however DDD can't ever actually catch Mario if Mario chooses to play lame, run away, and camp/bait bad approaches given DDD literally has no midrange game. Basically if you never screw up, DDD gets bodied and doesn't really have the tools to fight Mario.

DK craps on Mario because his Up-B breaks combos and your D-air and he's a chore to approach due to his range and reward. His Up-B also is very reliable for gimping Mario's recovery too. DK imo is one of Mario's worst matchups, refer to Ally vs Will. Will demonstrates how stupid DK's Up-B is against Mario, and he forces Ally to switch characters in the last match.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Mario invalidates Robin pretty blatantly, so that's technically his best matchup. Robin just loses in every part of the matchup. He can't stop Mario from camping or rushing him down, and he has probably the worst recovery in the game. It's so bad that even Mario has a very easy time gimping it, and you usually shouldn't be gimping people as Mario unless they DIed terribly and would be gimped by any other character anyway.

Mario also craps on DDD pretty hard and is nearly unwinnable for him minus the fact that DDD is actually kinda stupid to approach, however DDD can't ever actually catch Mario if Mario chooses to play lame, run away, and camp/bait bad approaches given DDD literally has no midrange game. Basically if you never screw up, DDD gets bodied and doesn't really have the tools to fight Mario.

DK craps on Mario because his Up-B breaks combos and your D-air and he's a chore to approach due to his range and reward. His Up-B also is very reliable for gimping Mario's recovery too. DK imo is one of Mario's worst matchups, refer to Ally vs Will. Will demonstrates how stupid DK's Up-B is against Mario, and he forces Ally to switch characters in the last match.
:4dk: is stupid and :4mario:vs:4dedede: isunwinnable for:4dedede: I doubt that since he is hard to ko

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
:4dk: is stupid and :4mario:vs:4dedede: us unwinnable for:4dedede: I doubt that since he is hard to ko
Yeah, DDD will probably live to like 170 against Mario if he's clever about avoiding U-smash, but for the most part he can't really hit Mario if he's running away. Basically it's definitely a super terrible matchup for DDD and he really can only bet on rage comebacks and the Mario just flat out screwing up.

If he likes hovering around with his jumps, you can either Up-B or FLUDD him to force him in a bad position, which can eventually help you get kills.

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Yeah, DDD will probably live to like 170 against Mario if he's clever about avoiding U-smash, but for the most part he can't really hit Mario if he's running away. Basically it's definitely a super terrible matchup for DDD and he really can only bet on rage comebacks and the Mario just flat out screwing up.

If he likes hovering around with his jumps, you can either Up-B or FLUDD him to force him in a bad position, which can eventually help you get kills.
how do you deal with :4duckhunt: I feel this one is even but my friend is just super cheap with him

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
how do you deal with :4duckhunt: I feel this one is even but my friend is just super cheap with him
I actually think Duck Hunt wins slightly because he's ridiculously short which ruins a lot of Mario's approaches and his aerials are generally better than Mario's. However, he has mediocre options when being juggled and edgeguarded. So you should take advantage of that. His throws by themselves don't kill, so DIing away from Duck Hunt is generally always optimal (DIing towards him lets him more easily trap or combo you into U-air if he goes for D-throw). It's also important to pay attention to how you space vs the can. If you tap it with an attack (including a fireball), it will face the other direction, which can work both to your advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I actually think Duck Hunt wins slightly because he's ridiculously short which ruins a lot of Mario's approaches and his aerials are generally better than Mario's. However, he has mediocre options when being juggled and edgeguarded. So you should take advantage of that. His throws by themselves don't kill, so DIing away from Duck Hunt is generally always optimal (DIing towards him lets him more easily trap or combo you into U-air if he goes for D-throw). It's also important to pay attention to how you space vs the can. If you tap it with an attack (including a fireball), it will face the other direction, which can work both to your advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation.
If I switch characters who wouldyou reccomend

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Villager and Rosalina are really hard for Duck Hunt off the top of my head.
I heard duck hunt can't kill so I feel :4wario2:would be good because he's heavy can kill:4duckhunt: and can eat the projectiles

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
:4pikachu:is a even match up for Mario. Same goes to :4zelda:, :4palutena:,:4dedede:,:4jigglypuff:,:4bowser:, :4dk:, :4megaman:,and:4drmario:.

:4kirby::Unless Kirby does a custom battle, then Mario wins the MU, slighty. Kirby can die early since he's light, can get juggled because he's floaty, Mario has better mobility, his recovery better, but can still get gimped because of his slow air mobility and if he tried to use his cutter and Mario capes him, then he's done. Also, better frame data too. What Kirby has on Mario is escaping his combos, gimping Mario more because of his linear recovery, and If Kirby gets the fireball in his hands, then he has more options with it. Kirby combos work on Mario, but watch out for the N-air and Jump punch since he can use those for combo breaking.
:4littlemac::If you're at the ledge, either back throw or forward throw to get him off the stage and start fludding or caping his crapping recovery. Also ledge guard against him and use angled down forward smash, or down smash so he can't make it back, but watch out for the counter though. Battlefield and platform stages are your best friend against Little Mac.
:4metaknight:: I think is a even MU for Mario; Its just that you won't get a lot of edgeguards against Meta Knight.
:4ness:: Even maybe, but slighty in Ness's favor because of his superior air game, koing, and comboing.
:4palutena:: With customs, she can be a threat to Mario since she has more ko options, approaching better, hard to edgeguard, and comboing more thanks to Super speed, Jump guild, and Lightweight with the right. Otherwise, MU is even with default.
:4robinf:: Cape can help in this MU against Robin along with powershielding her projecties so you can get into her face without worrying about getting zone out easily. Both can gimp each other, but Mario wins slighty because if he times his cape on her recovery, then she's done. Because of her terrible ground speed, she need to stay at med range and have to keep Mario out to avoid close combat which he wins with better frame data, grab, combos(which is hard for her to escape) and better mobility. Robin can out-range him in the air and has better kill power with the Levin Sword. Also, Robin has some that can work on Mario, but I don't know them because I'm not that good with Robin. MU is even or maybe slighty in Mario's favor.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
:4pikachu:is a even match up for Mario. Same goes to :4zelda:, :4palutena:,:4dedede:,:4jigglypuff:,:4bowser:, :4dk:, :4megaman:,and:4drmario:.

:4kirby::Unless Kirby does a custom battle, then Mario wins the MU, slighty. Kirby can die early since he's light, can get juggled because he's floaty, Mario has better mobility, his recovery better, but can still get gimped because of his slow air mobility and if he tried to use his cutter and Mario capes him, then he's done. Also, better frame data too. What Kirby has on Mario is escaping his combos, gimping Mario more because of his linear recovery, and If Kirby gets the fireball in his hands, then he has more options with it. Kirby combos work on Mario, but watch out for the N-air and Jump punch since he can use those for combo breaking.
:4littlemac::If you're at the ledge, either back throw or forward throw to get him off the stage and start fludding or caping his crapping recovery. Also ledge guard against him and use angled down forward smash, or down smash so he can't make it back, but watch out for the counter though. Battlefield and platform stages are your best friend against Little Mac.
:4metaknight:: I think is a even MU for Mario; Its just that you won't get a lot of edgeguards against Meta Knight.
:4ness:: Even maybe, but slighty in Ness's favor because of his superior air game, koing, and comboing.
:4palutena:: With customs, she can be a threat to Mario since she has more ko options, approaching better, hard to edgeguard, and comboing more thanks to Super speed, Jump guild, and Lightweight with the right. Otherwise, MU is even with default.
:4robinf:: Cape can help in this MU against Robin along with powershielding her projecties so you can get into her face without worrying about getting zone out easily. Both can gimp each other, but Mario wins slighty because if he times his cape on her recovery, then she's done. Because of her terrible ground speed, she need to stay at med range and have to keep Mario out to avoid close combat which he wins with better frame data, grab, combos(which is hard for her to escape) and better mobility. Robin can out-range him in the air and has better kill power with the Levin Sword. Also, Robin has some that can work on Mario, but I don't know them because I'm not that good with Robin. MU is even or maybe slighty in Mario's favor.
:4mario: beats :4bowser: up smash covers all his landing options and he can't deal with combos he is easy to punish and edgeguard:4megaman:and:4zelda: have been regarded as good for mario how is :4palutena: even same thing with:4drmario: :4dedede: and :4jigglypuff: mario beats for jiggly I don't remember but dedede has 1 advantage his weight but he is combo city and he is easy to edgeguard and sucks at approching

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
this gives me an idea who would you say marios most even matchup Is I would say :4pacman: as for best :4robinm: and :4dedede: seem pretty obvious at this point

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
:4mario: beats :4bowser: up smash covers all his landing options and he can't deal with combos he is easy to punish and edgeguard:4megaman:and:4zelda: have been regarded as good for mario how is :4palutena: even same thing with:4drmario: :4dedede: and :4jigglypuff: mario beats for jiggly I don't remember but dedede has 1 advantage his weight but he is combo city and he is easy to edgeguard and sucks at approching
Umm with Bowser, I haven't face a lot of Bowser players lately, but you're right about the MU. :4drmario:,:4palutena:, and:4jigglypuff:, allow me to explain.

Starting with:4drmario:: Hes better with Koing, better with edgeguarding because he can kill better off-stage not only with Back air, but also with his tornado and jump punch. Even though Mario can combo better, Doc's damage output makes up for it. His Out of Shield options are better with jump-punch, up smash, n-air, and maybe forward smash and down smash. The Doc's jab is better for setting up kos with his jump punch from jab 2 to Jump punch, but Mario has to 110% or higher to the ledge for it to work. Mario has better mobility, combos, better recovery, cape can stall in the air unlike Doc, and can use the fludd and cape to get him off-stage. Both can combo-break each other, same range(but Mario's forward smash), and share of customs to outdo each other.

:4jigglypuff:: Jigglypuff can edgeguard Mario, has a superior air game to combo and out-range Mario with her air attacks, can escape Mario's combos, and be difficult to edgeguard(watch out for Mario's fair, though because she won't be able to reach the ledge if she's 50% or higher), and has her rest for Oos, crouch, and punish. Also, her air speed to something to keep in mind of because she can use it to run away, space her air attacks(including pound), and to edgeguard, but don't forget, Mario is quick enough to keep up with her. Mario can juggle her hard because of his up smash since she's light and floaty, kill her early(again she's lightweight), does better in the ground which Jigglypuff sucks at, Mario can live longer and befits from rage, and Mario has more ko options that are safe and better to use, unlike Jigglypuff. Customs I don't know, but with shocking cape and fast fireball, it can be more difficult for Jigglypuff to approach and be killed if she doesn't see the shocking cape, coming.

:4palutena:: Palutena has a superior air game to zone out Mario, out-range him, and with her back-air, it can beat out all of Mario's air attacks because of its invincibility frames. Edgeguarding, she wins slighty because of her n-air, forward air, back-air, teleport for ledge cancelled, and up-smash to cover the ledge. His cape is useless against her projectile. Her recovery is better than Zelda's because with her teleport, she can get to the ground to avoid landing lag, she doesn't have to go to the ledge all of the time and can go teleport right into platforms, and teleport away from Mario for room. Her jab's range can stop stop Mario from coming in on her as so as her up-tile if he tries to land on her. What Mario has on the Goddess? Even with counter, she can still get juggled since Palutena's floaty. Even though I would say their koing is even, Mario can ko better slighty because his moves are safe while Palutena's are punishable due to endlag of her smash attacks. Mario's better in the ground than her because of frame data. While Mario can be comboed by Palutena, he can also combo her since she has no move to break up his combos and counter is too slow to do the job. Mario can live longer and Palutena can die easily because she's light. Also, Mario is fast in the air while Palutena has better ground speed than him. Battlefield and any stage with platforms I think she does better in because she uses the platforms to escape juggles, cancel with Warp to avoid landing lag, and use her SH N-air for mindgames and even SH up-air for juggles as well. Fast fireball to shut down her super speed and maybe shocking cape, but like I said, she wins the custom battle against Mario.

That's how the MUs with :4drmario:,:4palutena:, and:4jigglypuff: are even. Sorry about the long post, though.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Mario invalidates Robin pretty blatantly, so that's technically his best matchup.

That match is kinda old right now, it hardly demonstrates how the matchup is played. Overall I feel it's even.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I don't know, to be honest--Mario doesn't win any matchups by a landslide if the other player plays smart... Mario dies fairly early and is fairly easy to gimp, as his recovery options are predictable. He may have slight advantages in matchups where he can kill early, but the longer the match goes on, the harder it gets for Mario to survive. Whenever I go against heavies, I imagine that I'm already a stock behind, because of how early they can kill Mario, and how high of a percent we have to combo them to in order to win.
One thing is for sure--Don't sleep on any of the characters being mentioned, because smart Robins can kill Mario at 60 (Levin Sword is super good), Bowser Jr's can combo Mario from dair to fsmash, which is scary for Mario. DedeDownsmash can gimp Mario fairly early, as can Ganon side tilt.
Hm... I really feel like Mario is 50-50 for a lot of his matchups, which is a good thing from a balance perspective. Even with all of his tools and options, he's pretty well-balanced.
I think the main issue is skill level--A lot of characters have a high floor and a high ceiling in Smash 4. Mario, however, has a low floor and a high ceiling, so people make him seem stronger than he actually is because he yields better results earlier because he's easier to start off with and understand. I could be wrong, and I'm willing to change my mind if I am, this is just what I think.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That match is kinda old right now, it hardly demonstrates how the matchup is played. Overall I feel it's even.
DK also got very significant buffs to his grab game keep in mind, and he STILL has the aforementioned range and combo breaking advantages. I'm not sure how you believe this matchup is even.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
what is marios ratio against:4robinm:
Honestly I think he wins vs Robin like 7/3. It's one of the few really lopsided matchups in this game. All because Robin has two specific weaknesses. An absolutely horrible negative state, and a real lack of any safe and reliable midrange game. Which again, lets Mario freely camp AND rush him down, on top of Robin just arguably having the worst recovery in the game.

Mario has absolutely no reason to be losing this matchup in a competitive setting. You can do effectively whatever the hell you want, and Robin doesn't have a way to pin Mario down or get out of bad situations.

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Honestly I think he wins vs Robin like 7/3. It's one of the few really lopsided matchups in this game. All because Robin has two specific weaknesses. An absolutely horrible negative state, and a real lack of any safe and reliable midrange game. Which again, lets Mario freely camp AND rush him down, on top of Robin just arguably having the worst recovery in the game.

Mario has absolutely no reason to be losing this matchup in a competitive setting.
Is 7/3 a +3 or +4

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dunno why you're asking the obvious. Clearly you already know for yourself what "lopsided" means.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Umm with Bowser, I haven't face a lot of Bowser players lately, but you're right about the MU. :4drmario:,:4palutena:, and:4jigglypuff:, allow me to explain.

Starting with:4drmario:: Hes better with Koing, better with edgeguarding because he can kill better off-stage not only with Back air, but also with his tornado and jump punch. Even though Mario can combo better, Doc's damage output makes up for it. His Out of Shield options are better with jump-punch, up smash, n-air, and maybe forward smash and down smash. The Doc's jab is better for setting up kos with his jump punch from jab 2 to Jump punch, but Mario has to 110% or higher to the ledge for it to work. Mario has better mobility, combos, better recovery, cape can stall in the air unlike Doc, and can use the fludd and cape to get him off-stage. Both can combo-break each other, same range(but Mario's forward smash), and share of customs to outdo each other.

:4jigglypuff:: Jigglypuff can edgeguard Mario, has a superior air game to combo and out-range Mario with her air attacks, can escape Mario's combos, and be difficult to edgeguard(watch out for Mario's fair, though because she won't be able to reach the ledge if she's 50% or higher), and has her rest for Oos, crouch, and punish. Also, her air speed to something to keep in mind of because she can use it to run away, space her air attacks(including pound), and to edgeguard, but don't forget, Mario is quick enough to keep up with her. Mario can juggle her hard because of his up smash since she's light and floaty, kill her early(again she's lightweight), does better in the ground which Jigglypuff sucks at, Mario can live longer and befits from rage, and Mario has more ko options that are safe and better to use, unlike Jigglypuff. Customs I don't know, but with shocking cape and fast fireball, it can be more difficult for Jigglypuff to approach and be killed if she doesn't see the shocking cape, coming.

:4palutena:: Palutena has a superior air game to zone out Mario, out-range him, and with her back-air, it can beat out all of Mario's air attacks because of its invincibility frames. Edgeguarding, she wins slighty because of her n-air, forward air, back-air, teleport for ledge cancelled, and up-smash to cover the ledge. His cape is useless against her projectile. Her recovery is better than Zelda's because with her teleport, she can get to the ground to avoid landing lag, she doesn't have to go to the ledge all of the time and can go teleport right into platforms, and teleport away from Mario for room. Her jab's range can stop stop Mario from coming in on her as so as her up-tile if he tries to land on her. What Mario has on the Goddess? Even with counter, she can still get juggled since Palutena's floaty. Even though I would say their koing is even, Mario can ko better slighty because his moves are safe while Palutena's are punishable due to endlag of her smash attacks. Mario's better in the ground than her because of frame data. While Mario can be comboed by Palutena, he can also combo her since she has no move to break up his combos and counter is too slow to do the job. Mario can live longer and Palutena can die easily because she's light. Also, Mario is fast in the air while Palutena has better ground speed than him. Battlefield and any stage with platforms I think she does better in because she uses the platforms to escape juggles, cancel with Warp to avoid landing lag, and use her SH N-air for mindgames and even SH up-air for juggles as well. Fast fireball to shut down her super speed and maybe shocking cape, but like I said, she wins the custom battle against Mario.

That's how the MUs with :4drmario:,:4palutena:, and:4jigglypuff: are even. Sorry about the long post, though.
It's ok that the post is long if anything that's better because I get more information

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
DK also got very significant buffs to his grab game keep in mind, and he STILL has the aforementioned range and combo breaking advantages. I'm not sure how you believe this matchup is even.
I guess I haven't faced many good DKs. There aren't any DK mains in our scene and I hardly encounter one online.
I think the main issue is skill level--A lot of characters have a high floor and a high ceiling in Smash 4. Mario, however, has a low floor and a high ceiling, so people make him seem stronger than he actually is because he yields better results earlier because he's easier to start off with and understand. I could be wrong, and I'm willing to change my mind if I am, this is just what I think.
That also has the reverse effect. Since Mario is easy to pick up, some people go with him and expect to have easy wins. But then his limitations start to show and they usually choke.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't know about easiest, but Falcon is definitely up there in terms of easy matchups.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
My personal opinion:

:4mario: 50:50 :4lucas:
:4mario: 60:40 :4mewtwo:
:4mario: 45:55: :4feroy:
:4mario: 55:45 :4ryu:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
My personal opinion:

:4mario: 50:50 :4lucas:
:4mario: 60:40 :4mewtwo:
:4mario: 45:55: :4feroy:
:4mario: 55:45 :4ryu:
Once again thank you would have told you that earlier but my phone got the email late I would agree with you lucas is easy to gimp but his moves are disjointed mewtwo is big and light so he can't deal with mario racking up damage on him plus he gets killed early roy has a disjointed hit box and ryu we can escape his combos and gimp him

Top Bottom