• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who would you consider marios best matchup

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Ryu is funny since even if he starts a Focus Attack in mid-air, d-air will win since it's a multi-hit move. FLUDD allows Mario to control the stage better and screw Ryu's recovery.
Here's a recent match where we can see Mario having the edge vs Ryu:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Ryu is funny since even if he starts a Focus Attack in mid-air, d-air will win since it's a multi-hit move. FLUDD allows Mario to control the stage better and screw Ryu's recovery.
Everytime ryu gets a combo starter in this match like down tilt mario just jumps out that is hilarious

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
It seems that Mario player got control of the game along with edgeguarding and reads.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
My mario matchup opinions
:4mario:55:45:4bowser:
:4mario:55:45:4bowserjr:
:4mario:50:50:4falcon:
:4mario:55:45:4charizard:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4darkpit:
:4mario:60:40:4dedede:
:4mario:45:55:4diddy:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4dk:
:4mario:55:45/50:50:4drmario:
:4mario:50:50:4duckhunt:
:4mario:50:50:4falco:
:4mario:50:50:4fox:
:4mario:50:50:4ganondorf:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4gaw:
:4mario:50:50:4greninja:
:4mario:60:40:4myfriends:
:4mario:55:45/50:50:4jigglypuff:
:4mario:60:40:4kirby:
:4mario:65:35:4littlemac:
:4mario:50:50:4link:
:4mario:55:45:4lucario:
:4mario:50:50:4lucas:
:4mario:45:55:4lucina:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4luigi:
:4mario:35:65:4marth:
:4mario:55:45:4megaman:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4metaknight:
:4mario:60:40:4mewtwo:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4ness:
:4mario:55:45:4olimar:
:4mario:55:45/50:50:4palutena:
:4mario:50:50:4pacman:
:4mario:55:45/50:50:4peach:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4pikachu:
:4mario:50:50/45:55:4pit:
:4mario:55:45:4rob:
:4mario:80:20:4robinm:
:4mario:40:60:rosalina:
:4mario:45:55:4feroy:
:4mario:55:45:4ryu:
:4mario:60:40:4samus:
:4mario:40:60:4sheik:
:4mario:50:50:4shulk:
:4mario:45:55:4sonic:
:4mario:50:50:4tlink:
:4mario:55:45:4villager:
:4mario:55:45:4wario:
:4mario:55:45:4wiifit:
:4mario:45:55:4yoshi:
:4mario:55:45:4zelda:
:4mario:45:55:4zss:
Whatchu fellas think not so sure about :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: also if it's 50:50/45:55 or 50:50/55:45 it means evenish if not the other characters or Mario's favor

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I think Mario wins vs Shulk just because how gimpable his recovery is (Air Slash doesn't auto-sweetspot the ledge, similar to Ike's Aether).

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I think Mario wins vs Shulk just because how gimpable his recovery is (Air Slash doesn't auto-sweetspot the ledge, similar to Ike's Aether).
Mario beating shulk I never would have thought about that because the whole disjointed moveset thing also is that your main problem or is there other problems you have with the list other than shulk where i can definitely make it :4mario:50:50/55:45:4shulk:

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
My mario matchup opinions
:4mario:65:35:4littlemac:
:4mario:50:50:4shulk:
I like to know how you deal with Little Mac if its in Mario's favor, besides beating him off stage because I had trouble with him on stage.

Even against Shulk? I don't sure about that besides his disjointed moves to wall out Mario, Don't forget he also has Monado arts to edgeguard with jump, speed for pivot dash and grab along with fox and dance trot, Sometimes Shield at zero or early percent to limit Mario's combo options, and Smash to increase his koing power. In my opinion, its not a easy MU for Mario.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I like to know how you deal with Little Mac if its in Mario's favor, besides beating him off stage because I had trouble with him on stage.

Even against Shulk? I don't sure about that besides his disjointed moves to wall out Mario, Don't forget he also has Monado arts to edgeguard with jump, speed for pivot dash and grab along with fox and dance trot, Sometimes Shield at zero or early percent to limit Mario's combo options, and Smash to increase his koing power. In my opinion, its not a easy MU for Mario.
On stage when going against a mac I usally wait for Mac to make a mistake and get my combos in mac is lightweight and easy to kill and we all know that his aerial game sucks compared to marios aerial combos as for shulk pretty much everyone is saying it's even

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Ok. Easy said than done because of his ground game, but I'll try your way if I can in the MU. I'll find a Shulk player, face one, and look at the MU thread for both of them.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Ok. Easy said than done because of his ground game, but I'll try your way if I can in the MU. I'll find a Shulk player, face one, and look at the MU thread for both of them.
My advice cones from my experience with my friend he may not be good compared to the people you fight but that's what normaly helps me out are mac and shulk your only problems are is there something else that is bothering you with the matchup chart I madr

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
My advice cones from my experience with my friend he may not be good compared to the people you fight but that's what normaly helps me out are mac and shulk your only problems are is there something else that is bothering you with the matchup chart I madr
Thats true. Nothing else, but his range and Monado arts to cause problems for Mario. However, like I said, I'll have to find some more Shulk players to face.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Thats true. Nothing else, but his range and Monado arts to cause problems for Mario. However, like I said, I'll have to find some more Shulk players to face.
I thought you would have a problem with the evenish ratios and matchups

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
You don't need to be passive while facing Mac. FLUDD is your best friend. If he's close to the ledge, push him offstage with it. Use it to stop his approaches as well.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I thought you would have a problem with the evenish ratios and matchups
No I don't have a problem with the radios, but I want to give advice on the Mario and Shulk MU since I have a face decent Shulk player a few months ago. However, I like to ask how do you deal with the MU against Peach as Mario?

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
No I don't have a problem with the radios, but I want to give advice on the Mario and Shulk MU since I have a face decent Shulk player a few months ago. However, I like to ask how do you deal with the MU against Peach as Mario?
I have never faced peach the evenish ratios comes from what I have heard while searching threads and questions about matchups

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
You don't need to be passive while facing Mac. FLUDD is your best friend. If he's close to the ledge, push him offstage with it. Use it to stop his approaches as well.
Thanks. That always been my problem when facing him.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I have never faced peach the evenish ratios comes from what I have heard while searching threads and questions about matchups
I understand, I barely fought some myself and little experience with the MU.
What about against Luigi? He can be a threat to Mario thanks to his damage output, and N-air to limit his brother's combo options.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I understand, I barely fought some myself and little experience with the MU.
What about against Luigi? He can be a threat to Mario thanks to his damage output, and N-air to limit his brother's combo options.
Luigi I actually don't think is that bad due to his buffs I would slighty lean towards his advantage however luigi has a hard time approching mario when he has to deal with fireballs and since luigi has to approach to get a grab that could be a problem and marios jab beats out luigis grab however as I said before luigis buffs helped him out a lot here and he also has his better options in neutral better combos combo breakers and kill power some of this information I got from mariometeor and zeros youtube account

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Luigi can be tough for Mario. He outdamages us, has a better combo game and better killing power overall. Mario has better mobility though and you can intercept his recovery if you play your offstage game well.
The MU is like :4mario: 45:55 :4luigi: .
I use Samus as my sub-main for any tough Luigi I encounter, even though I usually manage to beat them as Mario.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Luigi can be tough for Mario. He outdamages us, has a better combo game and better killing power overall. Mario has better mobility though and you can intercept his recovery if you play your offstage game well.
I use Samus as my sub-main for any tough Luigi I encounter, even though I usually manage to beat them as Mario.
I would definitely agree with you even though I think it's evenish I slightly lean towards luigis favor I usally use :4tlink::4zss:and sometimes:4sonic:(even though the luigi boards say sonic loses ) to counter luigi but I can still win as :4mario: :4samus: is arguably even in my opinion

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Good point, I always had trouble with them when it comes to getting damage on Luigi and have to get him out of my face to avoid close combat until I see a chance to get in on him safety.

Last edited:

GrayGray4468

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrayGray4468
3DS FC
1865-0138-3607
His best matchup imo is probably roy. because one grab and its all over! here's how it goes:

Mario gets grab, down throw, commences 3-4 U-Tilts
Jab 1 for hitstun
Grab, down throw, D-Tilt x 2
now we are about 50%
D-Throw, Roy, depending on whos playing him will either counter or airdodge
Either way, lag on ground, charge f-smash
now like 70-80%
roy's off stage, either cape or FLUDD.
Stock Taken

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
His best matchup imo is probably roy. because one grab and its all over! here's how it goes:

Mario gets grab, down throw, commences 3-4 U-Tilts
Jab 1 for hitstun
Grab, down throw, D-Tilt x 2
now we are about 50%
D-Throw, Roy, depending on whos playing him will either counter or airdodge
Either way, lag on ground, charge f-smash
now like 70-80%
roy's off stage, either cape or FLUDD.
Stock Taken
our boys disjointed hit box could make it hard to get that grab

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
-2:4marth::4sheik:
-1:4lucina::4luigi::4yoshi::4sonic::4zss::4diddy::4feroy::rosalina:
0:4pit::4darkpit::4gaw::4dk::4metaknight::4duckhunt::4falco::4link::4ganondorf::4greninja::4shulk::4ness::4pikachu::4lucas::4falcon::4fox::4pacman::4tlink::4drmario:
+1:4bowser::4bowserjr::4palutena::4jigglypuff::4peach::4charizard::4megaman::4lucario::4rob::4wario2::4ryu::4olimar::4wiifit::4villager::4zelda:
+ 2:4myfriends::4samus::4kirby::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4dedede:
+ 3:4robinm: (changed because there are barely any +4 matchups)
how many of you think this is good PLEASE let me know by giving it a rating from 1/10 2/10 etc also for the evenish 50:50/55:45 matchups I put the charecters in the spot I think is more likely

Last edited:

GrayGray4468

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrayGray4468
3DS FC
1865-0138-3607
-2:4marth::4sheik:
-1:4lucina::4luigi::4yoshi::4sonic::4zss::4diddy::4feroy::rosalina:
0:4pit::4darkpit::4gaw::4dk::4metaknight::4duckhunt::4falco::4link::4ganondorf::4greninja::4shulk::4ness::4pikachu::4lucas::4falcon::4fox::4pacman::4tlink::4drmario:
+1:4bowser::4bowserjr::4palutena::4jigglypuff::4peach::4charizard::4megaman::4lucario::4rob::4wario2::4ryu::4olimar::4wiifit::4villager::4zelda:
+ 2:4myfriends::4samus::4kirby::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4dedede:
+ 4:4robinm:
how many of you think this is good PLEASE let me know by giving it a rating from 1/10 2/10 etc also for the evenish 50:50/55:45 matchups I put the charecters in the spot I think is more likely
roy needs to be with ike

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Make Robin a +3. There's hardly any matchup in this game that is a +4.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Would it be a good idea to show this to the mario matchup index or not I am talking about the matchup chart I made for mario

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Normally in the matchup index, each individual matchup would be discussed during a period of time. But the mods of the Mario boards have been really inactive so I don't know...

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
Normally in the matchup index, each individual matchup would be discussed during a period of time. But the mods of the Mario boards have been really inactive so I don't know...
Hey what ls your NNID nintendo network you wanna play some sparring matches I might not be the best but this is just for fun

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
G&W is not even close to Mario's best MU.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
The Mario G&W MU is probably a little bit in Mario's favor, but it is by no means his best match up. Characters that have little mobility and bad recoveries like Donkey Kong or Ganondorf have pretty bad MUs against Mario.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
The Mario G&W MU is probably a little bit in Mario's favor, but it is by no means his best match up. Characters that have little mobility and bad recoveries like Donkey Kong or Ganondorf have pretty bad MUs against Mario.
You'll forgetting about a couple of things. Range, better damage output, kill power, heavy, rage, and Gannodorf can also gimp Mario as well.

Edit: Just want to throw that out.

Last edited:

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
You'll forgetting about a couple of things. Range, better damage output, kill power, heavy, rage, and Gannodorf can also gimp Mario as well.

Edit: Just want to throw that out.
Factoring those in, while it's hard for Ganondorf to approach Mario, his raw power can make up for that somewhat. But I still think he gets camped too hard by fireballs and edgeguarded too easily. While Mario lacks range, he has good damage racking abilities, decent kill power, and can edgeguard opponents really well.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Factoring those in, while it's hard for Ganondorf to approach Mario, his raw power can make up for that somewhat. But I still think he gets camped too hard by fireballs and edgeguarded too easily. While Mario lacks range, he has good damage racking abilities, decent kill power, and can edgeguard opponents really well.
Don't forget a good Ganon will power-shield and can jab through them fireballs, but yeah, you do make a good point since he's slow. Ganon's side-b is something to watch out for while he's off stage, but I think the fludd is safer to use for that than the cape.

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
Don't forget a good Ganon will power-shield and can jab through them fireballs, but yeah, you do make a good point since he's slow. Ganon's side-b is something to watch out for while he's off stage, but I think the fludd is safer to use for that than the cape.
I'd rather throw a ton of fireballs at them and make them work to get over to me. Since jabbing the fireballs leaves Ganon in a little tiny laggy animation, you can run up and grab. It's relatively easy to react to side b off stage if you're playing very cautiously, which you should be because recklessly going at Ganon will get you destroyed. Fludd is basically almost always the safer option, especially since you don't have to risk going offstage and get suicide killed. I tend to lean towards using cape than Fludd. It's easy to edgeguard with cape when they're recovering from below the stage and you're basically 100% sure they're going to up b right then.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
This thread isn't dead anymore it seems anyway for GAW :4mario:50:50:4gaw: GAW has disjointed moves and his invincible up smash to stop marios approach options however mario can escape his combos kill him early and punish him as well
EDIT: as for who I think marios best us I would say :4robinm: who IMO he beats :4mario:80:20:4robinm: he loses every part of the matchup and it's really lopsided however :4dedede:and :4mewtwo: are also great for mario I say ge beats both 65:35 they se both easy to combo edgeguard and punish Mewtwo is light and easy to ko but dedede isn't I think marios 3 best matchup in order of best to worst would be
1::4robinm:
2::4dedede:
3::4mewtwo:

Last edited:
Top Bottom