• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would be interested in Tri/Bi weeklies, on a FRIDAY, at Cal Poly Pomona?

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I did Biweeklies at my school way back in 2006, so I have SOME tourney running experience :p

This is just a maybe, but just wondering, if I were to start this, how many would actually show up? It's a Friday, and I would start around 12-2, meaning, most younger people would still be at school. So I'd like a head count as to how many would actually show up, cause I don't want to start doing this, and only like 5 or 6 people would show up.

Back in 2006, I did this on my free time in the study room at the dorms, but this time, I'll most likely be going through an Engineering club(meaning, venue fees would most likely come in effect), but this means we'll actually have a room, and set ups.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I might be soon. Theres a possibility I'll be attending cal poly pomona next fall.

smilenod

Smash Rookie
unfortunately i have work weekends so i have to take off to la right after school. Though i can't participate in this I'd most definitely show up just as a meet and greet.

Lovage

Smash Hero
friday tournaments always get like half the turnout of saturday ones, is there anyway it can be on saturday? even sunday would be better i think.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
oh, you mean actual tournies? i thought you meant smashfests. id go if no one good was going

LOVAGE WHYD YOU CHANGE YOUR AVATAR

i dont even know what it was before but what it is now sux. makes me think of pat

Adam M!

Smash Lord
for once i agree with atlus

cuz every time i see darc or w/e ec *** has atlus' avatar...

SuperRad

Smash Master
its a stupid avatar

i mostly just dont like reading people's names tho

whenever i go to a new forum and they have a 'default avatar' or whatever it blows my mind because i think the same person is posting over and over again

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
This school is terrible..

But yeah, when I used to host tournies here a few years back, they were on Fridays as well, and I had decent turn outs then :p

I tend to be busy on weekends, and I don't think I would have time to host on a weekend... It's just that Fridays are convenient for me :]

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Fiction, if you want the full college life with all the parties, dorm life, concerts, etc. Cal Poly isn't the school. If you want to play 3rd Strike and just take your classes/graduate w/e then its a good fit. I don't know how much better SLO is, but I've seen the campus. Its nicer and seems like a "dorm-life" type school, but its kinda in the middle of nowhere. Good luck playing smash there. lol

SuperRad

Smash Master
Cal Poly SLO is a tight school. I don't think there's much of a smash community there, but Gishnak is there and he's the homie.

It seems like it would be a good school to get a good education at as well as have a fun social life (outside of smash).

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Fiction, what major are you planning on taking? I'm currently a 5th year Electrical Engineering Student, and I'm set to graduate Spring '11... 6 year plan ftw :]

I don't like the school due to the amount of increasing budget.. true other school suffers as well, but I've never heard one as bad as Cal Poly.. For example.. cancelling ALL of summer school last year, and this year as well, and only offering classes through Open University, which is 220 dollars per unit x.x And a bunch of other things on top of that :p

I'm thinking bout hosting a tourney on the 23rd of this month, just to see how turn outs are, and if I/you guys like it, I'll see bout making a bi/triweekly :]

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I'm majoring in computer science. I'm thinking about going to UC Riverside though I got accepted there too 0_o

Little England

Smash Master
UCR is a better school, but most of my friends that go there (that commute) don't like it much. Most that live on campus like it. UCR is ok. This is all really hard for me to say, cause I could be selfish and hype up Cal Poly and UCR so that I can play you, but I'm trying to give you a non-biased opinion lol.

My thing with UCs is, that they are so expensive that you might as well go to school OoS. It's a much better experience to go away for school, at least 2 hours away from home at the bare minimum.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I heard Cal Poly is making incoming freshmen live in the dorms first year x.x

One of my buddy is a CS major, no complaints about CS from him yet.. He's currently a 4th year. If you do decide to goto Cal Poly, this site should be your bible: www.gradecalpoly.com I'm surprised how many people haven't heard of it :]

Little England

Smash Master
Out of those two, if I were you I'd probably pick Cal Poly. Its closer to stuff and its more affordable. But I don't know what you want out of your school though so...ya

LOL Kanzaki, I live by gradecalpoly. It's completely ******** how they don't tell you about that site at orientation. The most important thing about getting good grades in college is getting a decent professor for your classes, and THEN the effort you put into the class.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Riverside is hot as ****, and it's called UCRejects for a reason(no offense to any UCR students ^^)

I got accepted there without applying to it o.O

But yeah... I dislike Pomona with a passion as well.. But out of the 2, I'd just Pomona, due to it being cheaper.. I don't know how the CS department is in either school as well, you should really look into that before you make your choice.

Little England

Smash Master
/rant (Adam has rubbed off on me)

Alsoooo, Kanzaki and I are sounding reeeeeeally off putting when it comes to college. College is a gajillion times better than high school man, no matter where you go (for the most part). I don't mean to speak for Kanzaki as well, but I think we are just talking about these schools comparatively. But options are bad in California as a whole. /failconomy

Adam M!

Smash Lord
california is possibly the best state in the country to go to for school

ucr is legit. ask evilnemesis about it. i never went to school there but ive gone there enough times and the campus is legit.

cal poly is a commuter school so you wont get much of that social college atmosphere, tho the more you try the more successful you will be. ucr is also one of the top ranked schools in the country (top 50?), altho i dont know how it is in whateve specific program you'll be entering

but heck after watching zeitgeist **** school

Gishnak

Smash Ace
Okay ******* you can't call Cal Poly Pomona "Cal Poly."

If you just say Cal Poly it means Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. We're the original, and actually a reputable school.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
**** you it's cal poly. i've been to slo, ALL IT HAS IS WEED

CAL POLY HAS WEED.... AAAAAAND THE FAIR

Top Bottom