• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who to main with Luigi?

FlipX

Smash Ace
I didn't see a post like this yet, but I may have missed one. I just started playing brawl like earlier this week (lol) but i had a pretty sick luigi in melee and he felt fairly easy to pick up and play in brawl so I went with it. The general question is who should I main along with luigi. From what i've read in the character match-up thread luigi has his work cut out for him against the higher tiers. What character(s) play good against some of luigis tougher match-ups?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Most guys use GW on the boards (at least from what I've seen). I only use him to take care of my nasty matchups really.

FlipX

Smash Ace
What characters do you go G&W against?
From what i've seen, or read rather, is that D3 is luigis worst match-up. You guys should keep on going with the match-up thread because it is really helpful. I would contribute to it, but since I have no idea what im talking about I don't think it would be that great =P

WIGI

Smash Champion
or instead you can be good and just learntoplay those bad matchups. i really not a fan of picking up a high tier to fight the high tiers cuz then everyone wil end up playing high tiers

FlipX

Smash Ace
Yes, I could put a lot of work in to overcome a hard matchup. Lets face it though, why not just have someone who can clean up the mess without you having to get your hands dirty. For example in melee, sure I could take my luigi up against a marth and for the whole game id be wave shielding and trying to force his lagged attacks so I could dash in and grab/smash or w/e depending on his percent. Or I could pick up shiek and have a safer route to win. I understand this is the luigi boards and the point is to get better with luigi, but if you want to win tournaments having a back up plan can never hurt right?

With that being said, I like Kinzers idea of using MK because i've been told that "everyone has a good MK" =P but I guess ill wait to see if he gets banned or not. Also who else has a good match-up against D3?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I use GW against ICs when I'm playing for rep or something >_>...I can't beat them with Luigi just yet.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Samus, DK, Mario, and Bowser are great againt DDD. I recommend them when facing a D3 for sure.
I was planning on practicing G&W for my secondary, but is Mario really that good against D3, because I like playing with Mario.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I was planning on practicing G&W for my secondary, but is Mario really that good against D3, because I like playing with Mario.
I'm sorry for that back joke. Everyone I listed AND Luigi can be Infinite Grabbed by DDD. They're bad picks against D3.

G&W is good, and can't be infinite grabbed.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i use luigi as a main and kirby/wario as secondaries

My only real problem is King D3's

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I'm sorry for that back joke. Everyone I listed AND Luigi can be Infinite Grabbed by DDD. They're bad picks against D3.

G&W is good, and can't be infinite grabbed.
Yeah, one day I'll be part of an inside joke! :)

But, I tried Mario vs. D3 and I did better than usual. But now I just use Falco, because he can spam projectiles and his range is good.

You know when I read that post I thought "this goes against everything I've been taught, why Mario??"
But I was going to take your word for it because you are obviously more experienced than me...

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Honestly this time, the best secondaries for a serious Luigi main are easily
1) Roy
2) Doc
3) Mewtwo

All of these cover his bad matchups pretty well.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Honestly this time, the best secondaries for a serious Luigi main are easily
1) Roy
2) Doc
3) Mewtwo

All of these cover his bad matchups pretty well.
But none of them are in brawl, so how can Luigi be protected from Dedede from these characters?!
Those could be similar to:
Ike
Mario
Lucario

I'm not being fooled again.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Zelda of course! Or Peach or Mewtwo mentioned above

Top Bottom