• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who thinks the name "BRAWL" stinks?

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Three disclaimers:

1. I don't necessarily hate the name.
2. My apologies if this topic has been done to death already without my knowing it.
3. Yes, I realize it might be a bit late bring this up.

So anyway, I guess the name "Brawl" fits well enough in most ways, but it really just doesn't roll off the tongue. I mean, an "r" and an "l" in just one syllable doesn't make for a snappy ring. When I first got wind of the new site called "Smash Bros. Dojo" I thought (like many other idiots) that this was also the games new name. I was pretty content with that, and just accepted it whole-heartedly.

When I saw the trailer a short while later, and realized my mistake, well... I was too excited to care, but it definitely didn't click with me. Now, here we are more than 10 months later, and I still haven't been able to let the name "Brawl" into my heart. I don't mind it, but every time I say it I sort of subconsciously cringe at the way it sounds. With Melee, I didn't have any expectations as to how they would name it, and honestly I don't think I even knew the name until it was released. (I can't remember now.) It was kind of weird, but definitely sounds better with the extra syllable. The announcer guy in the intro makes it seem cool anyway.

So you may ask yourself, and probably have, "What would be a better name?" I have no good answer, but for starters, we could take the Japanese version as an example, and just call it "Super Smash Brothers X" Not perfect, but I doubt it would hinder in anyway.

What word could be used to replace "Brawl" and still basically mean the same thing? Well, maybe there isn't one, (Fracas? No thanks!) but then going back to the website... Super Smash Brothers Dojo, has has a pretty nice sound to it, and would aid in the "new atmosphere" Sakurai said he wants for the game. Instead of just a random beat-down (hey, not a bad idea; SSB: Beat-Down! JK) or brawl, we step up to a higher plane of fighting, and fight in a very skilled and technical way by learning in a "Dojo." Well, you get my drift.

Since this is probably just Nintendo's localization team coming up with the name, I wonder if enough people complained, they would consider an alternative, or some kind of vote. (Doubt it, but crazy things can happen.)

What say you? Ideas? Comments? (I'll be thinking of a couple more ideas to post also.)

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
It's quite possible that the localization team is just thinking of synonyms for "melee" for future installments :laugh: . I know what you mean though, I can't imagine the announcer saying "Super Smash Bros.....BRAAAAAAWWWWLLLLL!" Sounds a little alien to me.

What's the subtitle in Japan? "Great Fray" or something?

Sensai

Smash Master
It's due to the fact that you have to say the letter 'b' right before Brawl, and it just sounds weird.

I don't dislike the name, really. I figure we'll all just call it 'Smash' or 'Brawl' when it comes out, so what's it matter?

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
It's quite possible that the localization team is just thinking of synonyms for "melee" for future installments :laugh: . I know what you mean though, I can't imagine the announcer saying "Super Smash Bros.....BRAAAAAAWWWWLLLLL!" Sounds a little alien to me.

What's the subtitle in Japan? "Great Fray" or something?
Ha, REEAL creative there NOA! Looking names up in the dictionary! Ha, yeah, that's what I'm figuring went down too. I think you're right about the Japanese title, but sometimes I think they just use "X" maybe, although I remember seeing "Great Fray" too, so... probably both then. Maybe their name sucks even worse. Super Smash Brothers: Great Fray X! (Even though in Japanese it's even longer.)

It's due to the fact that you have to say the letter 'b' right before Brawl, and it just sounds weird.

I don't dislike the name, really. I figure we'll all just call it 'Smash' or 'Brawl' when it comes out, so what's it matter?
It doesn't. It's just a big happenin' opinion bash, and everyone's invited! (bash as in party) Hey what about Super Smash Brothers: BASH! (Sorry.) And yeah, I'll be OK with it, it's just not something that would seem to stand the test of time... like it just isn't catchy or super awesome, but it works just fine and if the game rocks, I really won't care too much cause like you said, I just call it Smash anyway.

Super Smash Brothers: Rockem Sockem! Super Smash Brothers: Kill Fest! Super Smash Brothers: Blood Bath! LOL, I couldn't help it!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I thought 'Brawl' was perfect when I saw it. ...Did any one see that site that thought it might be called 'Super Smash Bros. Rumpus' by any chance? I'm just glad we're not all saying RUMPUS...

...rumpus

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
^^^OH MAN, THANK YOU! I have now found a new appreciation for the name BRAWL! Man, we would be the laughing stock of the whole gaming community were it called that silly butt-sounding name!

(What is a laughing stock?)

DarkFr0g

Smash Apprentice
Be glad that they made English versions of the name. Otherwise we'd have to call it this:

SSB - Nintendō Ōrusutā! Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu
SSBM - DX Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Derakkusu
SSBB - X Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Ekkusu

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
What I don't get is the Japanese, and their *******ization of English words! OK, I kinda get it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. "Sumasshu Burazāzu"??? I don't think that's Japanese. It's like their way of making it easier to say "Smash Brothers." They do this with loads of words. Famicom = Family Computer? OK, so I can't think of many examples, but if your're really into games and Anime, (and Japanese culture in general) you'll know what I mean.

Maybe they are actually careful not to mix their slogany made up words with real English, but I don't know...

It's like they think English is cool... but only cool enough to mock and mangle. I guess there's probably examples of us doing the same thing to Spanish and other languages, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it is their. (Or so it seems.) Anyway, done with my little rant now.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
I've always enjoyed Engrish terms, but I'm glad they've taken care not to make Smash titles outlandish. "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" is a dubious to say, but who's going to say the whole title? People will continue to refer to it as Smash or Brawl. Before the title was announced, Brawl was probably the best candidate for the tagline. How about SSB: Fracas or Tussle? Brawl sounds good to me.

Sensai

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros. Skirmish? I always enjoyed that one...

Super Smash Bros.: GIVE HIM THE CHAIR! That's the best one. Period. End of discussion.

P.Vanity

Smash Ace
Anyone else noticed that on the back of the melee box it says "get ready to BRAWL" - Think this is just a coincedence(dunno how to spell that word) or you think thhey knew there was going to be a third one, and the title was going to be brawl.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else noticed that on the back of the melee box it says "get ready to BRAWL" - Think this is just a coincedence(dunno how to spell that word) or you think thhey knew there was going to be a third one, and the title was going to be brawl.
Ha, yeah, I think I saw that too, and no I doubt it. It's just the fact that like the naming of "Brawl" they just took a dictionary and looked for a synonym for Melee, because "Get ready to Melee" didn't sound right to them.

If only they had put that much thought into it. ;) You give Nintendo a tiny bit too much credit.

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
What I don't get is the Japanese, and their *******ization of English words! OK, I kinda get it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. "Sumasshu Burazāzu"??? I don't think that's Japanese. It's like their way of making it easier to say "Smash Brothers." They do this with loads of words. Famicom = Family Computer? OK, so I can't think of many examples, but if your're really into games and Anime, (and Japanese culture in general) you'll know what I mean.

Maybe they are actually careful not to mix their slogany made up words with real English, but I don't know...

It's like they think English is cool... but only cool enough to mock and mangle. I guess there's probably examples of us doing the same thing to Spanish and other languages, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it is their. (Or so it seems.) Anyway, done with my little rant now.
I may be wrong, but i think it's because the Japanese language is alot more phonetic then English, so when they try to say English words their alphabet just can't handle it, so they obstruct it untill they can fit it in as to avoid introducing all kinds of foreign letters and symbols.

flammableoranges

Smash Rookie
nearly the whole japanese language consists of symbols representing a consonant sound followed by a vowel or just a vowel.

for example: o hi o go za i ma su (good morning)

each of these sections would be a different symbol.

In the way the english language uses sushi, tsunami and kamikaze which are japanese words. Japanese often use english words, but because japanese isn't as flexible as english and has these set sounds the english words have to be changed slightly to fit.

examples: ju su(juice), ki bo do(keyboard)

there are some exceptions to these rules but I won't really get into that.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
It'll all come down to the end of the opening movie when the announcer says it. Then again, he can make everything sound awesome.

FIXED CAMERA!!!OoooOOOOoooohhh....

greenblob

Smash Lord
I may be wrong, but i think it's because the Japanese language is alot more phonetic then English, so when they try to say English words their alphabet just can't handle it, so they obstruct it untill they can fit it in as to avoid introducing all kinds of foreign letters and symbols.
Assuming that Japanese Engrish is similar to Korean Engrish, it'd be something like this:

Long syllables don't exist. "Smash" would have to be broken up since you can't say that in one syllable. It'd be "S ma sh" and since you need vowels, "seu mah she" or something like that. The "u" you see at the end in a lot of Engrish is really a very soft u. Example: Link -> Rinkku. It's more like Rin-keuh.
Same with "brothers." It'd be "b ro ther s" would would turn into "beuh ruh zuhr sue" without having your tongue between your teeth as you say it (it's hard to put into English letters).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It'll all come down to the end of the opening movie when the announcer says it. Then again, he can make everything sound awesome.

FIXED CAMERA!!!OoooOOOOoooohhh....
I agree.If he can drag "brothers" out for ages and make it still sound cool, he can make Brawl sound awsome too. (Siiiingle button!)

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Interesting explanations guys, especially the no long syllables. Hadn't heard it put that way before. And since we're already off topic... I'm wondering though why sometimes in Anime, they will say "ohayo gozaimasu" (good morning) but sometimes the "u" is not at all present, and sometimes it is stressed quite clearly. Is this just the speakers choice as to how proper he/she wants to say the word? Maybe it's like in Naruto, (Japanese version) when they say Sasuke's name, they don't usually say the full and deliberate "SA SU KE," it usually sounds like "SA SKE" (saw-su-kay vs. saw-skay, for those not familiar) It's like the middle syllable is ALMOST there, or implied, but really not said. Just kind of a shortcut for speaking fast or something. Anyway, it just seems that it's not always the same for many different words, English, or Japanese, and I'm wondering what the root reason is. Practicality, limited ability to wrap their minds (or tongues) around certain sounds/groups of sounds concepts, or in some cases just their being uninformed/not well practiced? (Much how your average American cannot understand anything about Japanese.) Heh.

So yeah, the name "Brawl" is questionable... ;)

I agree, the announcer guy (if he even makes a return) could really make or break the title for me... well, since it's sort of "broke" already, I hope he can "make" it for me. They may realize it sounds weird, and not have him do a big voiced title announcement. Maybe Just the "Super Smash Brothers" bit, and then "Brawl" rips across the screen a moment after, without need of voice.

Super Smash Brothers: Blood in Your Urine! (SSBBIYU)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think it should be called Super Smash Brothers Smash or Super Smash Brothers Super Smash or Super Smash Brother Fight.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Super Smash Brothers Domestic Dispute.

What? Everyone had to be thinking it.

Mario and Peach's relationship is all for show, and really, when Guido comes down from the mushrooms, he comes down hard.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
I think it should be called Super Smash Brothers Smash or Super Smash Brothers Super Smash or Super Smash Brother Fight.
Ahhh, ahhh! I'm liking in the "Super Smash Brothers Fight," but you forgot Super Smash Brothers: Super Smash Brothers. That's a winner. Aaaaanyway...

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a great name. I really like it. Melee was a bit weak, because it has multiple (correct) English pronunciations.

The 'u', following a Japanese syllable ending with 'o', continues the 'o' sound. So, "ohayou" is often shortened to "ohayo", but there are really two syllables worth of 'o' at the end there. Normally, though, 'u' is pronounced as the 'u' in "tube".

Malificent

Smash Apprentice
Oh's No's its the Nintendo Wii discussion all over again! People hated Nintendo for renaming the Revolution, Wii. If im not mistaken we had this HUGE debate, about the Wii name. That is all this is. Now correct me if I am wrong, but the Wii is a beautiful system. Looks sexy, plays very well, better than we all imagined. The only thing we hated was the name. So does it honestly matter what the sub: name for Super Smash Brothers is? As long as it plays well, what does it matter? it could be named "Super Smash Brothers: Fist In Your Face", would it matter. Its not like the name makes the game good.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Brawl is fine because, as the announcer shouts the title at the end of the intro, he can slur it into the words "for all". Just as this Smash Brothers is for everybody young and old, gay and straight and puerto-rican. It doesn't matter.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a great name. I really like it. Melee was a bit weak, because it has multiple (correct) English pronunciations.

The 'u', following a Japanese syllable ending with 'o', continues the 'o' sound. So, "ohayou" is often shortened to "ohayo", but there are really two syllables worth of 'o' at the end there. Normally, though, 'u' is pronounced as the 'u' in "tube".
So that goes for "gozaimasu" too then I guess. In "ohayo gozaimasu" I was just talking about the u in "gozaimasu." Anyway.

Oh's No's its the Nintendo Wii discussion all over again! People hated Nintendo for renaming the Revolution, Wii. If im not mistaken we had this HUGE debate, about the Wii name. That is all this is. Now correct me if I am wrong, but the Wii is a beautiful system. Looks sexy, plays very well, better than we all imagined. The only thing we hated was the name. So does it honestly matter what the sub: name for Super Smash Brothers is? As long as it plays well, what does it matter? it could be named "Super Smash Brothers: Fist In Your Face", would it matter. Its not like the name makes the game good.
Except the the word Wii is easily said, and easily marketed. Brawl is, well... good enough. My whole point was that they didn't seem to put in a lot of effort. It's like, lets just crap out a title for the possibly best game ever. "Wii" obviously had thought put into it, and I'm sure there were naysayers within Nintendo that had to be convinced, but eventually they worked it out. It was probably like a few guys that came up with Brawl, and then got the stamp of approval from Sakurai/Iwata, who probably don't care how the English name sounds. All English probably sounds awkward to them. Just wishing the name was slightly more creative or something... something that would spark my imagination to even a small degree. Well, that's my opinion after all, and like I've already said, Brawl is good enough, and I'm not going to pout about it. Just a little discussion that's all.

Sensai

Smash Master
Super Smash Brothers Domestic Dispute.
LOL

How about Super Smash Bros.: Ye Olde Motha ****a's Baby! That way, they could bring in the hardcore gamer, the black demographic, the elderly, fanboys, and the very large single-white-woman-with-child demo.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
^^LOL! I'm not touching that one! Ha!

EDIT: Everyone can just call me "Lava" for short, check out my sig. (First part's actually a signature :laugh:)

Rash

Smash Ace
The name works for what the game is going for, and it rolls off the tongue easily. Don't know any name that would've been better.

Duopierce

Smash Rookie
Honestly, for the past 4 years I was hoping the game would be called "Chaos". The mere fact I was wrong on that has hindered my ability to enjoy the name "Brawl". Another factor is that the new name seems to lack the finesse of "Melee".

Top Bottom