• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who should i watch.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
hey fellow g-dorf enthusiasts i was wondering who has some good videos of ganon to learn from. ive been looking for some names and i found a couple of magus and eddie but im just looking for some more videos to watch because i just need alittle help with my mindgames. i main fox and totally rip all of my friends up but my ganon sometimes lacks (except against falco's for some reason it destroys falco) in the mindgame department because im so used to playing fast that when i slow it down i cant think. so yeah just drop some names of some good ganondorfs and ill be on my merry f-airing day.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
rofl all of those ledge guards were vicious. now if you suck with ganondorf i cant imagine who your good with haha. it looks to me like were around the same level but you would probably win if we ditto'ed. do you live in the tri state area it would be awesome to ganon ditto you.

chaddd

Smash Lord
rofl all of those ledge guards were vicious. now if you suck with ganondorf i cant imagine who your good with haha. it looks to me like were around the same level but you would probably win if we ditto'ed. do you live in the tri state area it would be awesome to ganon ditto you.
Same level, huh? It was one video, man.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Don't be offended Chaddd, it is possible for another Ganondorf to be close to as good as you.
I'm not offended so much as surprised that so many people can base their skill level off of a video of someone else. And seeing as you have no idea how good I am at all, I'm not sure you're qualified to say that.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
haven't watched the videos yet, but in general up to a certain point you can base skill level off a video as long as its current and the guy wasn't sandbagging. I mean it's the same reason that some videos i can't watch more than 20 sec of when people post on the marth forums asking for help. I'm worried i'll pick up bad habits or start making the same mistakes and bad approaches and calls that they do.

Now granted, i think it gets a lot harder to judge off videos the higher up the people are in skill...differences between pro players come down to mostly mind games and reading better

that said, i just finished watching the video and i've concluded that i don't know ganondorf well enough to judge it very well, you aren't n00bs at least;p anyways, back to the marth forums

chaddd

Smash Lord
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm sorry to tell you that you can't judge anything about someone from a video. Some of the most amazing events of my smash career avoided being put online because of television choices at tournaments(for example, my matches with Tipman last week).

But any scrub can get on youtube and watch some Captain Jack and say things like "they can see his mindgames" and "I wouldn't mess up that much...", whatever it may be. This has happened in my state more than several times. All I'm saying is, a video can give you a good look at someone's style, but you don't know so many things about the player that you can't say anything about them. You don't know whether they cared a lot about the outcome, you don't know their mind games (the most subtle mind games are not simply viewed in a video), and you don't know what reactions they would have to whatever you would do. My state tried to base Nite's(the mid south falco monster) skill off of as many videos as we could find. We weren't exactly impressed by his most recent videos, but despite that, he came here and wrecked us because of it. The only comments that can be made towards a person's skill based on a video is asking what they think they should have done, not assuming so many things about them despite so many variables.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I'm not offended so much as surprised that so many people can base their skill level off of a video of someone else. And seeing as you have no idea how good I am at all, I'm not sure you're qualified to say that.
I know that you cannot judge a person's mindgame and prediction ability until you play them yourself, but technical work is very judgable. I watched your vid and was very impressed, your Ganon has gotten much better since I last saw. You used a lot of the techniques I use and in the same situations, but your timing was definately better, and your technical work, especially ledge dashing, was excellent. You should just let people assume they are better than you, cuz then it feels so much better when you 4-stock them and crush their dreams :laugh:

This is a great match between Masashi and Captain Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biiRBEAhYL4

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i get where you're coming from, but i have to say you can tell how bad someone is from a video, just it's much harder to tell if they're merely ok or great. I mean you can definitely judge how a person reacted to certain things in a video, for example laser camping by fox. Or as a marth player i can definitely judge a poor approach from a good one, mindgames are harder to see, but if you play a match in slow mo and think about it from both perspectives you can definitely see a lot of that too. I tend to watch certain sections of pro matches in slow mo as i try to figure out why the two players made the decisions they did.

another thing you can definitely judge mistaken calls, when fox run in and rushes a marth from above with no concern for the fact that marth has insane priority above him, then you know that the fox is a n00b, and any calls of how that blind charge is a mindgame are thrown into question because a good marth player would just swipe them out of the sky on reaction.

Anyways, i find it extremely easy to tell the players who are substantially worse than me, and extremely easy to tell how much better the pros are at reading and mind games compared to me. I think the hard place to judge is when people are at near the same skill level.

However, i agree with one thing; the greatest flaw in videos is how hard it is to tell whether the player was taking it serious or not...sometimes i fall asleep in friendlies if it's like the 40th match or something

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how to say this, chaddd, but you have great "anticipation" of moves. Loved the utilt KO in the vid. I guess that's part of the "reading mindgames" too.

Top Bottom