• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who mained roy?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
His aerials aren't that bad compared to the rest of his game.

Milordog: Pretty much every other character.

handsockpuppet: Um, what do you think "better" is? Samus' and Roy's wavedashes are similar in length, but Samus has a faster jump which makes her's much more applicable. Roy's has a freakin' slow jump, so his wavedash can't be used for movement and it limits a lot of what he can do with it. (His waveland is good, on the other hand.)

Bowser's wavedash doesn't take him anywhere, making it near useless. Fox's wavedash is decent, and it's even better because he has so many uses for it. Samus, Marth, IC's and Mewtwo all have MUCH better wavedashes. They're all faster and are much more worthwhile.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
His aerials aren't that bad compared to the rest of his game.

Milordog: Pretty much every other character.

handsockpuppet: Um, what do you think "better" is? Samus' and Roy's wavedashes are similar in length, but Samus has a faster jump which makes her's much more applicable. Roy's has a freakin' slow jump, so his wavedash can't be used for movement and it limits a lot of what he can do with it. (His waveland is good, on the other hand.)

Bowser's wavedash doesn't take him anywhere, making it near useless. Fox's wavedash is decent, and it's even better because he has so many uses for it. Samus, Marth, IC's and Mewtwo all have MUCH better wavedashes. They're all faster and are much more worthwhile.
can anyone explain to me why Roy's wavedash is behind Marth's? They're not much different, and i always thought they were even. the list goes by how good they are, not how useful.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
can anyone explain to me why Roy's wavedash is behind Marth's? They're not much different, and i always thought they were even. the list goes by how good they are, not how useful.
good wavedash =/= long wavedash

The list goes by how long they are. Marth's and Mewtwo's are both a bit longer. Maybe it's because Marth's traction is lower, but that's only a guess.

In terms of actual goodness, Roy's would be much lower.

Milordog1

Smash Cadet
I see Yellow people...who can't recover good with roy...i can...hate everybody elses' recoveries...Marth is a roy wannabe.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
The list goes by how long they are. Marth's and Mewtwo's are both a bit longer. Maybe it's because Marth's traction is lower, but that's only a guess.

In terms of actual goodness, Roy's would be much lower.
I think Mewtwo's is slower though...

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
I beg to differ (still). Name a charcter with a better recovery (plain or combo). Unless you're just talking about ^b and not the combo...:dizzy:
Every single charecter in the game has a better recovery apart from falco and possibly doc (this is debatible but not by much) The >b tactic you were talking about only works once in the air and then fails to give any extra horizontal distance. Roy drops like a rock and can very rarely recover from offscreen unless high up.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This is impossible. As you said, air-dodges are the same except their invincibility duration. They give the characters the same amount of momentum, so the only thing affecting their wavedash is their traction; thus, each character has identical initial velocity given a perfect wavedash, but traction affects their negative acceleration.

Basically, it's impossible to have a "slower" wavedash unless you're talking about longer jump times making it slower to start a wavedash.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I don't think his jump is quite as slow.

I exaggerated a little; Roy's wavedash isn't bad at all, it's just not that good (compared to other mid/long wavedashes). It's average; it can be used for mindgames and spacing, doesn't really increase his speed by much (other than eliminating running lag), and he doesn't have a character specific use for it.

Milordog1

Smash Cadet
The >b tactic you were talking about only works once in the air and then fails to give any extra horizontal distance. Roy drops like a rock and can very rarely recover from offscreen unless high up.
Maybe i recover most of the time because i'm blasted high up...:embarrass

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
iunno, it just looked slower to me for some reason. and for recovery, besides the fact they have another second jump out of the downB, falcon's and dorf's recovery doesn't appear much better. but then again Roy falls faster (I think).

Shirogitsune

Smash Rookie
My mains have always been interchangeable, but I've decided to stick with Roy after I realized how well he can SHFFL. His aerials are both good and bad in my eyes. They're bad because they don't do adequate damage and are often awkward to sweetspot (like meteor-smashing with Roy's hair); however, they're good because they hardly have any knockback. This, when combined with his speed, can lead to one of my favorite combos: Dtilt to set them up, then a timed SHFFLed up-air crossup that can possibly cancel out my opponent's double jump (not sure if it actually can or if it's just the speed of the combo), letting them fall right into my forward smash from behind for the kill.

A lot of his other aerials don't send people very far, but I've tried using this to my advantage to chain them together, and I've found it to be somewhat effective, especially juggle-SHFFLing the up-air. He's an imperfect character in general, not just in attacks of course, but that's why I'm enjoying maining him.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
people say that and yet his aerials are like a slightly weaker, laggier, and slower version of Marth's aerial which people love so much.

D

Deleted member

Ummm HSP pretty much hit the nail on the head. The only reason people think they are good is cuz their knockback is so horrendus that they can be chained together :p

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Ummm HSP pretty much hit the nail on the head. The only reason people think they are good is cuz their knockback is so horrendus that they can be chained together :p
I liked how you called me HSP because those are my real initials:chuckle:. that's how I got the name.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
so by topic you mean what Roy has going for him. well his range is good...he has high knockback on smashes...he can juggle...he has Teh Phire...yah that's about it.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
ya he does, i was playing with him today and i got really good combos out of him on level 9 opponents but his only flaw would be when he super charges his sword it hurts him
lol at good combos on lvl 9s. lvl 9's just walk/DI towards you all the time. and super charge ftl. crap aerials, crap recovery, crap almost everything.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
True. I hate how fast he falls. I've finally learned that when i try to intercept and end up dying. Other than that i think he's good
I know that most people consider it a bad thing, but I love how fast he falls. I can't stand floaties. they're just not my style.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Roy hmm..????
Why did i pick him??
I Pick roy because he sucks and He Looks cooler then "Marf..."
Majority of the people pick marth over Roy But i decided to be the oddball and pick roy Not because he has the |>(-)eye/23 or the power because he suck in general and i like to make people say WTF?! I lost to ROY!!!!

Overall he is a cool character but not that many kill option's .
Out of all roy players who doesn't use Fsmash as a combo ender .
Anyone here?
Roy just sucks nothing can change that.(Except Nintendo of course.)
But i Main Roy And he is my favorite smash character!!!
Roy lives on Forever Until sheik comes!!!!

Because ROY HAS THE POWER!!!!

Velox

Smash Ace
If you're good at the game, trust me, f-smash is all you need. And no, I'm not talking about comboing into it, though you can. But there are other options.

Dancing blade combo is really really really good.

N-air to edge guard.

D-smash (in some cases).

Counter.

U-throw.

Neutral B.

D-air (kidding).

And anything against Falco/Falcon/Fox/etc.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
If you're good at the game, trust me, f-smash is all you need. And no, I'm not talking about comboing into it, though you can. But there are other options.

Dancing blade combo is really really really good.

N-air to edge guard.

D-smash (in some cases).

Counter.

U-throw.

Neutral B.

D-air (kidding).

And anything against Falco/Falcon/Fox/etc.
Againist the FF.
Anymove is good againist the FF.
example U-Air
And F-tilt

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
People didn't "choose Marth over Roy", they chose Marth over 25 other characters. Marth happens to be a high to top tier character, and so a very good character to pick up. You don't have to "choose" between them, just pick a character and play it.

And, um... Sheik isn't Roy's only counter you know...

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i mained him for very long just because i started with him and chose him instead of marth i also wanted to be an oddball and own all the marths but in the end i quited and started again with marth

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
i mained him for very long just because i started with him and chose him instead of marth i also wanted to be an oddball and own all the marths but in the end i quited and started again with marth
good job;)

Sheik is one of roy's major counters.
ANd the Ice Climbers are the second major counter.
IC have the advantage over the Roy, but I wouldn't call them his second counter. I think that Luigi is Roy's second counter. Luigi is extremely floatie and has better aerials then Roy in every way.

Top Bottom