• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Is Your Secondary and Why?

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
I am looking at finding a secondary and was wondering who your secondaries are and why you chose them.

XCounter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CrossCounter
3DS FC
2981-7233-0181
This thread might help you come to a decision: http://smashboards.com/threads/secondaries.388901/

I was originally going to use Pikachu and Sonic, but I stopped enjoying using Sonic and Pikachu takes a huge amount of effort to master so it didn't make sense for me to use him just as a secondary.

I picked up Sheik a few days ago and it's going well so far. I chose her because she'll have a much better time dealing with Diddy, Sonic and Rosalina & Luma than Ness, she can be used effectively offensively and defensively and she can do some pretty flashy things.

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
I'm trying to make Mega Man work for some reason. Apparently I like working really hard to deal mediocre damage with difficult KO options. /sigh

I bet I'll pick up Lucas after Evo. He was my main in Brawl afterall!

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
I use Falcon, Megaman, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff for my secondaries. They pretty much cover everything that I can't cover with Ness.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Lucas, because the most skill transfers between him and Ness, but I tend to stick to characters with the same weight/size/speed as Ness.

That said, I find myself gravitating to ROB, Pac-Man, and Mr. Game & Watch, but winning with them is a lot harder. The skill gap between my Ness/Lucas and all other characters is pretty wide.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Mega Man, Jigglypuff and Luigi are characters I like to go to, sometimes Fox as well. I use Palutena as well, but I don't really feel like she fixes anything that Ness struggles with; she's mostly used due to being fun.

I can certainly see myself gravitating toward Lucas once he comes out. He was just too fun in Brawl, and he looks even more-so now.

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Falcon because he is a rush down character that can handle faster characters like sheik (bad matchup for ness)
I also use Olimar because he has a much bigger range for his projectile then Ness does. Also he has disjointed hitboxes. ❤

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
I was struggling with this until recently. I feel alot of ppl are too quick to switch to a secondary on a bad MU. Part of having ness as my main is I find ways around his so called bad MUs and honestly they are some of my most exciting matches. Missing this aspect i feel your not fully maturing your main as much as you could / should. This game is all about adapting on the fly and i think some ppl get discouraged too quickly when they cant play their character the cookie-cutter way they're used to.

So even though i feel ive found some clarity its more confusing to explain. I can play a large portion of the cast and have fun with them but i dont feel i have a true secondary and im finally ok with that. Lucas will likely change that however.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I think I've picked up Kirby as a reliable secondary now. He covers Ness's weaknesses: nice downwards aerial pressure, good smash attacks, harder to edgeguard. I think an underused secondary is probably the best, so as to not switch into a character that your opponent has alot of experience against.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I think I've picked up Kirby as a reliable secondary now. He covers Ness's weaknesses: nice downwards aerial pressure, good smash attacks, harder to edgeguard. I think an underused secondary is probably the best, so as to not switch into a character that your opponent has alot of experience against.
When I break out the Mii Gunner, the world forgets how to play the game.
Also, Mii Gunner outranges Mega Man, doesn't have to deal with Luigi's grab BS, and is less scared of Sonic's hit and run style.

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
@ Earthbound360 Earthbound360

Out of curiosity what size/weight and set do you prefer for your mii gunner?

Its cool you have such a random secondary, hopefully miis continue to become more accepted in the future as I imagine it must suck being so limited to its uses.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
@ Earthbound360 Earthbound360

Out of curiosity what size/weight and set do you prefer for your mii gunner?

Its cool you have such a random secondary, hopefully miis continue to become more accepted in the future as I imagine it must suck being so limited to its uses.
I just use the default because I'm not into customs.

But 3112 short and wide is easily my favorite if you let me customize. A small Mii can use 2 fairs in on full hop, and SH uair with no landing lag.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
With customs on, Mii gunner can get out of control really fast.
Maximize offense and stack critical hits then take on single player modes... lol.
The "Fox Laser" in this setup can do around 40% per shot when criticals stack.
I just tested it, and my gunner got the sandbag to 150% in 5 full seconds.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, there's a difference between customs and equipment. Equipment is just silly. Customs are... also silly to an extent, but no where near as bad.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I've been using Mii Swordfighter a lot when not playing as Ness, mostly because I just like that Mii Fighter class the most.

If not him, my secondary is Ike. I didn't pick him up because I thought he'd cover Ness' weaknesses, but I think I heard somewhere that the Ike vs. Sonic MU isn't so bad, though I'm a bit skeptical about that.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I think Kodystri basically mains Mii Gunner as well as Ness now. He's been doing work on smashladder with it.

I'm kinda iffy on training up a Mii as a secondary since it can't be used in For Glory. I don't really have a scene where I am living at the moment :(.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
I've been thinking about picking up a secondary, but I feel as though my desire for one has been waning as of late. In every game prior to sm4sh, I've been a Ness 'purist', if you will, and I may or may not keep it that way.

Though if I had to pick one based off of usage, It would have to be Pika.

Uffe

Smash Hero
My secondary is Samus, which has nothing to do with dealing with bad match ups, because I think Ness can hold his own. I have her as a secondary because my brother used her in the previous Smash games and he doesn't have this one, so I'm using her as well. She's also cool.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Ness and Sheik is probably the best combination of mains possible in this game, they literally cover each other pretty well.

For me, I second Ness because I like the character and he does decent against some MUs that I don't like using Yoshi (mostly Pikachu, Lucario and Diddy). I also like using Wii Fit Trainer mostly for fun but also as a surprise counterpick to fight against people that doesn't know what the hell she does.

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
I secondary Shulk, although I think my Pac may be surpassing him. I main both characters because I love their games, just as I main Ness cause I love the Mother series.

Hylian42

Smash Rookie
My friend who mains Ness secondaries Zelda. You could also wait for Lucas.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
King Dedede is one of my mains alongside Ness. His uair eats a ridiculous amount of dairs and down specials, so he's handy to use against Bowsers and Links. Not to mention how Gordos are one of the most versatile tools of stage control out there.

Kielhaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
JADbones96
I use toon link or pac-man as secondaries because I find them very fun to use. They're a nice change after playing ness for a few matches.

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
After playing a bunch of Marth in friendlies at a tourney yesterday I really started to like him. I most likely going to be dropping Ike since hes mainly for the Pika/Sonic MU and I'm doing better with Ness than him. Another big reason I'm using Marth is for the Ness match-up because my region has like 7 good Ness players (I'm 3rdish) and Marth does really well against all the Nesses I've played.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
After playing a bunch of Marth in friendlies at a tourney yesterday I really started to like him. I most likely going to be dropping Ike since hes mainly for the Pika/Sonic MU and I'm doing better with Ness than him. Another big reason I'm using Marth is for the Ness match-up because my region has like 7 good Ness players (I'm 3rdish) and Marth does really well against all the Nesses I've played.
Err... I honestly feel like Ness would deal with himself better than Marth would.

ShuckleBoard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShuckleBoard
Err... I honestly feel like Ness would deal with himself better than Marth would.
Yeah I like my Ness Ditto play a lot. I just find that Marth really catches people by surprise with Crescent Slash and frame traps. I actually got Magnet gimped in a set against the best Ness in TN and felt like an idiot.

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
Rosaluma, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Link. Yes, I sometimes play Rosaluma.
Get that sig outta here, boy
Yeah I like my Ness Ditto play a lot. I just find that Marth really catches people by surprise with Crescent Slash and frame traps. I actually got Magnet gimped in a set against the best Ness in TN and felt like an idiot.
Marth catches a lot of people by surprise because no one really plays against him. This actually reminds me of this one tournament here in Texas where a :4miisword: got 2nd place, because no one knows how to play against Sword cause no one bothers.

tofusmash

Smash Rookie
I secondary Ness mainly because he is fun to play as, I love the game he comes from, and his pk thunder spam is so fun to use and easily KO's foes, another reason I main ness is because sometimes mewtwo is too light to play with....

Meccs

@Meccs_
I dont use anyone else in tournies but after rotating a lot of different characters into my second spot I'd say my top 3 characters are:
1. Ness
2. Luigi
3. G&W

Luigi is really fun and my Luigi is pretty solid for somebody who plays Ness 90% of the time I'm playing. G&W I like to sandbag with. But I think Luigi and G&W are my 'official' secondaries at this point. Of course Lucas will become my 2nd once he's released tho.

Last edited:

Brendannn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brendannn23
i've been playing with mii brawler a lot(customs) and been finding he handles a lot of ness's unfavorable MUs. Neutral Special 1 destroys Luma and can be really effective against her at a lot of points in the match. He can also break out of a lot of Sheik's combos/strings with nair and jab while killing both these characters extremely early with Up B 2. dont know about sonic though, probably gonna have to pick up mario although wario seems pretty interesting for these characters..

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Still trying to figure out which secondary to focus on. I want somebody who can do horrible things to Rosalina and Sonic, and who is easy for a Ness main to pick up and learn.

Top Bottom