• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your Main and why do you main them?

What is your Playstyle?

• Hyper Agressive

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Agressive

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Aggression : Defensive

Votes: 127 54.7%
  • Defensive

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Turtle Defensive

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Bait n Wait

Votes: 20 8.6%

• Total voters

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I main Charizard with no plans to ever drop him, possibly even continue to solo main him. I haven't mained him since the start of the game, but I've been maining him longer than any other of the characters I have mained. I started off with Greninja in the 3DS days, Charizard was my secondary, so he has always been in my rotation. Greninja was just to cool to not play back in the 3DS days so I mained him until the Wii U version came out.

At this point I didn't get a Wii U at release so I was kind of in limbo for a while and just switched from playing Pikachu, Kirby, and Charizard. This was about the time I realized Charizard was pretty bad, so he was pretty much just a pocket at this point. I still played him a good amount, but I was maining Kirby at this point for a while. Eventually my Pikachu started getting better than my Kirby as I got more practice, despite not having a Wii U still. So I then switched to Pikachu, about 2-3 months after release. After a few months, it seemed my Pikachu had hit it's peak. And I began doing a lot better with Charizard, as he seemed to get minor buffs every patch. Once he got the D-Throw Combo, and U-Throw kill, I started to realize there was no point in me playing Pikachu and to just switch to Charizard. Without a Wii U, I just wasn't able to practice enough to get him down as he is very hard to play. Charizard just fit my style better.

Fast forward almost a year, I finally have a Wii U and am still maining Charizard. I don't care how bad people think he is, there isn't a character on the roster I have nearly as much fun playing, though I do love me some Kirby as well. I really hope we still get some more patches, because I think Charizard is really close to being viable. A little bit more air speed/fast fall speed, and maybe a few frames shaved off some of the start up on his aerials and we mid tier baby.

TL:DR I main Charizard because he's the best.

Whiny

Smash Rookie
:4ryu: I love smash and I love streetfighter. It was the obvious choice. Also because I get bored of characters when I ''master'' them. I've mained :4dedede::4falcon::4luigi: and I mastered their stuff pretty quickly. Not to say i was a god, I just knew how to play them optimally. However Ryu is still a challenge to me, and even tho i've played him since he got released, I am still not even close to mastering him. In fact nobody have even tapped into his full potential, not even trela. Trela is damn close tho.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
I have 3 characters that I consider mains, but if we're talking about only one, then King Dedede. His incredible endurance rewards good DI greatly by being almost impossible to kill until 200% sometimes. He can dish out a lot and has multiple grab follow ups that helps prevent staling a certain aerial. He can make very diverse setups with Gordo Throw, and is just a fun character to play in general. For the other two mains, Toon Link I main thanks to having lots of options with bomb setups, an actually good Boomerang, and because I love Toon Link as a character, and the Wind Waker. Zelda I main due to incredibly satisfying Sweetspots, two great and safe edgeguarding tools, and she flows well with my defensive playstyle.

Stu R

Smash Cadet
My main is Ike because he isn't hard to use and master and also I (unlike most people) love his recovery.

I'm also a half decent Falcon player, I love the timing aspect of the character.

I'm kinda okay as Cloud but I don't get much practice with him (I don't have a WiiU)

LoserPluzsik

Smash Rookie
NNID
PinkieKeen29
It was Meta Knight first because he was one of the OP characters, and I liked Kirby at the time.
Then I mained Mega Man because I will be a long time MM fan.
Now it's Wolf because of his voice in Star Fox 64.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
peach ever since i was a kid when melee came out! i've stayed completely loyal
:peachmelee::peach::4peach:

A creative username

Smash Rookie
I main Ness because this guy is just a savage! Although many hate us for dropping the salt. He can do pretty cool combos, and I just love how when you recover with Up+B, you can send enemies flying. Also, I'm an Earthbound fan. :4ness:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I main :4dk: for two reasons:
  • He's a fun, powerful super heavyweight with 4 meteor smashes and a Ding Dong. Plus, he's fast and rules at breaking shields, making him a good beginner character.
  • Everyone seems to call him inferior to :4bowser: (which I don't agree with) and bash him for being a super heavyweight. He'll always be high-mid to me.

Baron Cappuccino

Smash Rookie
I have a hipster mentality when picking mains, in that I'm compelled to choose the unpopular ones. I also, in Smash at least, feel I should own and play the games the character is from. My coffee shop has been home to a growing CT Sm4sh scene - Rusty Rumble - I think some of my friends who run it post here. Mega Man has been my main since day one, and the only criticism, if that's even the right word, is that I should find a more beginner friendly character to use. I sometimes waver, having tried Pac Man and Duck Hunt briefly, but by virtue of sheer hours invested, I'm best with Mega Man and can't see that changing. I'm just not confident I'll ever learn foot stool combos. We'll see.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Wow, it has been a while since I've posted here, and the characters I play have changed drastically!

:4lucas: I loved him since I played him in Subspace Emissary, and I was excited to see that he would return as DLC to Smash 4. After his buffs, he feels really fluid and natural to me, and I'm glad I tried him out again!
:4marth: Buffs helped, but more than that I just wanted a character that didn't involve complicated button inputs so I could efficiently practice on Smash 3DS when I'm not home, and he felt the best to me.
:4myfriends: I picked him up for the same reason as Marth--easy button inputs so I could play him on the go--but I love how different his playstyle is from Marth, and also his F-air is godlike (people would legitimately complain about it if he had more mobility).
:4pacman: I just can't get over him. No matter how people will think of him, I will always play him for his crazy projectile play that I fell in love with as soon as I picked him up.

A creative username

Smash Rookie
Wow, it has been a while since I've posted here, and the characters I play have changed drastically!

:4lucas: I loved him since I played him in Subspace Emissary, and I was excited to see that he would return as DLC to Smash 4. After his buffs, he feels really fluid and natural to me, and I'm glad I tried him out again!
:4marth: Buffs helped, but more than that I just wanted a character that didn't involve complicated button inputs so I could efficiently practice on Smash 3DS when I'm not home, and he felt the best to me.
:4myfriends: I picked him up for the same reason as Marth--easy button inputs so I could play him on the go--but I love how different his playstyle is from Marth, and also his F-air is godlike (people would legitimately complain about it if he had more mobility).
:4pacman: I just can't get over him. No matter how people will think of him, I will always play him for his crazy projectile play that I fell in love with as soon as I picked him up.
I can understand how good it feels to play Lucas, he's a great character and really fun to play!

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
:4bayonetta: God I love that Banjo won the Smash ballot, its great hes in smash, its not like bayonetta would of won or anything haha, shes too sexy for smash!

(Ok so I might have stopped playing smash for a few months after my salt induced reaction of Corn and Mayo as the last DLC)

:4olimar: Pikmin is my favorite Nintendo game and I get motivation/excitement from people who call him trash
(I'm the best out of all my friends and have won 3 Local tourneys with Oli)

:4marth: I'm just recently trying to learn him as my Secondary, I like his poke and stay away playstyle, plus I thought he might cover Oli's weaknesses

Hasiara

Smash Rookie
I main as Sheik, I love the fast movement and the quick thinking needed for her. Playing as her feels natural and easy, and I like the kind of challenges her character presents when it comes to controlling the fight

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I main three characters in order of least to greatest:

:4ganondorf:, :4myfriends:, & :4cloud2:.

With :4ganondorf:, he's like one of my favorite villains of all time. I've always enjoyed him in Smash Bros. When Brawl came out, he quickly became my main for the longest time until I switched to Wario. He's so much dang fun to play in this series, and especially in Sm4sh where practically every one of his moves can lead to certain death for the foe. Also, Flame Choke = Greatest Move Ever.

As for :4myfriends:, I was introduced to him through Brawl. After a while of being curious about who he was, I took it upon myself to spend a lot of time going through the stories of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. After which, I was impressed by his personality, circumstances, decisions, willingness to learn and go beyond what he knew, and his acceptance of his own flaws and mistakes coupled with his desire to right any of his wrongs with zero hesitation.

Simply put, Ike became one of my all-time favorite game characters because of his CHARACTER. I learned to play him at the end of Brawl's life cycle, I immediately mained him when Sm4sh was released on 3DS, and have stuck with him since.

Finally, :4cloud2:. He's pretty much :4myfriends: but faster.

Joking aside, there's actually a much longer history here.

I have fond memories of an old Playstation 1 game my older brothers played many years ago when I was like 4 or 5 years old. I didn't know what the game was called, but I had distinct memories that the main character used a sword, had Goku-shaped blonde hair with a purple sleeveless karate gi-looking outfit, and he was really blocky looking. This character hopped off of a train and, at one point, after fighting a robot on a giant suspension bridge, fell about a hundred stories to some sort of undercity and survived. I thought he was a really cool character, but couldn't discover who he was since we didn't have the game for too long.

Fast forward a few years later and I end up playing this game Kingdom Hearts, which introduced me to this character Cloud, and ultimately the Final Fantasy series, though by this point I had heard of Final Fantasy in general. (At the time, the only FF game I knew about was 10)

After that, many years had passed had passed, and it was brought to my attention that Final Fantasy 7 was that game from my childhood. And this spiky-haired Cloud guy had been that legendary hero I remembered, but never knew.

Once I learned the truth, I dove into FF7's history: watched the movie, read the story additions, watched gameplay and speedruns of FF7, and then it happened: Cloud was announced as Sm4sh DLC. From that first trailer, I knew he was the character I was going to main: regardless of whether he was good or not.

But he just happened to be good, and he quickly became my best character, and one of which I derive much pleasure and enjoyment from using. I still remember his release week: Too. Freaking. Fun.

He embodies the playstyle that my natural ability leans towards: hyper-aggressive. But at the same time, he doubled as a strongly defensive character. (On a side-note: Because of my playstyle, learning to play Ike in Brawl was really hard for me because of how overly defensive the character had to be played at high-level.)

But it was because of this "training" through playing :ike:, that I learned how to harness my defensive capabilities that allow me to maximize my Cloud usage. Overall, I'd say I'm aggressive now. I used to be hyper-aggressive to a fault until I learned proper defense.

Last edited:

patriot712

Smash Rookie
:4cloud2: What can I say? I love FFVII, I love Dissidia and I love Smash. Cloud's inclusion here was great, I love his moveset, I love his Advent Children outfit, I love.. well, just about everything about him! :love: (no homo)
:4ryu: Since I really like classic 2D/2.5D fighting games, it was a nice surprise to see an actual fighting game character (and one of the most iconic) in Smash. Plus, knocking everyone out with a well delivered Shoryuken is simply satisfying (and even more with the Shinku-Shoryuken). :chuckle:
:4ganondorf: He may be slow, but I just love using him to deliver some hard-as-**** punches and kicks (though I should mention that I mostly use him with custom moves, like "Warlock Blade" and "Flame Chain"). Plus, he's one hell of a badass. The King of Evil indeed :demon:
:4zelda: I know that a lot of people usually places her very low when it comes to tiers and all that, but honestly, I just love playing as her! (though maybe that's because I have a thing for princesses, heh). I especially love using the "Lightning Kick" :smirk:
:4corrin: I love his/her moveset (even if it's a bit broken), and since I was HYPED as sh*t for "Fire Emblem Fates", the fact that Corrin is playable in Smash was like the best thing ever. Besides, playing as a were-dragon is cool on its own right, eh? ;)

CounterRest_

Smash Rookie
I don't really tend to play the game competitively, and I'm really inconsistent with my mains, but as of now my mains are currently Marth and DK. I really like Marth because the spacing on his sword and how effortlessly you can transition through his different aerial attacks, and he's just a very rewarding character to play as in general. It's so satisfying to land a fully charged neutral special off the stage, or landing a KO with his counter. I also enjoy DK because he also seems to get good distance overall with his attacks and manages to balance good ground speed and hitting hard effortlessly.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Samus Aran from the N64 up to the Wii U. I attended a daycare and a friend of mine owned Super Metroid. They had a Super Nintendo at the daycare, so my friend brought Super Metroid. I enjoyed the music and recorded Brinstar on my Talkboy. I wanted Super Metroid for Christmas and ended up receiving it on Christmas day. It was only a natural response to use Samus. I was upset that there wasn't a Metroid game for the N64.

live4luigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
pikaxluigi24
I just started to main Luigi. Because I live for him.
Anyway, I am pretty good with him, his moves are great to me and he's fun to play with, also hitting someone with a super jump punch or misfire is so satisfying, and very rarely his down taunt... heh (Where is the Luigi love)

Last edited:

CircutBreaker

Smash Rookie
:4lucario: Lucario has always been my favorite Pokemon for one. Also Lucario has a unique gameplay style.
:4villager: Villager has great projectiles and he has one of the best recoveries.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
:4lucario: Lucario has always been my favorite Pokemon for one. Also Lucario has a unique gameplay style.
:4villager: Villager has great projectiles and he has one of the best recoveries.
Ironically enough, Lucario was my very first main in Smash 4 and Villager is my current main! :p

Rran

Smash Apprentice
:4palutena: Primarily due to my love for KI: Uprising. I know, I know... she's pretty far down on the tier list, but I've just become so accustomed to her playstyle that I struggle using other characters in comparison (also, even though they're not tournament-friendly, I REALLY love her customs).
:4villager: Love his projectiles, and I especially enjoy using him in team battles w/ friends.
:4lucas:He's kinda my go-to character against the heavy-hitters in the game. I dunno why... I just seem to perform better, and his PK Fire is a great f*** off move lol

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
:4charizard: And :4rob:.

I like how I can play these two characters for just 20 mins per two days or longer and have great maintenance with them. Low-execution barrier characters that allows me to do what I want to do, really fundamental characters.

Like a SF OG coming back and bustin heads with guile from playin him for years or sum.

Last edited:

Savantharius

Smash Rookie
My main is Samus. After I finished exploring the content of the game I decided to go get a main. To put it simply: I didn't have any luck with most of them. Gameplay wise, I don't really remember when or why exactly, but I just started to play Samus and... honestly? I'm glad I did: she's the only character that feels right when I play and the only one I truly enjoy and wouldn't mind striving to be a good player with her.

Maybe it was the fact that I have a personal attraction to her franchise, since I never got to play all the games entirely, but I plan to do it one day whenever I get the chance. But the main reason is probably because I think of her character and design as a cool concept, so that was a plus for me.

Eevee 8

Smash Rookie
NNID
EV666
Well i main Ike and Lucina not just because they are FE but to prove that no matter how low a teir you choose you can still succeed. Also i use Ike because of range power and style slow but can wreck. Lucina i use because well yes pretty but as well as she is a COMPLETE different style from Ike lots has to do with my matchup game "harsh and slow" or "fast and furious" pun was intended

Kritz0ne

Smash Rookie
Kirby, because back when I had a GBA, I used to play all the Kirby games I had. Nightmare In Dreamland was so fun...
I also main him because I like being an annoying pink puffball.

Eevee 8

Smash Rookie
NNID
EV666
Kirby, because back when I had a GBA, I used to play all the Kirby games I had. Nightmare In Dreamland was so fun...
I also main him because I like being an annoying pink puffball.
Kirby truly is annoying. But like my picture "if you got haters your doing somethin right! Lol

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
:4villager: Always been a huge Animal Crossing fan, even being hyped for the first game before it even came out. As the first revealed newcomer he stood out and his intro trailer was hilarious. Fits my more defensive playstyle too, though I can get aggressive with slingshots if I need to. When Bowser Jr. was eventually revealed I was sure I'd play as him, but I think the 3DS demo had come out already and I had gotten too used to Villa's playstyle. He's a wonderful little troll with a moveset to match, haha. But not in a sucky "Sonic" way.

Also his taunts and alt costumes are just the best. /dance

:4luigi: Otherwise I play as Weegi since that's who I always played in past games. He felt good in 64, sucky in Melee, better in Brawl, and in Smash 4 he's pretty good. IMO anyways.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I did say in the past that :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: were my mains. But at the start of this new year, I say to myself, "Self! Let's delve into another character. Someone reasonably challenging to master." Well, my new main is :rosalina:with :4peach: and :4bowserjr:being back-ups.

The Miis have been demoted to secondaries for a silly reason: I find their facial expression to be disturbing if they're knocked down and continue lying there. I only break them out for multiplayer Target Blast. Yeah...digressing...

I also decided to main Rosalina 'cause, sweet pizza, her dress looks stylin' with those cute star patterns, she sometimes says "woo" when attacking, and with Luma, she gets on everyone's nerves. ****, y'all gotta love her victory poses, too.

Last edited:

Roy Kuchiki

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1582-4628-5796
My main is :4shulk:and to be honest, he wasn't my first main. When smash 4 first released, I main :4sonic:but wasn't enthused about the game, and continued to play more Melee and SSF2. Eventually DLC became a thing in the future and when I heard about :4feroy:, I just had to main him and surely, he was amazing when first debuted. But after patches, he gradually nerfed and caused me great inconsistencies. I became to give up again on the game as I switched back to :4sonic: until more DLC was being released, eventually we got :4cloud2:and man was I happy. I became obsessed with Cloud as he felt badass and surely, he was as he was at a point claimed to be the best in the game until broken :4bayonetta:came out. After Cloud got nerf, I became inconsistent and less hype about the character than at the beginning. Afterwards I felt stuck finding a good character to main and I asked around and done research. I looked at the characters I was playing the most: Doc :4drmario:, Roy :4feroy:, Zelda :4zelda:, hell even Pit :4pit:who's vastly underrated. But out of all these characters, one stood out and caught my attention, he's unique, one who takes time to master, has great potential and the best range in the game, along with adapting to different battle situations, developing your battle strategies and playstyle to a more widespread, yet challenging tone of choice. Eventually, I took interest in :4shulk:and so far, I don't regret it. I can finally challenge the best smash 4 player in my city. He even praises my playstyle with Shulk and I'm happy to say I'm really feeling it more than ever in smash 4. Also, just to add as a note to Shulk's current tier placing, I strongly disagree with him being low tier. He should be around mid at the very least.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
My main is :4zss: put about a 100 hours on her.She is so funnn to play because I can be so aggressive

I can turn around games so well with her with one good punish.Also dominating the neutral with her is pretty overwhelming for my opponents.

Nairo and Mars are also my favorite players for how they play her and I mimick what they do a lot in tournaments.

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I main Falcon + Bowser. My first Sm4sh main was ZSS but I dropped her for Diddy like 2 days after getting the game. When I went to my first Sm4sh tourney I played Marth and managed to beat a ranked player. I picked up fox and did fairly well with those characters, placing top 8 in tourneys with 25+ entrants. I dropped Marth after doing very well with Fox at one event, then I played Fox and Bowser. Fox didn't seem to be working, so I dropped him and was a solo Bowser main. My friend impressed me by winning a tournament with Falcon easily (3-0), so now I play him.

KeepTheLegacy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1006-3169-3915
:4feroy:is my main now. He fits my playstyle the most (kind of an aggressive bait and punish) and he's just so cool to play and to watch.

I do have plans to add Ryu as a dual main or a secondary, and I may even think of going back to ZSS (from before my competitive days (2014)) and Marth. But we'll see when that time comes.

Alpha Princess365

Smash Rookie
Well going by my picture I main :4peach: because I've always had such an interest in her character. (I'm a diehard Peach fan) Many people see her as nothing more than a helpless damsel in need of saving. Well Smash defiantly proves them wrong. And shows a more dangerous side of Peach. (that honor of worthless damsel would go to :4zelda: who sucks so much and is horrible in everyday possible. No I'm not praising her so don't ask me too. I pity anyone who uses Zelda.) However what makes her Smash Bros portrayal so great is it combines Peach's best attributes from her playable appearances. It uses her sense of athleticism when tying into her physical attributes such as comboing and damage racking. It also incorporates this in conjunction with her floating prowess and turns Peach into a lot of fun. What I find most endearing about her moveset is how difficult (yet interesting/fun) it is just how much it can add to her movement and overall gameplay. Her most unique asset is being presented as her greatest strength and makes :4peach: into an absolute monster of a character to where it not only rewards an actual win, but rewards the player for the amount of skill put into her character build. :4peach: has been my constant win option in Melee onward and she's never fails to let me down, and you only get more excitement from using her character. Peach's combos are varied and fun to execute. And I'm still practicing with the character too.

It basically combines everything I love about Peach into one moveset. On top of :4peach: I also go into using :4palutena: because I'm a huge fan of the character and since I often like balancing my offensive with defense types I chose Palutena because she has the aspects I like in her build. Yeah she has flaws, but I manage to get past them. (Although her D-Smash and Counter could be a lot better) she also has my favorite Grab/Jab animation in the entire game. Not to mention her Air game is simply fantastic.

And just as a note I'm adding :4yoshi: and :4corrinf: here as well. Because recently I picked both of them up as secondaries to compensate for my main's weaknesses. Corrin has everything I need to make up in terms of weakness and Yoshi is a lot of fun to use. And while :4jigglypuff: maybe bad in Smash 4, I still get my sense of enjoyment simply because I love her character a lot. Though tbh I don't use Jigglypuff as often. But my Melee memories (as well as 64) still make me want to stick with her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom