• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the best doubles partner for Pit?

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
The local Game Crazy store in my area finally decided to organize some doubles tourneys. I've got a partner who is fairly versatile and we've tried various character combos with Pit but we can't decide which is most effective. Is there any character that Pit clearly works best with or at least works well with?

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Pit needs a partner that can kill. Wario or lucario are both good options, MK is good because he is MK, but you will have a harder time killing.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
Yeah my partner used to main Marth but he's moved to Wario and that seems to be working well because Wario is so good at stock tanking also.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Snake is really great
I partner snake alot.
we can maneuver through his grenades easily and fight at range.
he can duck our arrows
use our arrows to save him off edge.
he kills what you started.
Our constant hit boxes setup easier regrabs from his dthrow.
Almost a perfect team, snake and an angel on his side.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
I like that idea with snake. The only problem is that he has such a steep learning curve and my friend has only used him when the game made him with random :p. Btw our main competition is a fairly competent snake and his partner who is debatably the best Link main in the world. I swear to God if anyone asks if the Link main is Izaw I will blow a fuse. :crazy:

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
It is Izaw right?, lol just kidding. Its was maybe for his combo vid and tuts. I forgot who the other one was, tip of my tongue...

Snake has range, just don't be too stylish with nades and c4.
He capitalizes on rolls as people have a habit to roll to get around range.
He's not much to learn, thinking strategically is also outside nades and c4. (remember snake, don't forget about your CQC).

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
I just started watching some doubles vids on youtube and Koolaid and Fatal(snake) are insane! So yeah I can see what you mean about snake being a good partner for Pit.

Btw I wanted to clarify the reason I said what I did regarding Izaw. Its just that I spend a lot of time in the Link xat chat as one of my RL friends is Blubba_Pinecone and from what I've heard, Izaw is nowhere near as good as people think he is. I've even heard him called trash and apparently people only think he's good because of all of the publicity he gets from his Izawmbies. :p

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Just play with a player who you have good chemistry with. That's the 1st step. The second step is finding a good character to team up with. Any of the high tiers are sound characters for Pit, but a character with killing power is preferable.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I remember Koolaid and Fatal tried a Pit/Snake team and actually did pretty well with it at a major tourney.

One fun trick is having Snake crawl under Pit's arrows and simply spamming in the case of a 2v1.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I remember Koolaid and Fatal tried a Pit/Snake team and actually did pretty well with it at a major tourney.

One fun trick is having Snake crawl under Pit's arrows and simply spamming in the case of a 2v1.

Pikachu can do this too, as he gets closer to use D-tilt. ZSS can do it too, but she may get hit if she mistimes a D-tilt, as her arm will be up enough so that an arrow can hit her.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
But Snake is a better Partner for Pit than Pikachu and/or ZSS.
And Snake also seems to be one of Pit´s best partners in general.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I'd say it looks like Marf, but they have some issues with getting antsy, and both are ***** by MK, so I suppose not...

Yoshi? Yoshi is just really strong in doubles. He's a tank if there isn't a Cape on the map, and he can carry in a 1v2 if the user's got game. Fills that killing power gap pretty fine.
I bet there's a ton of **** traps. Pit's hits are really obvious for the Yoshi to notice - "Yoshi can hitconfirm Pit's moves" - and Yoshi is really annoying when he's in your face, letting Pit breathe and position. Between them the DPS could skyrocket.

They both have resiliency on their own for sufficiently good users so no one has to babysit, and there's so much room for invention, starting with their projectiles.

Consider this: Shield pressure to Yoshi bomb. Yoshi throw to Pit juggle to offstage. Anything -> Yoshi aerial. Yoshi BAir -> Whatever the **** you want, get a coffee, unplug play Ganon land Murder Punch punish = D3's dash attack, come back, Fsmash. Arrow of Light -> Yoshi not being pressured in his craptastic shield egg, Pit gets launched, DIs, is safe. Egg Lay -> Pit move refresh.

As a more subtle point to saying "Pit wants people who kill", I think Pit wants people who can move - no, PLOW the game toward its conclusion. Pit plays a campy game at his height in 1v1, supposedly showing off his strength, but really a symptom of his discomfort with any other speed or rhythm of play. Discomfort with only himself to control space... which he's actually really bad at (if they're too close for arrow, right?)
But with some character (like Yoshi!) out there smacking everyone around, moving the game along, Pit can take on just what he can carry - but pay strong returns, too. He's not just using a stronger ally; the support enables him to do what Pit mains (and the SBR, tentatively, but persistingly) are so sure Pit has within him.

I'd learn Yoshi if I was manly enough to play the critter.

Right? I mean, along the lines of how Peach, say, would be a bad fit.... both chars would be working so hard to not insta-die, and set up their ideal situation, and they'd sputter because a rival will always screw you up once, and it'd be ugly. But maybe a super aggro Pikachu would be a good fit.

Extending this:

Dedede: Bad
Wario: Probly good
Game & Watch: bad <- I guess? He might not be able to satisfy the above conditions depending on opponent characters, but the payoff of his moves is SO GOOD for his weight class
Robot: good (despite being a sandbag at the worst of times)

You feel me?

Suyon

Smash Lord
I'm teaming with a sonic lolol. Spindash and arrows. Though I could use more buffs. But Pit is really good. I believe he would do well with any high tier and mid tier character.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'm teaming with a sonic lolol. Spindash and arrows. Though I could use more buffs. But Pit is really good. I believe he would do well with any high tier and mid tier character.
Yeah Suyon and his Sonic partner ITT nearly knocked Jash and Bizkit out of the MLG doubles tourney. It was definitely something to behold. I've never seen you two play so well and in sync.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Lucario is a wonderful partner. He can soak up damage and get super-sayan while Pit provides arrow support and stock tanks. It really brings out the best in them.

Top Bottom