• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Is Better Doc Or Mario? (an Yes I Know Im Typeing In Caps I Always Do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Doc is my secondary. I feel I can get more control over mario due to the lack of speed. Also, I feel that the short hop is easier with doc.

mario-man

Smash Lord
First off, search before making a new thread cuz there's already like ten threads with this exact same topic.

Second, I use Mario and IMO he is the best period. Of course, that's me. Watch this vid

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAl8-bHh9M

It's on youtube if the link doesn't work. Search: Up air'd Blind Yayuhhz

mario-man

Smash Lord
Okay, take off the yayuhz at the end, cuz it's definitely still up.

Btw, there's an edit button jsyk.

If it still won't work, then go under miscellaneous videos and search all of the pages and you should find it there. Lol
It's amazing how complicated something can become.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
type upair'd blind exactly like I just typed. You will definitely see it. I have had problems searching for this same video in the past. Lol
On topic, Mario has a better uptilt, upair (at low-mid percents) combos, dair, and jab combos. IMHO, I think Mario is overall better even though some people might like the pills and killing power better (as well as other small details that are not very important).

Mario's combos are much more sexy than doc anyways. >_>

Dr. Science

Smash Apprentice
type upair'd blind exactly like I just typed. You will definitely see it. I have had problems searching for this same video in the past. Lol
On topic, Mario has a better uptilt, upair (at low-mid percents) combos, dair, and jab combos. IMHO, I think Mario is overall better even though some people might like the pills and killing power better (as well as other small details that are not very important).

Mario's combos are much more sexy than doc anyways. >_>

Wrong.....

Dr. Mario is way better.

More power for barely any loss in speed = T3H WIN!

F air = Kill
F Smash and Dwn Smash are vastly superior.
F air = Kill
You can recover from a whiffed Fair with doc a lot better than mario, plus the rewards are a million times better.
F air = Kill

am I making sense here?

In case you need more convincing: http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Tiers

mario-man

Smash Lord
Wrong!!!

Doc is not VASTLY superior in any way except in his F-smash.

There now, see how easy it is to say something. Really, there is no REAL tier list. It depends on your gaming style. Mario is better at combos, which I happen to like, so to me Mario owns Doc hands down. However, besides that, I hold no grudge against Doc.

Pick your character according to your likes or dislikes. Nobody is "Better" than any other character. Lol There are even ppl who absolutely OWN with Pichu of all chars.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Wrong!!!

There now, see how easy it is to say something. Really, there is no REAL tier list. It depends on your gaming style. Mario is better at combos, which I happen to like, so to me Mario owns Doc hands down. However, besides that, I hold no grudge against Doc.

Pick your character according to your likes or dislikes. Nobody is "Better" than any other character. Lol There are even ppl who absolutely OWN with Pichu of all chars.

Truth ftw. Doc and Mario each have their strengths (Mario has better combos, uptilt, more f-smash range, better recovery, fair leads to combos, a much better dair that does better for leading into combos and has more priority, faster; Doc has fair that kills, more arial range, more kill moves, pills which does more damage and has a better trajectory, bair that angles the opponent down and away, heavier than mario but worse recovery, longer cape) There is other things probably too but there is so many small differences its hard to remember them all.

Really, its all about one's style. Mario and Doc are not that far from each other in the tier list. >_>

Gea

Smash Master
Wrong!!!

Actually Mario's Fsmash gives him much needed range that Doc wishes he had. Yes, Doc's fsmash is powerful and its not as finicky about sweetspotting but seriously... Doc runs into range problems much easier than Mario does against characters like Peach for this reason.

There now, see how easy it is to say something. Really, there is no REAL tier list. It depends on your gaming style. Mario is better at combos, which I happen to like, so to me Mario owns Doc hands down. However, besides that, I hold no grudge against Doc. .
You obviously don't know what tiers are. Of course tiers exist. The current list may not be exact (I actually prefer the old one with maybe like 3 changes) but it DEFINITELY exists. Though I agree you should play who you want... and anyone can be good with any character... tiers still exist.

Yeah but when you get to high level of play a Pichu will not take a tourney. Even if one miraculously did it does not make Pichu any better than it is... and Pichu is just naturally at a disadvantage against a large majority of the cast. Period.

As for the who is better... Doc proves better in teams. As for singles... They more or less tie. Doc does better in some matchups that Mario doesn't, and vice versa. However, it is GENERALLY agreed upon that Doc edges out because of his KO potiental (and how very important that is in high level play) over Mario.

Oh yeah, and Doc's dair is arguably better because it does not have the knockback at the end of it. (honestly it doesn't matter)

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Do you like to spam a single projectile and rely more on powerful hits than combos?

Then pick Doc.

Or do you prefer using a projectile situationally and racking up damage through intricate combos?

Then pick Mario.

Yay.

ITSMEMARIO

Smash Rookie
Thanks Very Much For Your Post. I Will Take Them To Hart. Oh And One Other Thing, Combos Wit Mario R Hard To Pull Off In The First Place. And If You **** Them Up Your Screwed. And If Im Wrong Plz Tell Me.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I finally did something made of epic win; sweet.

Just so you can feel loved NES n00b, I'll point out that you did a spiffy job of pointing out the individual advantages/differences of each; and agreeably so. Woo.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Thanks Very Much For Your Post. I Will Take Them To Hart. Oh And One Other Thing, Combos Wit Mario R Hard To Pull Off In The First Place. And If You **** Them Up Your Screwed. And If Im Wrong Plz Tell Me.
Yep, you have to get good with Mario combos. If you can't pull them off, you might as well go Doc. Stick with Mario though if you want to get good with the combos. ;)

Also thank Face for brightening up my day. :) Of course your post was made of epic win. You had the best description between Mario and Doc. It was much better than mine. XD

mario-man

Smash Lord
You obviously don't know what tiers are. Of course tiers exist. The current list may not be exact (I actually prefer the old one with maybe like 3 changes) but it DEFINITELY exists. Though I agree you should play who you want... and anyone can be good with any character... tiers still exist.
Tier lists are a bunch of baloney. They are based on computers dumbness and advantages or disadvantages. Humans can take advantage of their strengths, and eliminate some of their weaknesses. I put NO STOCK AT ALL in tier lists.

Yeah but when you get to high level of play a Pichu will not take a tourney. Even if one miraculously did it does not make Pichu any better than it is... and Pichu is just naturally at a disadvantage against a large majority of the cast. Period.
Go to youtube and search "t0mmy" or "t!mmy" I forget which one. He has an absolutely unreal Pichu.

Also, DK is "low on the tier lists", but search Captain Jack and find his DK vids. You will be stunned.

Gea

Smash Master
Tier lists are a bunch of baloney. They are based on computers dumbness and advantages or disadvantages. Humans can take advantage of their strengths, and eliminate some of their weaknesses. I put NO STOCK AT ALL in tier lists.

Go to youtube and search "t0mmy" or "t!mmy" I forget which one. He has an absolutely unreal Pichu.

Also, DK is "low on the tier lists", but search Captain Jack and find his DK vids. You will be stunned.
*sighs* Since when did Jack's DK win any tourneys? Since when did Tommy? Neither did. Ask Gimpyfish (resident Bowser player here at SWF) if tiers exist. Ask Tommy. Ask Captain Jack. Yes, they do exist. They aren't 100% accurate but you can't tell me that bowser is as good as Fox. It just doesn't happen. Also computers have no say in tier lists. None. Please PLEASe be informed before spouting off stuff by which you do not know. It doesn't matter if you put stock in the tier list or not... the concept is simple.

The characters in this game are not equal. End of story.

Dr. Science

Smash Apprentice
tier lists are based on the potential a character has to win.

Simply put it's not whether or not someone can win with that character, it's how much they have to work with.

Captain Jack is a good smash player.

He does not win because DK is great or because the game is really balanced to the point where everyone is equal.

It's because He is a good player. However there reaches a certain point where the ability of the character matters.

That extra KO power makes the Doc slightly better than Mario.

Does it mean that the Doc will win more matches than Mario?

Theoritcally yes, Realisticly no.

Doc simply is better. This is essentially like the Marth vs Roy arguement.

I personally like Roy, his shffl is faster, and his weight prevents him from getting shined as badly but he is still inferior to Marth.

When it comes down to it it's all about what your character has to use and how you use it.

By all means if you like Mario more than the Doc. Use him. He still is not better than the Doc, but you might play with him better because of his lessened weight and faster running speed.

All I'm trying to say is that the Doc is superior.

There is a reason why the winners at most tournaments show up the same people over and over.

Also:

Doc does not need the paltry added range from reg mario's fwd smash, pill rushing is a better alternative anyways.

The ineffective non-sweetspotted area is a big problem to me for a guy who's main strength is combos. Shouldn't he able to combo into his f smash without worrying about the area he needs to hit with?

But to each his own right?

I prefer the power to finish my enemies with ease after my bair combo.

To add one final note: Where I smash at there are two players I know, One named Gary, the other Anther.

One uses pikachu as his main and the other uses Yoshi.

Gary is known as Firebrand.

Go ask them about Tiers, or ask the entire Midwest Forum for that matter. or Shoryuken forums, or Tekken Zaibatsu, or any fighting game forum.

Tiers exist.

Believe it.

Gea

Smash Master
Er? Pills can't make a kill and aren't for main damage. They have other uses... honestly the sweetspot is NOT hard to hit into and Mario's Fsmash gets a hellva lot more use in higher level matches than Doc's does, especially for actually getting KOs.

Bairs into fsmash? Right.

Dr. Science

Smash Apprentice
I prefer to combo Nair's and U airs with doc. Especially into a F Smash.

I was not talking about using Bair into a Fsmash.

I finish my Bair combo's with either a cape (non finsher) d smash (conditional) or a Triangle jumped F air.(it's risky but not many see it coming.)

I jump pill and follow the pill with an aerial. If they block the pill it is a D air into a D smash, if not it's a Fair into oblivion.

Pills don't make for a kill but they sure are great for helping land one.

I tend to land quite close to the opponent when I'm done with my combo's so the F smash never hits in the sweetspot for me with mario.

Gea

Smash Master
Well then you're not so great at spacing. Mario's Fsmash sweetspot is one of the easier sweetspots in the game...

Also... nair into fsmash? Maybe dsmash at low %s, but nair should not lead into fsmash.

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
just got back a fun trip and see this thread come up a few times but heres my 2 cents.....

i do agree that characters arent equal gea, but to compare the difference between mario and doc from bowser to fox is a little exessive but i do understand the point u were trying to make, heres a lil story for u.......

when i started playing smash mario was always my main......when i really sucked.....and when i started playing with advanced techs, i learned through mario and always felt very comfortable with him

it came to my attention doc is very similar to mario and is superior bc of his d-smash, f-air, and b-air so i tried him out.........my 1st problem was dealing with pills with the trajectory but i got to that, then using him i felt a lil more lag with him with some of his moves and that prob threw me off the most

i worked hard with doc, and i did get pretty good with him, i was prert comfortable with him too....i worked at it for lie a solid month, but i missed f-smash of mario too much bc it is too good bc of its priority....and used it a lot with mario which really hurt me as a doc player, so i went back to being a mario player

idk if that story helped or u just feel like i wasted ur time, i apologize......it really comes down to what u feel most comfortable with. when i play my friend (rejects) peach, i need the speed mario has, idk if hes actually slower or i just mistime the lag times after moves or something but i cant keep up with his peach.....and also i feel have the f-smash of mario really helps space him away from me

does that work in every case though? prob not.....the style i made my mario i think is better than any style i can make my doc....if that makes any sense......i suggest u try out both not interchanging them but trying to b one character for like 2-3 weeks then trying the other character for 2-3 weeks, thats always the best way i can try a new character bc u really need to work with him......

i dont mean to pick on ur gea, u got a great doc, but im going to bring up the thing u said about comparing fox to bowser......i dont think doc has such a great advantage over mario that u should choose one over the other bc of tier.....i think it comes down to what ur playing style is and which character fits better in it, will b the better character for u

EDIT:another thing i just thought of.....marios advantage over doc has always been key....maybe 4 my style bc im a survior....when i vs rejects peach......hes waiting for me to use the tournado to recover so sometimes i cant......for mario i could still get back and when for doc i usually cant......

i hope that helps......

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
why..... is this open.

I thought there was a stickied topic for this.

IN BOTH THE DOC AND MARIO FORUMS.

I know i see one EVERY TIME i go to the doc forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom