• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is a good character to use as a secondary to maining Pit?

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering who I should use as a secondary to cover Pit's disadvantaged matchups? Looking at the matchup chart, Pit is at a disadvantage against Marth, MK, Olimar, and Mr. GaW. It seems like Toon Link might be a good choice. I've played as mostly everyone, so I'm comfortable playing as a lot of characters.

Thanks.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Well, I main Pit, and my secondaries are Ganon, G&W and Pokemon Trainer.
I'm not sure about any of the match-ups though. But these secondaries seem to take care of where Pit lacks.
Toon Link is also a good choice.

kown

Smash Lord
my secondary is snake. hes got some pretty nasty mindgame potential if you play him right and hes easy to use once you get the basics down.

i reccomend only having one secondary tho.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I started first with toon link as a secondary. He can cover alot of pits weaknesses. He can spike, hes great on heavy characters like dk. His projectile combo/traps along with melee follow ups are great. Same feel as pit, generally. Has roughly the same range as pit so u dont have to change up ur spacing too much. For me TL is great for handling characters i have problems with as pit. Such as snake, donkey kong, fox are a few. Though i dont really counter pick. It just means u have to work harder to defeat them. But thats more fun.

U dont have to restrict urself to playing only1 secondary.As for your secondary choices. I have a hand full of characters i play as secondary, or rather 3rds. Since toon link is designated as my second. But i also play around with marth ike fox falco mario kirby PT and Link. They arnt as good as pit or toon link, but i can still whip most of the people in my clan with atleast 1 of these characters, sometimes better then pit or toon link.

You can work as many secondaries you want into ur play roster. However, i sugget the best training method would be to cycle through them as u play friendlies. After u get past the whole smash spamming and find out how to really work them its really fun to be able to play like 6-7 characters that can pwn a bunch of people. Though dont go over board, pit will suffer without enough attention.

On a side note, if u really want a a very useful secondary and u are willing to work on it. Pokemon trainer is one of the best secondaries. With 3 characters with different specialties. Only problem is that it seems pretty impossible to master all 3 of these pokemon.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit is a decently fast char with moderate attacks, low KO power,
So I got Heavyweights to fill in for that weakness, like Bowser and Wario. Then i got the speedy Metaknight, and Defensive Zelda, and an offensive Wolf. It pretty much balances everything. Maybe i got too much chars.

For the chars u got problems with, I suppose DK is a MK counter, for some reason. That's all i know.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really one to speak in the department of a good secondary since I can play close to half of the characters in brawl and hold my own, but here it goes.

My "main alts" include Fox, Marth, Sheik, Ness, and Toon Link. I'll try to relate each to the playstyle or mechanics of Pit

Fox
Similarities:
Pivot steps like a beast, combos very well without risk of knocking your opponent far back, low lag after attacks, has an amazing vertical recovery, awesome taunts.
Differences:
Falls faster, attacks are released much faster, very easy to edge-hog gimp, obviously not as good at recovering, un-aimable projectile with no knockback, fewer mindgames, more pressuring, many kill-moves.
Why I Play: My friend/roommate mains Pikachu, so I have ready access to my worst matchup. Also, I love how fast his attacks are released, and how well he combos. Oh, and cool taunts.

Marth
Similarities:
Mid-high priority due to weapon, similar physics, combos well
Differences:
Most attacks are executed in one swift blow rather than many weaker attacks, comparatively horrible recovery (but that's not saying a lot). no projectile
Why I Play: Old main in Melee, know the character well, high KO potential at low %s, chains taunts to look awesome.

Sheik
Similarities:
Similar physics, combos well, projectile can be released at about the same speed to similar knockback, has numerous recovery options
Differences:
Combos much better on the ground, aerial attacks leave something to be desired, despite many options rather easy to gimp
Why I Play: Fun character to play, didn't have a ground-based comboer, ninjas are awesome.

Ness
Similarities:

almost none, I just play the psychic boy. :<
Differences:
they barely have anything in common. Ness is just awesome.
Why I Play:
Dair, Bair, Fair, Up-B, u-taunt.

Toon Link
Similarities:
Similar ability to recover due to Toon Physics, projectile-enhanced gameplay, great at comboing, rather threatening in the air, probably the most similar to Pit of this bunch.
Differences:
While the recovery abilities are stellar, they (like any other character) just aren't as good as Pit's. TLink is smaller, a little more nimble, and has a very fun (and often risky) d-air.
Why I Play:
<3 Windwaker, my favorite link encarnation, just so happens to be a lot of fun to play as well, d-taunt

I guess this list wouldn't be complete without including my reasons for playing Pit to begin with. I play Pit because of how versitle he is. You can switch from offensive to defensive in the blink of an eye. Even when being defensive, you still have attack options, be it scrambling or reflecting projectiles, shooting arrows as you recover, or edge-dancing with almost any attack. Pit wins chases, too, something that I've never been good at in Smash. I love his physics-warping ATs, everything from arrow-bouncing to wing refreshing. Glide toss can come out of nowhere. Arrows can come out of nowhere. All in all, if someone has never faced a decent Pit, they are in for a shock, and I want to make that shock as high voltage as possible. Most people have this impression that Pit is an arrow/angel-ring-spamming, flying noob character with an annoying voice. I want to prove these losers wrong.

Oh, and angels are awesome.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I secondary MK, He's almost as cool and fun to play as Pit, plays similarily, and covers Pit's weaknesses pretty well.

Rayo1

Smash Cadet
i use falco as a secondary he seems alot more aggressive than pit but he has a bad recovery.Tlink is a good secondary as well

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
I'd recommend seriously considering making a top tier character your secondary if you can learn them. I'd choose snake just because he does very well against the other top tiers and against meta knight...who I've had problems with as Pit.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
There you have it, sources say toon link is the best secondary. lol. Weird how so many people gravitated to toon link and pit.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I got Boozer as my secondary (MK, Zelda, Wario, and Wolf are others), because when they see him, they usually go "A Bowser? Seems easy."
But then when I own them, they'd go "WTF!? I lost to a low tier char!"
Then I would go "You didnt lose to a Low tier Char, you lost to a High Tier Bowser!"

Not many ppl use Pit and Bowser, like I do. which usually throws ppl off, considering how Bowser isnt a common sight anyways.

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
I just wanna also put out there, that Olimar is a good person to learn. Now when I play people if they counterpick stages that don't use as much recovery (eldin bridge, etc.) I just choose Olimar because he dominates on flat stages. You can't gimp a recovery when its mainly by blast off zones ya know? And Olimar is beast at pretty much everything except recovery. I'd highly recommend learning him...although I've realized he takes quite a bit of skill to learn.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
i second Gameandwatch. Hes good against Lightweights horrible against marth though. But he is realiable in taking out most of ur counters seeing as though Pit has trouble with extremely agile fast characters with multiple jumps (cough Metaknight)

InfiniteSmash1221

Smash Cadet
seems the general consensus is that TL is a good secondary. I use him because he's a favorite character of mine, but as others have said he covers a good amount of pit's weak points. Although sometimes it's more fun to challenge Pit. :)

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I'm a Game and Watch Secondary and use Ice Climbers as my other main since they have good KO potential once you learn how to chain grab ^_^ and since Game and Watch is fairly fast while having all of his smash attacks being Kill moves. I'm trying to make Meta Knight my secondary or, even better, my main once I get his spacing and mindless rushing down...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
While Pit is your multi-purpose all-around mediumweight angel, I got the Heavy Tank Bowser as my secondary. Bowser isnt common, and in good hands he can be a powerhouse, so good, it can throw many opponents off.
Then I got meta for speed purposes.
These 3 pretty much help each other out in covering their weaknesses.

Top Bottom