• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here knows more than one language?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I know about all the subjunctives and stuff.

Iunno, personally I believe English is pretty much impossible to speak like a native speaker if you don't learn it from a young age.

It is the biggest grammatical mess of any indo-european language, and so idiomatic and filled with exceptions that it's extremely difficult for most to perfect.

My German sucks now btw, but if I practiced I'd be half decent.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So english is hard to learn?

I wouldve thought it was easy seeing as though almost all its words sound different and if you want to make something plural you basically just add S to the end

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
English is easy to learn at a basic level, a level sufficient to communicate.

That's not the same as speaking perfect English.

If some polish guy comes up to you and is like "Excuse me, direction for how go St. Paul?"

You'd know what he meant, but it's a far cry from someone saying, "Excuse me, would you be able to give me directions to get to St. Paul's?"

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Ah, i what you mean there.

But look at Terywi, his english is perfect. He even used 'iunno' and thats not even in the dictionary. Is it really that hard compared to like German?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well ask people who've migrated to Germany at a preteen age.

It's probably not that hard if you've been exposed to it every day.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yes most definetly I know more than one, let see....

English ( I'm obviously typing it , but I can speak it very well with NO accent)

Spanish ( This is my native language, but I rarely speak it among my friends lol..., just english)

SPANGLISH (yea this is my language, mix between English and Spanish consisting of slang words)

French ( Bonjour SWF's I won't say tha I'm a pro speaker at it, but I'm decent, oui.)

Unfortunetly that's all the languages I know (yea I'm not counting the *********** language), but yea out of all of those Spanglish seems to be my favorite and most used language next to English.

I want to learn Japanese SO BAD!!, I demand that someone teach me!!

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I only speak English and German (native tongue) well.

I've learned other languages (Italian, Dutch, French), but I never used them so I forgot them. Happens when you never use a language, ahahah... <_<

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I never really thought english as hard. I remember when I first entered elementary in pre k. I swear all I knew was spanish and I can remember learning the english word for CAT XD. I didn't think learning it was hard. If its easy for a 5 year old to learn, I have no idea how an adult think its hard

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I am a language freak. I have hated English since I learned their were other, better languages.

Fluent:
English
Russki

Near Fluent:
Arabic
Polish

Getting there(Enough to hold a conversation with a native speaker):
German
Dutch
Swedish
Norwegian
French
Spanish
Afrikaans
Føroyskt(lolwut)

Want to learn more of:
All of the languages I can speak bits and pieces of.
(Insert important Asian language here)

Oh, and I can speak pig latin for English/Russian fluently ыыыыыыы

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
I never really thought english as hard. I remember when I first entered elementary in pre k. I swear all I knew was spanish and I can remember learning the english word for CAT XD. I didn't think learning it was hard. If its easy for a 5 year old to learn, I have no idea how an adult think its hard
it's easier to learn a language when you are younger. a child can pick up a language pretty fast when exposed to it. also, its pretty interesting that a baby can distinguish many sounds but as they become older they can't pick up those distinguish sounds. this is why it is "harder" to learn a language as an adult.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Hurmmmm.

I'm fluent in English obviously. I can speak canton, but I have problems understanding it sometimes. I can't speak viet, but I can understand it fully. Weird huh.

I also learned to read and write in korean...not much else though lol.

Oh, and I know a bit of french. Took it all through my school years. >< (gg canada)
No, that's not how it works IMO. It's way more easy if you start as a kid.
^yeah, this is true.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
not necessarily. since a person can be able to read and translate a language

but still have trouble speaking the language since they won't have exposure to it

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Wait Canto?

If you learned how to read / write wouldn't you be able to speak it..?

-Terywk
What about canto? My parents always speak english unless I get in trouble or something. That, and I grew up in a white dominated city so I guess it all got lost through the years. :|

Yeah, well I can speak Korean. I'd just have no idea what it means. LOL.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
not necessarily. since a person can be able to read and translate a language

but still have trouble speaking the language since they won't have exposure to it
This is true. Even though I consider myself good at writing, reading and understanding speech, I'm very bad at actually speaking English myself, just because I never have the need to do so, and have never learned it. I have trouble articulating (and pronouncing) words, because most sounds are all different from Finnish.

Cinder

Smash Master
I am a language freak. I have hated English since I learned their were other, better languages.

Fluent:
English
Russki

Near Fluent:
Arabic
Polish

Getting there(Enough to hold a conversation with a native speaker):
German
Dutch
Swedish
Norwegian
French
Spanish
Afrikaans
Føroyskt(lolwut)

Want to learn more of:
All of the languages I can speak bits and pieces of.
(Insert important Asian language here)

Oh, and I can speak pig latin for English/Russian fluently ыыыыыыы
Føroyskt? Is that...Faroese? <3

It's good to see other language nerds here ^_^

Cinder

Smash Master
Its basically a dead language. No point in learning it unless you're going to travel Scandinavia and study ancient Viking relics.
Well, one, that sounds like fun xD

Two, I just want to learn it...it's how I roll. Granted, the fact that it's not as necessary as Spanish/Swedish makes it lower on my list, but I still want to learn it. Technically, the same thing applies to me wanting to learn Basque.

Cinder

Smash Master
Oho? What is this? I've never heard about this. :p

-Terywj
Haha, I would go more into it, but this isn't the place for it. All I'll say is look up "Breakin' Brawl: A H4x0RZ TV segment" by SmasherCinder.

Anyway on topic, @Eikelmann: our previous discussion gave me the idea of possibly majoring in Archeology...I reckon I should brush up on my Old Norse, Sanskrit, and Babylonian, eh xD

MisterDrBob

Smash Apprentice
I speak some Spanish and I had to learn a little Portuguese when I went to Brazil last summer. I'm not fluent in either, but I can get by in simple situations. I've been working on learning Japanese too. So far, I can really just say hello, introduce myself, and goodbye. lol

Эикельманн [РУС]

Haha, I would go more into it, but this isn't the place for it. All I'll say is look up "Breakin' Brawl: A H4x0RZ TV segment" by SmasherCinder.

Anyway on topic, @Eikelmann: our previous discussion gave me the idea of possibly majoring in Archeology...I reckon I should brush up on my Old Norse, Sanskrit, and Babylonian, eh xD
LOL those languages are like a key to Archeology. If you're into dead lingustics, be a professional duster-offer!

Oh btw, I'm Cash Mooney. sup.

I am 17.

Cinder

Smash Master
Just wondering, since you know a ton of languages. How old are you?

-Terywj
20, though I only started becoming a language nerd when I was 19.

LOL those languages are like a key to Archeology. If you're into dead lingustics, be a professional duster-offer!
To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought until we had that discussion on Faroese, but I actually wouldn't mind getting a chance to travel and use my linguistics skills, as opposed to staying here in the States and working in one lonely place, bound by my career. I'm free-spirited and love discovering and learning xD

Oh btw, I'm Cash Mooney. sup.
Oh snap. How you holdin' up, Cash?

Younger than me and already probably more proficient than me in languages xD I WILL CATCH UP D:<

Эикельманн [РУС]

20, though I only started becoming a language nerd when I was 19.

To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought until we had that discussion on Faroese, but I actually wouldn't mind getting a chance to travel and use my linguistics skills, as opposed to staying here in the States and working in one lonely place, bound by my career. I'm free-spirited and love discovering and learning xD

Oh snap. How you holdin' up, Cash?

Younger than me and already probably more proficient than me in languages xD I WILL CATCH UP D:<
lol you would be using them specifically for research purposes, not for conversing. You wouldn't enjoy it.

I'm good. Trying to avoid the grasp of the ban hammer as we speak. I shall prevail, however.

Its fine, I've been obsessed with linguistics longer than you, probably.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I must learn Afrikaans.

Cinder

Smash Master
lol you would be using them specifically for research purposes, not for conversing. You wouldn't enjoy it.
Actually, I'm terrible with verbal communication anyway...and even then, I still intend to learn languages that are alive and well (which would probably be of help in communicating with locals, or showing them respect if they speak English). Learning dead languages for research would be fine for me. As long as it's a matter of me taking something that isn't English and putting it in a language people understand xD (yes, I'm weird)

I'm good. Trying to avoid the grasp of the ban hammer as we speak. I shall prevail, however.
Well then, buona fortuna.

Its fine, I've been obsessed with linguistics longer than you, probably.
Probably. I'm guessing you've been at it for more than a year? (Granted, I don't think it's been a FULL year for me anyway).

Эикельманн [РУС]

Actually, I'm terrible with verbal communication anyway...and even then, I still intend to learn languages that are alive and well (which would probably be of help in communicating with locals, or showing them respect if they speak English). Learning dead languages for research would be fine for me. As long as it's a matter of me taking something that isn't English and putting it in a language people understand xD (yes, I'm weird)

Well then, buona fortuna.

Probably. I'm guessing you've been at it for more than a year? (Granted, I don't think it's been a FULL year for me anyway).

LOL, so you'd be a good translator for those foreign companies and stuff =P

Bahahaha, oh no. I've been at it for well over 3 years now. Maybe even 4+ xD

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Wait Canto?

If you learned how to read / write wouldn't you be able to speak it..?

-Terywk
Lol at this.

That reminded me of that ancient Heron language that Reyson and Leanne spoke in Fire Emblem.

Props to Cinder for knowing so many foreign and 'mystic' languages.

Top Bottom