• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best kill options?

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
What characters do you feel have the most effective kill options in smash 4? I main Pikachu and find it very hard to kill with him (the best options are down-throw>thunder which can be DI'ed or u-smash which is easy to avoid).

The two best kill options in the game that I can think of are Luigis down-throw>down-B or pre-patch Diddy's hoo-hah. What other characters have good kill options in terms of safeness/power/ease of execution?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As far as being able to get the kill when you need to with dependable kill moves:

:4myfriends:- fair, bair, uair, ftilt
:4littlemac:-fsmash, dsmash, ftilt
:4ness:-bair, uair, bthrow
:4feroy:-fsmash, fair, bair

I would say that these four should never have issues getting kills when your opponent is in kill range. The attacks I listed for each character are largely safe and typically won't lead to hard punishes if they hit shields or whiff. I also agree with what everyone else has said in that :4ness: has the least problems of the cast getting a kill in because bthrow is that strong and dependable. It's literally one shield grab and a stock off them if they're at least at 120% for a majority of the cast and that's not taking into consideration if Ness if is rage mode or not.

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
If you mean RELIABLE kill options, It's probably going to go to :4zss:because of that up special able to finish the job quick and efficiently, as well as that fsmash, and upsmash.

However, if you mean BEST kill options, It's :4dedede:, hands down everyone. He can KO at ridiculously low percentages, with high knockback. Unless your Pit/Dark Pit, or Villager, you're not coming back from a fsmash at 50%.

His best kill moves include,
-Fsmash (can kill at 35%-50%)
-Bair (comes out quick, can kill at 80%-90%
-Down Special (Jet hammer at full charge, can KO at 50%-65%, and hit people on ledges)
-Uair (Omg, this moves is OP. Racks up damage first, them sends flying even higher, KOing at %60)

Now pay your respects to the king.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Yeah Ness' bthrow does it. Although at the same time Pikachu probably shouldn't be a struggle to kill necessarily you can just offstage chase early I mean your aerial mobility with quick attack backing it up is more than enough to overwhelm an off-stage opponent.

bibbit

Smash Rookie
NNID
pew pewwwww
3DS FC
3196-2893-6438
:4ness: is probably the most viable character with great kill options, as has been stated.
:4feroy: has amazing kill potential and is relatively quick, but idk what the consensus on viability is for him.
:4ganondorf: also has fantastic kill options (and is a downright blast to use), but has a lot of trouble with players/characters who can take advantage of his slowness and weight. Great for online and casual use, not so great for tourneys.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
:4ganondorf: Ganoncide whenever you damn well please.

Really though, throw it out there every now and then and you can make your opponent fear it as you really can kill whenever you set it up.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Most reliable? Yeah, ness. PK bull**** (bthrow) and PK uair are both excellent options.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Broken record, Ness has the best kill options (and it's a nice mix of uair, something they have to shield + it's safe on shield, and b-throw, which obviously goes through shields)

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Custom Brawler and Luigi both have kill confirms out of down throw.

Custom Pika is silly with heavy skull bash and/or t-wave. Kill confirm off of a projectile is a little broke.

Mario, Luigi, Doc, and Roy all have fantastic u-smash kill options that are invincible, have decent range and are good anti-airs and OOS options.

Samus, ZSS, Roy, Ryu, Charizard, Brawler and Little Mac can all kill with up-B OOS. Some of those have super armor.

Ness, Charizard and Mewtwo have great kill throws.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja has very good hit confirms (D-Tilt and sour N-Air) into his very powerful Up-Smash that is also a very effective anti-air move due to disjoint.

But yeah Ness wins this by a long shot with B-Throw.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Ness, Link, Ganondorf, Little Mac, most of the heavy characters, etc. A lot of characters have good kill options, such as Sonic and Mario's quick forward smash. It's just putting it together.

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
If you mean RELIABLE kill options, It's probably going to go to :4zss:because of that up special able to finish the job quick and efficiently, as well as that fsmash, and upsmash.

However, if you mean BEST kill options, It's :4dedede:, hands down everyone. He can KO at ridiculously low percentages, with high knockback. Unless your Pit/Dark Pit, or Villager, you're not coming back from a fsmash at 50%.

-Down Special (Jet hammer at full charge, can KO at 50%-65%, and hit people on ledges)
-Uair (Omg, this moves is OP. Racks up damage first, them sends flying even higher, KOing at %60)

I

I agree completely, being a dedede main I believe his Uair is one of the best ones in the game, it's good for catching landings, it's great for killing, (like you said) it can combo from down throw at high percents for an easy kill setup.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
I think it's important to define best kill options not just in terms of how early does this kill, but a combination of kill power and commitment required. For instance Bowser's f-smash is a much less dangerous kill move than Ness' b-throw, even if b-throw kills later simply because of the lag involved. If pure punish tools and kill power defined the meta, then Marth would probably be top tier.

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
Warning Received
:4mario:I'd say one of the best kill moves is mario's up smash, it has amazing pirority and good range, it also pushes shielded opponents, making it safe.Another great thing is it's lack of cool down. Without a doubt one of mario's best kill moves.

I think it's important to define best kill options not just in terms of how early does this kill, but a combination of kill power and commitment required. For instance Bowser's f-smash is a much less dangerous kill move than Ness' b-throw, even if b-throw kills later simply because of the lag involved. If pure punish tools and kill power defined the meta, then Marth would probably be top tier.
Ture if you're talking about kill punishes, if that were the case then mewtwos down special would be great for high percentages.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Competitively speaking I'm not sure I agree with this one. Many setups for it involve having to use throws, and ZSS' throws aren't that reliable. Unless I'm misremembering as well, there were also several times at CEO where ZeRo managed to DI the Up-B on several occasions. Using the Up-B is a severe commitment.

As has been stated, Ness is probably the character with most reliable kill options, not necessarily because of how powerful they are but because of the commitment / reward ratio. He can throw out virtually any of his aerials with little risk which includes the UAir, the rewards of getting a throw in is about as decisive as pre-patch Diddy and most of his moves are fairly safe.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Zero Suit has a couple windows for quick KO's, but if she misses those she's pretty much stuck to fishing for back air and punishes while opponents go as high as 170%.

Why hasn't anyone said Luigi yet? Ridiculously safe and strong smashes, guaranteed combos out of grab all the way to KO.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Zero Suit has a couple windows for quick KO's, but if she misses those she's pretty much stuck to fishing for back air and punishes while opponents go as high as 170%.

Why hasn't anyone said Luigi yet? Ridiculously safe and strong smashes, guaranteed combos out of grab all the way to KO.
Not true. First off she has dthrow uair that kills at 130% and is reliable past that percent. she can trap people's landing like nobody's bussiness and score kill confirms off of that.
Competitively speaking I'm not sure I agree with this one. Many setups for it involve having to use throws, and ZSS' throws aren't that reliable. Unless I'm misremembering as well, there were also several times at CEO where ZeRo managed to DI the Up-B on several occasions. Using the Up-B is a severe commitment.

As has been stated, Ness is probably the character with most reliable kill options, not necessarily because of how powerful they are but because of the commitment / reward ratio. He can throw out virtually any of his aerials with little risk which includes the UAir, the rewards of getting a throw in is about as decisive as pre-patch Diddy and most of his moves are fairly safe.
Dthrow uair uair up b are DI mix ups but she has set ups into her flip kick spike that kill at 30%.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Not true. First off she has dthrow uair that kills at 130% and is reliable past that percent. she can trap people's landing like nobody's bussiness and score kill confirms off of that.

Dthrow uair uair up b are DI mix ups but she has set ups into her flip kick spike that kill at 30%.
Lots of members of the cast have powerful landing traps, and can kill early with spikes, but these are way more situational punishes than any of Ness' kill options, or Luigi's.

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
I

I agree completely, being a dedede main I believe his Uair is one of the best ones in the game, it's good for catching landings, it's great for killing, (like you said) it can combo from down throw at high percents for an easy kill setup.
Well said fellow DDD main, good to see more and more love of this character.

I also forgot to mention his dash attack, this move has netted me soo many kills. Great landing trap, good punish for roll spammers, and not to mention It's a freaken body slam. Snorlax can move over, DDD has it covered. The only downside is if they shield, It's easily punishable, but all in all, still a great move.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Lots of members of the cast have powerful landing traps, and can kill early with spikes, but these are way more situational punishes than any of Ness' kill options, or Luigi's.
Alot of the cast has true combos into spikes? Didn't know that. They are situational but there are so many ways to set up all these up that it actually happens pretty frequently even at high levels.

Robopuppyz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZacharyCA
3DS FC
3566-1663-4299
Well said fellow DDD main, good to see more and more love of this character.

I also forgot to mention his dash attack, this move has netted me soo many kills. Great landing trap, good punish for roll spammers, and not to mention It's a freaken body slam. Snorlax can move over, DDD has it covered. The only downside is if they shield, It's easily punishable, but all in all, still a great move.
The more and more I think about it, almost all of DDD's moves can kill ridiculously early on, his down smash is surprisingly quick and great for roll punishes, and his down air can even spike if spaced properly. So the bottom line is, why is DDD still low tier!?

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
The more and more I think about it, almost all of DDD's moves can kill ridiculously early on, his down smash is surprisingly quick and great for roll punishes, and his down air can even spike if spaced properly. So the bottom line is, why is DDD still low tier!?
Because realistically, tiers are always going to be flawed. There will never be perfection, since the meta is always changing. Characters that are low tier, will remain low tier, unless people can use said character with consistent wins. The best we can do for DDD is just use him to our BEST. Show people that, "Hey, this character is awesome!"

KatoRyusaki

Smash Rookie
NNID
katoryusaki
True, the down throw -> up air -> up air -> up b combo is not lethal in the presence of DI on a high ceiling stage. But the kill is guaranteed if performed on stages like Delfino or Halberd, or on platforms that are relatively close to stage ceiling.

I'm a ZSS main and I love that combo. But it is certain that low ceiling stages like Halberd and Delfino would get banned by the opponent against ZSS in tournament play.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Its funny...

Today I was doing some tests and from the centre of the stage, Ness actually has the THIRD strongest kill throw.

#1 is Mewtwo uthrow, #2 is charizard uthrow and #3 is Ness bthrow.

Obviously with platforms Charizard takes the #1 spot and near the edge Ness does, but overall I think Mewtwo and Charizard both have the claim to the strongest kill throws across all stages on average.

KatoRyusaki

Smash Rookie
NNID
katoryusaki
Its funny...

Today I was doing some tests and from the centre of the stage, Ness actually has the THIRD strongest kill throw.

#1 is Mewtwo uthrow, #2 is charizard uthrow and #3 is Ness bthrow.

Obviously with platforms Charizard takes the #1 spot and near the edge Ness does, but overall I think Mewtwo and Charizard both have the claim to the strongest kill throws across all stages on average.
Are you sure? I did a quick test just to check. I randomly chose Sheik as the dummy and tested all the throws on Final Destination. My results were:

Ness Back Throw kills from centre stage at 111%
Charizard Up Throw Kills from any where on stage at 114%
Mewtwo Up Throw kills from anywhere on stage at 121%

Clearly Ness still has the strongest kill throw by default.

But in practical game play, situations may vary depending what stage and the location that the throw is performed.

Ness will obviously kill much earlier if he back throws towards the blast zones near the edge.
Charizard's up throw would be kill extremely early if released on a stage with elevated platforms or just on a low ceiling stage like halberd.

By the way, I think Charizard is actually a pretty a viable character now that his down throw is a combo set up and that his up throw is such a powerful and guaranteed killing tool. Although he still has a poor neutral game.. What tier do you people think he belongs in now?

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Well I have some videos to prove it...

I tested on a yoshi, with optimal DI and from the centre of FD he died at 111% to mewtwos uthrow, 115 to charizards uthrow and 116 to Ness bthrow with 99% rage on mewtwo/charizard/ness. (I did it at 99% because I was testing something else at the same time when I noticed the kill throw %'s seemed strange)

Maybe rage has a greater affect on Mewtwos throws than it does to Ness?

Last edited:

KatoRyusaki

Smash Rookie
NNID
katoryusaki
Well I have some videos to prove it...

I tested on a yoshi, with optimal DI and from the centre of FD he died at 111% to mewtwos uthrow, 115 to charizards uthrow and 116 to Ness bthrow with 99% rage on mewtwo/charizard/ness. (I did it at 99% because I was testing something else at the same time when I noticed the kill throw %'s seemed strange)

Maybe rage has a greater affect on Mewtwos throws than it does to Ness?
Then I don't know. I tested on training mode where there is no presence of the rage effect.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
-mac should be up there, maybe the best, shame hes such a gimmick pick... almost all his moves kill, shamefully, anything you do to him kills him

-luigi has a lot... upb, downb, all his smashes, his bair, his spike, a good luigi has no problem killing

-surprisingly (my secondary) metaknight... his BAIR kills extremely low off stage, and when fast falled catches a lot of people off guard... also, d smash backwards near the edge is pretty good (not brawl OP), upsmash and fsmash are solid, uthrow is a kill throw andddd... all his specials kill (specially up and down)

-rosalina... gimps too easy with her aerials and luma and all her weird hitboxes, fsmash has great range, usmash is solid, uair kills crazy low, bair fair nair and dair all gimp with their huge priority

-falcon... need i say more?

-jiggs... a glass cannon... downb is high risk high reward, bair is just insane for gimping recoveries and also killing very early

-villager... bthrow on the edge, all his smashes, the anti noob tree, close up bair/fair, 3 turnip uair/dair, down and uptilt and of course your opponents charged up projectiles

-zamus has amazing ones... uairs to upb, downb, fsmash, downsmash, wait for knockback, followup upb/uair... bair... too many

-all characters with good kill throws: ness, m2, chari, etc

-all heavy heavyweight characters can kill you extremely early if they manage to land a solid hit

Browny

Smash Hater
I think Mewtwo has the widest variety of kill options. Of course Ganon/bowser/dk wins when almost every single attack is a kill move, but Mewtwo has a lot of options

All smash attacks are powerful kill moves,
KO projectile
Spike
2 KO throws
shadow claw

No other character has the same combination of being able to kill from smashes, aerials, spikes, throws and projectiles. ROB has all of those options but it takes a lot for laser to kill while Ness also has all of those if you are counting a high-up PK thunder.

Top Bottom