• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is worried Brawl might not be that good?

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
On topic please, we don't want this one closed.

I figured since that last thread is a community, more than a thread, there should still be a place for this thread, you can close it if you think this was a bad idea :)

me said:
Forums, in essence, are the most efficient way for which humans to carry on a discussion whils't online and while also in a large group, as instant messaging is too fast to be read if many people participate.

Given that forums are a means of enhancing human discussion, the manner in which people post, will reflect the very nature of their human minds, this is where I start my argument.

Changing topics, is a natural consequence of human discourse. During a class discussion, the topic will be lost in another one at times, but the teacher or the students will bring the discussion back. Expecting people to post contiunally about the same topic in a thread that has outlived it's discussion is absurd.

Discussion about one topic, especially after six months, requires fuel. Whenever this fuel was availible, via a new update, a new person with opinions on whether or not brawl will suck or not, the topic was at hand.

But given our human nature, yes we did go on topic, but we also brought it back.

A forum should be a conglomeration of tangents, glued together by an underlying topic. Otherwise forum discussion would not function, and it would not be enjoyable in the least.

I challenge you kirbyking, to show me one thread where EVERY post related to the topic at hand. And if you do so, I can give you 50 threads where the discussion fell off topic for every 1 ''perfect'' topic you can give me.

I refuse to post something relating to the topic of this thread just to satisfy your rules. I am replying to your comment, and in that context I do not see where the topic of the thread is applicable, though if it were I would not hesitate to add something.
Owned ^^

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
lol I think so too.

I didn't really spent alot of time playing smash bros melee (a lil bit more than one year now) but I would really like to have a nice sequel so that I can be there from the start to discover strategies and stuff.

If they take out stuff like wavedashing Brawl might still be a good game. But what I'm worried about most is the apparition of a huge glitch/bug that would make the game unplayable. ^.^

startin from scratch

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
ya this thread is also so that our community can make an argument towards why that thread brought friends together, and how it worked.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
What exactly is the point of this thread? Obviously every person is going to have at least a little reservation that this game might not live up to the hype.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
The thing I'm worried about is the Interent (not for myself, exactly, we have dial-up...). Beccause there might be lag and bugs that come along with Wi-Fi connection...

But really, that's only a small worry. The first Smash Bros. came out as something people were probably skeptical of at first. I was when I rented it oh so many years ago. But you know what? For the whole week I had hat game, I loved it, and had so much fun with the few--what, like 12, and that's not even that bad!!-- characters that were there. And then I got a Gamecube, Melee being my first game. I stayed up all night playing it, because it was just that good. It really showed me that Smash had just gotten better, and there was so many things to do in it. And there were so many more characters, so I sucked as, like Pichu, and some I was skilled at, like Peach. See, it's these kinds of things Nintendo has, that other companies simply can't get. It's that spark of innovation and imagination that makes Smash beloved by millions. It strays out from other fighting games completely, and that's why I'm not that worried.

Of course, there could be some bugs, and some glitches, but I'm not that worried. It might not come out exactly the way I wanted, but that's not the way things should be . (It's why Xbox exists. =P) We'll just have to wait 118 more days.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
My only concern is with the engine's increased use of physics, with an increased X factor comes an increased chance of a game-breaking "snaking"-equivalent trick.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
It'll never be the same, Dylan, it'll never be the same...

:(

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Petetition to re-open thread in forum disputes. Being made now.

I want EVERYONE to protest this unjustice with me, you all know who you are my friends, and theres more of us than they think.

If 30 people want the thread re-opened (and Im thinking there are at least 50 people who want it open) than I dont see why they wouldnt open it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Two quotes with pretty much the same fear.
My only concern is with the engine's increased use of physics, with an increased X factor comes an increased chance of a game-breaking "snaking"-equivalent trick.
huge glitch/bug that would make the game unplayable. ^.^
I wouldn't be too worried about this kind of thing, mainly cause smash has so many little checks and balances that even make the great stuff not broken. Usually there is some way around it no matter how good it is. Fox and Falco's shine crazyness comes to mind, and even that can be worked around (moreso with the higher end characters) with experience. I'm sure there will be new characters that have moves that can be adapted much differently than they were intended, and they may even become upper/top tier cause of it, but I really doubt that they will be broken. Seeing as how heavier characters will be immune to knock back during certain parts of their B moves.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
my only concern with Brawl will be the lag of online play, but other than that i'm not worried, because I believe Sakurai will do a great job

@Mr.GAW- where is Dylan anyway?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Forum Disputes (2 Viewing)
If you have a problem with a user, moderator, or policy, post your issue here. This forum is confidential; only senators will be able to see your threads. More info

Problem, Dylan.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Re open my thread.
My thread ''who else is nervous about brawl potentially sucking?'' Was more than just a thread, was more than just a topic.

It was a community. Via that thread I made dozens of great friends, and it served the purpose of bringing a lot of friends together.

This thread was closed for being ''off topic'' despite the fact that whenever an update occured, or someone had something to ask the attention of the posters was FOCUSED on the topic at hand.

We also went off topic *gasp* now I did see a lot of spam in the thread, no one will deny but I see spam all over these forums.

We also had consistent topics, Rpgs, Chrono trigger, marioworld stage design, match videos, and hundreds of other -valuable- discussion.

Closing an almost 400 page thread for straying from the topic of the original post which was made aproximatly Six months ago makes absolutly no sense in my opinion.

I believe this thread should be re-opened, and I believe there are many, many people that agree.

You didn't just closed a thread. You destroyed a community, whether you are kind enough to re-open it, I leave up to you.

I loved that thread. The only reason it was closed was out of spite towards me, and that's unjustified. I suggest the rest of you bring it to Kirbyking's attention that you're just as unhappy about this as I am, because I'm ****ing heartbroken over this, that thread meant more to me than this forum.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Tnga, that thread was so full of spam that it was ridiculous. I don't care about that stuff myself, but seeing as how that is a valid reason to close a thread you should be happy that it lasted as long as it did.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Tnga, that thread was so full of spam that it was ridiculous. I don't care about that stuff myself, but seeing as how that is a valid reason to close a thread you should be happy that it lasted as long as it did.
Um, ok and people don't spam other threads?

''spam'' in that thread was always a good discussion, that changed from topic to topic. It was not jack full of internet memes it went like this :

me : post about chrono trigger

superstar : post about chrono trigger

axem : post about chrono trigger

yeahdude! : post about chrono trigger

Some other guy : Mario rpg rocks

discussion : mario rpg rocks

-update happens-

Everyone discusses update to death.

Repeat cycle.

That thread was a community, one which I care for with my soul. That thread was a place of pure friendship and positive discussion, and you guys ruined it.

6 months. Why closed now? why closed ever?

perhaps we should start some kind of petition?
The question is, how?

Im thinking a thread in this forum with a poll, anyone got premium membership?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Ya, but online petitions are too ignoreable and cheesy.

I think Yeahdude has premium, im not sure. Someone does.

Thread + poll ftw.

Kirbyking has no idea how big our community was. He just decided to step on it.

Eaode

Smash Champion
yea, we seriously need that thread back. I don't care if I just got there, it was great.

we would stay on one topic until an update came and then we would discuss the update. but once the update was done with we had some more good discussion on various topics.

*sigh*

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
If you want to discuss a thread closing that you believe was unfair, there are other places that were specifically made for that purpose. Threads are not supposed to be conglomerates of tangents, especially when you post about things that belong elsewhere. That's how a forum works, and if you need that explained to you any clearer go to Forum Disputes.

Any more off-topic posts in this thread will receive infractions.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I feel kinda lost now, I always checked that thread even if I didn't feel like posting. Oh well.

I'm worried about ******** items, like pitfall and banana peel. Everyone is gonna want to play with items where I am so I'll be forced to play FFAs AND stupid item matches.

Anywho gotta go, my mom bans me off the computer for the dumbest reasons.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm not worried about the game at all. Super Smash Bros. is the only game series I can hype up... because it's the only one that ever comes out like we want it.

I just hope Sakurai makes his character choices wisely, no Plusle/Minum and Waluigi... please...

Eaode

Smash Champion
Truthfully, I am confident that Brawl will be a great game.

I do not believe that they will remove WD or other advanced techs because Casual players are sore losers. Hell, look at snaking, that's worse and it's still in since Mario Kart 64!

Of course it will be very different at first, with footstool jumping, crawling, tweaked movesets and new items (yea we're prolly gonna play items for the first few weeks), but that's what will make it fresh! =D

The closer Braw gets to release, the less I really care about the online. I mean I already have a good situation worked out for smash, I pretty much go to my friend's house every Friday. Online would be great, but if it's garbage/laggy/uncustomizable ten I guess I won't care that much really.

So yeah, I think Brawl will be great.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Threads are not supposed to be conglomerates of tangents, especially when you post about things that belong elsewhere. That's how a forum works
I beg to differ, friend :)

Forums, in essence, are the most efficient way for which humans to carry on a discussion whils't online and while also in a large group, as instant messaging is too fast to be read if many people participate.

Given that forums are a means of enhancing human discussion, the manner in which people post, will reflect the very nature of their human minds, this is where I start my argument.

Changing topics, is a natural consequence of human discourse. During a class discussion, the topic will be lost in another one at times, but the teacher or the students will bring the discussion back. Expecting people to post contiunally about the same topic in a thread that has outlived it's discussion is absurd.

Discussion about one topic, especially after six months, requires fuel. Whenever this fuel was availible, via a new update, a new person with opinions on whether or not brawl will suck or not, the topic was at hand.

But given our human nature, yes we did go on topic, but we also brought it back.

A forum should be a conglomeration of tangents, glued together by an underlying topic. Otherwise forum discussion would not function, and it would not be enjoyable in the least.

I challenge you kirbyking, to show me one thread where EVERY post related to the topic at hand. And if you do so, I can give you 50 threads where the discussion fell off topic for every 1 ''perfect'' topic you can give me.

I refuse to post something relating to the topic of this thread just to satisfy your rules. I am replying to your comment, and in that context I do not see where the topic of the thread is applicable, though if it were I would not hesitate to add something.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
The majority of the discussion in that topic involved talking about Brawl and its new updates or Melee's advanced tactics and how all of this could potentially make or break the game for certain communities anyway. Right before you locked it we were discussing the online factor of the game and how it could potentially be good or bad. How the game could be good or would miserably fail, which was what the topic was about. It should not have been locked after that many pages unless it was spammed and meme attacked, and then it should of only been locked for clean up. The topic was still under heavy on-topic discussion.

It sucks that only the topic creator can see the Forum Disputes stuff too, a lot of us want answers.

Anyway should we start this topic were the last one left off with how online could hurt the game if not done properly?

The_Brawl_Ninja

Smash Rookie
Wow this is my kind of topic O.o I saw an older version of this that was closed? Any particular reason? oh wait I see you're talking about off topic posts, well those are bad I guess but they kindda always happen :S

Anyway Im pretty worried brawl might suck because Im pretty good at melee and super smash bros 64, Ive even entered a few tournaments..

Things that might make brawl suck would be removing wavedashing, not being able to turn of final smashes, and items in general just suck.

Not to mention the fact that they're doing a 1 player mode and wasting time on that when they could be actually working on the game, ie : vs mode, because 1 player mode is a waste of time.

I do not like ''this world'' I think its a big waste of time, and the only version of 1p there should be would be training mode WITH THE ABILITY TO USE THE C-STICK.

grr if they forget the c-stick in 1p mode again Ill be angered.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hey, some of us of don't go out and play tournaments and such.

A great 1 player mode is exactly what I'm wanting. I'm sure they're working on Vs. mode too, I mean come on, it's Smash Bros.! Just because one part doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's "a waste of time" to work on it.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Just because one part doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's "a waste of time" to work on it.
Bah, I just don't see the point of playing smash by yourself though. The space wasted with 1p mode could be used to have even more chars and stages in the game for vs mode.

But not matter what 1p mode is gonna happen, looks like they are trying to make it intresting this time, though I doubt it will be.

What? Comps don't DI. Fighting things that don't DI is pointless.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Dylan_Tnga, Brawl is a different game than melee. Maybe the CPUs will DI now, it is not the same game you don't know. Or it will play more like a decent platformer with fighting elements instead of a fighter with horrible platforming elements like Melee's single player did. Single player could be very very fun, it looks very fun and different than melee's. Hopefully they aren't using the fact that it looks nice against us and then we find out its as bad as melee single player.

The_Brawl_Ninja

Smash Rookie
Dylan_Tnga, Brawl is a different game than melee. Many the CPUs will DI now. Or it will play more like a decent platformer with fighting elements instead of a fighter with horrible platforming elements like Melee's single player did.
I really doubt computers will ever DI situationally and plan their DI patterns and change them depending on the actions of other players..

Comps just won't ever play smash properly. It takes a human mind to be good at it, we all know why, what with all the patterns that change every 2 secs, comps cant keep up, and they always tech the exact same way too :@

and they have no god**** idea how to recover either.

soo... 1p mode is still a waste of time. :embarrass

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Comps just won't ever play smash properly. It takes a human mind to be good at it, we all know why, what with all the patterns that change every 2 secs, comps cant keep up, and they always tech the exact same way too :@

and they have no god**** idea how to recover either.
Looks like they are working hard on this game, I think they will put more work into the CPUs recovery at the very least. I definitely would not be surprised if they even started to use real edgeguarding moves.

The CPUs dont need to be perfect, just much better. I think they could make DI and other function works decently by just using more random number generation to choose out of a certain number of things to do. So they will DI differently each time and such and wouldn't have as obvious of patterns.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The CPUs dont need to be perfect, just much better. I think they could make DI and other function works decently by just using more random number generation to choose out of a certain number of things to do. So they will DI differently each time and such and wouldn't have as obvious of patterns.
They'd still get 4 stocked by a real smash player. Computer AI is worthless in smashbrothers and can't hope to equal the level of a human, ever.

Prove me wrong, sakuraiiii! :p

Seriously though, the comps are gonna be as dumb as ever in brawl, I garuntee you this.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whatever this game brings, I'm ready to accept. I want new and different from Melee, even if it means changes I don't agree with. I trust the team to come out with a solid game.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
So... we're back on topic then? Are we being good enough for you mods?

now let me point out something :

This topic is the exact same thing as the last one. Delete this one, unlock the old one.

Back on topic :

I wonder how good the comps are gonna be at doing the footfungus jump? Maybe level 9s will have some uncanny ability with it just like level 9 ganondorfs up b skillz.

If they were good at it, I dont think it would make brawl suck though, thats a lil extreme :)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Comps will always have weaknesses, one of them is predictably. I don't think comps will ever be great [they're decent now] but as long as I have something to beat up that's better than a plugged in controller I won't mind.

chansen

Smash Lord
Tnga put it well when he said that the 1 player is a waste of space, i mean whats the point of playing by yourself unless its practice. They could have made a 1 player that was just as lame as melee's and people would still love it. Also, the Wii is a party games console, wouldn't it make more sense if there were more multiplayer options than anyone could ever imagine...?

Also: I wouldn't mind if the AI were a little more well rounded, like lvl 9's power shielding EVERYTHING.

/I want the old thread back.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Oh man, yesterdays update SUCKED. I forgot to even post about it

So.. an awesome cool character like Ike has Kirby's up B? Wow. That is the gayest thing ever, and I am NOT AT ALL liking the invincibility thing

Oh yay, invincibility DURING an attack. Great idea

oh wait no, thats going to ruin the game, my bad

Top Bottom