• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you secondary?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
While Ness is good and all, its hard to solely play ness, and if your in tourny play, sometimes you want someone to break out to kill the monotony or counter a certain character. To complement my Ness i personally secondary Sheik, and im thinking of picking up Peach. Who do you guys secondary? (btw even if i secondary a high tier Ness is still my main!).

But yeah, in detail i go sheik vs peaches, sometimes against marths
and my peach im picking up incase i want to use her against spacies (an alternative), not to mention other people. Ness and peach play extremely similar.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ness and Peach are way different (to me at least). My secondaries are Peach and Jigglypuff and thirds are Mario and Marth. I doubt my Mario or Marth will ever see the light of tournament play though...

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
None of my other characters are even close to viable for tourney play. The characters I play most outside Ness are Cap'n, Kirby, and Luigi. But in tourneys, I only use Ness.

I'd make some cool claim about why, but the simple truth is, watching a Luigi suddenly try to DjC is not pretty.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Ness.

Actually, i dont even secondary ness, i'd say i ternary him for low-tiers, at which point i'd probably secondary him for kirby (lol).

__

But to stay on topic, i'm going to make a general comment.

I say it's a good idea to have a secondary to cover your weak points. Some people say it's good to have secondaries to cover you main's bad matchups, but i personally believe that if you can handle your main's bad matchups, or if you main has no good (or bad) matchup, then who would you secondary?

So to say, you might have a secondary to contend with Marth, but you may also have a secondary to play on stages like rainbow cruise and pokefloats.

__

So all in all, i cant really answer this thread straightforward, but i just wanted to add my 10 cents for anybody who cares about my take on secondaries.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
Falco is my main.
Ylink my Lowtier main.
Ness is just my fun char but I'll see, whether I'll reach more with him in future (my Ylink is much better atm than my Ness)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I second Ness >.> that doesn't help.

I main Samus, though.

Yartch

Smash Cadet
I really don't havea secondary, since Ness is pretty much my main and secondary. The only othe characters is ever use though are Kirby and Ganondorf.

KrulNess

Smash Apprentice
mario....ic....luigi

i actually play random when i'm with my friends (we only choose random against each other with random stages)

it makes life much more interesting

but i never play captain falcon or pichu.....ever

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
How can you second IC? It takes a lot of dedication to play them. They harder than Ness to learn (I think the only character harder than Ness).

indie_dave

Smash Ace
peach, fox, ice climbers, luigi, doc/mario, captain crotch, and ness for me.
i've been told i have too many characters, but i like playing ALL of them so too bad.

personally, ics were easier to pick up then ness.
especially since i still don't do advanced pkt jutsu, so i consider ness a huge part of my learning curve for smash period.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I main IC, Ness, and GaW, in that order. My secondaries are Bowser, Mewtwo, YLink and Mario.

I don't pick characters to make up fot my weaknesses. I pick characters that I enjoy. I guess bottom/low/mid tier characters are just more fun than others.

Dekar

Smash Apprentice
I main ness.

As for counter picks/seconds go in this order.

Falco
Marth
Y.Link

I like having this array of chars to pick out for counters. Each of my chars has a completely diff move set and set of counters. + i can switch between them without warming up. So its gravy.

edit: Well i guess you could of just looked at my sig, cause i have it in left to right order

indie_dave

Smash Ace
Ness and peach play extremely similar.
ness and peach similar? how so???
very curious re your answer.. idk maybe in the sense that they're both arguably extra unique characters and aerialists. also, i <3 peach's Fair, even use it more than ness' Fair. float canceled divebomb death fairs ftw!!! [vidjo is hot]

goatrope

Smash Rookie
I main Ness, but I do not have a real secondary. I have tried pretty much every character in the game and I simply can't get comfortable using any of them like I do with Ness. No other character is similar to him in a way that would allow easy switching between the two of them. This is one of the reasons I'm really hoping he makes it into SSBB intact.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
ness and peach similar? how so???
very curious re your answer.. idk maybe in the sense that they're both arguably extra unique characters and aerialists. also, i <3 peach's Fair, even use it more than ness' Fair. float canceled divebomb death fairs ftw!!! [vidjo is hot]
Only things I can think of:
Both are floaty, have good aerials, can djc, have good dash attacks, have a throw that is a KO move.

I wouldn't say they play similarly, but they are similar enough that it makes sense for someone who doesn't play everyone to play both.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
Only things I can think of:
Both are floaty, have good aerials, can djc, have good dash attacks, have a throw that is a KO move.

I wouldn't say they play similarly, but they are similar enough that it makes sense for someone who doesn't play everyone to play both.
yeah, but it is kinda true that you have to work at making either of them fast, but once you get the hang of it they're potential combo machines. so in that sense they play similarly. good calls, thx!

Waning Light

Smash Rookie
Secondary, for me... I suppose would be Young Link, although I almost always use Sheik. The odd techniques and ability to wall jump suit me.

Top Bottom