• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you plan to unlock first/in order?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Title says it all. We know we are starting with the original 8, or is it the original 12? Either way, everyone else should be unlockable. With that said, who do you plan to unlock? And in what order, if I may ask?

Sorry if this topic has been done before/already exists in advance.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
If we have the option to keep certain characters locked, I'll probably keep :ultbayonetta: away from my character select screen.

But there's the possibility that after X-hundred matches, I'll be pestered with a "Challenger Approaching" every time I play, in which case she'll just stay sheathed.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
You unlock every character just by playing the game you know

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit and Palutena are the ones I will go after first if they need to be unlocked, that's pretty much it, though I admit it'd be pretty awkward if we have to unlock Pit in the first place... now Palutena I can understand.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Castlevania rush baybee! I'm gonna try to play on Dracula's Castle till I unlock Simon Belmont (or Richter) based entirely on a hunch I've had for months. Since you could unlock Snake in Brawl by playing on Shadow Moses Island 10 times, I assume that a similar technique will work for a lot of other characters because every stage is unlocked from the start of the game. Once I get one Belmont, I'm gonna try to beat classic mode as one since I assume that that will let you unlock the other.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
Rushing Jigglypuff and Ganondorf for me - then Falcon for my friend.
And then its Multiplayer all the way for the remaining day.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I hope the game's unlocking methods loosely follow the numbering order from the website. It'll be really cool to build up from the Original 12 to Melee, then Brawl, then 4, then finally the newcomers. So, with that, I want to unlock :ultpeach: first. As much I'd theoretically like to just rush and unlock :ultridley: and :ultsnake:

I'm fairly sure VS Mode will be like that, but I don't want just to repeat VS matches to unlock everyone

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I kinda want to unlock characters in the order they were introduced. It would be cool to have a Smash roster that was just the Melee or Brawl rosters for a while before unlocking more characters.

If it's too much work to unlock characters in order though I might just unlock characters in a random order just by playing the game.

If Isaac and/or Banjo & Kazooie get in I'll be seriously tempted to unlock them asap though.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I'll go in blind and randomly unlock characters as I go. If I'm missing some characters in the end and am clueless how to unlock them, then I'll look up their requirements. Otherwise, randomly.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:ultike::ultsnake::ultrosalina::ultcloud: are a must, in no particular order. Afterwards, I’ll work on the rest.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:ultdiddy:; which should be relatively easy I imagine. After that I don't really care.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I'm taking my time while obtaining new challengers.

So until my friend and I receive the whole roster, I'm sticking with Mario, DK and Kirby as my characters of choice.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It depends on how characters are unlocked and if I have any control over the order. Ideally, I'd love to get Snake first, but I have a feeling he won't be available so early.

If the Amiibo rumor is true, I plan to experiment with a couple like Ryu and Chrom to see if they unlock that way though I don't intend to use this method too much.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For me, I go with K. Rool first, then Sonic, then Wolf, and go for anyone after that in no particular order.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming Amiibos turn out to be true definitely K. Rool, Bowser, Ridley and Dedede.

Otherwise I'll unlock everyone else through however the game does it.

Last edited:

B’Nana

Smash Cadet
Bro I’m taking my time. All I need is Roy and I’ll be set to crush WiFi tournaments.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
First, I think the starting roster is the original eight. Second, it depends on what the unlocking method is. I hear a rumor that Amiibo might be a way to unlock. I have several post SSB starters like Pac-Man and Dedede. If this method pans out. I'll use the Amiibo I have to unlock the ones I have, then work from there. I'll strive to unlock the newcomers, especially Ridley and Simon.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
If the amiibo thing turns out to be true, I'll scan :ultmarth: and :ultinkling: into the game, then proceed to unlock everyone else naturally.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit and Palutena are the ones I will go after first if they need to be unlocked, that's pretty much it, though I admit it'd be pretty awkward if we have to unlock Pit in the first place... now Palutena I can understand.
It will be weird to unlock Pit (and many others who have only been starters up until this point), but with the way Ultimate is being set up, I can accept

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It will be weird to unlock Pit (and many others who have only been starters up until this point), but with the way Ultimate is being set up, I can accept
I do definitely get the idea of what Sakurai is doing starting with the original 8 (Or perhaps 12). It's a homage to the first game where they're the only characters you start off with. Guess he wanted to throw in a bit of nostalgia there. Even then he says unlocking characters will be steamlined meaning easy.

Personally if I were him I would give the option of unlocking characters many different ways. Easy or hard that way if people wants them right away you do the easy route but otherwise if hard and wanting a challenge like Melee then that.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I do definitely get the idea of what Sakurai is doing starting with the original 8 (Or perhaps 2). It's a homage to the first game where they're the only characters you start off with. Guess he wanted to throw in a bit of nostalgia there. Even then he says unlocking characters will be steamlined meaning easy.

Personally if I were him I would give the option of unlocking characters many different ways. Easy or hard that way if people wants them right away you do the easy route but otherwise if hard and wanting a challenge like Melee then that.
Well we might have the Amiibo scan idea that was somewhat revealed

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
In my heart of hearts, I want to unlock :ultridley:right away. SO many years waiting for him. But on the other hand, I want to enjoy the game and unlock character whenever I do, naturally. I just can't wait to play the game.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If I had to choose then :ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer::ultinkling::ultwolf::ultkrool::ultcorrin::ultridley::ultsimon::ultzelda::ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultyounglink: and then I wouldn't care about which order I unlock the rest.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Do we have any say in the order of unlocking?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'll likely try to get Inkling and Villager first. I might also do Chrom or Daisy, because I want to see what happens if you unlock an Echo before the base.

Ulk

Smash Cadet
I'm torn on who to unlock with amiibo and who to unlock by hand.

My amiibo options are:

Bayonetta
Inkling
Little Mac
Ness
Roy
Wii Fit Trainer

I think as my favorite, I will unlock Bayonetta first with an amiibo and do the rest by hand. Then again I'll probably hate missing out on a climatic unlocking process of my favorite character.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Assuming we actually have a say in the unlock order, I might just go in number order. So first would be Peach, then Bowser, then Ice Climbers... you get the idea. I've already got my favourite character :ultyoshi: unlocked from the start anyway so I don't really feel the need to hunt down anybody specific.
Edit: forgot to mention, echo fighters, if they're unlocked seperately, I'll just unlock whenever.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
We really don't know how unlocking works. I hope we get to choose who gets unlocked first.
If that's an option, I'll gun for K. Rool, Zelda and Pokémon Trainer first.

Since amiibo unlock characters, I'll also have Dedede, Lucas and Inkling from the getgo, that's neat.

Top Bottom