• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who decided that lag was based on distance?

VictorandMelissa

Smash Rookie
Seriously folks my boyfriend is playing someone in London right now with superb gameplay. Have not seen lag the whole round.
.......and he regularly plays someone from Australia.
How much sense does it make to say that you can't brawl someone cause you live in the US & they live in the UK????
o_O

If that were the case don't you think that other online games such as Blizzard's World of Warcraft or Dawn of War would lag because of the distance between two or multiple players?
........or how about Halo?

It isn't the player that causes lag people it's the amount of traffic on the dedicated servers Nintendo has assigned to this game.

Next time you're online brawling just take a second to notice how much lag you have during the day versus playing at 4am in the morning.
Of course I understand some of you don't have the luxury to be up that late.
Regardless no matter where you live as far as the time zones status is concerned in the US.
The lag is at it's worst from morning into late afternoon in most cases.
With hardly any lag at night for US residents.

VictorandMelissa

Smash Rookie
Is this the only thing you have to back up your argument?
............or rather statement.
I've been playing online games myself since Starcraft originally came out, when dial-up was your only online option.
Between now & then I've played a multitude of online games over the years & have to admit that I've never had a problem gaming with people who live on the other side of the world which I have also engaged in doing for quite some time.
I have years of gameplay & experience to back up my claim.
You only have a wikipedia link?
Sorry nothing against you personally but you're trying to back up your statement with a website that lets regular people who may not always know their facts add pages to an online informational community.
Of course they would like for you to have your facts correct, but that doesn't always mean they're up to speed on correcting those that have false statements.
Not saying that your link does, but again I have the years of experince in online gameplay to back up what I'm saying.

I'd like to know how you can offer that link & then kindly explain to me why my boyfriend can play SSBB with someone down the street in the middle of the day & have horrible lag where it's at a stand still & there's tons of traffic on these servers during that time & yet he can brawl someone at 2am from Australia with hardly any lag???

bobson

Smash Lord
I have years of gameplay & experience to back up my claim.
You only have a wikipedia link?
DeliciousCake has scientific evidence to back up his claim.
You only have anecdotes?

Lag is a combination of a vast and, in cases, unidentifiable amount of factors, distance occasionally being one of them. Because you don't often have a problem playing someone a large distance away from you does not mean that distance is never an issue.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I'm guessing you people have good internet connection?
Also, that article contains epic proportions of difficult words. :\

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
it isnt based on distance... but it is one of the things that cause the lag because the farther you are the more time it takes for information to be sent... and on top of that... their could be interferences caused by weather.. why do you think it takes almost a year to update a satilite?

it depends on your routers transmission speed... all the other things are obstacles...

how you are able to connect to people in uk with no lag means that your connection has very few obstacles

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
When it comes to Brawl Wifi, there is no such thing as no (input) lag.

Distance does have a direct influence on lag, but in the case of Brawl Wifi, because of its use of relay servers, it is not necessarily the greatest influence.

It's much more reliable to test distance's effect on latency through direct connection/pinging each other, rather than seeing how the latency is from your Internet connection to the relay server to their Internet connection.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
DeliciousCake has scientific evidence to back up his claim.
You only have anecdotes?
Well put.

Distance does have a direct influence on lag, but in the case of Brawl Wifi, because of its use of relay servers, it is not necessarily the greatest influence.

It's much more reliable to test distance's effect on latency through direct connection/pinging each other, rather than seeing how the latency is from your Internet connection to the relay server to their Internet connection.
This.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman

Do you know where the Nintendo relay servers are located in the United States?

VictorandMelissa

Smash Rookie
Anecdotes? Not hardly again must've missed the part where I have over 10 yrs online gaming experience & have never had a problem with lag really until playing online gaming with the Wii. Again with me it occurs during the day when even on Friend Finder there are loads of people wanting to brawl which obviously does not include people online waiting to brawl who are not registered on this site.

My argument is based on facts as well over 10 years of them.
Science is always changing & refining itself so if that's the case with the internet having been used for over decades now not speaking of just residential use here. I'm also including years of use by strictly military personnel before it was introduced into residential areas...
Shouldn't that say enough? The use and communication between 2 machines or a multitude of them should be exquisitely well refined by this point.
They're pretty d*mn refined for Blizzard or EA. (The Starcraft & Dawn of War franchises.)
..............or how about the millions of people who play HALO?
Guess Microsoft really hasn't seen much for gamers to complain about & I know plenty of people who play HALO online as a few examples I have to reiterate.
Explain that away.........o_O

If there is lag in the Nintendo's WiFi system maybe it's partly because they need more servers? Possibly? Can't count it out?

That's all I'm saying.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
I play Ship Simulator 2008 on my PC with people everywhere from Europe to New Zealand!

Many times, AT THE SAME TIME!

Distance does not seem to matter.

Probably the Wii --> Router is the issue here.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It's common sense actually. The reason you're not seeing lag is because you both have fast internet, thats it, and maybe clear info tunneling. But for gosh sake, it's common sense that the farther the person is, the longer the information is going to take to go back and forth. LAG is BASED ON Internet speed, and distance.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Lag is not DIRECTLY linked to distance. Information travelling wires and fiber optics across long distances is not enough to cause noticable lag. Rather lag is indirectly linked to distance by way of relay servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet-switched

As is commonly known, the internet isn't a large organized system or network, rather a loose linking of all the computers connected to it. Because of this, any data sent from one point of the internet has to travel through hubs, routers, gateways, then relays, more hubs, at least another gateway, routers hubs etc etc etc, before it gets to its intended recipient. Distance isn't the problem, rather, it's a fair measure of how many relays a piece of data has to traverse.

Since passing through a relay (moving from one sub-network to another) is easily the slowest part of the data transfer process, the number of relays involved in transfer is the largest contributing factor to lag experienced. The reason for this is that any information entering or exiting a relay is analyzed by the system before being transfered, usually involving writing to and from flash memory of some sort. Writing to and from memory is a much slower process than just travelling through wires.

In short, distance doesn't cause lag, but common symptoms of distance do.

edit: the probable reason that nintendo games seem to have more lag is because nintendo's online gaming structure is absolute crap. This is common with japanese companies, go play some metal gear online. Since they funnel all brawl connections through their servers, that becomes a big bottleneck.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
Your all right :laugh:. Loads of things affect lag

One with anyone game I did, The lag was just terrible. It was like a frame every 5 seconds. Worst ive ever got to this day. Within the first 10 seconds of the game (which was like a minute in real time) I just put the controller down and left it, and went to get a drink.
I come back, look at the TV and the lag is totally gone! I'm like ahhhh and rush for the controller.

From that point, there was NO LAG, whatsoever. It was perfect, no button lag, smooth gameplay. It was like I wasnet online at all. (although, thinking about it now, theres a tiny possibility that all the other players expect from me, were disconnected, so I was against computers, But they acted human, so I dunno)

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Let's put it this way. If we had an enormous wire, and I were on mars, with a wired connection from my martian wii to one on earth, we'd experiance 30 minutes of wifi lag. (assuming Mars was at the point in it's orbit where it is 279 million miles away. )

To put that into perspective, if 2 Wiis were next together, and a wire went from one wii, around the earth, and to the other wii, there would be a lag of about 9.64 frames. Lag is real, and it throws people off, but the really bad lag isn't because of distance.

It's every other reason that's been stated in this thread.

Top Bottom