• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who agrees that Melee>Brawl? (more inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

=Snake=

Smash Cadet
competitive players are just having a hard time coping with the fact that they're n00bs all over again. before brawl was released people were *****ing that it was going to be melee 2.0 and now they're *****ing because it's not. flamewars erupting in every ****ing thread on crashboards is getting old, either adapt to the game or stick with melee, either way this forum is designed for fans not flamers.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
competitive players are just having a hard time coping with the fact that they're n00bs all over again. before brawl was released people were *****ing that it was going to be melee 2.0 and now they're *****ing because it's not. flamewars erupting in every ****ing thread on crashboards is getting old, either adapt to the game or stick with melee, either way this forum is designed for fans not flamers.
And just when we were getting somewhere a ***got resets the scale.
Good job with your flame. :)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Hey, guess what?

I was awesome, at least at the local level, in Smash. I had absolutely nothing to gain by jumping onto the Brawl train, other than... The fact that I'd be playing a better game?

I'm sorry you depend on glitches in a previous game to determine skill. I'm sorry that you have to have an endless combo to be good. Why don't you go play a healthbar fighter like Street Fighter and shut up?

Imp

Smash Apprentice
So funny how people talk noise and cave when called out on it.

Stop feeding your egos, if you like melee, go play it. Don't ***** and moan because you didn't get your way. Sounds like the self proclaimed "pros" are babies.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Hey, guess what?

I was awesome, at least at the local level, in Smash. I had absolutely nothing to gain by jumping onto the Brawl train, other than... The fact that I'd be playing a better game?

I'm sorry you depend on glitches in a previous game to determine skill. I'm sorry that you have to have an endless combo to be good. Why don't you go play a healthbar fighter like Street Fighter and shut up?
YOU'RE NOT EVEN TRYING ANYMORE LOL YOU'RE JUST MAKING YOURSELF SUCH A ***GOT AS THE PEOPLE YOU'RE FLAMING LOLWUT

Also, cruise control.

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
^i disagree with the story mode, it sucks ***. But brawl is better then melee. Just because you can't do **** quickly doesn't mean you can't combo. I am glad they made everyone more equal not completly, but better then in melee.

Vinodh

Smash Apprentice
To say you cannot compare brawl to melee is .... just wrong...
That's like saying you can't compare metroid prime 1 to metroid prime 2 just because they werent on the same disx.-____- We knew we were not going to get melee 2.0...we were warned this by all of the californian pros who tried the game...and sure the game has just bin out a week, but at the point where we know that l-cancelilng is gone (something PURPOSELY put into both smash 64 and melee in order for more competitve play) we know something is going downhill.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Rofl. Melee was all about 1 character, fox. Nobody can deny that. Brawl on the other hand is based more on mindgames, being smarter then your opponent. You must be pretty dumb then, and that is why you are arguing.
O.K let me get this right? Im dumb? Brawl is all about outthinking hun? Lets me and you play (<---theres my friend code)... I mean technically I cant beat you right? Cause Im so Dumb? Even better why dont we play for moneY? How bout...Oh I dont know a simple $10?...

<---Friend Code. So was up?

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
O.K ya know what Im tired of this.

CAN EVERYONE JUST STFU AND PLAY ME FOR MONEY!!? I NEED YOUR MONEY!! I KNOW YOU *****ES GOT PAYPAL... DONT PLAYY DUMB!

Sandwich

Smash Ace
O.K ya know what Im tired of this.

CAN EVERYONE JUST STFU AND PLAY ME FOR MONEY!!? I NEED YOUR MONEY!! I KNOW YOU *****ES GOT PAYPAL... DONT PLAYY DUMB!
I tell you what.
When I get a hundred dollars, I'll hook you up big time.

Big time high rollin, I'm talking bout paying like we do in Philly mm.

Five dollars signed mm?

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Can you L-cancel? No.

Can you WD? No.

Can you combo by Melee standards? No.

Can you edge-guard? No.

Can you *insert Melee tech here*? Probably not.

Is it Melee?

NO.

Seriously people, it's simple. If you're expecting Melee, you will be disappointed, even with HG mode and all that jazz. Do I agree with it 100%? No. Just because the name has "Smash Bros." in it doesn't mean it will play exactly like the original. It's a different game. Give it time. It may be deep, just not in the way that Melee is.

And for all the people saying Melee pros are out of a job now, if people really care about the competitive scene then Melee tourneys will co-exist alongside Brawl shills since it's readily apparent that Melee is more comp-oriented. Honestly, I think Brawl tourneys are a sham anyways this early in the metagame since all Melee elements were nulled, every character is balanced on the surface, and barely any ground has been broken in the metagame...then again, shouldn't that mean that these 'tourneys' depend all the more on skill?

Bottom line: If you want Melee, play Melee. If you want Brawl, play Brawl. I'm taking both for what they are.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Can you L-cancel? No.

Can you WD? No.

Can you combo by Melee standards? No.

Can you edge-guard? No.

Can you *insert Melee tech here*? Probably not.

Is it Melee?

NO.

Seriously people, it's simple. If you're expecting Melee, you will be disappointed, even with HG mode and all that jazz. Do I agree with it 100%? No. Just because the name has "Smash Bros." in it doesn't mean it will play exactly like the original. It's a different game. Give it time. It may be deep, just not in the way that Melee is.

And for all the people saying Melee pros are out of a job now, if people really care about the competitive scene then Melee tourneys will co-exist alongside Brawl shills since it's readily apparent that Melee is more comp-oriented. Honestly, I think Brawl tourneys are a sham anyways this early in the metagame since all Melee elements were nulled, every character is balanced on the surface, and barely any ground has been broken in the metagame...then again, shouldn't that mean that these 'tourneys' depend all the more on skill?

Bottom line: If you want Melee, play Melee. If you want Brawl, play Brawl. I'm taking both for what they are.

omg liek brawl haet lve brall aloen lets bash everybodeh who gots teh opinionz!!!!!exclamation point!!!!

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
omg liek brawl haet lve brall aloen lets bash everybodeh who gots teh opinionz!!!!!exclamation point!!!!
Oh my God, like, Brawl hate. I've Brawl[ed] alone. let's bash everybody who gots(changed to "has") the(changed to "an") opinion("S" removed)!!!!!!!!!!

I did my best.

One_With_Sumthing

Smash Apprentice
Nope, sorry but u fail. I'm responding in this topic because I want you all to know that we don't need more stupid threads like this. Its pretty simple, you don't like Brawl? Go and play Melee, its simple and you dont need to make a thread about it.
ACTUALLY, it's not that simple. :p
If someone would be a fan of SSBM, if that person, doesn't like SSBB, there could be many factors which would make it DeTrImEnTaL! Go play melee? That's hardly a solution.

One part of this I do agree on, however. Don't make a thread like this one about it; nothing constructive will come of it.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Oh my God, like, Brawl hate. I've Brawl[ed] alone. let's bash everybody who gots(changed to "has") the(changed to "an") opinion("S" removed)!!!!!!!!!!

I did my best.
Much obliged.

@Sandwich:

I'm not bashing either game. I'm stating that at this point Brawl is far less 'competitive' by Scar's definition. It's like a direct SSB64 sequel, which I absolutely love (except for the no l-canceling part), which allows for more thought and less muscle memory and spamming. However, I have my doubts that it will ever be as 'competitive' as Melee was due to the new physics.

I, however, am pleased with the balancing. I have very mild cerebral palsy, which as an unfortunate side effect resulted in decreased muscle mass on my body, more so the left arm/leg. That translated to me being unable to fully utilize techniques like dash-dancing, WDing and SHFFLing in Melee because I simply couldn't keep up with the lightning reflexes those techniques demanded. When Brawl came out, I was ecstatic that short-hopping was overall easier and that accursed WD was non-existent since air dodges were now more inline with actual physics. I overall find Brawl more enjoyable despite lack of competitiveness, simply because I can now perform on the same level physically as everyone else. I still play Melee, but Brawl will be my game of choice 9 out of 10 times.

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
For 1v1 I think Melee is better. Most of the Brawl matches that I have played have been campy, drawn out, and just not very fun. The deficiency of viable offensive tactics becomes problematic against characters with an abusable projectile. They force you to approach, and when you finally reach them chances are you will be punished because, as the defender, they have a distinct advantage.

However, 2v2 matches are a completely different story. Most of the benefits of camping are eliminated, or at least greatly reduced. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing 2v2 Brawl matches and believe teamwork and coordination make them equally competitive to their Melee counterparts.

The Executive

Smash Lord
For 1v1 I think Melee is better. Most of the Brawl matches that I have played have been campy, drawn out, and just not very fun. The deficiency of viable offensive tactics becomes problematic against characters with an abusable projectile. They force you to approach, and when you finally reach them chances are you will be punished because, as the defender, they have a distinct advantage.

However, 2v2 matches are a completely different story. Most of the benefits of camping are eliminated, or at least greatly reduced. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing 2v2 Brawl matches and believe teamwork and coordination make them equally competitive to their Melee counterparts.
Actually, I was thinkg the same thing. 2v2 on Wi-Fi occupies much of my spare time.

sincityserious

Smash Apprentice
wow arent you kool lol ya everyone here are nubs lol

Oh, excuse me, I was just trying to talk like you for a little bit there. Your grammar reeks of immaturity and a certain elementary school bully I once had in 3rd grade.

Now, back on topic.

I do not own Brawl yet, but it's coming in the mail tomorrow. I played at my friend's house for 3 hours, and I admit myself, it did shock me a little bit at first on the whole change of physics, lack of wavedashing, L-canceling, etc. What I realized, after a little bit, was how minor a change it really was. As a previous user has commented, it leaves you with a more straight forward idea and concept to K.O. your enemy. Also, after an hour or hour and a half, I got used to it.

Anyway, I think Brawl is an improvement over Melee. Sure, I'll miss some things from Melee, like how slightly faster/heavier it was, wavedashing, etc, but Brawl really isn't that bad.
lol, silly nub. you have no idea; i'm shocked by your ignorance. never talk about melee when you don't understand it in the least bit; trust me, i'll four stock you without breaking a sweat. and, just like the bully you had in the 3rd grade, i'll beat your *** too.

sincityserious

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is not better than Melee.

The best thing about Melee was it's competitive aspect. It's what made people play it for 7 years. It made people want to get better, and they trained for years to reach their goal. People travelled all over the country and the world to play Melee because Melee gave them something to play for. Melee was competitive, meaning that it had certain aspects that set people apart in terms of skill, but, at the same time, made people love it even more because they had dreames to be the best or atleast be recognized as a good smasher. Melee is the bond between the majority of people who play SSB games. Brawl won't be this. With it's lack of competitivity, it'll become another "Hey what game do you want to play?" game instead of "Hey, lets practice some Brawl" game. Melee, for competitive players, was rarely set aside for another game. And even if it was, it was always the glue that held competitive friendships together.

Brawl won't last as long as Melee has.
well said. brawl will never be considered a competitive game; it'll die out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom