• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who actually likes Brawl?

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Since I don't have Ultimate yet, this is where i turn to practice Snake and the slow movment on top of the fact that my c-stick keeps making me jump is infuriating. The f***ing wii mote is actually more useful than a procontroller. Other than a fun romp through subspace I will never ever touch this rage inducing waste of time again.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a lot of fun, but usually only with friends.
Yeah, you have a point. Watching my GF giddily KO-ing me with Kirby's down smash was so much more rewarding then trying to learn Snake's combos just now. I don't think Brawl was meant to be competive.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Since I don't have Ultimate yet, this is where i turn to practice Snake and the slow movment on top of the fact that my c-stick keeps making me jump is infuriating. The f***ing wii mote is actually more useful than a procontroller. Other than a fun romp through subspace I will never ever touch this rage inducing waste of time again.
Sounds like you don't know how to buffer things in brawl that's why it's slow to you. Also jumping with tap jump on by accident tells me you're not precise and gentle with your inputs.

Also just wait until you play forced input lag in ultimate you'll love trying to dash and nothing comes out. Another thing snake in brawl is nothing like ult snake so you're wasting you're time.

Last edited:

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like you don't know how to buffer things in brawl that's why it's slow to you. Also jumping with tap jump on by accident tells me you're not precise and gentle with your inputs.

Also just wait until you play forced input lag in ultimate you'll love trying to dash and nothing comes out. Another thing snake in brawl is nothing like ult snake so you're wasting you're time.
That's just the thing, tap jump is off and I'd be using the right stick--makes no sense. But you're right ult snake plays so much differently

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
Nothing like the new games lol. Some really terrible mechanics for competitive play, but a lot of fun though.

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
The casual side of me enjoys Brawl. I go back to that game more for fighting 3 cpus on a crazy stage than any other Smash game. Also, I enjoy going back to subspace every now and then. It had a broken Meta Knight that is fun to mess around with. I just have fun anytime I come back to Brawl but then again, I enjoy every Smash game to some extent.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Nothing like the new games lol. Some really terrible mechanics for competitive play, but a lot of fun tough.
Are you bad at the game or is it that you haven't put enough time to find out how to play the game? You can't use tripping as an excuse since there is a code to remove it.

The game is pure neutral very few guarantees. You have to think to make things work.

I suppose you can hate on the game despite the fact that the players you love that dominate the new game learned from the "terrible mechanics for competitive play" game.

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
Are you bad at the game or is it that you haven't put enough time to find out how to play the game? You can't use tripping as an excuse since there is a code to remove it.

The game is pure neutral very few guarantees. You have to think to make things work.

I suppose you can hate on the game despite the fact that the players you love that dominate the new game learned from the "terrible mechanics for competitive play" game.
Oh my god this post is so funny. I don't got time for codes, nerd.

I'm sure the competitive scene is fun and a lot better without tripping, but it's horribly unbalanced and not worth going back to regardless. Casual Brawl is the **** tho. I'm not sure why you're so defensive out of nowhere and accuse me of hating a game I literally said was fun. Also what are you even on about "the players you love". I am confusion?????????????? This also implies every ultimate player extensively played Brawl. Reading comprehension rate drops to 0.

By the way, you dropped this.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Oh my god this post is so funny. I don't got time for codes, nerd.

I'm sure the competitive scene is fun and a lot better without tripping, but it's horribly unbalanced and not worth going back to regardless. Casual Brawl is the **** tho. I'm not sure why you're so defensive out of nowhere and accuse me of hating a game I literally said was fun. Also what are you even on about "the players you love". I am confusion?????????????? This also implies every ultimate player extensively played Brawl. Reading comprehension rate drops to 0.

By the way, you dropped this.

Well the yeah the good players that were good in brawl are winning right now so for you to hate on the game they came from just seems funny. They got good playing the unbalanced game. With the exception of Tweek.

Also I just wanted to know if you've played the game extensively to back up your claim unless you just watched an anti brawl video and took it as truth.

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
Well the yeah the good players that were good in brawl are winning right now so for you to hate on the game they came from just seems funny. They got good playing the unbalanced game. With the exception of Tweek.

Also I just wanted to know if you've played the game extensively to back up your claim unless you just watched an anti brawl video and took it as truth.
You make a lot of assumptions.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
I would love to play Brawl so I can play Subspace Emissary but my Wii can't read games anymore. Brawl was made specifically for casual players so if you play Brawl competitively then you're playing it wrong

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Because the subspace emissary adventure mode is the dopest crossover adventure mode ever and it will never be topped.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
Brawl for me is only really fun playing casually against CPU, and SSE which is a mode that I used to enjoy playing ages ago. I’m not really into competitive brawl because of how slow it is, and sure you can buffer moves and all, but it’s not really fun when a whole Meta revolves around just one character who beats the majority of the cast. It’s more frustrating than it is fun, especially with low hitstun.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Brawl was fun and had some really deep tech that kept me interested much longer than I stayed interested in Smash 4. It felt pretty satisfying to play until it was either play MK or learn characters with infinites to really keep up. I miss Brawl Snake and Toon Link. Snakedashing and autocancel arrows/zairs were tons of fun. I hate how stiff Snake feels to play now, and I feel like there's almost no zoner left in Ultimate that can load the screen with constant projectile pressure quite like Toon Link could in Brawl. The Belmonts come close but still don't quite cut the mustard to what really made me feel satisfied to play a zoner. Also RIP to the only somewhat viable iteration of Kirby's aerial hammer.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I'm talking about the Smash 4 one with Bayonetta. So they decided to bring back Brawl
That's not why they decided to bring brawl back. It was by the current brawl community that pushed more for the game in the past recent years so it was hosted more at tournaments.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Brawl for me is only really fun playing casually against CPU, and SSE which is a mode that I used to enjoy playing ages ago. I’m not really into competitive brawl because of how slow it is, and sure you can buffer moves and all, but it’s not really fun when a whole Meta revolves around just one character who beats the majority of the cast. It’s more frustrating than it is fun, especially with low hitstun.
I thought that you said that you don't like competitive Smash

Roserie

Smash Rookie
Brawl was my favorite game, and I'm not even joking. I even miss all of the taunt parties you'd see in online mode.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Brawl is an unbelievably fun game that I have had some really great memories with. By default, I consider it my favorite Smash game because if it wasn't for Brawl, I probably would not have been able to experience this community and meet so many of these wonderful people.

The game changed me.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
That only applies to brawl. The rest of the series I enjoy playing them competitively. Brawl basically makes it frustrating since the entire competitive scene is just Meta Knight.
A lot of bad meta knights. Also try looking at melee with all their foxes.

GhostM

Phantom
A lot of bad meta knights. Also try looking at melee with all their foxes.
The only difference is that at least you have a chance against fox, but you stand no chance against Meta Knight especially with his up airs that can be spammed 3 times in just one short hop that hits on frame 2, and his string of down airs and multiple jumps to air camp. I can understand why you like brawl, and Brawl is fun for casual play, but good luck trying to play the game competitively. It’s just not my cup of tea.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
The only difference is that at least you have a chance against fox, but you stand no chance against Meta Knight especially with his up airs that can be spammed 3 times in just one short hop that hits on frame 2, and his string of down airs and multiple jumps to air camp. I can understand why you like brawl, and Brawl is fun for casual play, but good luck trying to play the game competitively. It’s just not my cup of tea.
See that's the most intellectual statement I've ever seen. It's just not for you and I understand that. More people that hate on brawl should learn from you on how to present their opinions.

Also I've been playing brawl competitively since 2010 so my statement on "bad mks" is from first hand encounters.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
After getting to play Brawl recently for the first time in years...

Holy, do the newer games have us spoiled or what? I have to do WHAT to perform tilt attacks? I'm limited to how many moves out of a dash? Relearning was tough.

However, looking back at this experience, I probably would not have mained the character I did in Brawl if it were released as the newest title today. My experience in the newer games has completely changed my playstyle in comparison to what it was back then.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I love Brawl.
However, I will admit I have not played it in years and it is most likely because of my childhood.
I still value it as the game that brought me Sonic and Lucas, Subspace, and countless hours of fun.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Brawl holds lots of great sentimental value to this day. It has such a memorable story mode and boss fights. Stage building is also a fun option that was introduced back in Brawl.

Top Bottom