• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who’s a character you didn’t support at first?

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
There are actually quite a few for me... Probably the biggest is Bandana Dee, mostly because despite being a big Kirby fan in my youth (and general lover of Waddle Dees) I haven't played that many newer Kirby games. As such, I didn't realize how big he had become lately. Before coming here, Kirby Super Star Ultra was about all I had seen of him. Now, he's one of my most supported characters.

I also agree with you on Captain Toad. It wasn't until I saw arguments pointing out what a major character Toad is and how many playable appearances he's had that I realized he deserves more than being Peach's meat shield. I unfortunately don't see it happening yet, but I think it he would be a worthy addition to Smash.

Similarly, Dixie Kong is a character that I didn't realize was so important until I looked back over the Donkey Kong series as a whole. Donkey Kong Country was a little before my gaming career, so I had little exposure to the character before Smash speculation brought her to my attention. Now, I'd love to see her included as playable alongside Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and K. Rool.

Lastly, there's Isaac from Golden Sun, a character that I became invested in entirely because of Smash speculation. I hadn't had much experience with the Golden Sun series before the Ultimate speculation cycle, but his support among Smash fans eventually caused me to try and enjoy the first two games in his series. I'd love to see a Golden Sun rep come to fruition, be it Isaac or someone else.

So, as you can see, I've got a handful of such characters. I'm pretty satisfied with the Smash roster as it is in general, but I'd love to see these characters get their chance in the future!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ridley and Dixie Kong. I was originally opposed to Porky but I support Earthbound Porky. I didn't originally support Crash and Scorpion, which oddly are characters I greatly know. Dragonborn, I didn't get at first, now I greatly support. Waluigi is still a character I don't fully know I support, not impressed by his spinoff inspired moveset, honestly.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was not at all into Incineroar.

Then both of my childhood cats died, and I realized he is nearly a hybrid of the two. Him getting into the game felt like a tribute to my favorite childhood game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shantae. I first heard about her series during the Smash Ballot because I kept hearing her name as a popular request and was thinking: "Who is this? I really hope this nobody doesn't make it in over K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie." A couple of years later I played Pirate's Curse for the first time and that was when I fell in love with the series and Shantae as a character. Now I am in full support of her inclusion and now she is in my top 10 most wanted list.

Last edited:

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
I've never played Dragon Quest and was very disappointed by the reveal of what appeared to be another anime-looking sword fighter, but once I saw his moves I started to really enjoy Hero's inclusion into the game. The RNG mechanic can be annoying, but it's very exciting and unique without making Hero OP.

TastyFalcon

Smash Rookie
Definitely Toad. Especially after his garbage moveset in Super Smash Bros. Crusade fangame. I was like "Yeah, this doesn't work"
And then I saw the Toad PM mod and was blown away. However, I've always wanted Waluigi or Geno over Toad as a new Mario character.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong. I always assumed that she would have been a shoe-in for Smash at some point during both Smash 4 and Ultimate, while King K. Rool was M.I.A. as a main villain in his home series since DK64, so I rooted for King K. Rool as a Smash fighter significantly more. I also felt like King K. Rool's potential moveset, heavy status, and goofy personality would fit me as a main way more than Dixie Kong would. With that said, I always wanted King K. Rool since Melee. I feel like both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong were long overdue, but now that we finally have King K. Rool in Ultimate, it really does feel awkward that Dixie Kong is not included in my opinion.

Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, and King K. Rool are indisputably the four most important characters in the DK series. While I did always want Dixie Kong, I really started to notice how absent she was when a more "irrelevant" character came back from the dead first, while Dixie Kong was fresh off of Tropical Freeze for both Smash 4 (original release) and Ultimate (port). Plus, she is playable just as much as Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are in the Country trilogy, with the third installment even being her own game. If anyone grew up playing the DKC games, Dixie Kong would be remembered just as much as the current three DK characters in Ultimate. Dixie Kong is the last must-add first party character in my opinion, besides Toad, and she would fit right in alongside the likes of Peach, Samus, and Zelda. Hopefully she's a shoe-in for the next Smash, whenever that would happen.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
A few years ago when I did my virtual dojo for Master Chief, I did it mostly as a joke knowing that it is one of two impossibilities (the other was Waluigi). But as I drafted, looked into the potential moveset, and mechanics, the history of Halo, I realized how cool this really could've been. And how monumental of an announcement this wouldve been that this could possibly make Cloud's announcement look tame by contrast.

Also Diablo. I never played a Diablo game but when Blizzard said that they'd like it to happen. I ROFLed so hard at the idea of the Devil in Smash that I boarded that hype train immediately. Also like Heihachi, Diablo would be a guest villain.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Isaac from Golden Sun. I know nothing of the series and have never played a single game HOWEVER I pop into his support thread from time to time and they are a bunch of patient loyal people. As someone who's most wanted was K.Rool, "A irrelevant character with no future" people claimed. It made his reveal all the more sweet and now K.Rool definitely has a future and will more than likely appear in the next mainline DK game thanks to Smash. I want Isaac and Golden Sun fans to feel the same. Cause if Isaac is ever added its a greater chance his series could see a future and their is nothing wrong with adding more variety to Nintendo's 1st party output (especially on Switch).

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Ridley. I originally agreed that he was too big to join Smash and before Ultimate he was a stage hazard. This was during the Smash Ballot.
So basically this guy on Miiverse told his story on how he got bullied for wanting Ridley in Smash on Miiverse.
I got pretty enraged by that because he was just being bullied for wanting a character. and then became a Ridley supporter, to well support that guy.
And ever since then I did want Ridley legitimately when Ultimate was announced.
You could imagine my joy when he did get in
I hope that guy was happy at that E3.
Also, don't go out of your way to bully someone for wanting a character in Smash. It's not great in general and it doesn't make you look good.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ridley. Thought it would be impossible to make his size work but they did it well. Also Banjo because I had no clue why some rando from the 90s was so wanted but I get it a bit now that I've seen more of him. Also was more into the idea so the Banjo vs. Steve wars of last year would finally end

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ridley. Thought it would be impossible to make his size work but they did it well. Also Banjo because I had no clue why some rando from the 90s was so wanted but I get it a bit now that I've seen more of him. Also was more into the idea so the Banjo vs. Steve wars of last year would finally end
well he wasnt a rando he was a beloved character

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From my perspective he wasn't. Had no recent games and I had never heard of him outside of Smash speculation talk
there in lies the point, for those of us who were there banjo and kazooie are beloved characters from a pair of much loved n64 games who probably would have been in smash long ago had microsoft not bought rare. they were once nintendo icons and while no one seems to talk about them any more thats probably cause everyone had given up on micrsoft ever doing anything with the series yet the carried on hoping for smash as with smash what many thought was impossible happens.

people love banjo kazooie to this day for reasons beyond just nostalgia they were by no means just a pair of random characters

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
there in lies the point, for those of us who were there banjo and kazooie are beloved characters from a pair of much loved n64 games who probably would have been in smash long ago had microsoft not bought rare. they were once nintendo icons and while no one seems to talk about them any more thats probably cause everyone had given up on micrsoft ever doing anything with the series yet the carried on hoping for smash as with smash what many thought was impossible happens.

people love banjo kazooie to this day for reasons beyond just nostalgia they were by no means just a pair of random characters
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to argue BK should be literal whos to everyone and it makes no sense that people like them. I'm just saying that in my personal experience leading up to paying attention to Smash stuff, BK was a literal who to me and it took me a while to understand why people cared so much about some bird and bear from the 90s when we had all these other, more recent characters that would be so cool to get. I understand all the points now as I've looked into it more.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to argue BK should be literal whos to everyone and it makes no sense that people like them. I'm just saying that in my personal experience leading up to paying attention to Smash stuff, BK was a literal who to me and it took me a while to understand why people cared so much about some bird and bear from the 90s when we had all these other, more recent characters that would be so cool to get. I understand all the points now as I've looked into it more.
well i was just trying to make it clear why everyone loves them so much. i suppose everones has those characters theyre unfamiliar with and cant understand why everyone else loves them so much

though i feel i should note only one their games came out in the 90s, most were out in the 00s

Heoj

Smash Ace
Probably Reimu, didnt really know or care about Touhou, theres still a lot i dont know but seeing some moveset art just sort of made me go, "oh dang this looks pretty cool, i hope she makes it in someday!"
Shes not one of my most wanted but she definitely in the top ten.

BUFF MY PUFF

Smash Apprentice
i didnt say he came out in the 00s i said thats when most of his games came out as in 4 out of 5 of them
No, the game "Banjo-Kazooie" came out in 1998.
Banjo-Tooie came out in 2000.
Grunty's Revenge came out in 2003.
Nuts and Bolts was in 2008, but it's not even a true Banjo-Kazooie game, it's a vehicle constuction game.

So I'd say 2/4, if you count Nuts and Bolts (real BK fans don't) 3/5.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, the game "Banjo-Kazooie" came out in 1998.
Banjo-Tooie came out in 2000.
Grunty's Revenge came out in 2003.
Nuts and Bolts was in 2008, but it's not even a true Banjo-Kazooie game, it's a vehicle constuction game.

So I'd say 2/4, if you count Nuts and Bolts (real BK fans don't) 3/5.
you forgot banjo pilot in 2004 its 4 out of 5. even then youre still just proving my point that most of the games came out in the 00s and only one came out in the 90s

also its not up to the fans which games to count its up to rare

Last edited:

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
Probably Reimu, didnt really know or care about Touhou, theres still a lot i dont know but seeing some moveset art just sort of made me go, "oh dang this looks pretty cool, i hope she makes it in someday!"
Shes not one of my most wanted but she definitely in the top ten.
You should really play some of the games if you haven't yet. Some of them are on steam now.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Shantae. I heard the prospect of her in Smash, and was angered by the prospect of this "not for good boys and girls"-looking obscure genie girl in my Nintendo/Gaming All-Star roster. I was a legit hater. And then Bayonetta happened. Salty about Bayo, I looked at Shantae again, since she's not nearly as bad as the witch, and saw a legit indie underdog with a real fanbase (ignoring certain kinds of people), a fun personality and an even more fun moveset. From there, she kinda took my heart like a Phantom Theif, becoming one of my top 3 (2 now) with Inkling and Bandana Dee and is currently tied for #1. Is she possible? Absolutely not. Goku (Yes. That Goku.) stands a better chance if you ask me. But would I lose my mind if she somehow beat the impossible odds? 99999999999999999999% yes.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Back in the Brawl days, I wanted Midna and even supported Skull Kid but viewed Pig Ganon as simply a Ganondorf transformation instead of a standalone character.

Looking at Smash 4's CSS with Sheik and Zero Suit made me realize the error of this closed minded thinking. Alongside Ridley and K. Rool getting pushed so hard, Ganondorf still being a Captain Falcon clone, and a fond look at the classic games made me realize Zelda was still missing it's Bowser.

Ganon wasn't really ment to be the alter ego of Ganondorf ala Sheik, Ganondorf was ment to be his backstory. We need a real Ganon.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Porky: I didn’t expected to support until I realized that his disappearance from Smash ultimate is a painful thing.

Hakkun (hakkun sutte): I realized his big potential of being a color sucker after seeing :ultinkling: being implemented to smash.

Captian Syrup: I realized that the Wario land series is not being represented properly and always Warioware was given the upper hand.

Boshi, Blood Falcon, Robo Mario, Fox (egg/game & watch), Shadow Mewtwo, Dry Bowser, Protoman, Shadow, Blue (:001::005::009:) and Ms. Pac-man: the introduction of echo characters has opened my mind more of what I want.

CATS (zero wing): I love it after playing it, having a 2D spaceship shooting rep would be amazing plus he can become the first 3rd party villain we could get, it doesn’t matter to me if he is unlikely or near impossible after all square-Enix currently owns taito :bubblebobble: and that is basically a step closer for it to become more possible.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ridley. I originally agreed that he was too big to join Smash and before Ultimate he was a stage hazard. This was during the Smash Ballot.
So basically this guy on Miiverse told his story on how he got bullied for wanting Ridley in Smash on Miiverse.
I got pretty enraged by that because he was just being bullied for wanting a character. and then became a Ridley supporter, to well support that guy.
And ever since then I did want Ridley legitimately when Ultimate was announced.
You could imagine my joy when he did get in
I hope that guy was happy at that E3.
Also, don't go out of your way to bully someone for wanting a character in Smash. It's not great in general and it doesn't make you look good.
I wish Miiverse was still around at that point so we could have rub Ridley's inclusion in those ******** faces. I admit I had some memorable times on Miiverse, but sometimes it was cancer.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Lara Croft and Chris Redfield for me.

I thought Lara would be a duller Bayonetta, an acrobatic with guns akimbo, at first being unfamiliar with the games...and then I saw her use Excalibur to launch magic out of a sword, wield Thor's god damn hammer and all the other frankly bizarre supernatural artifact stuff she's gathered over the years. There's a lot of crazy potential there.

Similarly Chris Redfield is a character I've always enjoyed but never really felt needed to be in Smash...and then I realised a) he is the main protagonist, not Jill or Leon b.) He's the most combat ready Resident Evil character and c.) He'd be a heavyweight with plenty of range and fire power which wouldn't go amiss for varieties sake.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd say Geno, Waluigi, Dixie, Bandana Dee and Shantae are all characters I've come to support largely because of the communities around them.

I feel like there's something extra special about seeing a character get in when you know a bunch of people have been rooting for them for a long time. (I guess part of why I feel that way is because I know exactly how they feel)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I used to be against Sora and Waluigi for petty reasons (Disney content and three jerks giving him a bad rep, respectively). Thankfully, I've gotten over that. Heck, I even think Sora might be able to bring some Disney content with him via a loophole.

Also, everyone I want who isn't Bandana Dee or Shadow. My list of interests really grew after Ultimate released.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I used to be against Sora and Waluigi for petty reasons (Disney content and three jerks giving him a bad rep, respectively). Thankfully, I've gotten over that. Heck, I even think Sora might be able to bring some Disney content with him via a loophole.

Also, everyone I want who isn't Bandana Dee or Shadow. My list of interests really grew after Ultimate released.
non kingdom hearts Disney stuff would be separate licenses I don’t think they’d pay that much money for small cameos

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
I was against Steve in Smash at first, thought about it for a few hours, then actually thought he would be a quite nice addition to Smash.

I dunno, I think it's because it's almost impossible to truly hate Minecraft.

Last edited:

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
I was against Steve in Smash at first, thought about it for a few hours, then actually thought he would be a quite nice addition to Smash.

I dunno, I think it's because it's almost impossible to truly hate Minecraft.
I feel exactly the opposite. I really don't want Steve to get in. There's basically no way to put Steve in without making him look absolutely uncanny and uncomfortable (see Minecraft Story Mode). I also don't want him to get in just because we'd never see the end of Steve posting and Minecraft memes.

Top Bottom