• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Sonic do you prefer?

t0ki

Smash Rookie
Plain and simple the best sonic will always be SatAM sonic. I'll never understand why good shows always get canceled (ex. ren & stimpy, rocko's modern life, family guy *for a while*, ahh real monsters). It just seems so stupid to me that the only Sonic series that dared to involve itself in some slightly mature content and depth gets the can. Sega has become a shell of its former self and can only sell-out to make some quick cash.

Strongobado

Smash Cadet
I agree on some points. I love Sonic, but sometimes I have to stop and cover my ears when some voice acting comes up. I try to love it, but I just can't. Tails is probably the worst though.

I still love Sonic, however. His first games has given him enough respect to last through all these crappy games.

But I will say that Sonic deserves better, and I think Sega took the right direction with Sonic Rush, and Secret Rings. Sonic is about speed, and that is what needs to be delivered in a Sonic game. Not boards, or anything like that.

As for Brawl, I am really impressed with his model. His mouth is placed correctly, and he all around looks awesome, not gangly and wierd. Voice acting is kept to a minimum, which is nice, and his combat is VERY nostalgic. Its exactly what I wanted.

Thank you Nintendo, for bringing respect back to Sonic in Brawl!!!!

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Mah, I may like the newer Sonis games, but I have never even played Sonic Adventure, but Sonic Adventure 2 was fun, but not that great... it was boring. Every Sonic before that = Retarted. Every game after SA:2 = Amazing.

I was extremely happy about Sonic Chronicles. It is my 2nd most wanted game, maybe third.

Mama

Smash Ace
I've been a Sonic fan for 12 years (since I was seven) and I've always loved him. When Sonic Adventure came out I loved his new look. He looks sleek and built for speed now. Sonic Rush and Secret Rings were definitely a step in the right direction (as Sega said they were re thinking Sonic to be more like those games). I do loathe what they did to Tails in some games making him act like a darn child heroes was the worst I think. So far though I hate the majority of the music and the 3D games. I think that Sonic the Hedgehog for 360 and PS3 had the best so far though the game itself wasn't all that. (very little of that rock music bull shiet).

In Brawl I like what they did with Sonic. If they tried to use his original model he'd just look silly and fat.

Back on the topic of games I think Rush (haven't bought Rush adventures yet) is probably one of the best. Really goes back to the roots of Sonic and it looks great and plays great. In my opinion everything Sonic is looking up in terms of game play.

I hate cream...don't really mind Big all that much I guess. Shadow redeemed himself somewhat for me in the 360/PS3 games after his solo fiasco (but they still need to work on his ****ed attitude). Amy existed before Sonic Adventure and I think she fits in well. (she was the same age as tails but wished to be older so she could hang out with Sonic more). Silver is alright imo but by far my favorite new character is Blaze since she is essentially Sonic himself just from a parallel dimension... I think thats all I have to say for now lol

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Mah, I may like the newer Sonis games, but I have never even played Sonic Adventure, but Sonic Adventure 2 was fun, but not that great... it was boring. Every Sonic before that = Retarted. Every game after SA:2 = Amazing.

I was extremely happy about Sonic Chronicles. It is my 2nd most wanted game, maybe third.
Disclaimer: You are allowed to have your own opinion. In some twisted way everyone is right.

HOWEVER.

...what?? You can seriously tell me, with a straight face, that you liked the Sonic games AFTER SA2 BETTER than the ones before SA2? Really? You aren't just typing this up to get people pissed at you? Let me list those games again, just for reference:

Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic and the Secret Rings

Okay, Sonic Heroes was good- not my personal idea of a Sonic game, but good, so I'll give you that. Secret Rings was also fairly good, so that's okay too. But... look at the middle two and please, PLEASE try and convince me that they weren't crap.

Also to be mentioned is the fact that I didn't include the handhelds. You can make a case for those- I loved the Sonic Advance games and Rush wasn't bad either- but those are basically the old Genesis games with updated graphics. So, if you like those, then you should like the classic ones. Case closed.

fyi I'm not saying you HAVE to like the old Sonic games, I'm just reminding you that your idea sucks :p

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
He's entitled to say he likes the new games better as much as he wants. However, it's just a plain fact that SA2 and back are better console games than the ones that came after. That's not up for debate.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
The games I find acceptable are ,

Sonic (1)
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knux (With or without the cartridge addon)
Sonic CD (Genesis or PC version, I myself own the PC version.)
Sonic X-treme (If anyone has played the unreleased test, it's actually okay, but apparently it was bad enough to be canceled.)
Sonic ADVANCED 1,2,and 3 are all great , with strong ties to the original games, little story, no Voices, and the original characters, with the exception of Big.

Although alot of you said you like SA , I myself, couldn't get into it, I had the DX version for the gamecube, and its like.... I know I'm contradicting myself, but it's like it didn't have ENOUGH story, I would be fine with this, but I was going into the jungle into ancient temples, and controlling evil characters from time to time, and all of this had no story. WTF?

My Acceptable Characters, are all of them up to Sonic CD.

Sonic (Duh?) (This includes variations, Metal\Silver\Mecha Sonic, nut ONLY the 2D evil sonics.)
Tails
Knuckles
Amy.
Thats it, Shadow, Creme, Big, Silver, Blaze, anyone else, go die. (That robot guy too, what IS his deal?)

I also agree, go back to calling him Robotnik. It's fun to spell, and doesn't sound gay.

I was going to say something else, but can't remember.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well Eggman was what his original name was in Japan. This is one of the few times where I prefer the American name over the original.

And... ugh I can't believe I'm saying this... I... (like) Shadow. He brings a new, non kiddy but slightly dramatic character to the PBS-formula that is the new Sonic the Hedgehog. He's a good anti-hero, like Mario's Wario. I enjoyed playing with him in SA2 as well. But all the others past Knuckles? They can go die. Especially Silver. I don't know why, but I just really, reeeally hate him. A lot. Even more than Big. He's kind of lovable, in a goofy, ******** way.

Even more off topic: has anyone ever PLAYED Knuckles' Chaotix? I know the Chaotix characters have been featured in some newer games (I actually like these guys) but many people haven't even played the game they came from. I'm ashamed to say I actually own a working Sega 32x (I partially blame it for Sega's demise, but moreso Sega of America in general. Idiots.) and Chatoix was actually an interesting game. Sure, there are better Sonic titles, but there are worse too. This one was harder than the Genesis games, and it took me awhile to completely beat it. I enjoyed it.

[/offtopic]

I just thought I'd throw that in there, since we were bringing up the many, many characters in the StH series.

PS: Is Silver seriously in the background of Green Hill Zone??? Oh God, SAKURAI!!!! I can handle everything that everyone else loves to ***** about, but you put SILVER in the game??!! That's unforgivable! I'm contemplating boycott.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I love the old games, some recent games like SRA have been quite good.
Character wise I pretty much hate everyone introduced in SA2 especially Shadow, IMO he has been plaguing the series and stealing spotlight for far too long.
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman are the only good and needed character IMO, we didn't need emo Shadow, slutty Rouge and especially a white hedgehog from the future.
This was my reaction when I saw Silver the hedgehog in GHZ, it's pure blasphemy.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8542/1197562304344at5.jpg

Sonic-Smash

Smash Rookie
I personally like Sonic's current designs. And his voice was awesome in SA1 and SA2/SA2B. Tails' voice is just... no. And shadow is personally my favorite character. But that's just me...

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
He brings a new, non kiddy but slightly dramatic character to the PBS-formula that is the new Sonic the Hedgehog. He's a good anti-hero, like Mario's Wario.

Thats exactly my point though, the OLD sonic, was a mute-badass all in his own, he didn't speak , and had little to no animations , but he just radiated coolness and attitude. There was no need for a separate villain to contribute the "Badass" factor , we already had our badass fused with the hero!

Dark Aether

Smash Cadet
Thats exactly my point though, the OLD sonic, was a mute-badass all in his own, he didn't speak , and had little to no animations , but he just radiated coolness and attitude. There was no need for a separate villain to contribute the "Badass" factor , we already had our badass fused with the hero!
I personally love Sonic's Finger wagging pose, pure classic (wish they had made a taunt of it though) But, according to Sega, the silent protagonist role doesn't really fit Sonic that well, which is understandable to an extent, they probably wanted to contrast Mario by giving Sonic full voice acting.

Shadow on the other hand, is not really a bad idea. in 2008 he's a gun toting wannabe, a dying/dead trend, but back in 1999/2002 the whole 'mysterious powerful dark anti-hero' concept was pretty awesome and everybody was into the idea. Sonic Team caught onto this trend far too late and released a gun-toting shadow who was intended to be even cooler than before, just to end up as a crappy game following an out-dated premise.

I don't really think giving shadow guns was entirely stupid, he was basically nothing but a sonic clone with a darker makeover in SA2/SH. He had the exact same powers as sonic, besides running differently and using chaos control. (which Sonic now can also use). So they decided to make shadow delve into territory Sonic would never go near, Weapons. If, maybe the Shadow game was actually good, Shadow might be more popular, but it's pretty obvious he's dead to many sonic fans now...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You like a character because of their voice? There's something wrong with that logic. A character could have THE worst voice in the world, and STILL have a solid personality in there. The voice is just for decoration. It's nothing without something that it can base on.

Classic. Sonic had ATTITUDE back then. Modern Sonic got caught in the Mickey Mouse Syndrome (AKA Mickey's translation from a mischievous character to a kid-friendly character for marketing purposes). Not cool. Sonic's now a generic anime hero. The voice had nothing to do with it. The stories after SA2 were just plain lame. They couldn't even keep their own central character the most important character. New characters just keep overshadowing others. And, the dialogue...don't get me started.
Sorry that I worded what I said wrong. I meant to say that I liked Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 more than post SA2B because of the voice.

I however, will love Sonic no matter what happens.

Also, I love pre AND post SA Sonic. They're both so good.

Yeah, I really wished this was a taunt.
It IS an idle animation, along with his "foot-tapping".

Overall, I love Classic Sonic's Attitude (even though it hasn't really changed, despite what some say), and Present Sonic's looks, topped with SA2's voice actor.

I love the old games, some recent games like SRA have been quite good.
Character wise I pretty much hate everyone introduced in SA2 especially Shadow, IMO he has been plaguing the series and stealing spotlight for far too long.
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman are the only good and needed character IMO, we didn't need emo Shadow, slutty Rouge and especially a white hedgehog from the future.
This was my reaction when I saw Silver the hedgehog in GHZ, it's pure blasphemy.
I do admit that some Sonic characters dont quite fit in well for some, but I for one am always up for new characters. Besides, all the characters since SA2 haven't been that bad. I for one think Blaze is second best only to Sonic, while I believe that Shade looks pretty awesome.

Also, Marine is just adorable...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Seriously, Shadow won't get respect from older Sonic fans unless Shadow returns to his "normal" personality of SA2 back. And even then, it would take a few games to even get some hope for some trust.

That's how deep a hole Shadow is in now with Classic fans.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Seriously, Shadow won't get respect from older Sonic fans unless Shadow returns to his "normal" personality of SA2 back. And even then, it would take a few games to even get some hope for some trust.

That's how deep a hole Shadow is in now with Classic fans.
Unfortunately this is too true.

I really wish Shadow the Hedgehog never happened. Maybe he would've kept a large amount of that mysterious-ness to his character.

Also, story-wise, Sonic the Hedgehog never happens either, except that now Silver and Mephiles are legitimate Sonic characters, and I doubt that Elise will ever be mentioned again.

PS: You guys seriously need to calm down about Silver in Green Hill Zone. Really.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I have a rant in a different thread I can pull up if you want me to, about that Silver in Green Hill thing. Thinking it could probably stop at least some of it.

EDIT: Screw the Question. It's Important this message is known

Sakauri does not care what the ratings or how hated a character is.

If Sakauri cared about recent ratings of a game, he would not pick Sonic (Who is in, Yay) or even Megaman (Who is not in, sadly). Sakauri knew how popular and how huge a fanbase of Sonic in Nintendo was, so he put him in to assure lots of more Brawl sales. Because of Sonic alone, 90's video game nostalgists and Hardcore Sonic fans will be added to the fanbase of Smash. If Sakauri wants to satisfy them more, he'll put cameo appearences of most of the popular characters. There are actually people who like Silver whether you like it or not, and they are happy that SIlver actually appears. Sure they'd rather have him playable of course, but some are smart enough to be happy with him just appearing.

As for hated, if Tingle were on top of Sakauri's poll instead of De De De. Sure enough Sakauri would of made Tingle playable despite undeniable hatred in the US. Some characters that appear that are playable but have hatred as well are in. Like there are Serious guys who hate everything Pokemon, which means they hate Pikachu, and Pokemon Trainer. There is also a hate for Olimar because of how Kiddy he is just like Pokemon. Even if it is n00bish, it is still hate. And Sakauri does not listen to haters. If a n00b was against a character that ended up not playable and he's cheering with joy and he says "Hah! Sakauri listened to me! You Fail!" Then that really is n00bish, because surely there was no way the n00b or Sakauri could contact eachother. My point is Sakauri puts in characters (Even if they are not playable) that have a decent fanbase and puts them anywhere he sees fit.

There is no such thing as this "Priority" that people keep believing there is in placement. Sakauri just wants to represent the franchise to satisfy both Old and New. If he didn't have any respect for old, he would of canned Green Hill Zone as the stage and put Soleanna as the stage instead with no classic music from the 90's at all. If he didn't have any respect for the New, he would of made Sonic his older appearence and completely canned Shadow and Silver from being mentioned. Sakauri wants to represent Sonic as a FRANCHISE: He doesn't want to prefer Classic > New or New > Classic. He is trying his best to satisfy the content for Classics while not disappointing the new.

And for one thing, when people say "But Silver never appeared before on Green Hill Zone!". Well guess what, so didn't Tails or Knuckles. And they're running there too. And as they say "But Tails and Knuckles are actually good characters!" So what, read this post again and highlight Sakauri does not care about ratings, or how bad the character is. He's representing the whole 1991-present day franchise the best he can, and don't get greedy either. Because Sakauri also has to satisfy content for the 20 or so other franchises.

Sure Silver doesn't deserve to be in an Iconic stage like Green Hill, but keep in mind that there ARE people who are glad SIlver actually appears. Brawl isn't you you you, it's everybody everybody everybody. And protesting it will not help you or anyone else in the matter.

Whining about Silver in the background will not take him out, just accept that he is being considered a Sonic character. It hurts me too (I prefer classics as well), to have to defend Silver in this case. But saying he's not a Sonic character is Hypocrisy at its very best. Silver is a character, a character in a Sonic game, a Sonic game of a whole franchise, and Sakauri wants to represent the whole franchise. SO he puts in Silver here and there and hope it satisfys the general public.
Besides, it's not like Silver will get to talk anyway...

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
I dont have a problem with Silver being in Green Hill Zone, it just doesnt seem like that big a deal since its just a 3 second background thing that you wont pay too much or any attention to if you're in an actual fight on Green Hill. Also, I dont know what he's been doing in the games after SA2B, but I've grown to like Shadow, but not as much as Sonic. I played both 2d and 3d games and beat all the ones I have and personally thay were all great except for Heroes.

Top Bottom