• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Sonic do you prefer?

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Just curious. Am I the only person on the internet today who thinks that SEGA is dragging Sonic's name through the mud with all these new games. (Not saying, Brawl, but, you know, the new 3Dgames)

I haven't liked Sonic a bit since they've taken him off the Genesis and made him 3D, giving him a girly voice and legs that are as long as a giraffes neck.

Am I the only one that liked the ORIGINAL Sonic better, before we had all these new characters, like "Silver" and "Shadow"?

Thoughts?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Sonic was cooler before they added the gay buckle to his shoe. Seriously, what's the point in that thing? He's still plenty cool though. All side characters after Knuckles should go die in a fire though. Except maybe Blaze. Only because the Sonic Rush series is good though.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Thats almost exactly how I feel, its like they made him OVERLY kid-ish. Like, I know, he's supposed to be geared towards children, but EVERYONE used to love Sonic. Now they've given him a girly voice, Tails has an INSANELY gay voice, and even Shadow has lost some of his coolness in my eyes.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
They all seem to get younger with every game they release. Anyways, this topic really has nothing to do with SSBB. I'm just going to pretend this topic is about what Sonic color i prefer. That would be his original color, because most of the others look like ****. I kind of like the light blue one though, since it looks like he has some collected rings around his wrists. Sonic alt. colors=disappointing IMO.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
For me, I love the Sonic from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, only because his voice wasn't that bad, and definately more easier on the ears compared to his voice now.

I also love the current design from Sonic. Old Sonic was okay and such, but he looked way more cartoony than he does now, and I love the more mature look he currently has in Sonic the Hedgehog.

It gives me the feeling that he is growing up as I grow up, and I like it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I agree on some points, and in particular, some games. I still loved Sonic Adventure and SA2 (Battle). SA1 wasn't perfect by any means, but it was my favorite game when it came out, it's a bit of nostalgia I guess. Sonic Heroes was alright, then Shadow the Hedgehog and the creatively named Sonic the Hedgehog sucked the big one. Sonic and the Secret Rings was fun- but lacked horribly in the voice acting and plot in general. I don't know, there are plenty of times that I'm just like, "Sega, wtf are you doing??" BUT I still love Sonic. I don't know how or why. Then there are all of his new spinoff games like Sonic Riders... bleh, don't get me started.

But any Sonic game that is a 2D fastpaced scroller, I love. I have my Genesis and the original 3 + S&K, and I'll even take the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush games over the 3D versions. Yet... I still buy the 3D versions. Maybe it's in hopes that Sega will get it right, since he's practically all they've got anymore besides Virtua Fighter. But, eh, whatever. It looks like Sakurai sure got him right!

PS: This exact same thread could be put to use for the Starfox games. What on earth has Nintendo done with my favorite spacecraft-flying mammal???

SonicMario

Smash Master
As much as I like Old Sonic. "Modern" Sonic looks awesome enough in Brawl.

At least Sakauri decided to put homage to the old look with a sticker. It would have been cool if Sonic had a classic alt. But looks like that didn't happen.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh, if we're solely talking about looks, then I definitely like the newer one better. Old school Sonic is a good retro and all, but his newer look is much better, particularly in 3D games. He just fits better. I think Sakurai's team did a very, very good job at making him look good. But I am glad they stuck with his normal shoes, not those weird 90's Nike sneaker type things he wore in SA2. Those were pointless.

I thought we were just talking about the actual games, my bad.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The TC also sated about the voice. I say Ryan is better then Jason, But I have accepted the fact that Jason will do his voice until he is too old to do so (When his voice no longer sounds the same, It was why Tails's old voice actor was removed in the Adventure games) or if Sega fires him (Unlikely though...).

But I heard that Jason also sounds very good in Brawl. Despite in normal games there were criticisms. Old Sonic didn't really have a voice except for the TV shows. But why would you want Jaleel White doing all these games?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh yeah, that too. Jeez.

Ok, so voice... I think this one fits him perfectly, to be honest. I've never really griped about it. There's a subtle difference between now and Sonic Adventure, and if I absolutely had to pick one, I'd go with SA, but it's never really hit me that this new guy is, apparently, unbearable. I think he's done a nice job.

Again referring to Nintendo though... did anyone else mute their TV when turning on Super Mario Galaxy so you're eardrums wouldn't rupture at the sound of that high pitched voice screaming, "SUPER. MARIO. GAAAAALLLLLLAAAAAXYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!"?

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'd personally like to see the faces of n00bish Shadow fans to find out Shadow is not playable and comes out rather as a Pokeball type thing (As you know, he is an Assist Trophy)

I'm very happy Sonic is the only Sonic character playable. If I were Sakauri and I had to choose a 2nd rep it would be Tails. But I'm happy Sonic is the only one. Now Sonic can gain more fans while the rest of the new guys can just... suck it.

Sonic just looks awesome in Brawl, and his Audio shouldn't be too much of a problem. All he does in battle is say battle noises and the occasional "Too Slow!" taunt. But he doesn't go father then 2 or 3 words in battle. I don't think he even speaks much in the Subspace story mode either.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Modern Sonic. Modernmodernmodern. This is the guy who's spent his life searching for excitement and action, found lots of it, and has become mature and knowing, while maintaining the love of action that made him that way in the first place.

Not to mention experience, technique and ecterta. Don't get me wrong, Classic Sonic is cool and all. But the Adventure Series holds the frankenstein award for 'that's the greatest thing that's ever happened in the history of the universe ad ever will' for a reason.

If only they'd give him a good voice. And dialouge. If those were changed, I guarantee you that haters would ***** about half as much as they do now.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
SM: Agreed. And he does say something when he wins, but obviously I don't know Japanese. We'll find out if it's cool or kiddy when we get the US version. Plus, I love the classic jumping, spinning and spring noises that they kept with him; they give him that classic feel despite the new appearance. I love it.

DB: Disagreed. The storyline, dialogue and characters of any games past SA2 annoy me, true, but when it came to Shadow's game and the uniquely named Sonic the Hedgehog (as you can tell, I don't like the title), I was referring to gameplay. I was so stoked for both of those, only to be thoroughly annoyed the whole game by random glitches and running into every wall or off every side I could find. It ruined the "pure speed" experience I was hoping for. Sonic Heroes was alright and Secret Rings was fun, but the last 3D Sonic game that I really, truly enjoyed was SA2. Better voice acting will not fix what Sega has somehow managed to mess up. All they need to do is regroup Sonic Team and have them revive Sonic with a longterm, this-is-going-to-be-the-best-game-yet approach to Sonic Adventure 3, much like Nintendo did for Brawl- only SSB wasn't going downhill. This is what I thought they were doing with Sonic the Hedgehog, but as it turns out, nope. That game was terrible, seriously. It was no fun to play, and I LOVE Sonic. And Silver can go suck it.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
If only they'd give him a good voice. And dialouge. If those were changed, I guarantee you that haters would ***** about half as much as they do now.

As Staind said, If Sonic had a better plot, better gameplay, none of these bogus new characters that are totally unoriginal, none of these crappy spin offs that make sonic look bad, (that's right, I'm talking to you 'Shadow the Hedgehog'). THEN maybe I wouldn't be pissed. But really, that just brings us back to 2D Side scrollers with NO Voices, NO Story, virtually NO gameplay , and (until Sonic+Knux\Sonic Advanced) NO playable characters. And personally, I LIKE having No story, Voices, or gameplay over having crappy Voices, Stories and Gameplay.

Another thing that SEGA messed up was the music, In my honest opinion they had a game series with music that rivaled that of Zelda, I loved those Genesis tunes, but they even managed to **** up the fun-care-free songs with this crappy ... I don't even know what to call it. I guess it would be Alternative rock, but no matter what you call it it still sucks!

SonicMario

Smash Master
But a lot of Sonic fans actually LIKE that type of Crush 40 music. Come on. What type of Sonic fan are you if you can resist the urge of enjoying Live & Learn? Okay, maybe not ALL Sonic fans liek that music but still. The majority like that type.

And classic games had a story, Sonic saves world from evil-doctor-who-pollutes-and-makes-every-single-living-thing-inside-a-killer-robot.

Ryusuke

Smash Cadet
For me, I love the Sonic from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, only because his voice wasn't that bad, and definately more easier on the ears compared to his voice now.
You like a character because of their voice? There's something wrong with that logic. A character could have THE worst voice in the world, and STILL have a solid personality in there. The voice is just for decoration. It's nothing without something that it can base on.

Classic. Sonic had ATTITUDE back then. Modern Sonic got caught in the Mickey Mouse Syndrome (AKA Mickey's translation from a mischievous character to a kid-friendly character for marketing purposes). Not cool. Sonic's now a generic anime hero. The voice had nothing to do with it. The stories after SA2 were just plain lame. They couldn't even keep their own central character the most important character. New characters just keep overshadowing others. And, the dialogue...don't get me started.

Again, WTF. Voice doesn't make a character. It only serves as part of the character. Y'know why people hate Sonic so much? The console games. They just have a bad rep in sucking something fierce. That's what Sonic Team needs to do. To get their head out of the gutter and make a solid title (more than just one, actually). Besides, it's not the actor's fault that the director and writers suck, now isn't it? <<

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Well, I would just like to say, that any Sonic game not in 3D sucks, and every Sonic game in 3D is just plain fun. :) Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is really fun, almost as good as Mario Kart, but not quite. Sonic and The Secret Rings is challenging, so I liked it, too.

MY favourite Sonic characters would have to be; Knuckles, Silver, and Shadow.

I'm gonna leave now.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Well, I would just like to say, that any Sonic not in 3D sucks, and every Sonic game in 3D is just plain fun. :) Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is really fun, almost as good as Mario Kart, but not quite. Sonic and The Secret Rings is challenging, so I liked it, too.

MY favourite Sonic characters would have to be; Knuckles, Silver, and Shadow.

I'm gonna leave now.
You sir, defy all common logic. Please exit life via door to the left.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
No, I don't defy logic, that is my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

And I would also like to add the the more recent music is much more phenomenal than the old music...!

You have to admit that these songs are pure awesomeness!:

Sonic Herores
His World (Not the best, but still amazing)
Sonic and The Secret Rings- 7 Rings in Hand
Live and Learn

Those are from Brawl's OST - and I am listening to it right now. Those songs are truly amazing. They are in the top 10 songs in Brawl list for me, with the exception of the His World remix.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that JJJ.Brawler is one of the young'ns who didn't grow up with the Genesis , like alot of us. It's possible he hasn't touched any of the original Sonic games.
Which is perfectly okay, I guess, but you really should find an emulator of the games, or buy a Genesis off ebay for 20 bucks, it's totally worth it, and then you'll see which games you really prefer.

Also, had there been more of the Genesis music in there (Chemical Plant Anyone?) you would truly see the powerhouse music arsenal this series used to have.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
I grew up with the NES, and the 64, ( for some reason I got the SNES after the 64...)

And yes, I have played plenty of the old Sonic games. I have about... 13 of them, actually. They are all in "collection' type games for the GCN. and they're boring. I do not like them. tey are too basic. the new ones give more variety. I see nothing in the old ones. They're so terribly boring.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I-

*dies*

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
I grew up with the NES, and the 64, ( for some reason I got the SNES after the 64...)

And yes, I have played plenty of the old Sonic games. I have about... 13 of them, actually. They are all in "collection' type games for the GCN. and they're boring. I do not like them. tey are too basic. the new ones give more variety. I see nothing in the old ones. They're so terribly boring.
Again, you probably didn't GROW up with them.

You probably played Sonic Adv. And said "Meh, this is pretty good" and when you went to play sidescrollers that we grew up on and loved , you thought they had crappy graphics, lack of story, no voice acting, etc.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
What? Was that directed at me?
Worry not, young padawan. As you may have noticed, the biggest divide in Sonic's fanbase is between classic fans and post-adventure fans. It makes sense, of course. Sonic was a beloved character from the start. To consider it from a genesis fan's stand point, imagine the current Sonic to be replaced by...let's say...A hedgehog version of Marth. Complete with effeminate character traits.

Does that repulse you? Probably. To genesis fans, the new Sonic is a Goku-esque hero who constantly gets shoved aside for the flavor-of-the-week character in new games. But to post-advent fans, he is deeper, more complex and more interesting than the 'original'. Even though they are, of course, the same person with many of the same traits.

Personally, I enjoy both old and new. But the past is the past. The kid Sonic will not replace the modern Sonic. And some day, the modern Sonic may be replaced by something else. (Hopefully not in a tiara.)

The biggest problem, if you ask me, started with Archie, ran with Urkel and ends with a couple of million angry fans arguing over six or seven splinter-fanbases. But that's another story.

And one last thing: You might want to give the Mega Collection another go. I'm not your little shoulder-angel, but I can tell you that you're missing out.

Again, you probably didn't GROW up with them.

You probably played Sonic Adv. And said "Meh, this is pretty good" and when you went to play sidescrollers that we grew up on and loved , you thought they had crappy graphics, lack of story, no voice acting, etc.
It's pretty **** hard to complain about an absence of of voice acting in this franchise.

But you're probably right, in a way. The Post-advent games that replaced the Sonic you grew up with are becoming the childhood memories of the current generation, for the same reasons. Which means that they feel just as strongly for their side as you do for yours.

Like I said, I maintain neutrality. The first one I played was Sonic 2, but the first one I owned was Sonic Adventure 2. I have fond memories of both, and can see the hidden depth (or should I say, potential depth) of the series.

And I think I have more fun than either side does on their own. Isn't that what counts, after all?

...****, re-reading this post makes me feel like Miles Edgeworth. Is that a bad thing? It feels so good...

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Wait... there are "post sonic adventure fans"??? I thought they were just a myth D: Seriously though, I'm not even going to complain about the story of the new games. It's the game play itself that makes them completely unplayable. I guess kids these days like running up a loop only to fall off the side and into an ocean while upside down.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
The only time I REALLY thought old Sonic was cool was in Sonic CD and Sonic 3/Knuckles. I loved him in Adventure 1&2, but now he isn't as cool. His voice WAS good in Sonic Adventure games, but yeah, now it is a little more annoying.

BTW, Shadow is cool. Silver=bleh and Rouge=bleh, but Shadow=cool.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
For me 1991 - 1994 (Sonic The Hedgehog - Sonic CD (CD was actually 95 I think) were the prime years of Sonic.

Once it hit the Sega Saturn, Sonic was pretty well done.
Sega should have left him alone.
*Facepalm*

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Everything past adventure 2 has been crap

my favorite is Sonic 2 & 3 (first intro to Tails and Knuckles)

Zevox

Smash Lord
Obviously, I loved all the games up until Sonic & Knuckles (which IMO is still the best game he has ever had, particularly when combined with Sonic 3). After that, Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Heroes were all right, but not great (I probably give Heroes more credit than most people due to being a fan of the Chaotix). Sonic Adventure 2 was the last truly good game hes had (that I've played - haven't tried Sonic Rush games. Anyone want to tell me whether they're worth trying?). Shadow, the 360 Sonic, and Secret Rings (God, could they have found a worse way to use the Wii's motion controls?) were utter disasters.

And yeah, most of the characters introduced after the shift to 3D can burn in hell. Especially Shadow (generic emo evil opposite of the series main character - I cannot express the stupidity of his creation in words). Rogue is all right though. Don't know about Blaze since I haven't played her games. Amy, Cream, Big, and their ilk are all nuisances I could do without though, and they really need to stop adding more Sonic-wannabe Hedgehogs - it was a terrible idea with Shadow, and it isn't getting any better. Oh, and Doctor Ivo Robotnik needs his old name back - the whole "Eggman" thing just sounds more like a joke character than a super genius villain.

I'm hoping the upcoming Sonic Chronicles game is finally a return at minimum to the quality of Sonic Adventure 2, hopefully beyond. The RPGs that Bioware has turned out in the past were truly amazing (Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and everything I've heard about Mass Effect and the Baldur's Gate games is positive even though I've never played them myself), so thats a good sign. Can't say I'm pleased to learn how many of the new characters are being heavily used (really, Big is playable? Ugh, even if they bump his IQ like Nintendo Power said, thats just a bad move), but I'm still going to keep hoping.

Edit: Oh, since I see its being discussed, I don't mind his new look at all. Shoe buckles and everything - looks great to me. Don't really have anything to say about his Brawl looks, since they're all pretty well the same, just slightly different shades of blue and different items on his wrists.

Zevox

SonicMario

Smash Master
^^^
You really don't have to keep saying that. It's fine and all you like the newer games better, but don't start any wars with super-defensive Classic fans. I'm a classic fan, and would say Tails > Shadow. But I won't flame against you just for your opinion.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The reason I do not like early Sonic games is easy to explain:

They're too simple.
Okay, I like both, so I'm just looking at this objectively...

Minus the "get all the emblems!" part, they're both simple and geared towards kids. The newer ones just have more memory for a longer, but still simple, game. The beauty of Sonic is blazing through the game as fast as you can and setting new speed records, like Daytona USA meets Mario. That's why I love him.

Oh, and he could totally kick Mario's Italian @$$. Now I can finally prove it outside of Olympic ripoffs.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Modern games have ruined Sonic.
3D remake of the ones on the genesis, anyone?
Sonic Chronicles : The Dark Brotherhood. Did anyone else feel like putting a bullet through their face when they read this?
Let's take the fun aspects out of a Sonic game (like they did with Secret Rings), the speed and platformyness, and lets make Sonic SLOW, and TURNBASED! **** sake.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Modern games have ruined Sonic.
3D remake of the ones on the genesis, anyone?
Sonic Chronicles : The Dark Brotherhood. Did anyone else feel like putting a bullet through their face when they read this?
Let's take the fun aspects out of a Sonic game (like they did with Secret Rings), the speed and platformyness, and lets make Sonic SLOW, and TURNBASED! **** sake.
No, leave the good Sonic games alone. They do NOT need to be made into 3d. Sonic Team just needs to stop being a bunch of lazy *****es, and take their time with a game. When I heard Sonic+RPG, I thought the same thing, but it's being developed by Bioware. That's about as close as you can get to a guaranteed good game. Have you seen pictures of that game? It looks amazing.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
No, leave the good Sonic games alone. They do NOT need to be made into 3d. Sonic Team just needs to stop being a bunch of lazy *****es, and take their time with a game. When I heard Sonic+RPG, I thought the same thing, but it's being developed by Bioware. That's about as close as you can get to a guaranteed good game. Have you seen pictures of that game? It looks amazing.
Not remakes of the old games, just more like them. Lets keep storylines to a minimum.
Though I agree with the visual aspect of the RPG, it does look nice. I do have my concerns though, like I do with every new Sonic game that comes out, how many insufferable new characters they bring in etc.
And I don't believe I've played a game by Bioware, though they do seem to be quite liked and supposedly bring out good games. I just never thought I'd read 'Sonic' and 'RPG' in the same sentence. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's good.
The only reason I'm concerned about the RPG is Sonic crossing over into other gaming genres often has diabolical results. Just look at Sonic Riders.
About the older 3D games though, there's no need to knock them. Both Sonic Adventures (even though the Action Stages in 1 were, by in large, horrible) were good games, and Sonic Heroes was not great, but not bad either.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I enjoyed SA1, SA2, and Sonic Heroes. I wasn't saying they were bad. They all had their flaws, but overall, they were good. Any console Sonic game after that has been **** though.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
I say I prefer the newer Sonic's visuals, although the games have absolutely catastro****ed the image of Sonic. Even I, who has never even touched a Sonic game before, can say this. He's supposed to be carefree and unable to sit still for more than five minutes. Sonic for the 360 has you helping random citizens, leading to slow, aggrevating missions and other ***gotry. GAWD. Why can't they release more games like Sonic Rush?
At least Secret Rings is slightly in the right direction.

Top Bottom