• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Smash game has the best roster in your opinion?

Which Smash game has the best roster in your opinion?

• Total voters

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Definitely SSB4. It has more characters that I actually asked for... and I love how the roster isn't just Brawl roster with zero cuts (39 slots) plus King K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, Palutena, Little Mac, Takamaru, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Mii (10 more slots) like I dreaded. It may be "logical" and super popular but it was the most boring roster I ever anticipated and I'm so glad it didn't happen.

Khao

Smash Lord
Not even a contest to me, Smash 4's is better than Brawl's, Brawl's is better than Melee's, Melee's is better than 64.

The quality of each separate character is consistent throughout the games, but the quantity improves, so they're just objectively better.

Bigger rosters are simply better as long as there's more unique characters as in previous games. A roster with nearly 50 unique movesets is simply superior to a roster with less than 40. And most certainly better than one with 20, or 11.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
In terms of rosters, Smash 4 > Brawl > Melee > 64. The reason should be obvious.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Brawl had the best damn roster, so much star-power, so much fan-requests.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Well I voted for Brawl as the best roster. It had a decent amount of characters, lacked any pure clones, and had a decent amount of reps per series (no series felt over-represented).

Sure, it's not perfect, there are certainly things I'd have preferred to see done differently, but given the amount, selection, and comparing it to the other rosters, I do feel it's the best SSB roster so far.

After that I'd say the 1st SSB has the next best roster. I'm not sure how I'd rate Melee and SSB4's rosters though.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
For me it is Brawl. Despite Mewtwo and Roy being gone, it is still the best roster in my eyes. Nice balance between series regarding representation, nice and memorable newcomers, diversification of clones from their templates, and just all around very nice looking. I can't say the same thing about Smash 4, not in the least.

Mr G W

Smash Cadet
I'd say SSB4 despite the cuts.

Hopefully a future patch will add some of the missing characters (Wolf, Lucas, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur in particular)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Smash 4 pour moi. Although I did lose two of my favourites from Brawl, I also got Uprising Pit, Palutena, Lucina, Robin, vastly improved R.O.B., Greninja, the return of Doc, Pac-Man, Wii Fit Trainer and Ludwig.

My main changes in every game as I find more characters that I know I will become attached to. Thus, the more variety inherent in the roster, the more room there is for me to find something new and exciting and, of course, experiment with different and more abstract fighting styles.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's Smash Bros. 4 and it's not an opinion, it's a fact.
People will say that since it lacks Mewtwo it's worse than Melee, they are wrong.
Is that simple.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
It's Smash Bros. 4 and it's not an opinion, it's a fact.
People will say that since it lacks Mewtwo it's worse than Melee, they are wrong.
Is that simple.
It's pretty subjective. People see things differently. There is no "right" or "wrong" in opinions. What is fact is that the roster is bigger. What isn't fact is whether it's better or not, because that's down to personal tastes.

I mean, I agree Smash 4 has the best roster, but let's not tell people they're "wrong" for simply feeling any different.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's pretty subjective. People see things differently. There is no "right" or "wrong" in opinions. What is fact is that the roster is bigger. What isn't fact is whether it's better or not, because that's down to personal tastes.

I mean, I agree Smash 4 has the best roster, but let's not tell people they're "wrong" for simply feeling any different.
"This roster suck yeah we got Pac-Man and Mega Man which are two of the most iconic characters in the history of videogaming, we got Little Mac which was the most requested Nintendo character left, we got an amazing nostalgia kick in the form of Duck Hunt Duo, great representation for a new franchise in the form of Shulk, and downright incredible characters like Palutena, Villager, Bowser Jr. and Robin BUT GODDAMN WE MISSED LUCAS AND WOLF. **** THIS BRAWL ALL THE WAY"

They're wrong.

Also, it's amazing that three people here voted Smash 64. My God nostalgia does kill brain cells doesn't it.

Last edited:

Naoshi

"This roster suck yeah we got Pac-Man and Mega Man which are two of the most iconic characters in the history of videogaming, we got Little Mac which was the most requested Nintendo character left, we got an amazing nostalgia kick in the form of Duck Hunt Duo, great representation for a new franchise in the form of Shulk, and downright incredible characters like Palutena, Bowser Jr. and Robin BUT GODDAMN WE MISSED LUCAS AND WOLF. **** THIS BRAWL ALL THE WAY"

They're wrong.
Way to generalize possible reasonable folks with the angry vocal minority. Just maybe some people strongly prefer the missing characters over all of the newcomers due to taste? Not everyone is part of some hivemind, dude.

Also, it's amazing that three people here voted Smash 64. My God nostalgia does kill brain cells doesn't it.
Some could argue it's the most balanced roster, that's a pretty valid reason to vote it. I always personally think using "NOSTALGIA" as a way to dismiss an opinion a completely rude thing to do. What did they ever do to you?

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Way to generalize possible reasonable folks with the angry vocal minority. Just maybe some people strongly prefer the missing characters over all of the newcomers due to taste? Not everyone is part of some hivemind, dude.

Some could argue it's the most balanced roster, that's a pretty valid reason to vote it.
They prefer it? That's OK, that doesn't change the fact that Sm4sh roster is simply better. I liked Snake and Ice Climbers a lot due to their variety (probably the only characters which truly should be coming back) but they've been replaced... 10x the times.

Saying that Smash 64's roster is the better one because of balance is downright idiotic. All of the characters there appeared in the next installments, PLUS MORE. And we're not talking about ****ty characters, we're talking about huge characters missing from there. I'm sorry but I can't take seriously someone who says that would prefer not having characters like Bowser or Pit because "bwaaaah aaaah they ruin the balance".

And anyway, Smash 64 wasn't balanced at all. Half the roster was from either Mario or Pokémon's universe. Talk about balance!

Naoshi

They prefer it? That's OK, that doesn't change the fact that Sm4sh roster is simply better. I liked Snake and Ice Climbers a lot due to their variety (probably the only characters which truly should be coming back) but they've been replaced... 10x the times.

Saying that Smash 64's roster is the better one because of balance is downright idiotic. All of the characters there appeared in the next installments, PLUS MORE. And we're not talking about ****ty characters, we're talking about huge characters missing from there. I'm sorry but I can't take seriously someone who says that would prefer not having characters like Bowser or Pit because "bwaaaah aaaah they ruin the balance".

And anyway, Smash 64 wasn't balanced at all. Half the roster was from either Mario or Pokémon's universe. Talk about balance!
"simply better" is once again SUBJECTIVE. And just having a different opinion doesn't automatically make them a whiner. People can easily claim "This roster is better because it has my favorite character" without going "I HATE SAKURAI AND I HATE THIS ROSTER"

Also, I was talking about gameplay balance. (Also there was only 2 Pokemon and 2 Mario characters out of a 12 character roster, that's not half)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Guys, please calm down. I'm sure we're capable of having a nice, civilised conversation without turning hostile.

You don't have to like thing, but please respect others who do like thing, and vice-versa. All of the rosters have their pros and their cons, so everybody's interpretation is equally valid.

Naoshi

Guys, please calm down. I'm sure we're capable of having a nice, civilised conversation without turning hostile.

You don't have to like thing, but please respect others who do like thing, and vice-versa. All of the rosters have their pros and their cons, so everybody's interpretation is equally valid.
Thank you, I fully agree with this. People are entitled to their opinions, they shouldn't change their preferences just because someone else disagrees.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Brawl by far. People who say SSB4 usually do so because of it's size, not it's relevant content. SSb4 should be bigger seeing as the last game came out 6 years ago. But even then, if you ignore the clones and Mii Fighters (cant use them online), the roster only grew by 6 characters. They also cut a lot of characters, most notably Wolf and the Ice Climbers. Brawl just had more memorable faces.

If this games get DLC, I may reconsider.

Naoshi

Brawl by far. People who say SSB4 usually do so because of it's size, not it's relevant content. SSb4 should be bigger seeing as the last game came out 6 years ago. But even then, if you ignore the clones and Mii Fighters (cant use them online), the roster only grew by 6 characters. They also cut a lot of characters, most notably Wolf and the Ice Climbers. Brawl just had more memorable faces.

Actually, I prefer SSB4's roster due to the fun I had with the newcomers + Dr Mario's return. I love Villager's risky gameplay, along with enjoying having Mega Man and Pac Man there. Miis are one of my favorite new additions to the series, I had a real blast customizing them. I'm a bit bummed out by the lack of Mewtwo and Ice Climbers though. Like you've said, I hope DLC will come, it'll be nice to bring back some fan favorites that are missing.

But you have a sound reason to prefer Brawl's roster!

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

Yeah, Lucas, Wolf and Ivysaur were so much more memorable than Pac-Man, Little Mac, Mega Man and Duck Hunt Duo!

ahahahahah my god you people always destroy me

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Also, I was talking about gameplay balance. (Also there was only 2 Pokemon and 2 Mario characters out of a 12 character roster, that's not half)
I absolutely love the fact that Yoshi and Donkey Kong are not considered part of the Mario's universe because of a ****ing icon.

Naoshi

I absolutely love the fact that Yoshi and Donkey Kong are not considered part of the Mario's universe because of a ****ing icon.
That's debatable. I sort of see Yoshi as a Mario rep, but at the same time he pretty much represents his own series. DK though, strongly represents DKC.

Calm down geez lol

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That's debatable. I sort of see Yoshi as a Mario rep, but at the same time he pretty much represents his own series. DK though, strongly represents DKC.

Calm down geez lol
If they had the same icon of the Mushroom, you would never think that of Yoshi, maybe think that of Donkey Kong. They're still part of Mario's universe.
I am calm, I sound angry but I'm just completely blown away and exhilarated by some stuff you guys say.
Like, saying that Brawl had more memorable faces than Smash 4 when the only characters they're missing are Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur (against ****ing PAC-MAN AND MEGA MAN, just to name two) legit makes me crack. Like how salty do you have to be for those cut characters to say such legit bull**** LMAO

Or implying "**** Sonic he ruins the balance the original 12 are enough!" it's like the best. It's so obvious that someone who says that isn't right in his mind because if Jigglypuff wasn't in the original 12 nobody, NOBODY, I SAY NO ****ING BODY would ever say that she's more recognizable and important than at least 40 of the other characters added after her in the next installments. Like seriously think about it.

Nostalgia is ****ing with you all HARD.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

This.

Naoshi

If they had the same icon of the Mushroom, you would never think that of Yoshi, maybe think that of Donkey Kong. They're still part of Mario's universe.
I am calm, I sound angry but I'm just completely blown away and exhilarated by some stuff you guys say.
Like, saying that Brawl had more memorable faces than Smash 4 when the only characters they're missing are Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur (against ****ing PAC-MAN AND MEGA MAN, just to name two) legit makes me crack. Like how salty do you have to be for those cut characters to say such legit bull**** LMAO

Or implying "**** Sonic he ruins the balance the original 12 are enough!" it's like the best. It's so obvious that someone who says that isn't right in his mind because if Jigglypuff wasn't in the original 12 nobody, NOBODY, I SAY NO ****ING BODY would ever say that she's more recognizable and important than at least 40 of the other characters added after her in the next installments. Like seriously think about it.

Nostalgia is ****ing with you all HARD.
Wow

I agree that the cut characters aren't more recognizable than some of the newcomers (pacman is as iconic as you can get along with Mario), I've however never claimed such a thing otherwise. You're really projecting there.

Did you even read what I actually meant by "balance"? People aren't saying that adding more characters is a bad thing. Some people might prefer (keyword PREFER, not "I LIKE THIS BUT HATE THAT") 64's roster because the characters feel more balanced (through gameplay).

We could have a civil conversation but your attitude is incredibly off-putting and very rude. It's hard to have a good discussion with you.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I said "you people", not you only.
I respond bad to blatant bull****. That's one of my issues. But at least I have some common sense LMAO
We were talking about mere representation, not gameplay balance, so don't change the argument (you even responded before so why change it now?). Saying that it's better not to have more characters because 12 are enough and perfectly balanced between franchises (I already showed that's not true by the way) can be an opinion, of course. A ****ty opinion nonetheless.
I would go for the perfect roster: Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu. You really don't need all these other assholes right?
Oh wait, add Wolf and Lucas tho. They're essential. Little Mac can go **** himself

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Keep things civil, please.

Everyone has their own opinions on what's the best roster, so try to be respectful about that.

Naoshi

We were talking about mere representation, not gameplay balance, so don't change the argument (you even responded before so why change it now?)
Okay, I'll just only reply to this since I feel this part of the conversation has a chance of any civil responses.

I'll make this thing clear. For Smash Bros 64? Since the very beginning I was saying some people might preferred Smash Bros 64's roster through balance. I was unintentionally a bit vague on what exactly I mean the first time, but I actually meant the gameplay balance between the 12, not the character choices. I myself feel that is a valid reason even if I find every roster since 64 better. Yes, I apologize for not making myself clear enough the first time, I tend to make that kind of mistake and people tend to misread me for that. I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at here.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If we didn't get some cuts and had also few characters missing from the games (Mewtwo and Roy), I'd say SSB4.

ATM though it's between tied with P:M and SSB4. I know P:M is not official but where else am I able to play as Roy and Mewtwo, Wario as actually incharacter to his series, some cuts from the next game and more? I'd like have best of both rather than choose.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Smash 4 easily for having Palutena alone, with Pit as well. Bowser Jr in there was a bonus.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Don't forget the series of games that they have.
Nobody says anything about Dr. Mario though which, differently from Donkey Kong and Yoshi, never appeared in any Mario title outside of Dr. Mario. I wonder why? Oh right because his icon is a mushroom! He doesn't even have anything to do with mushrooms in his games LMAO

Okay, I'll just only reply to this since I feel this part of the conversation has a chance of any civil responses.

I'll make this thing clear. For Smash Bros 64? Since the very beginning I was saying some people might preferred Smash Bros 64's roster through balance. I was unintentionally a bit vague on what exactly I mean the first time, but I actually meant the gameplay balance between the 12, not the character choices. I myself feel that is a valid reason even if I find every roster since 64 better. Yes, I apologize for not making myself clear enough the first time, I tend to make that kind of mistake and people tend to misread me for that. I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at here.
No, still not a valid choice. And it's the most utterly arbitrary thing I've ever read here. If the original 12 didn't have Captain Falcon and Ness, but instead had Pit and Little Mac, the roles would be the exact same thing. Again, preferring Smash Bros. 64 representation against Smash Bros. 4 representation is downright idiotic. It's like saying Super Mario Kart has a better roster than Mario Kart 8. Absolute total nostalgia madness.

Naoshi

No, still not a valid choice. And it's the most utterly arbitrary thing I've ever read here. If the original 12 didn't have Captain Falcon and Ness, but instead had Pit and Little Mac, the roles would be the exact same thing. Again, preferring Smash Bros. 64 representation against Smash Bros. 4 representation is downright idiotic. It's like saying Super Mario Kart has a better roster than Mario Kart 8. Absolute total nostalgia madness.
??? I'm a bit lost here.

I'm talking about gameplay balance, as in, how characters stack up to each other and how well they play, not representation. I'm not sure how more specific I need to get to get the message across. People usually associate the word "balance" with tiers and whatnot.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm going to ignore the roster size and just look at newcomer ratios.

For me, personally (aka personal opinion which some of you don't seem to understand the concept of), Brawl wins.

If you don't count things like obligatory well-known retros or 3rd parties, then 4's roster is mainly marketing. Why do you think almost every newcomer has a web link to some recent game they're involved with? Brawl however catered more to fan favorite requests and characters that were forgotten by Nintendo to some degree (like Pit and arguably Diddy Kong).

Now to cuts. Honestly, the only cuts that really hurt from Melee was Roy and especially Mewtwo. Young Link pretty much reincarnated into Toon Link, Pichu was the worst character in the franchise playstyle wise, and Dr. Mario was just, well, a slightly slower more powerful Mario.

4? Two unique franchise representations have been lost, which has never happened before (granted both had inevitable problems transitioning be it copyright or technical) and two semi-clones that were the most unique as far as clones/semi-clones go. Not to mention an entire gimmick gone with the Trainer. On top of that, the clones we got instead are the closest to their source material then ever before.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Nobody says anything about Dr. Mario though which, differently from Donkey Kong and Yoshi, never appeared in any Mario title outside of Dr. Mario. I wonder why? Oh right because his icon is a mushroom! He doesn't even have anything to do with mushrooms in his games LMAO
He's also just Mario in a different outfit, or do spin-offs count as a different series to you? If that's so I guess Sonic Boom's version of Sonic should be a newcomer under a different series because it isn't normal Sonic.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
??? I'm a bit lost here.

I'm talking about gameplay balance, as in, how characters stack up to each other and how well they play, not representation. I'm not sure how more specific I need to get to get the message across. People usually associate the word "balance" with tiers and whatnot.
Oh if you're talking about gameplay balance, you could say that of course. Even then the original Smash Bros. is so basic and simple compared to Sm4sh, it's like talking about two completely different games. Like saying F-Zero is more balanced than Mario Kart almost

Naoshi

Oh if you're talking about gameplay balance, you could say that of course. Even then the original Smash Bros. is so basic and simple compared to Sm4sh, it's like talking about two completely different games. Like saying F-Zero is more balanced than Mario Kart almost
Yeah, that's what I was talking about!

Both Smash Bros pretty much share the same core gameplay, imo it can be compared. But that may be just me.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Unless you are absolutely in love with one of the Melee Clones, Mewtwo, or one of the Brawl Cuts, and think they are better than every other character, then this is a "NO CONTEST!"

It's simple logic. Smash 4 has the most characters, including most of the characters from the past games' rosters (excluding carbon-copy clones, and a few others). You really can't debate it. This game has the best roster out of the 4 games. Period.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm going to ignore the roster size and just look at newcomer ratios.

For me, personally (aka personal opinion which some of you don't seem to understand the concept of), Brawl wins.

If you don't count things like obligatory well-known retros or 3rd parties, then 4's roster is mainly marketing. Why do you think almost every newcomer has a web link to some recent game they're involved with? Brawl however catered more to fan favorite requests and characters that were forgotten by Nintendo to some degree (like Pit and arguably Diddy Kong).

Now to cuts. Honestly, the only cuts that really hurt from Melee was Roy and especially Mewtwo. Young Link pretty much reincarnated into Toon Link, Pichu was the worst character in the franchise playstyle wise, and Dr. Mario was just, well, a slightly slower more powerful Mario.

4? Two unique franchise representations have been lost, which has never happened before (granted both had inevitable problems transitioning be it copyright or technical) and two semi-clones that were the most unique as far as clones/semi-clones go. Not to mention an entire gimmick gone with the Trainer. On top of that, the clones we got instead are the closest to their source material then ever before.
This has sense. Yep it does. Comparing the newcomers, I could see (outside of Smash 64 of course which has the best ones because, well...) a debate over that. I could see people saying that King Dedede is a more important addition than Little Mac, hence Brawl's newcomers are best.
This topic though discusses the entire roster. And there's no debate here, Sm4sh has the best one, because it includes all of the other rosters minus a few good characters, a lot of flavours of the week and plus A LOT of amazing newcomers.
It's like saying: we have 100 dollars, we lose 20 but we gain another 100. At this point, i prefer keeping the first 100 and that's it! Nope, I'm sorry, but that's stupid.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This has sense. Yep it does. Comparing the newcomers, I could see (outside of Smash 64 of course which has the best ones because, well...) a debate over that. I could see people saying that King Dedede is a more important addition than Little Mac, hence Brawl's newcomers are best.
This topic though discusses the entire roster. And there's no debate here, Sm4sh has the best one, because it includes all of the other rosters minus a few good characters, a lot of flavours of the week and plus A LOT of amazing newcomers.
It's like saying: we have 100 dollars, we lose 20 but we gain another 100. At this point, i prefer keeping the first 100 and that's it! Nope, I'm sorry, but that's stupid.
There's no need to be an a-hole about a simple discussion man.

Top Bottom