• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which characters are the best for playing a grab oriented strategy?

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
So I'm looking for a character with either combos and follow ups post grab and/or solid a KO throw. Which characters have one or both of these things? I'm not interested in Incinaroar because his poor recovery makes him close to unplayable in my opinion.

Additionally I'm not interested in a character with a tether grab (i.e. Luigi, Young Link)
The ones I can think of are the following:

Donkey Kong: Follow ups and combos from carry grab short hop up throw into up air. He also has a KO throw (back throw).

Ness: Follow ups and combos from his down throw at low percentages. He also has a KO throw (back throw)

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Marth has excellent grab conversions.; you can dthrow into his aerials which can lead to a fsmash at low percents, and his uthrow is one of the best in the game. Bowser's another option; he had great pivot grab range in Smash 4, but I don't know if it still exists in Ultimate.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Marth has excellent grab conversions.; you can dthrow into his aerials which can lead to a fsmash at low percents, and his uthrow is one of the best in the game. Bowser's another option; he had great pivot grab range in Smash 4, but I don't know if it still exists in Ultimate.
It might, but his upthrow combos have been nerfed.

Palutena has an excellent grab game. Down throw to any aerial move except down air is an option at almost any percents, and her backthrow is one of the strongest in the game. Ness has the best back throw, so try him too. King Dedede can link down throw to forward air until about 80 on most fighters depending on DI, and up throw to up air until about 75. He's good too.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit surprisingly has some fairly decent throw powers from what I've experienced (granted the AI only). D-throw to U-smash on the start of a stock, you can mix it up with N-air or F-air instead, and some of that seems to be around even in mid percents. F-throw is your kill throw if you can set it up right. He's more versatile if anything though and not more of the grab-oriented type, but he's still an option at least.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Incineroar is a wrestler, 'nuff said. I've heard its back throw outdoes even Ness, the reigning champion of kill throws.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
I know you said you aren't interested in Incineroar. I would say at least give him a shot as his throws are quite strong in terms of KO potential. His recovery isn't nearly as bad if you use side B to help.

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
Palutena has an excellent grab game. Down throw to any aerial move except down air is an option at almost any percents, and her backthrow is one of the strongest in the game. Ness has the best back throw, so try him too. King Dedede can link down throw to forward air until about 80 on most fighters depending on DI, and up throw to up air until about 75. He's good too.
I have zero experience playing Palutena but I have been labbing her for about 10 minutes and I can't get down throw to combo into nair or bair

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not Robin.

That's all I really have to add to this discussion.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Do command grabs count? If so you can get a lot of mileage off of :ultbowser: and :ultwario:. :ultrob:, :ultmetaknight: :ultgnw: and :ultpeach:also have a solid grab game.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
ROB is a wierd boy, his most obvious chase is his classic upthrow upair, which can kill. But using side throws into his Neutral Special at high percent can do work too. side throw into Gyro toss, Ftilt and dash attack are a thing. dthrow grounds, meaning you can do dthrow into dsmash. You can also way for them to mash out, and be up in the air with a nair.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Marth and Palutena both have solid grab game and seem to have some healthy options off of it. If you count specials then Incineroar has a solid command throw and some nice punishes - flameluchadorcat seems most situationally fantastic against other heavies. And then there's Isabelle's fishing-rod game. She plays more like a zoning character than a traditonal grappler, but that fishing rod is pure un-adulterated evil.

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
King K. Rool has down throw into ftilt at lower percents into down throw fsmash/down smash at higher percents. Plus hes king k rool

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have zero experience playing Palutena but I have been labbing her for about 10 minutes and I can't get down throw to combo into nair or bair
It was more effective in the last game.

Augi

Smash Cadet
You'll want to use fair for her downthrow, it has the most success; works on lvl 9 computers. Her back throw can string into Explosion Flame (Side B) then Auto-Reticle (B) at certain percentages...

Her backthrow in general is very powerful though. I'll prolly mess with some more throw options when I get home... If I find anything of note I'll post it here or in the Palutena section of the forums.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
It might, but his upthrow combos have been nerfed.

Well...this WAS true.

Down throw hardly combos now. In Smash 4, this was true, but in this game, U-air doesn't connect at all and it's a struggle to connect N-air or F-air off of down throw. She's traded her throw game from the last game for kiting through side/neutral B in this game. Not a bad trade at all, but it's a trade.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well...this WAS true.

Down throw hardly combos now. In Smash 4, this was true, but in this game, U-air doesn't connect at all and it's a struggle to connect N-air or F-air off of down throw. She's traded her throw game from the last game for kiting through side/neutral B in this game. Not a bad trade at all, but it's a trade.
Down throw to f-air works fine for me.

On another note, falling n-air connects to up tilt, which is nice.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Down throw to f-air works fine for me.

On another note, falling n-air connects to up tilt, which is nice.
I mean, it's not as easy to do as Sm4sh, where it was basically free until you got near 100%. It's a lot tighter to land.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
DK can cargo uo throw > up air at low%.
Back throw kills, cargo (jump) bthrow kills at high % off the top. You can cargocide and stagespike with cargo backthrow off stage.

inkling can up throw up air juggle like melee fox.

Pichu can up throw nair or up air and up throw thunder kills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom