• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Character Takes the Most from their Source Material?

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I've been wondering about which character in particular takes the most from their source material. There are some characters that have movesets that take a lot from the games they originated in while others don't take as much. What do you guys think? You could even make a top 5 list if you want.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Probably :4kirby:. He controls exactly the same as he does in his own games, and all of his moves except his tilts, down smash, nair and dair are actual copy abilities he's had.

Last edited:

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
Ryu, Bayonetta, and Mega Man. In a sort of meta way, Pac-man takes quite a bit too

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I think Megaman is the most faithful to his source material. Literally EVERY one of his moves are inspired from his games, he controls like a Megaman game, and he makes the *plink* sound whenever he lands.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Literally Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

:4bayonetta:, :4megaman:, :4ryu:, :4dedede: and :4gaw: are all the most obvious ones.

Mr. Game & Watch isn't even a real character, he's literally an amalgamation of almost all the G&W games out there!

Last edited by a moderator:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Fox, obviously. Remember that time Fox set himself on fire and launched like a rocket at Wolf?

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
:4mario: takes quite a lot, actually. Not the most of every character, but still a lot. Up B is his classic jump, Side B is the Cape from SMW (even if the animation here looks way different), Down B is FLUDD from Mario Sunshine, most of his physical moves come from SM64, and even some who don't kind of got explanations later on (Up Air could be a Bycile Kick from Mario Strikers, for example).

I think it would be interest to talk about the characters who take the least from their source material as well. :4fox: and :4falco: are probably the champions, here, along with :4falcon:, :4drmario:,:4ness:, :4rob: and probably :4lucina: herself.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
:4pit: is likely the biggest reverse case, in that his home series' latest game took a lot from Smash, with:4kirby: probably being the next closest, as his Smash ability is literally his Smash moveset.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Definitely Bayonnetta. I mean, there's nothing made up for Bayonnetta. It's all from her game. I mean, we've got the guns, evade, the side B slide thing, the up B tornado thing, and absolutely everything, though I've never played Bayonnetta before, I've only watched my brother play.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I think :rosalina: does a pretty good job at representing her source game. The Launch Star, the Star Bits, attracting things towards her... Granted, she was not playable in Super Mario Galaxy, only Mario and Luigi were, but whatever. I think she's very well designed.

Last edited:

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't really count (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended by nintendo), but, unlike most people, I like :4darkpit:'s design in this game. Like in uprising, he's a clone.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it is the most but... Cloud has quite a bit. All of his special moves pull there names straight from the game... though they perform differently. (blade beam can't split into 2, Cross Slash doesn't paralyze... that last one wouldn't work to well in this game.) Furthermore, there names were seen by all who played FFVII because of the battle system... where as other charecters can have a moved named something and go "ok it fits and it references _____."

And his taunts are animations players saw thousands of times in FFVII. Much more... iconic one can say than the taunts of other characters.

EDIT: and the limit break... the whole taking damage leading to a super attack is something that makes him stand out from the roster... and is pulled from FFVII's limit break system. (Doing damage was an option in later FF games... if you want to count that as source material... I personally don't but...)

Of course, Bayonetta, Rosaluma, Ryu, and surely others have mechanics about them that makes them one of a kind as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Easily Ryu is the character that takes the most from his source material.
His light and heavy attack system first originated from the original Street Fighter, all of his moves are ripped from the games, you can preform input commands with him, and he has low air friction like in the Street Fighter games.
To play and master Ryu is understanding how to play a Street Fighter game.

Lazerpants

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lazerpants
:4megaman:. no contest. literally everything about him is from a mega man game
Neutral A, Neutral Air, Forward Tilt: mega buster
Down Tilt: Sliding
Up Tilt: Mega Upper
Dash Attack: Top Spin
Forward Air: Flame Sword
Back Air: Slash Claw
Down Air: Hard Knuckle
Up Air: Air Shooter
Forward Smash: Mega buster (charged)
Down Smash: Flame Blast
Up Smash: Spark Shock
Neutral Special: Metal Blade
Down Special: Leaf Shield
Up Special: Rush Coil
Forward Special: Crash Bomb
Grab (Throws): Super Arm
Final Smash: Black Hole Bomb

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
The later DLC characters (Ryu and Bayonetta) have practically no made up moves and unique nods to their original games, so they definitely go in the list. Mega Man is also absolutely in there, and maybe Villager, considering that almost every move he has uses something right out of an Animal Crossing game.

Last edited:

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
and maybe Villager, considering that almost every move he has uses something right out of Animal Crossing game.
The only things that I don't think came from AC on Villager's moveset are his jab and his up-b, and even then, it's possible that they're based on the NES games you can get in the original N64/GCN AC games.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Ryu, Game & Watch, Bayonetta, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer are the best as far as translating the characters from their source material. Pretty much all of their moves are taken from their games. Unfortunately, I'm not interested in any of those characters even though they did a good job implementing them in the game.

Fox and Captain Falcon they actually did an okay job on for having very little source material to work with.

Donkey Kong imo has the worst moveset as far as having a lot of source material to take from and Sakurai completely ignoring it, with the exception of Gandondorf being a clone. It was completely out of this world that it took him until Smash 4 to get a roll attack, his signature move.

The only things that I don't think came from AC on Villager's moveset are his jab and his up-b, and even then, it's possible that they're based on the NES games you can get in the original N64/GCN AC games.
He did an okay job on Villager's moveset, but imo what keeps him out of the running is: bowling ball isn't a piece of furniture (although a ball return is), Villager never uses a stick for anything, watering saplings doesn't do anything in the games, parasol is kind of unreasonable as an ftilt and would be more reasonable being spun as an upair or up tilt, nair is made up, and Lloid is a character from the Animal Crossing series and not a disposable rocket.

Overall Villager has one of the less-terrible movesets in this game though. lol

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
:4gaw: comes to mind.

Almost everything he does is taken from one of the LCD games.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I really wish his stupid headbutt would be replaced with the coconut gun.
The idea of giving DK a projectile of sorts always kinda bothered me because Sakurai intentionally designed the character to be a close ranged brawler type of character in Smash, like Zangief. It's like how Mario doesn't use a bunch of various powerups in his moveset because he's supposed to the game's answer to Ryu
before they added Ryu
, a simple easy to get into starter character.

Veggi

Smash Champion
The idea of giving DK a projectile of sorts always kinda bothered me because Sakurai intentionally designed the character to be a close ranged brawler type of character in Smash, like Zangief. It's like how Mario doesn't use a bunch of various powerups in his moveset because he's supposed to the game's answer to Ryu
before they added Ryu
, a simple easy to get into starter character.
Mario isn't really a balanced and easy character to get into imo. He has short range, a poor recovery that makes him hard for beginners, he is very combo oriented, and doesn't do a lot of damage, so he has to do many hits. Why would he be less complex than most other characters that came out in Melee or 64? Brawl and Smash 4 generally have more complicated characters.

As for Donkey Kong, I think that his coconut gun would be fun although I agree it might alter his playstyle a bit. Although a projectile that fires in spurts would kind of be in line with the whole slow but overwhelming aspects to his attacks. I think it would fit in personally if it was used to cover his approach or cancel out enemy projectiles. If it was used to camp, I would imagine his playstyle would be less coherent, you're right. I personally don't think it would end up that way.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
As for Donkey Kong, I think that his coconut gun would be fun although I agree it might alter his playstyle a bit. Although a projectile that fires in spurts would kind of be in line with the whole slow but overwhelming aspects to his attacks.
Plus, if he shoots you, it's gonna hurt. :dkmelee:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
  1. :4megaman:
  2. :4ryu:
  3. :4bayonetta:
  4. :4gaw:
  5. :4kirby:
Ironic that Mario himself is one of the least inspired characters

Veggi

Smash Champion
  1. :4megaman:
  2. :4ryu:
  3. :4bayonetta:
  4. :4gaw:
  5. :4kirby:
Ironic that Mario himself is one of the least inspired characters
Yeah, he's not the worst case of it but for a character that has so much material to take from he has a lot of moves that are kind of reaching pretty hard like his up b, up smash, nair, dair and MAYBE forward smash. Then there's his tilts, fair, back air, and cape (sorry this isn't the cape from Mario World) that are just completely made up.

Overall it averages out to a pretty uninteresting moveset. However most N64 and Melee characters have pathetic amounts of inspiration from their actual games. The ones that are difficult to draw inspiration from are forgivable but most are just pathetic.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I think Mega Man has to take the cake. They even got the tiniest details like his leg twitch and his landing sound. He also explodes into his colorful orbs when he dies.

Daenerys

Smash Rookie
P sure bayonetta has taken so much from her home series that it all seems broken in this game.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I know you guys got your Mage Mane and Reeu, but :4darkpit: is a clone of Pit just like in Uprising. Jeenus.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
:4samus: Because my favorite part of Metroid games wasn't shooting, it was going around and punching and kicking all the enemies.
:4jigglypuff:Because who uses Jigglypuff in Pokémon?
:4duckhunt:Just confirms that the dog and duck were in cahoots with each other. That's why he was always laughing.
:4littlemac:Because playing Punch Out! I always liked how I could punch through all my enemy's attacks. Oh wait. No I couldn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom