• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character(s) have you dropped?

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
:4bowser: - I love this character so much and he was my original main. Unfortunately, I reached a point where I realized that I didn't want to be limited by his weaknesses. That's when I switched to Mario, who has brought me a lot farther as a player. Despite that, I do still play him once in a while but not too much.

:4luigi: - I am ashamed to say I dropped him as a secondary immediately after he got nerfed.

:4sonic: - For a time I had him as a secondary until I realized that every match was the same thing over and over again. Run to one side of the stage, Spindash camp, run to the other side of the stage, Spindash camp, rinse and repeat.

:4fox: - I had fun with him as a secondary for a while but then realized that Mario does his job better and is easier to get reward with.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
I only play characters that I like, regardless of their strengths/weaknesses, so I haven't really dropped anyone, I started to play less with some of my "almost mains", though.

:4shulk:- I love playing Shulk and I'm still playing with him, but I'm not good enough with him to consider him one of my mains.

:4drmario: - Same as Shulk, I love playing Doc and I prefer him over Mario, but I'm not good enough with him.

:4falcon:- He is funny for styling on people but after some time he gets boring.

:4sonic: - My first real main, I love Sonic as a character but his Smah moveset is just too boring for me.

D

Deleted member

:4greninja: - Was my main back when I originally started playing Sm4sh (was also the thing that made me the most hyped twards the game), but I dropped him for other characters.
:4robinm: - I don't know why I mained him

sc_nixon

Smash Rookie
:4ganondorf: - I put a lot of time and dedication into this character and enjoy playing him immensely (one of my favorite characters in the smash series). But in tournament, he simply can't get the job done against projectile based characters, not to mention his frame data and mobility are still subpar.
:4ryu: - I'm decent with the character but for whatever reason, I can't get his kill setups to work on a consistent basis. I also find his combo strings a little iffy.
:4rob: - :4villager: is a better :4rob:

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit: Very early on I used Dark Pit to get used to smash. However as Link emerged from the shadows of previous games Dark Pit just fell off the map because Link just felt better and did everything I did with DP better overall.

Pikachu: Much Like DP Pika was replaced officially when Greninja finally shook off nearly half a year of nerfs and started becoming more viable and overall less cheese than Pika.

Doc: Gannondorf showed up and Sparta kicked doc out of the way, simple as that.

Robin: Robin got replaced because of Link, much like how Link had a better melee game, at least for me, than DP, Robin was outclassed when I learned how to unleash what became known as "The Wall" which eventually led to me just dropping half my characters because they couldn't keep up with Link's development.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Palutena and Shulk are two of my favorite characters, and between them and the Pits I was planning on maining who was the best. Honestly I wrote off the former two almost immediately because I could tell they weren't anywhere near as solid as the Pits were. Similarly with Megaman, I was afraid of getting too invested in a character that wasn't good enough.

Seeing as every new character I was excited for wasn't any good or a big question mark I stuck with the Pits and don't regret it a bit.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
:4megaman:my favorite of the demo (ironicaly, pika was on the demo, but i was unable to play him effectively on a 3ds)

:rosalina:when i got the actual 3ds game, fell in love with her, mainly because she was/still is very strong with the lack of a 100% accurate user on the 3ds joystick

:4falcon:on the wii u i fell in love with this guy, till sheiks, luigis, pikas, etc comboed my ass so much i stopped using it (even won a 16 people tourney with him)

pika is my current main, the one i play the best, know the most and is the most similar to my playstyle... corrin is a solid secondary since it reminds me of melee marth with the aerial spacing and air strings

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
Dark Pit: Very early on I used Dark Pit to get used to smash. However as Link emerged from the shadows of previous games Dark Pit just fell off the map because Link just felt better and did everything I did with DP better overall.

Pikachu: Much Like DP Pika was replaced officially when Greninja finally shook off nearly half a year of nerfs and started becoming more viable and overall less cheese than Pika.

Doc: Gannondorf showed up and Sparta kicked doc out of the way, simple as that.

Robin: Robin got replaced because of Link, much like how Link had a better melee game, at least for me, than DP, Robin was outclassed when I learned how to unleash what became known as "The Wall" which eventually led to me just dropping half my characters because they couldn't keep up with Link's development.
You mentioned something you can use with Link called "The Wall."
Do you mean "projectile spam?" :laugh:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Characters I dropped altogether:
:4lucario: My first main. When I realized how poor he was compared to my first impressions of him, I switched to Mario and never looked back.

:4shulk: When I learned about MALLC and Shulk's poor frame data, I dropped him. I was a noob Shulk :p

:4diddy: Dropped him the first time he got nerfed. I was never good with him to begin with anyway.

Characters I no longer main, but still play:
:4luigi: I picked him up after his nerfs, but when I realized how much his nerfs impacted him, I felt I couldn't main him anymore.

:4mario: When Bayonetta came out, my playstyle was turned upside-down. Although I was doing well with Mario, I switched to Villager for the sake of a campy character. Plus, Villager was much more fun to play.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
:4luigi: It broke my heart to realise that I needed to drop Luigi, and it wasn't because of patches. During a tournament I only needed to win 1 more game in my pool to beat one of the top seeds into bracket. Having lost game 1 playing as Kirby, I decided to take the safe route and play my Luigi, who was my main at the time. I proceeded to embarrass myself by getting 3-stocked. It occurred to me at that point that my Luigi was nowhere near as good as I thought it was, and so I made him a secondary until I've gotten him back up to speed.

After that though, I did find another main who i'm enjoying playing even more as: :4pikachu:

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
I tried adding Dr.Mario to my mains but i had to drop him because of him having such a bad recovery that I'd usually choose Mario over him because of that .-.

ratmon19

Smash Cadet
I play as everyone but the once I play less since I'm not that good with.

:4fox: Is a pain to get a win with this guy for me. His special are almost useless for me besides his down-b and neutral-b(somewhat) and I feel the opponent always knows what I'm gonna do.

:4villager:I find him cheap and boring.

:4lucario:Hes just not my cup of tea.

Also I hate using counter, so somewhat :4corrin::4shulk::4bayonetta::4littlemac::4lucina::4marth::4greninja::4feroy::4ryu::4palutena::4peach:

TK8305

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TK8305
I'm likely dropping Wendy, Yoshi and Zelda....they just aren't cutting the mustard anymore. >.<;

Cloud & Roy I'm still on the fence with.

The only ones I greatly enjoy and still use often are Jigs, Kirby, Ganondorf, Ike, Doc and L.Mac. Recently picked up Greninja and still trying to elevate my skill with him more.

Stu R

Smash Cadet
I used to be a huge suited Samus player until I played Ike and realized she was pretty much trash (in Brawl anyway, that may have changed with the buff) I also dropped Zelda and Sheak for no real reason and now that I mention it I should probably start playing them again. My current preferences are as follows:

Mains: :4myfriends::4falcon: (:wolf:)

Secondary::4cloud::4tlink::4fox:

Work in progress::4littlemac::4mario::4metaknight::4lucario:

Lonky

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
:4zss:: I randomly picked her up before a tournament and actually she is fun, played a bit with her on Anther's Ladder and just fun.
And I wasn't even that bad.
I played my first set in that tournament as ZSS, and did a 2-0.
Then, the second set happened.
Nearly JV3'd.
I just didn't know how to get openings with ZSS against players that created good walls of aerials (and I played one of the best players in Italy, ****), so I dropped her.
:4diddy:: He's fun, but yeah, I ****ing suck with him.
I only use him in some friendlies.
:4pikachu:: I picked up Pikachu just because of Melee Pikachu.
I love playing as him.
The moment were I realized that the Up B wasn't as viable as his Melee counterpart I dropped him.
:4marth:: I mained him for a lot of time, but then I buyed Roy.
Just this.
Roy is the character that I play the most, like every time that I drop him after one week I go back to maining him.
:4shulk:: First character that I mained that wasn't Link that I picked up just because I liked The Legend of Zelda, and I was a ****ing casual. Just spamming Side B because I thought it was his best move. It was ****ing 2014 and the only competitive match that I ever watched was the wombo combo.
:4fox:: Remember the Wombo Combo thing that I said for Shulk?
I picked up Fox just because of that video.
I like didn't know anything about the game so my gameplay was basically spamming Nair and Shorthop (not even Shorthop, just jump, I couldn't Shorthop at the time) Lasers without even knowing what I was doing.

And then there is like the entire cast of characters that I picked up for a day for then switching back to Roy.
Yeah.

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
I used to be a huge suited Samus player until I played Ike and realized she was pretty much trash (in Brawl anyway, that may have changed with the buff) I also dropped Zelda and Sheak for no real reason and now that I mention it I should probably start playing them again. My current preferences are as follows:

Mains: :4myfriends::4falcon: (:wolf:)

Secondary::4cloud::4tlink::4fox:

Work in progress::4littlemac::4mario::4metaknight::4lucario:
Sheak is my fav <3 <3 <3

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I have three categories:

1) Characters that I liked at first, but dropped after realizing that they're pretty bad: :4feroy:,:4dedede:,:4zelda:

2) Characters I momentarily jumped on the hype train for only to realize they weren't my style: :4dk:(buffs),:4mewtwo:(release),:4cloud:

3) Characters I played pretty well for a while but dropped after focusing on other characters: :4peach:,:4marth:,:4kirby:,:4charizard:,:4littlemac:

Last edited:

Natty_T

Smash Rookie
NNID
Natty_T
3DS FC
1160-9854-7866
:4greninja: - My first Sm4sh main, but as it was the first time I'd ever owned my own version he wasn't really the best character for a beginner. I still occasionally play him though, and find him fun for sure as I've definitely improved since the first Sm4sh days.
:4shulk: - As a fan of Xenoblade, I wanted to try and get accustomed to him but it wasn't to be. I understand what you're meant to do to play a good Shulk, but I can't pull it off myself with my play style. Again, still find him fun.
:4cloud2: - Who didn't when he was first released.

Last edited:

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
To never be used again...

:4littlemac:- He had great jabs... Please don't judge me.

:4fox:-Fiyuurrr

:4ganondorf:-I enjoyed playing him casually. He was so much fun. Just watching as people on FG tried to bum rush him only to get jabbed. I couldn't play him seriously because his style is a bit too 'bait and punish' for my taste.

:4myfriends:-He's awfully heavy for a swordsmen, and really annoying. I use him on FG when I realized another player was simply too weak against my regular mains.

:4zelda:-Never again... Too many gimmicks.

Secondaries that still have a chance.
:4link:-Watched 'Link the Tactician' and decided to give him a chance. I was actually pretty good with him. I just eventually fell back into my old mains.

:4darkpit:-I see good on this one. His tilts are really good, and a nice projectile for certain match ups.

:4robinf:-She has a lot of good attacks up her sleeve, and has a bit of zoning ability.

:4sheik:-The fallen queen herself has recently been attractive to my particular playstyle.

Mains that will never be dropped:

:4luigi:-So many combos. Aerials, disrepects, semi grappler status. His slippery yet elusive movements. Perfect. Through all of the nerfs, he's still a serious threat. I use him to cover for Samus' more difficult match ups.

:4samus:-I have only seen one Samus who does it better than mine. I have beaten so many with this character. I've played with her for years, and will continue maining for all smash games to come.

Last edited:

Stu R

Smash Cadet
To never be used again...

:4littlemac:- He had great jabs... Please don't judge me.

:4fox:-Fiyuurrr

:4ganondorf:-I enjoyed playing him casually. He was so much fun. Just watching as people on FG tried to bum rush him only to get jabbed. I couldn't play him seriously because his style is a bit too 'bait and punish' for my taste.

:4myfriends:-He's awfully heavy for a swordsmen, and really annoying. I use him on FG when I realized another player was simply too weak against my regular mains.

:4zelda:-Never again... Too many gimmicks.

Secondaries that still have a chance.
:4link:-Watched 'Link the Tactician' and decided to give him a chance. I was actually pretty good with him. I just eventually fell back into my old mains.

:4darkpit:-I see good on this one. His tilts are really good, and a nice projectile for certain match ups.

:4robinf:-She has a lot of good attacks up her sleeve, and has a bit of zoning ability.

:4sheik:-The fallen queen herself has recently been attractive to my particular playstyle.

Mains that will never be dropped:

:4luigi:-So many combos. Aerials, disrepects, semi grappler status. His slippery yet elusive movements. Perfect. Through all of the nerfs, he's still a serious threat. I use him to cover for Samus' more difficult match ups.

:4samus:-I have only seen one Samus who does it better than mine. I have beaten so many with this character. I've played with her for years, and will continue maining for all smash games to come.
I would be a huge little mac player if only he had a better recovery

I'veChosenMyFate!

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-4512-6203
I used to play :4robinf: but when Corrin was announced I switched, though I still play her in friendlies.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
:rosalina: Before Sm4sh even came out she was the new character I was most excited about. I liked both mario galaxy games and she seemed like she would be fun. I played her a little at first but even tho she was and is still a very good character her play style doesn't fit the style of play I enjoy. I don't like sitting back or playing a passive/campy playstyle and with the Luma respawn timer playing her just felt like ok use Luma as a meat shield to bait out your enemies and playing her just makes you react to what your opponents do instead of being quick and forcing your opponents into positions/situations where you can punish them.

Simpy put she felt cheap/lame like Luma did so much damage and if ur luma died you just play like afraidy cat till luma is back and that's not the style I enjoy. So I don't hate playing her I just don't like playing that passive style.

IceThatsCool

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1907-9632-2400
:4ness:-Dropped once the :4lucas: DLC came out, I liked Mother 3 better than Earthbound, and he fit my style better. I may pick up :4ness: as a side in the future however, seems fun to go back to using him.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I still use them for fun, but I dropped :4ness: and :4lucas: from serious play. Maybe it was because all I did was PK-thunder spam in Brawl, and I finally realized that I can't use them well. I may or may not try to get better with Lucas. I also dropped :4tlink: because I preferred how he played in Brawl (but then again all I really did in Brawl was d-air spam).

Here are some characters that I mained for less than a week when the 3DS version came out:

:4littlemac:: Couldn't get used to, and I didn't want to be labeled as cheap for using him.
:4robinm:: Incredibly slow. If it wasn't for his bad run speed, I would probably use him more often.
:4shulk:: Moves come out really slow and the Monado arts can be confusing.

I have rarely used these characters ever since I dropped them.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Sadly I've dropped :4robinf:. I've tried her out, and I don't know what it is, but her moveset doesn't fit my playstyle.

Elray

Smash Rookie
I started out with Greninja when I first got Smash 4, but I just hit a wall where I couldn't progress with the character and went :4lucina:->:4marth:->:4feroy:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
These characters I dropped when it comes to trying to actually main them, but still play on occasion.

:4wiifitm:
- Back before the WiiU launch, I was complimented with how well I picked up WFT. After the release on WiiU, I picked up my current main :4littlemac: and never looked back. I still pick WFT when I want to have mindless fun, though.

:4falcon:
- Falcon was my OG main. The one I went to back in the 64 Days. Sadly, I had never been able to pick him up again.

:4lucario:
- A brawl main of mine. He has since taken a back seat ever since :4greninja: was announced for Smash 4.

:4ganondorf:
- Only when I feel like being disrespectful do I play him.

Characters I will never main:

:4samus: Spamus

:4ness: He needed to be nerfed, and owns the single most spammable attack in the game.

:4dedede: Just no.

D

Deleted member

Time to do this again.

:4ness: I don't know why I went on to decreasingly dislike Ness more as the game's timespan went on. Probably because I'm so spoiled by PM Ness is that I just don't find how simple and straightforward he is in this game as my type of character.

:4myfriends: Cloud is simply just more my type of swordsman.

:4metaknight: Never really fully had much fun with MK throughout Smash 4, just not satisfying to play for me.

:4dk: Meh. Maybe I just suck as him. One day, DK.

:4bowser: Felt like I had to put in a huge amount of work to overcome a lot of matchups he struggles in, and in general his playstyle is dull as hell to me.

:4corrinf: Her slow mobility, poor grab game and most of her moves sending vertically turned me off for the most part.

:4charizard: Everytime I think about this character's neutral I get so ****ing sad.

:4pit: There is no other character in the game more boring than Pit.

:4rob: Considering his high learning curve, in the end I didn't feel like he made a good secondary for me.

:4tlink: In general feels a lot less satisfying to play than he did in Brawl.

:4feroy: Ditto as Charizard. Not being able to approach well at all and having no good kill setups isn't fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
:4megaman: Mained since the demo and slowly dropped when Mewtwo released. I felt he was a bit too technical for me and required tons of patience for what I thought was little reward at the time.

:4falcon:Mained in every game since 64. Something about him feels off to me now. He's very fun, but I just haven't felt right maining him in this game. I still pull him out for fun occasionally.

:4littlemac:Love his character, but he requires the patience of a saint and lots of tech skill to fully get the most out of. Was too stressful, so I dropped him.

:4ryu:Again, I love his character, but he's extremely hard to master, more than anyone on the roster. I might come back to him one day, who knows.

:4cloud:I still use him here and there, but I find it lame to bandwagon him considering I never even played FF7. I still keep him as an occasional pocket.

Last edited:

OwntheLoner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-4506-8954
:4bowser:: I was going to have him as a secondary, but he really wasn't fun enough to make me want to play him in spite of his flaws.

:4bayonetta:: I didn't actually try to use her until after the nerfs. Her combos were cool, but I could rarely actually land them against people and playing nuetral as her was really annoying, due to her losing to anyone with a decent projectile.

:4corrinf:: I played her for a bit because I like Fates, but she's a bit too slow for me and she doesn't have a whole lot of combos.

:4darkpit:: Nothing about either of the Pits really stands out. Both of them feel reall limited in terms of what you can make the character do, and they don't really have any advantages over other character choices.

:4ganondorf::4lucario::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4lucas::4link:: I can't play any of these people now that I've been spoiled by Project M.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
All of them... I really haven't been focusing on anyone in particular the last couple of days.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I was going to drop Samus in both SSBB and Sm4sh because I felt I wasn't going to get anywhere with her, but I never drpped her. With the help of my brother and a couple of Samus mains, I kept going. Samus has always been my main, and the day Samus is high or top tier is the day I'll say, "I play as Samus because she's my favorite video game character, not because of some tier list." The latter aren't Samus loyalists.

Patriarachnid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Patriarachnid
3DS FC
1134-8770-6048
:4lucario: - Because he is SS rank in the Noob Tier List, but you have to actually be good to play him for real.

:4rob:-Probably wouldn't consider him "dropped", since I still think he's good, but I just haven't been playing him for a good while since I've found other characters I think are more interesting to play. He's gone from my main to a pocket character, I suppose.

:4metaknight: - Not really sure why I stopped playing him. Probably just that I only used him as a counterpick, but later learned how to deal with all the matchups I used him for.
(Side note, I firmly believe his Fsmash is the most satisfying move to land in the whole game)

:4lucas:- He's actually the character I have the most play hours with, by almost a 150-match margin, but as I started fighting better players, his weird neutral and recovery really started to bother me. I got punished for recovering more than seemed to make sense, and nair and pk fire felt like his only tools that actually worked consistently. It's a shame, because I really like the character. I suppose this turnout is fitting, though, since I always used the Claus skin.

:4greninja:- Played him a lot way back in the old days alongside :4lucario:, but dropped him because I eventually realized I was bad at the game. Actually think I'm going to pick him up again, though, because his toolkit is really janky (and therefore fun) and I need to be able to play at least one fast character anyway, so it might as well be the one that nobody knows how to fight.

Arthur97

Smash Master
After the Best Buy demo, I decided I would give :4link: a go. After a while though I started to pick up:4falcon: as well. However, I like variety so I started to play other characters and drifted from both of them. I considered :4luigi: for a while, but drifted away from him too. I still play all three of them some, but I really don't have a main right now, just a decently large selection of characters that I will play.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I really don't get why people say the Pits are boring. With them you're playing the game. Nothing more, and nothing less. If you think the Pits are boring it seems like you'd think the game as a whole is boring.

I like all three states. Advantage, disadvantage, and neutral. More accurately I like playing all three states. Just running away and charging Limit with next to no interaction isn't fun, and nether is floundering about and hoping your opponent screws up. I don't like one and done with no follow-ups, but I don't like the opponent to be hopeless. Similarly I don't want to explode in one hit or just escape everything with the press of a button.

With the Pits the game starts at GO and doesn't end until somebody loses.

OwntheLoner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-4506-8954
I really don't get why people say the Pits are boring. With them you're playing the game. Nothing more, and nothing less. If you think the Pits are boring it seems like you'd think the game as a whole is boring.

I like all three states. Advantage, disadvantage, and neutral. More accurately I like playing all three states. Just running away and charging Limit with next to no interaction isn't fun, and nether is floundering about and hoping your opponent screws up. I don't like one and done with no follow-ups, but I don't like the opponent to be hopeless. Similarly I don't want to explode in one hit or just escape everything with the press of a button.

With the Pits the game starts at GO and doesn't end until somebody loses.
Maybe playing that way is fun for you, but for a lot of people the Pits just don't have a lot of quaities that make them a preferable character choice when compared to other characters. I tried using Dark Pit as a sceondary for a while, but as I said in my post above, I dropped him the character feels too limited and offers no real advantages over a lot of the cast. Why play either of the Pits when I can play Cloud, who has a better moveset overall, does more damage, has better movement, more killing options, and is Cloud ****ing Strife from Final Fantasy?

Pit isn't bad or anything, he's just...not good enough.

PS. As a Cloud main, while Cloud isn't the more complex character, there's more to him than just running away and limit camping. I for one don't do such things.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Maybe playing that way is fun for you, but for a lot of people the Pits just don't have a lot of quaities that make them a preferable character choice when compared to other characters. I tried using Dark Pit as a sceondary for a while, but as I said in my post above, I dropped him the character feels too limited and offers no real advantages over a lot of the cast. Why play either of the Pits when I can play Cloud, who has a better moveset overall, does more damage, has better movement, more killing options, and is Cloud ****ing Strife from Final Fantasy?

Pit isn't bad or anything, he's just...not good enough.

PS. As a Cloud main, while Cloud isn't the more complex character, there's more to him than just running away and limit camping. I for one don't do such things.
Pit's not bad though... He's great at everything and has a top tier landing trap and edgeguarding game. Overall, he's not outclassed by most of the cast. He's realistically sitting just outside of top 15. It should be obvious that Cloud's not just better then him.

There's no point in playing suboptimally in my book. It's like jumping clear off the stage... You know better. Honestly, optimal Pit is probably better then rushdown Cloud or whatever you play. He fits me way better, and Cloud I find is one of most unfun and boring characters to exist in a fighting game.

Top Bottom