• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character do you HATE to fight?

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
I hate fighting the Ice Climbers, in both Melee and Brawl. So goddamn boring, I just end up camping until the match ends. -.-

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
:wolf:- This character always give me problems whether it be random DSmash or FSmash.

:falco: - I get really bored when I fight this character. Since I main :marth:, It is pretty fun killing him at around 23-24 % :laugh:

:diddy:- I honestly don't know how anyone can have fun with this character. His bananas are too much to handle. I have to worry about multiple things on the screen at once and when I get hit by a rouge DSmash, A part of me dies on the inside.

:olimar: - Either get Fsmashed or grabbed. Pick your poison. :(

:metaknight: - So much of a chore to play againest.. It's weird though.. I don't mind him as much as I mind :diddy:.

:luigi2:- It's weird actually. He is my favorite character of all time and my main in Melee. But I can't stand him in this game. Everything about him is so...... annoying! His DownB in particular. :(

:popo: - The grab. Nuff said.

:sheik: - hated her since Melee. Still hate her now.

:wolf:: His F-smash can be punished via Shield-grabbed.
:olimar:: Olimar is arguably the best character onstage. Try fighting him off-stage and gimp him.
:popo:: The grab hitbox is quite small. Space well and try not to get grabbed, and remember to gimp Nana when you have the chance.
:sheik:: Why do you hate Shiek? She's not half as strong as she used to be in Melee.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
:olimar: due to him chaining the **** out of me. I can't stand him on level 9

MechanicalWood

Smash Rookie
I like Ness but his electric ray thing you can move is rather annoying, also Zelda's "dim fire?" attack although I l also like her.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
:marth:, cant get around that disjointed sword of his.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Meta Knight Obviously
First of all, welcome to Smashboards ! :grin:
Assuming you're a Yoshi main, you can find tips and ask questions regarding the Metaknight MU in the Yoshi character discussion threads under the "Brawl character discussion" subform. Good luck :)

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I barely play this game but Diddy Kong is not enjoyable to play against at all.

D

Deleted member

I hate fighting against the Ice Climbers. Stupid chain grab...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Adding Luigi to the list of hate to fights. I cannot stand that stupid typical jab to Up-B and aerial spammage, and not fighting many of em doesn't help. He's just one of those evil lower tier'd ones who I will never understand how to fight. The worst part is that not punishing dodge spam can lead to being killed by such thing that I mentioned before... Camping doesn't do much, approaching is a double-edge sword... so what is a Pit supposed to do (that doesn't involve using another character)?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Adding Luigi to the list of hate to fights. I cannot stand that stupid typical jab to Up-B and aerial spammage, and not fighting many of em doesn't help. He's just one of those evil lower tier'd ones who I will never understand how to fight. The worst part is that not punishing dodge spam can lead to being killed by such thing that I mentioned before... Camping doesn't do much, approaching is a double-edge sword... so what is a Pit supposed to do (that doesn't involve using another character)?
This MU is rated as 50:50 or 55:45 in favor of pit. Luigi's jabs should never combo into an Up-B, his jabs don't have enough hitstun to keep you in place to get a shoryuken as a hit. Pit has a viable aerial game and shouldn't really suffer against, try landing your F-airs since they have a bigger hitbox than Luigi's F-air. Luigi's Up-air, if spaced correctly, should be able to land easily on you. If you're having a hard time with his aerials (especially Up-air), try landing back safely on the ground. You have many good ways of doing so:
1- Use your glide to get to a further location (which can be used a scrooge)
2- Use B-reversals/Wavebounces using your specials (Except Up-special) to get back on the stage
3- Down-B is actually a viable method of returning, but it's very occasional and needs experience to pull off.

On stage you should have no trouble with him, camping/spamming Luigi with your arrows and Side-B does pay off in the long run. Hope it helped, good luck.
I hate fighting against the Ice Climbers. Stupid chain grab...
Don't get grabbed, it's as easy as that. Try separating the ice climbers and gimp Nana.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This MU is rated as 50:50 or 55:45 in favor of pit. Luigi's jabs should never combo into an Up-B, his jabs don't have enough hitstun to keep you in place to get a shoryuken as a hit. Pit has a viable aerial game and shouldn't really suffer against, try landing your F-airs since they have a bigger hitbox than Luigi's F-air. Luigi's Up-air, if spaced correctly, should be able to land easily on you. If you're having a hard time with his aerials (especially Up-air), try landing back safely on the ground. You have many good ways of doing so:
1- Use your glide to get to a further location (which can be used a scrooge)
2- Use B-reversals/Wavebounces using your specials (Except Up-special) to get back on the stage
3- Down-B is actually a viable method of returning, but it's very occasional and needs experience to pull off.

On stage you should have no trouble with him, camping/spamming Luigi with your arrows and Side-B does pay off in the long run. Hope it helped, good luck.

Now what about his bad stages? If I'm supposed to space SH F-airs, then well, perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

D

Deleted member

Don't get grabbed, it's as easy as that. Try separating the ice climbers and gimp Nana.
That's what I do really. I mostly focus on separating the Ice Climbers and try to KO Nana first to make the fight a bit easier since the Ice Climbers are glass cannons. Though, it's a bit tricky sometimes in some situations...

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Now what about his bad stages? If I'm supposed to space SH F-airs, then well, perhaps I'm doing it wrong?
I'd recommend counter-picking Luigi on a big stage which is more linear than complex (platforms), I'd go for FD against Luigi. You can camp him out with your arrows in FD and it's much easier to land on the stage than many other stages (against a good Luigi at least). You should avoid Battlefield against Luigi, the platforms there advocate his aerial combat and the stage won't allow you to camp your arrows as much as it would in FD (Given the fact that the stage is smaller and Luigi can move between platforms making it harder for you to read his movement). You should try buffering your SH F-air instead of SHing then using F-air. On stage, in my opinion, Pit has superior attacks due to its range than Luigi's attacks. A tip that helped my brother fight against Luigis is that you should be patient and let Luigi engage the fight at which you can punish with a backward buffered SH F-air (Or N-air if he's really close) or shield-grab. If there is something that I said that you do not understand please don't be shy whatsoever and ask, I'll explain it further in detail.
That's what I do really. I mostly focus on separating the Ice Climbers and try to KO Nana first to make the fight a bit easier since the Ice Climbers are glass cannons. Though, it's a bit tricky sometimes in some situations...
Try backthrowing Nana off the stage and gimping her your aerials, it really isn't that hard, just requires a bit of practice. However, remember to keep Popo in mind, since he is the character controlled. Don't try to recklessly gimp Nana if Popo is near, he will punish you and retrieve Nana easily. A good way of gimping either Nana or Popo is that after you send either of them off the stage (by a good distance), try grabbing the one on stage and throwing him/her further into the stage, away from the other(The higher the percentage, the longer you should wait before throwing to increase the chances of the iceclimbers not being able to save themselves). This method is usually used by having Nana off the stage and Popo on the stage because Popo's chances of recovering are higher than Nana's (If the person knows how to play Iceclimbers that is).

D

Deleted member

Try backthrowing Nana off the stage and gimping her your aerials, it really isn't that hard, just requires a bit of practice. However, remember to keep Popo in mind, since he is the character controller. Don't try to recklessly gimp Nana if Popo is near, he will punish you and retrieve Nana easily. A good way of gimping either Nana or Popo is that after you send either of them off the stage (by a good distance), try grabbing the one on stage and throwing him/her further into the stage, away from the other(The higher the percentage, the longer you should wait before throwing to increase the chances of the iceclimbers not being able saving themselves). This method is usually used by having Nana off the stage and Popo on the stage because Popo's chances of recovering are higher than Nana's (If the person knows how to play Iceclimbers that is).
OK! Thanks for the tip!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'd recommend counter-picking Luigi on a big stage which is more linear than complex (platforms), I'd go for FD against Luigi. You can camp him out with your arrows in FD and it's much easier to land on the stage than many other stages (against a good Luigi at least). You should avoid Battlefield against Luigi, the platforms there advocate his aerial combat and the stage won't allow you to camp your arrows as much as it would in FD (Given the fact that the stage is smaller and Luigi can move between platforms making it harder for you to read his movement). You should try buffering your SH F-air instead of SHing then using F-air. On stage, in my opinion, Pit has superior attacks due to its range than Luigi's attacks. A tip that helped my brother fight against Luigis is that you should be patient and let Luigi engage the fight at which you can punish with a backward buffered SH F-air (Or N-air if he's really close) or shield-grab. If there is something that I said that you do not understand please don't be shy whatsoever and ask, I'll explain it further in detail.
If only I knew that sooner before being taken to BF twice... Even then I barely won it with my campy tactics.
UNFORTUNATELY during that MK-banned wifi tourney I entered, the moment I won the first set in the GFs, the evil Luigi guy had to rely on cheap Falco the whole 2nd set to win... Cowardly top tier-dependent little.... I can't really relax atm knowing that I had that 1st place near me, to be taken away because of top tier dependency (and this isn't the first time top tier dependency screwed me outta a nice wifi tourney placing).

D

Deleted member

My pleasure, if you have any further questions feel free to ask :grin:
Thank you! I am pretty good in Brawl and I haven't had trouble with any other character than the Ice Climbers. So, thank you for this tip again and I'll be sure to ask you again if I need help!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
If only I knew that sooner before being taken to BF twice... Even then I barely won it with my campy tactics.
UNFORTUNATELY during that MK-banned wifi tourney I entered, the moment I won the first set in the GFs, the evil Luigi guy had to rely on cheap Falco the whole 2nd set to win... Cowardly top tier-dependent little.... I can't really relax atm knowing that I had that 1st place near me, to be taken away because of top tier dependency (and this isn't the first time top tier dependency screwed me outta a nice wifi tourney placing).
Well, losing to a top tier character doesn't mean that it was all the character's doing. It depends, you should know when the player carries the character and when the character carries the player. Why would picking a top-tier character be an act of cowardice? Picking a top-tier character isn't a free ticket to victory. Anyways, what problems were you having with that Falco?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, losing to a top tier character doesn't mean that it was all the character's doing. It depends, you should know when the player carries the character and when the character carries the player. Why would picking a top-tier character be an act of cowardice? Picking a top-tier character isn't a free ticket to victory. Anyways, what problems were you having with that Falco?
Jab and CG spam... trying to approach when Side-B spam is there, and that guy saying he doesnt even use that stupid top tier too... If only I had a lead, I could sometimes maintain it, but I never could, and I know that the top tier carried the player since I was slowly getting used to that stupid Luigi, then he had to rely on that accursed top tier. My head hurts from stressing out too much, let alone trying to figure out the CPs to use.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Jab and CG spam... trying to approach when Side-B spam is there, and that guy saying he doesnt even use that stupid top tier too... If only I had a lead, I could sometimes maintain it, but I never could, and I know that the top tier carried the player since I was slowly getting used to that stupid Luigi, then he had to rely on that accursed top tier. My head hurts from stressing out too much, let alone trying to figure out the CPs to use.
Try not to overrate specific characters, it will effect your mentality. Relax and be focused in the match, always try your best and never give up, a 3-0 comeback is always possible. Regarding the Falco matchup, try to play safe and never get too close to Falco, this may lead into a CG Spike which can potentially kill (you will most likely up-B to get back to the stage at which you will be hit by Falco and die). The key to this matchup is to camp it out until you reach around 55%. Falco won't be able to Cg spike you, therefore you should play more aggressively and close in on him. Never give Falco a chance to think, try gimping him when you get the chance. Be wary of his B-air, it has a good hitbox and beats all of your aerials, avoid getting hit by it. This MU requires camping and patience, don't lose your cool and let Falco be the one who initiates the fight, you should be able to punish most of his attacks. Also be sure to play aggressively when he can't chaingrab you anymore.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Try not to overrate specific characters, it will effect your mentality. Relax and be focused in the match, always try your best and never give up, a 3-0 comeback is always possible. Regarding the Falco matchup, try to play safe and never get too close to Falco, this may lead into a CG Spike which can potentially kill (you will most likely up-B to get back to the stage at which you will be hit by Falco and die). The key to this matchup is to camp it out until you reach around 55%. Falco won't be able to Cg spike you, therefore you should play more aggressively and close in on him. Never give Falco a chance to think, try gimping him when you get the chance. Be wary of his B-air, it has a good hitbox and beats all of your aerials, avoid getting hit by it. This MU requires camping and patience, don't lose your cool and let Falco be the one who initiates the fight, you should be able to punish most of his attacks. Also be sure to play aggressively when he can't chaingrab you anymore.

Unfortunately, just the sight of a top tier sets me off and makes me furious. I'm just gonna blame the fact that top tier dependency made the person lucky. It's strange since normally I'm just campy, but top tiers are just sickening, like evil Luigi and other characters... Some MUs I wont ever understand since they're either too weird are annoying, and the rest is mostly top tiers... Skill-less top tiers is what I see, and my hatred for many characters make me the way I am.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Unfortunately, just the sight of a top tier sets me off and makes me furious. I'm just gonna blame the fact that top tier dependency made the person lucky. It's strange since normally I'm just campy, but top tiers are just sickening, like evil Luigi and other characters... Some MUs I wont ever understand since they're either too weird are annoying, and the rest is mostly top tiers... Skill-less top tiers is what I see, and my hatred for many characters make me the way I am.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I expected to insulted in this manner, but it's nothing to laugh about when you strive for 1st place without the need of top tiers.
I had no intentions of insulting you, but don't you think you're overrating top tiers? Alright, let's say that a new Pit player is present and he found new, strong techniques with Pit. After playing for a while, Pit became a top tier character. Will choosing Pit be an act of cowardice after that? :rolleyes:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I had no intentions of insulting you, but don't you think you're overrating top tiers? Alright, let's say that a new Pit player is present and he found new, strong techniques with Pit. After playing for a while, Pit became a top tier character. Will choosing Pit be an act of cowardice after that? :rolleyes:
It's my hatred for constant losses towards those who rely on such characters. Sure I can beat some of em, but then others just get ridiculous. I will not answer the other question for multiple reasons, and I prefer if I am not forced to answer it in advance.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It's my hatred for constant losses towards those who rely on such characters. Sure I can beat some of em, but then others just get ridiculous. I will not answer the other question for multiple reasons, and I prefer if I am not forced to answer it in advance.
Don't worry, no one's gonna force you to answer anything :) Just a quick fact: Snake was #2 on the tier list. After people got better with their characters and found ways to counter Snake, he dropped to #6. The tier list changes from time to time. If your so called hatred is due to your constant losses, either practice more or play with another character. What I did was I played Metaknight as a secondary (ZSS being the main of course) for matchups that I struggled with my ZSS (mainly the Snake and MK Matchup). I never flamed on a specific character because it will never change anything. If you choose a character and venture into the competitive scene, you need to know every single MU in order to win, you can't disinclude specific MUs because "The opposing character is too strong".

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Don't worry, no one's gonna force you to answer anything :) Just a quick fact: Snake was #2 on the tier list. After people got better with their characters and found ways to counter Snake, he dropped to #6. The tier list changes from time to time. If your so called hatred is due to your constant losses, either practice more or play with another character. What I did was I played Metaknight as a secondary (ZSS being the main of course) for matchups that I struggled with my ZSS (mainly the Snake and MK Matchup). I never flamed on a specific character because it will never change anything. If you choose a character and venture into the competitive scene, you need to know every single MU in order to win, you can't disinclude specific MUs because "The opposing character is too strong".

I still hate Snake too... It's more to it than just frequent losses, and there's no way that I'm gonna be straying away from Pit (or Bowser, who's already bad as it is) in this game. I'm staying true, not having no other character or top tier as a secondary or any of that. My passion is with the 2 characters that I named; the rest I'm either terrible with and/or cannot be constant with, or just can't use well at all. As for the MUs, I used to do studying and observing back in the day on many MUs that of which others were either too lazy to discuss, didn't know, or were too jerky to tell me how it works, but I gave up on that project of mine 2 years ago, thinking that I'd retire. Now-a-days, I tried avoiding top tiers for months to learn lesser character MUs for the occasions, but it just didn't work, or I'm having troublesome habits and grudges.
Sigh, but what bad memories I've had of varying character troubles.

Top Bottom