• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where's the rest of the characters?

Onion Knight

Smash Cadet
I have been waiting for this game forever, and obviously the new and bizzare characters attracted me. I didn't look at the secret updates so I would be surprised in the game. However, I never had the feeling of omg "this character is in the game?"
Back when i played 64 and melee I had the omg :challenger approaching: I cant believe who it is! but in this version the only challenger approaching I experienced was toon link,

I also remember hearing there would be no "clones"
Star Fox, Wolf, and Falco have the same abilities (slight differences)
Ness and Lucas have the same abilities
Captain Falcon and Ganondorf
Mario and Luigi (aside from smash and down B)
Link and Toon Link

Come on... do you really have to make Ganondorf like Captain Falcon for a second time? He has been in enough games with enough abilities for a unique moveset that makes sense to his character. I was very disappointed he didn't have a new move set.

Anyway. I just unlocked Jigglypuff (a character I think should have never been in the game, even in 64) and i get the notice that I "Unlocked all Fighters" and i just collapsed. No more characters? for as long as I had to wait for this game, the amount of characters disappointed me. Only R.O.B was unexpected, and sadly, I wasn't too excited over him.
Where was the Tom Nook? The Mii? Any other Metroid character? I thought a Mii character would be a shoe-in, so I am very shocked they are not in the game in any way, shape, or form. The entire OOT game was also completely forgotten.

/sigh I don't mean to bash on the game, its very fun, I just wish I had the OMG HE'S in the game???? experience I had with the last 2. And the fact it only took me 28 hours to unlock all characters without looking online for help is sad considering the supposivly endless roster SSBB was suppost to have.

I guess I just gotta cross my fingers on Downloadable characters.

-Ran

Smash Master
Now imagine how happy you would have been if you hadn't got daily updates about the game, and bought into all of the hype.

FlyinG ShoosteR

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to a month and a half ago.

And you kinda fail. Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all quite different. Lucas plays nothing like Ness. Toon Link makes Link look like a joke.

And there won't be downloadable characters. sorry :ohwell:

Ricard_the_dragoon

Smash Apprentice
...no, Luigi is not a clone of Mario-they only have 1 attack in common, and it is very different for each of them,
C.Falcon and Ganondorf have the same attacks but they are different enough to not be clones
I won't even start on the fox group ( I can't stand them -_-)
I don't actually have Toon Link yet -_- so I'm not sure about them

The reason they were no suprising characters is that they already told all/most of them on the Dojo

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There is Mii representation: Avatars for online play and Mii channel music for the Picto Chat stage.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
Maybe you shouldn't have looked at the Dojo...

Honestly now...Tom Nook and Miis? To each their own, I suppose.

Zek

Smash Ace
I also remember hearing there would be no "clones"
Star Fox, Wolf, and Falco have the same abilities (slight differences)
Ness and Lucas have the same abilities
Captain Falcon and Ganondorf
Mario and Luigi (aside from smash and down B)
Link and Toon Link
Spoken like someone who doesn't know any other moves besides specials... Wolf, Lucas and Luigi are not even close to being clones. Falco has been changed a good deal. Ganondorf and Toon Link are a little clone-ish but their playstyle is like night and day from their originals.

Onion Knight

Smash Cadet
I consider clone as having the same ability. Fox, Wolf, and Falco all shoot, have deflectors, dash, and charge upwards. Sure there are differences, but the core mechanics are the same.
Also, with as much history as link has, why is his final smash so basic? Call on epona, transform into a wolf, or even call upon hordes of cuccos.

Masakyst

Smash Rookie
wow, there's almost 40 fighters, over a dozen brand new to the series, and that's still not enough for some people?

Onion Knight

Smash Cadet
Spoken like someone who doesn't know any other moves besides specials... Wolf, Lucas and Luigi are not even close to being clones. Falco has been changed a good deal. Ganondorf and Toon Link are a little clone-ish but their playstyle is like night and day from their originals.
I know the standard attacks are different, but a character stands out with its specials. I didn't expect Falco to be much different, and the shooting deflector was a nice addition, but Wolf just seems tacked on.

Being a huge Zelda fan, I know Ganondorf has a great amount of moves present to him.
For example, why is his sword not used except in his taunt? I'm surprised he doesn't jump in a racing ship for his final smash.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I'm sure this will happen to all the spoiler-evaders. I'm not sure how anyone can be excited about the unlockable roster, though the starting roster is quite unique. It's just that Sakurai chose the wrong characters to make unlockable.

If there is anything you certainly have a point about, OP, it would be how disappointing Sakurai making Ganondorf , Toon Link, Wolf, Falco, and Luigi still SIMILAR (Anyone see clone there? No? Good. :p) to Falcon. That and no Metroid representation, but then I'm a Ridley fan... :p

Now don't quote me on this, but I've heard people state Sakurai saying no clone characters. It could be a rumor some random guy made up, since no one gives a source. But even if he didn't, you must admit characters that are very SIMILAR (Again, doesn't mean clones or semi-clones.) are disappointing. Any "last game" should be rather pleasing, and we got that with Wi-Fi, Subspace Emissary, the Stages, and Stage Builder. But the characters are rather so-so.

Also, sadly, downloadable content shall not happen.

And that concludes this post. [/RANT]

6footninja

Smash Ace
the roster IS very large, but you start out with most of the characters default unlocked. So the reason you didnt feel like there were many characters was the fact that so many were unlocked to begin with. Leaving few left to unlock. If they didnt decide ahead of time to leave those characters unlocked, they wouldnt have been announcing them without the secret warning thing. So maybe then you would feel a little better. But then again, if they left, lets say 8 characters, unlocked from the start, leaving the rest for you to get. Than they would not be getting as much excitement from the people, like you, who didnt want to know about the secret characters, leaving it a surprise. Seeing as characters like metaknight, pit, etc. that were publisized a lot and were making many people excited, would be secrets until the game was out. Limiting their publicity.

All Eyez On E

Smash Cadet
What people fail to realize is that there's over a dozen brand new characters, semi-clones or not. Just those new additions account for more characters total than SSB64's whole character pool. The fact that people still complain is beyond me. I guess some people just expect way too much.

Onion Knight

Smash Cadet
the roster IS very large, but you start out with most of the characters default unlocked. So the reason you didnt feel like there were many characters was the fact that so many were unlocked to begin with. Leaving few left to unlock. If they didnt decide ahead of time to leave those characters unlocked, they wouldnt have been announcing them without the secret warning thing. So maybe then you would feel a little better. But then again, if they left, lets say 8 characters, unlocked from the start, leaving the rest for you to get. Than they would not be getting as much excitement from the people, like you, who didnt want to know about the secret characters, leaving it a surprise. Seeing as characters like metaknight, pit, etc. that were publisized a lot and were making many people excited, would be secrets until the game was out. Limiting their publicity.
I agree, the main newcomers (pit and wario) were publisized into the ground. Captain Olimar should have been an unlockable character in my opinion. My only problem is PC representation.
Still after 3 games only 1 Metroid PC (ZS samus is still cuffed with Samus) and Series like Animal Crossing, Doushin, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars get no PC's.

I guess Sakurai just went the wrong way for Hardcore fan excitement. Of course this is early in the game's release. Once everything settles, I'm sure I will be able to look at the game at a whole and say wow. It's just I'm a bit sad I'm already done "character hunting" and I have only had the game for a day and a half.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well actually... I'm sure that if Sakurai wouldn't have put that Masterpiece junk in it, then there would've been more space. That and Stickers.

Yes I said I don't like Masterpiece. I want to play Super Mario Bros. as much as the next poor sap who hasn't, but come ON. It's just a demo.

But even so, I will still love this game when I get my hands on it this week. <3

Eriorguez

Smash Cadet
I know the standard attacks are different, but a character stands out with its specials. I didn't expect Falco to be much different, and the shooting deflector was a nice addition, but Wolf just seems tacked on.

You be funny man. You make me laugh.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
The final roster is pretty darn bad. If you're satisfied with it, then you must have had some pretty low expectations.

However, the rest of the game is greatness.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Don't count on downloadable characters, if anything, hope for expansion packs in the form of discs.

Also, while a dozen characters were added, you have to realize the time and money that was put into the game. Also, when you find out that one of two the layers for the game is just Subspace cutscenes, you wish the SSE never happened and we got more characters instead. Not to mention that a number of great fighters such as Krystal and Ridley are stuck as NPCs.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Metroid only have 2 characters because Dark Samus and the SA-X would have been clones, and all the villains are 5 times bigger than Samus.

And please...There is no Clones.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The final roster is pretty darn bad. If you're satisfied with it, then you must have had some pretty low expectations.

However, the rest of the game is greatness.
Im satisfied with it... I dont have low expectations, Im a realist. This roster works out just fine, in a few years maybe, you'll let go of the fact that Megaman wasnt in (He didnt have a chance anyway, Nintendo is 1. Upset with Capcom, 2. Sakurai himself said that no other 3rd patys asked to have characters)

Live with it. The roster is fine.

Top Bottom