• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where's my MOTHER?

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
Chrono Trigger was first (RPG), followed by Radical Dreamers (Text Adventure), which is a prequel to Chrono Cross (RPG times 9000).

But, Square reserved the rights to a sequel to the series called "Chrono Break." Yet, it fell through, and they never released it. To this day, people are still e-mailing them to get it out, but for some reason, they won't. I mean, the Chrono Series is a cash cow!

Even though, if I'm not mistaken, Chrono Cross didn't sell too well.
thanks for the info.

But i STILL think that MOTHER is over represented...

blayde_axel

Smash Master
you're right. Chrono Trigger was the one that sold really well. did you play chrono cross? would you tell me what happens in it?
Wow. lol. I laughed so hard at that. If you give me a few... hours... I can figure out the story. Or I could write a book about it, but it wouldn't make much sense.

I loved the game, btw. Lynx FTW.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
thanks for the info.

But i STILL think that MOTHER is over represented...
What if it was just Lucas? Besides, I doubt adding four or five trophies would be considered over repping.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
Thats because there is a secret plan to incorporate downloadable characters ( i hope to god i am right)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wow, just that?? LOL thats really few I admit...

but remember....there are TWO PLAYABLE CHARACTERS from it, thats A LOT.
I'm not going to argue with that, but I'm not saying I agree with it. Anyway, I'd just like to see the essential MOTHER trophies which are Ness and Lucas' party members.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Get over it, we don't need more Mother representation, the other characters aren't as important as Ness and Lucas anyway.
Hi. How 'bout you play the games before making ignorant comments like that? Kthnxbai

N-E-WAYZ... I see where the original poster is getting at... so...

OK!

Mother got 2 playable characters. I was hoping for three, but hey, I was hoping for a forty man roster, and I guess that at 35, 2 is ok. If you want to get Metroid into this, at least Samus and Zamus are totally different... eh... I mean, besides being the same person and all, their movesets and Final Smash are all totally different. While Lucas and Ness get their handful of differences they're still similar characters. Besides that, none of them has PSI that corresponds to them. Except PK Flash. That's a con in Mother representation.

Keeping with the Metroid argument? then, we get one Boss. Ridley at least appears twice. In different forms. DON'T bring Metroid into this. (OK, I've been avoiding spoilers, though I wanted to know the Mother repping in SSE) Although Metroid is a larger series, so it deserves more Bosses, so I'm not complaining.

However...

WHERE ARE MY TROPHIEZ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

I CAN'T EFFING believe there is no ****ing Paula Trophy in Brawl. WTF? The chosen four all got trophies in Melee, and now only Jeff gets in. The only reason I've always resented Ness in Smash is because he took Paula's moves, pretty much closing the door to her in future Smash games. I was content that she got a trophy in Melee, yet mad she couldn't even be cloned, instead of Dr. Mario or Pichu. Or both.

And now, there's no Paula trophy? :( I was hoping she'd be an Assist, and she'd use Pray :(

The Mother series is not overrepresented, nor underrepresented. But it is poorly represented.

Why?

2 Main characters who can't use their own PSI
1 Assist Trophy when the series has been in since 64 (then again, ATs seem to be spread among the NPseries more than being additional reps for the playable ones)
They include Ness, yet include Pokey in his old form, and no Giygas.
Paula, Poo, Duster and Kumatora don't get to at least be Trophies so we can stare at them in 3D.
Etc.

This is only apparent if you're a Mother fan. If you're not you'll just go "Blah blah, only deserved one playable, blah blah, unimportant series, blah blah..." They are hits in Japan, and amazing, breathtaking games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think the title you're looking for is: Where's my METROID?
I know the answer to that. Ridley took it to be cloned for evil.

Prettygoodyear, you summed it up quite nicely. Now that I think about it, MOTHER is poorly represented. It wouldn't be so bad if we got trophies since we'd finally know what Duster and Kumatora look like at the least. Heck, faithful movesets would've been nice. It's not that hard.

The only truth of Mother is that there aren't enough trophies or music.

We don't have...

Poo
Paula
Claus
Starman
Ultimate Chimera (in the game)
Onett (in the game)
Runaway Five (in the game)

It wouldn't be so bad that they excluded the mascot enemy (Starman), but to give a trophy to Porky Statue? And to ignore an even more important character than Porky Statue already in Brawl, the Ultimate Chimera?

And music, my primary gripe is that Fourside's music is gone. Only three music pieces are gone, and for some reason, only the most represented franchise lost songs (SMB and SMBII), while Mother, an already underrepresented franchise, loses a song, while much less deserving songs like the DK Rap make it in. Hell, Fourside was one of the best songs in Melee, and it was a completely original song that uses various ambiances from EarthBound, as well as part of the Sound Stone's music. It was an original song and a quality song, and we only got seven songs for Mother in Brawl, what's eight? If they had to drop one of the bad songs they brought from Melee to bring a good one back?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
About all this MOTHER talk, it seems like in general Sakurai should have not hyped Brawl so much. So we wouldn't be as disappointed about having reps from any series, especially MOTHER.

Not even having Paula as a trophy. That's just horrible. Although one of the lists on this site I think may have said she may be a sticker OR a trophy, but I am not sure which.

^ is right that we needed more Earthbound music.

Spellman

Smash Ace
The only truth of Mother is that there aren't enough trophies or music.

We don't have...

Poo
Paula
Claus
Starman
Ultimate Chimera (in the game)
Onett (in the game)
Runaway Five (in the game)

It wouldn't be so bad that they excluded the mascot enemy (Starman), but to give a trophy to Porky Statue? And to ignore an even more important character than Porky Statue already in Brawl, the Ultimate Chimera?

And music, my primary gripe is that Fourside's music is gone. Only three music pieces are gone, and for some reason, only the most represented franchise lost songs (SMB and SMBII), while Mother, an already underrepresented franchise, loses a song, while much less deserving songs like the DK Rap make it in. Hell, Fourside was one of the best songs in Melee, and it was a completely original song that uses various ambiances from EarthBound, as well as part of the Sound Stone's music. It was an original song and a quality song, and we only got seven songs for Mother in Brawl, what's eight? If they had to drop one of the bad songs they brought from Melee to bring a good one back?
Now now, let's not bash the DK Rap, one of the only songs that had lyrics (which made it cool). While the Donkey Kong Country series is amazing, Donkey Kong 64 was a noble attempt and had loads of good content; classic N64 nostalgia whenever I play it.

I find they concentrated on Earthbound 2 too much and there isn't enough Earthbound content so far. I am a big fan of the series by the way, but Earthbound is really the only one that I can connect with right now. Even though Ness has always gone it alone and hasn't had much representation, it's always kind of given him some notoriousness in Smash Bros. Whenever new people would play the game, I know a lot of people who would be like; "Who is this guy? And where did he come from?" It didn't really matter if he had his posse or not, people were curious about this seemingly random human kid in the game. It lead a lot of people to discover the clues in the trophies and character bios to find out who he is and what he was from, and plenty of people looked around for emulated ROMS and cartridges of the game. And even if they didn't, he still was cool, even if hard to use.

I'm actually not bothered. I just wanted the hero to come back, and he did, whether he had his move set or not. I'd actually be kind of frustrated if they changed it after 2 Smash Bros. games. Many characters borrow each others move sets and some just plain make up move sets if their characters have never fought before.

I know I'll be buying Earthbound on the VC for old times sake. Nothing beats playing a game with a real controller.

And Jeff is wicked.

Edit: lol, having the Runaway Five playing some classic Earthbound themes in jazz or something on a level would have been pretty cool though now that I think about it, but I guess that would be cramping Totakeke's style.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
i hated ness from the beginning claus would have been way better then lucas or ness :(
Wouldn't you have liked it better if Lucas, Ness, Claus and Paula were all in Brawl (if Sakurai would have thought of the double semi-clone character idea)? Then you can beat up Ness all you want with Claus or something?

As long as they all have different moves and different FSmashes (two PK starstorms and three landmasters) I wouldn't see why not.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
About all this MOTHER talk, it seems like in general Sakurai should have not hyped Brawl so much. So we wouldn't be as disappointed about having reps from any series, especially MOTHER.

Not even having Paula as a trophy. That's just horrible. Although one of the lists on this site I think may have said she may be a sticker OR a trophy, but I am not sure which.

^ is right that we needed more Earthbound music.
I believe Paula is a sticker. The only other MOTHER character to get a trophy is Jeff and that's because of his AT status.

I agree with you that Sakurai overhyped the game.

Sogeking

Smash Cadet
Plain and simple MOTHER doesn't have as much fans as series like Fire Emblem or even Metroid

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Wouldn't you have liked it better if Lucas, Ness, Claus and Paula were all in Brawl (if Sakurai would have thought of the double semi-clone character idea)? Then you can beat up Ness all you want with Claus or something?

As long as they all have different moves and different FSmashes (two PK starstorms and three landmasters) I wouldn't see why not.
Actually, as stupid as I may sound, that's the line up I want for SSB4. Except give Lucas and Ness their own moves, and Final Smashes, Paula because someone has to take the old moves and Claus to round it up.

EDIT:

Plain and simple MOTHER doesn't have as much fans as series like Fire Emblem or even Metroid
Warning: Ignorant approaching!!

Mother is a franchise dating back to the NES, and the first two games are million sellers.

Sogeking, all I can say is, hello! And... goodbye! Don't go to heaven.

Oh, and the hierarchy of Mother representation goes...

Ness
Lucas
Claus
Kumatora
Paula

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, as stupid as I may sound, that's the line up I want for SSB4. Except give Lucas and Ness their own moves, and Final Smashes, Paula because someone has to take the old moves and Claus to round it up.
EDIT:
Warning: Ignorant approaching!!
I'd personally choose Kumatora over Paula. However, I'd have Paula be a true alt. with her own voice. Although, I guess it can be vice versa since both fulfill the PSI girl archetype in both their games like how Ness and Lucas fulfill their silent hero archetype.

EDIT: Why do place Kumatora over Paula on the hierarchy list? Is it because she's more recent or what?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I'd personally choose Kumatora over Paula. However, I'd have Paula be a true alt. with her own voice. Although, I guess it can be vice versa since both fulfill the PSI girl archetype in both their games like how Ness and Lucas fulfill their silent hero archetype.

EDIT: Why do place Kumatora over Paula on the hierarchy list? Is it because she's more recent or what?
I'd put Paula instead of Kumatora just for the Pray Final Smash (too awesome), and to balance Mother 2 and Mother 3.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd put Paula instead of Kumatora just for the Pray Final Smash (too awesome), and to balance Mother 2 and Mother 3.
I'm fine with that as long as KT's a Paula alt. with her own voice. Pray would own as a Final Smash. What would it do though? Maybe it could be a random PSI like STARSTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM, GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUND, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM, or the rarest of them all: Instant Death(wouldn't that be ironic).

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I'm fine with that as long as KT's a Paula alt. with her own voice. Pray would own as a Final Smash. What would it do though? Maybe it could be a random PSI like STARSTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM, GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUND, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM, or the rarest of them all: Instant Death(wouldn't that be ironic).
I went to gamefaqs to get the full list:

Subtle light: Recovers 6% of max HP for all party members. This seems
to occur the most often.

Warm light: Recovers 12% of max HP for all party members.

Golden light: Recovers full HP for a single party member.

Mysterious light: Recovers miniscule PP for all party members.

Dazzling light(type 1): Flash[alpha] on all party members and enemies.
The battle dialogue window will describe this
light as enveloping Ness and his friends.

Dazzling light(type 2): Moderate damage to a single enemy. The battle
dialogue window will describe this light as
chasing an enemy.

Mysterious aroma: Puts all party members and enemies to sleep--success
rate is rather high.

Heaven rending sound: Makes all party members and enemies feel
strange--success rate is rather high.

Heavy air: Slightly decreases the Defense of all party members and
enemies for the duration of the battle.

Rainbow colored light: Revives all unconscious party members and
defeated enemies with full HP.

Not that they have to use all of those... or they could combine some of the effects...
Or it could behave like in the fight against Giygas, that would be awesome

Hmm... Healing? Putting people to sleep?

Paula = Peach??? :confused:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's kind of why I like Kumatora more. Paula and Ana look too much like Peach in comparison, but that's just me.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I'd take Paula over Peach any day.

I was just thinking about combining all of them and messing around with people.

My idea for Paula's prayer is Rainbow Light as an FSmash. It'd cause like 40% damage to all enemies (there is no dodging it) and cause Paula to gain +40% health (meaning her % goes down by 40%) and all enemies either go to sleep or stunned (I want stun though so it isn't like Peach's). 3% chance to do instant KO on all people (even from 0%) and fully heal Paula.

Paula should also smack people with her Teddy Bear and of course the frying pan. That'd make her too much like Peach but Peach doesn't have PK powers.

I'd also hope that despite the whole embarassing Teddy Bear ordeal, they'd make Paula if they have her in some storyline mode (not like SSE that looks not so good) in SB4 more like a mature person rather than a girly girly young immature girl. At least that's how I'd imagine her, more like being less of a Lip/Peach and more like a strong woman of faith and determination. That, and having Paula's theme as music would be awesome. Don't forget Twoson's music theme too.

EDIT: Also, is ok to tell a bit about Kumatora's history? What ethnicity is she?

I'd think Paula as a strong faith-filled woman would be the opposite personality wise to Peach, despite carrying around that teddy bear.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
No, I don't mean an adult Paula. I just mean that Paula should still look like herself (she's around 13 is that correct?) but I wanted her even though she didn't talk so overly much to act so childish like being all cutesy tootsy. Like how Peach in her super girly voice goes "Oh, did I win?" when she wins seems so girly and immature. A 13 year old Paula can act more serious like... at least that was the impression I had of her personality in the game Earthbound/Mother 2.

No age changes. If Paula were a real life person she'd probably be like 24-28 years old right now because Mother 2 was made in 1995 I think.

I just would have wanted her personality to be more serious-like and less girly like Peach is.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Are you all forgetting that Sakurai actually cut out a mother rep from Melee?
He took Giegue out of the game!

haha, get it? I'm referring to mewtwo, cuz mewtwo is essentially based off of giegue, hahahaha...

*sigh*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd take Paula over Peach any day.

I was just thinking about combining all of them and messing around with people.

My idea for Paula's prayer is Rainbow Light as an FSmash. It'd cause like 40% damage to all enemies (there is no dodging it) and cause Paula to gain +40% health (meaning her % goes down by 40%) and all enemies either go to sleep or stunned (I want stun though so it isn't like Peach's). 3% chance to do instant KO on all people (even from 0%) and fully heal Paula.

Paula should also smack people with her Teddy Bear and of course the frying pan. That'd make her too much like Peach but Peach doesn't have PK powers.

I'd also hope that despite the whole embarassing Teddy Bear ordeal, they'd make Paula if they have her in some storyline mode (not like SSE that looks not so good) in SB4 more like a mature person rather than a girly girly young immature girl. At least that's how I'd imagine her, more like being less of a Lip/Peach and more like a strong woman of faith and determination. That, and having Paula's theme as music would be awesome. Don't forget Twoson's music theme too.

EDIT: Also, is ok to tell a bit about Kumatora's history? What ethnicity is she?

I'd think Paula as a strong faith-filled woman would be the opposite personality wise to Peach, despite carrying around that teddy bear.
It's fine to tell a bit of Kumatora. As for her ethnicity, I don't know. My guess is Japanese or something else.

Top Bottom