• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you think Kirby will land on the tier list now?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I think high middle or low high for the least because he now has great combo potential and a better options against shields overall but he still has the hammer and his backthrow isnt as useful.. but anyway, I think Ill go back to using him as secondary since I think he is on the level of Mario (I guess)

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Mid. Maybe high-mid. Yes this update did a lot but he still has his weaknesses, like bad approach options and range. His good MUs just got better really.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
He would be pretty great with good kill throws. The throw combo is great, but you only get one per stock and you usually can't get more than 30-40% from it. Regardless, his damage output is undeniably good. Give him a reliable way to secure stocks from a grab at 130-150% without rage and his only problem is basically approaching.

I think after a solid kill throw buff, he's probably be on the low side of high tier. Doesn't have the speed or projectile to make it to the upper high tiers or top tiers, but his strengths can't be overlooked.

Without the good kill throws, he's probably mid tier like most people think.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm too lazy to explain, but he's pretty much mid-tier customs off, high mid-tier customs on. Although if you've been keeping up with my posts, there isn't much need to explain anything anyways.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Imo high tier (Although numercially high-mid) for customs off, customs on he simply is high tier

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I think he is on the level of Mario (I guess)

Vanilla Kirby is upper-mid tier at best. Him having an actual combo game is a boon for sure but doesn't relieve his other larger fundamental flaws as a character. The other tools are welcome additions but don't do that much for him. I would have liked to have seen buffs in more crucial areas.

Last edited:

FirstaLasto

Smash Cadet
Kirby is a useful counterpick (wrecks a lot of fast-fallers with his new fthrow combos) but still has a hard time against a lot of high tier threats. Upper mid-tier sounds about right.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Mario isnt thqt great either, he doesnt have lots of potential and even tho he has a better frame data he is not that versatile

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Mario isnt thqt great either, he doesnt have lots of potential and even tho he has a better frame data he is not that versatile
Mario is pretty versatile. Has no really bad matchups... he's pretty good.

On topic: High-mid without customs sounds reasonable. What's our Sheik matchup looking like now?

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
Upper mid for sure, customs off. Customs? Maybe high tier, jump inhale, hammer bash and Upper cutter make him a force to be reconned with.
All Kirby needs to be high tier is a solid kill throw and more speed overall.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Can confirm Kirby is a little better at damage racking (which he is already pretty decent at)
Killing is still hard and requires reads, so he's still not high tier imo. Killing is a little easier with customs on, but even then I'm not sure about high tier, because there are so many other good characters too!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Can confirm Kirby is a little better at damage racking (which he is already pretty decent at)
Killing is still hard and requires reads, so he's still not high tier imo. Killing is a little easier with customs on, but even then I'm not sure about high tier, because there are so many other good characters too!
After watching ESAM'S Pikachu, I'm kinda glad all of our smashes can kill, at least (though Pikachu has that deadly mobility).

BTW, ZeRo's adaptation makes me wonder - does our Nair stop QA?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Since Kirby's match ups are still mostly close match ups he would be at least C tier or lower B tier.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
BTW, ZeRo's adaptation makes me wonder - does our Nair stop QA?
Pikachu's Quick Attack? Of course it does! Basically any hitbox we have can beat QA, except maybe Jab, I dunno. It's just a matter of knowing when and where he's going to use it. Esam was being pretty predictable with QA spam in those matches, but if he used them sparingly, it would be harder to deal with them.
Also to be fair, Pikachu's Upsmash comes out as fast as our fastest smash, and kills earlier than anything we have.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hmm...
Pros: Can combo pretty well
Great recovery
Fantastic air game
Has good KO moves like Side Smash and Hammer Flip
Has a fast pummel and good grab game
Can duck under certain attacks
U-Special gives him a decent spacing tool
Keeps getting buffed each update

Cons:
Is incredibly light
Not very fast on ground and in air
Doesn't have any good kill throws
Some of his moves can be easily punished like Stone, Hammer Flip, and his Smash attacks

I'm not one for making tier lists, but I'd probably put Kirby in the lower mid tier section. He has some great strengths like his combo ability and his good grab game, but his strengths are major strengths. While Kirby's weight shouldn't be changed, I would like him to be a little faster on both the ground and in the air, and make his U-Throw a good kill throw (140% would probably be a good kill throw).

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Upper mid tier, dude needs a kill throw to jump any further. That would certainly make his lack of approach and reliable kill setups at the very least justified.

There he might be able to go higher in the tier.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Pikachu's Quick Attack? Of course it does! Basically any hitbox we have can beat QA, except maybe Jab, I dunno. It's just a matter of knowing when and where he's going to use it. Esam was being pretty predictable with QA spam in those matches, but if he used them sparingly, it would be harder to deal with them.
Also to be fair, Pikachu's Upsmash comes out as fast as our fastest smash, and kills earlier than anything we have.
Um I'm not so sure, I believe ours is actually stronger.
Tested on Mario on FD ours kills at 100%
Pikas at 107%
On eachother, Kirby kills Pika at 89%
For Pika 97%
Yea ours is undeniably stronger, but his is faster, I think the range is pretty much even, but who has setups? Besides our Dair.....maybe? At least it's possible

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ah. Maybe I'm thinking of Melee/possibly Brawl Pikachu Upsmash, which was among the strongest in the game. Pikachu's just seems more deadly because it comes out faster, and his runspeed is significantly faster, and he might have combos/setups into it. But mostly just the speed.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Do you want us to sugarcoat it, or be realistic? Most of the people that hype up their mains, whether they main Kirby or other characters, are younger players that haven't been to tournaments and played high level players. Even I thought Kirby was ridiculously good when this game first came out, and all I had for practice was For Glory. Honestly, Kirby is usable. If you're really good, and you go to your local tournaments, there's a very good chance you can win with solo Kirby, or at least place top 3. Once people learn the matchup, it might be a little tougher. If you go to regional or national tournaments, prepare to struggle, badly. No Kirby placed top 32 in Apex, CEO, or Evo, or any other big tournament recently, to my knowledge. I know @ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D got top 17 at Smashcon this past week, but I don't know how much Kirby he used? I saw him use Kirby against a ZSS on stream, but I don't know if he went solo Kirby.

tl;dr Kirby's ok, but the best characters in this game are better than ok

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Do you want us to sugarcoat it, or be realistic? Most of the people that hype up their mains, whether they main Kirby or other characters, are younger players that haven't been to tournaments and played high level players. Even I thought Kirby was ridiculously good when this game first came out, and all I had for practice was For Glory. Honestly, Kirby is usable. If you're really good, and you go to your local tournaments, there's a very good chance you can win with solo Kirby, or at least place top 3. Once people learn the matchup, it might be a little tougher. If you go to regional or national tournaments, prepare to struggle, badly. No Kirby placed top 32 in Apex, CEO, or Evo, or any other big tournament recently, to my knowledge. I know @ Smash G 0 D Smash G 0 D got top 17 at Smashcon this past week, but I don't know how much Kirby he used? I saw him use Kirby against a ZSS on stream, but I don't know if he went solo Kirby.

tl;dr Kirby's ok, but the best characters in this game are better than ok
But,does that means mid or high tier? Or the odd mix of high-mid?

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Keep in mind even some great characters like Peach or PAC are heavily underused meaning that people aren't getting to see their top potential, Kirby being the same, as well.
Some people really just don't bother trying to learn a character as best as they can, before choosing a top 10.

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind even some great characters like Peach or PAC are heavily underused meaning that people aren't getting to see their top potential, Kirby being the same, as well.
Some people really just don't bother trying to learn a character as best as they can, before choosing a top 10.
Dude Kirby is not that good, don't hype him up too much or he never get buffs he actually needs anymore...

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
You mean tier top 10?

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Dude Kirby is not that good, don't hype him up too much or he never get buffs he actually needs anymore...
Well I meant he's good, but even some other better characters have so Little representation :(
Though yea he needs a couple more REASONABLE buffs, like........I guess a good kill throw or........a buff to final cutter where the meteor smash lands much more consistently?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
But,does that means mid or high tier? Or the odd mix of high-mid?
I really don't know. He's not top 10, 15, or probably 20. There are so many characters in this game, and so many of them don't get played in certain local regions. I have very little in-person Sheik experience, for example, even though Sheik's the best character. I have plenty of experience against other tournament threats though, such as ZSS, Sonic, Luigi, Fox, Villager, etc. It's hard to say who's worse or better than Kirby. Kirby's good enough not to be bottom tier, or "low" tier, but I don't know if he's "mid" or "high." He is what he is: good, but not amazing, in a game where being amazing is almost a requirement to be a serious tournament threat.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I really don't know. He's not top 10, 15, or probably 20. There are so many characters in this game, and so many of them don't get played in certain local regions. I have very little in-person Sheik experience, for example, even though Sheik's the best character. I have plenty of experience against other tournament threats though, such as ZSS, Sonic, Luigi, Fox, Villager, etc. It's hard to say who's worse or better than Kirby. Kirby's good enough not to be bottom tier, or "low" tier, but I don't know if he's "mid" or "high." He is what he is: good, but not amazing, in a game where being amazing is almost a requirement to be a serious tournament threat.
The power rankings in the competitive thread has Kirby looking pretty good. That he's not awful against the characters you'll see the most definitely helps... save for Sonic. I'd say Luigi too, but Luigi only seems to be dropping. So current metagame? I'd say mid at least, but personal opinion is high-mid. Maybe a little outside Top 20? It's kind of funny... we barely have the Top 10 and Bottom 10. Between that is wild.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Because if the people on Kirby's section bash Kirby, what's left for Kirby? I main Megaman and he is not a popularly great character but people in the Megaman's section believe that Megaman can do great and we have proven that to ourselves by beating Top Tiers with Megaman or placing good in tournaments.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Because if the people on Kirby's section bash Kirby, what's left for Kirby? I main Megaman and he is not a popularly great character but people in the Megaman's section believe that Megaman can do great and we have proven that to ourselves by beating Top Tiers with Megaman or placing good in tournaments.
We don't bash Kirby. I think we could see him do better if he had more consistent representation. MikeKirby and TripleR are probably our best, but I don't see them at majors very often. SmashGod did pretty well at SmashCon, but he doesn't even main Kirby(?).

So... you know. ZeRo seems to think highly of him, and in the competitive survey people have put him on both the top and bottom. So no one really knows.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
We don't bash Kirby. I think we could see him do better if he had more consistent representation. MikeKirby and TripleR are probably our best, but I don't see them at majors very often. SmashGod did pretty well at SmashCon, but he doesn't even main Kirby(?).

So... you know. ZeRo seems to think highly of him, and in the competitive survey people have put him on both the top and bottom. So no one really knows.
The only reason WHY is that Mikekirby's on a vacation, he even said he wanted to go to EVO. Where he probably would have done pretty good, not top 8 but at least top 32, considering it was customs on.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The only reason WHY is that Mikekirby's on a vacation, he even said he wanted to go to EVO. Where he probably would have done pretty good, not top 8 but at least top 32, considering it was customs on.
Oh, I didn't say MikeKirby couldn't do well. Just that I don't see him as often. Except at random locals.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Well, perhaps Mega Man is just better than Kirby. I'm sure the Kirby boards aren't being needlessly pessimistic.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Kirby should be around mid-tier. He has workable matchups against some of the high tiers that usually dominate the cast (eg ZSS and Sheik). I used Rosa for most of my bracket this weekend, but I beat Bengal and False using Kirby (ZSS and Marth, respectively).

Top Bottom